Menu

Brag Alert: Watch DD's performance on NPR's From the Top

My 17 yo dd has played the violin since she was 5 (began in Suzuki). She began playing chamber music when she was 12. This past week, dd traveled to Ames, IA, along with 7 other members of her octet, to record a program for NPR's From the Top. NPR filmed (flipcam quality) the performance, and posted it on their website. When you get to the page, scroll down to the Ames, IA portion and then look for the Octet Abbraccio clip. Dd is 3rd violin from the left. http://greenroom.fromthetop.org/ The radio program will air on local NPR stations the week of June 14.

We could never have made the commitment to music that we did if we hadn't homeschooled. Even though this particular dd went to a public alternative school these past two years, it was her many years of homeschooling that gave us the flexibility to make violin an important part of her education. For those of you with young Suzuki players--stick with it. Kids can make enormous progress in 12 years of playing!

Enjoy!

Beth

dd also wanted me to add this link

this is her octet playing in various airports (and one applebee's) during the trip! Edited by Beth in OH
added the date of the radio broadcast

You must be so proud :001_smile:.

You know, it's funny. I am very proud, but truly no more proud than when she played in her first violin recital. I've been blessed with hundreds of proud moments times 3 dd's who are musicians. Every step of the journey is an accomplishment that makes a momma cry :001_smile: This was a lovely way to end dd's high school career, though, and that she was able to do it with kids who have become like family to her was extra special.

Beth

You have every right to brag! It was beautiful! Congratulations to your family.

You know, it's funny. I am very proud, but truly no more proud than when she played in her first violin recital.

This really touched me. My dc just had their second piano recital yesterday and it was impossible to think I could be prouder of them :001_smile:.

Beth, that was stunning! I'm a big believer in Suzuki myself; I've seen and heard marvelous results with the method.

There was a young lady in St. Louis about 10 years ago who asked to be homeschooled because she wanted to major in music--also violin. Being homeschooled gave her the flexibility she needed for the rigorous practice time she needed. She was also a National Merit finalist.

Congratulations to you both! You've done a wonderful job. :hurray:

Guest Katia

Absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing with us. My youngest dd had her senior piano recital this year, and I agree with you that I was just as proud of her playing her last recital as I was when she played her first piano piece at the nursing home.

This gift of music that you have given your children will last them their entire lifetime. Great job, Mom!

I'm so glad that so many of you enjoyed the performance--chamber music is a beautiful art form, and it has enriched our lives enormously! Dd really enjoyed reading your reactions and congratulations. I've been especially contemplative lately since I'm graduating my 2nd child, and I wanted to pass along a few thoughts. Please indulge me......

None of the kids in that video is a prodigy. None of those kids had an early passion to play their instrument, nor did they voluntarily go off and practice for the love of it. (Those kids are out there, but I believe they are truly the exception.) My Suzuki bag of tricks to get young kids (I consider 10 yo's still to be young) to do a certain number of repititions was vast. What all of those kids have, though, are parents who did what each of you are doing--they invested in their children. For you, it might not be music, rather it could be academics, sports, 4-H, science fairs........You are creating a family culture of learning something, working at it, and sticking with it over a number of years. You can do this even if you're not homeschooling (the octet is comprised mainly of public schoolers, with one private, and dd as the token hs'er.). As parents, we show our kids that learning is a journey. One foot in front of the other.

None of what was in that video came naturally to any of those kids. I know you all know that the musical ability came through practice, but even the movement and communication between players was learned. These kids have spent many hours over a period of years learning the art of communication from musicians who coach them. Bottom line--never assume that your child won't be able to do something because he or she doesn't have the natural ability that someone else seems to have. Natural ability is overrated--sticking with something for the long term and continuing to improve is what makes a difference. It's also a characteristic that marks fine young adults who will ultimately be employed.

I want to encourage all of you to stay the course and hang in there with your kids (even if they are in public school). The kids in this video come from families that have been touched by unemployment, depression, rebellious teens, difficult marraiges, aging parents.....the stuff life is made of. Keep walking it out. What you accomplish during the difficult times still contributes to the end result, even if it might not meet your standards of excellence.

Enjoy the journey. This chapter ends all too quickly.

Beth

My ds is going to his first audition today.....he is not a prodigy by any means but he has worked very hard.

It's a little nerve wracking, isn't it? I think it will help him if Mom stands in the hall and vibratos for him while he's in there. (Maybe I'm the only nut who does that. Nervous habit--dd laughs because I do it with my right hand!)

What's he auditioning for?

Beth

this is her octet playing in various airports (and one applebee's) during the trip!

Actually, dd added this to my post, and I found it this morning. Her octet would love to see a lot of hits at Youtube......

My dc just had their second piano recital yesterday and it was impossible to think I could be prouder of them :001_smile:.

The important question is, did you cry? I've always loved recitals, because they totally showcase the learning that takes place over a period of years. I am just as proud of the other kids in our teachers' studios as I am of my own. It takes enormous courage to put yourself out there like that!

Beth

Hey Beth,

Thanks for sending me a PM with a link to this thread. As usual...a fantastic job by dd. It has been so encouraging to hear about her progress over the years.

Kudos to dd and to you. I always think of you when ever we are faced with another huge commitment of time with ds' violin involvement. I am relieved to not have the over an hour each way time commute to lessons here like we did in MN.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care.

My 17 yo dd has played the violin since she was 5 (began in Suzuki). She began playing chamber music when she was 12. This past week, dd traveled to Ames, IA, along with 7 other members of her octet, to record a program for NPR's From the Top. NPR filmed (flipcam quality) the performance, and posted it on their website. When you get to the page, scroll down to the Ames, IA portion and then look for the Octet Abbraccio clip. Dd is 3rd violin from the left. http://greenroom.fromthetop.org/ The radio program will air on local NPR stations the week of June 14.

Enjoy!

Beth

this is her octet playing in various airports (and one applebee's) during the trip!

I'm so glad that so many of you enjoyed the performance--chamber music is a beautiful art form, and it has enriched our lives enormously! Dd really enjoyed reading your reactions and congratulations. I've been especially contemplative lately since I'm graduating my 2nd child, and I wanted to pass along a few thoughts. Please indulge me......

None of the kids in that video is a prodigy. None of those kids had an early passion to play their instrument, nor did they voluntarily go off and practice for the love of it. (Those kids are out there, but I believe they are truly the exception.) My Suzuki bag of tricks to get young kids (I consider 10 yo's still to be young) to do a certain number of repititions was vast. What all of those kids have, though, are parents who did what each of you are doing--they invested in their children. For you, it might not be music, rather it could be academics, sports, 4-H, science fairs........You are creating a family culture of learning something, working at it, and sticking with it over a number of years. You can do this even if you're not homeschooling (the octet is comprised mainly of public schoolers, with one private, and dd as the token hs'er.). As parents, we show our kids that learning is a journey. One foot in front of the other.

None of what was in that video came naturally to any of those kids. I know you all know that the musical ability came through practice, but even the movement and communication between players was learned. These kids have spent many hours over a period of years learning the art of communication from musicians who coach them. Bottom line--never assume that your child won't be able to do something because he or she doesn't have the natural ability that someone else seems to have. Natural ability is overrated--sticking with something for the long term and continuing to improve is what makes a difference. It's also a characteristic that marks fine young adults who will ultimately be employed.

I want to encourage all of you to stay the course and hang in there with your kids (even if they are in public school). The kids in this video come from families that have been touched by unemployment, depression, rebellious teens, difficult marraiges, aging parents.....the stuff life is made of. Keep walking it out. What you accomplish during the difficult times still contributes to the end result, even if it might not meet your standards of excellence.

Enjoy the journey. This chapter ends all too quickly.

Beth

Wow. The music was beautiful, and so is this post. Thank you for the encouragement!

Gorgeous, Beth. I know you're so proud. That represents thousands of hours of practice and commitment. Congratulations to your dd and her friends. I have two violin kiddos and wanted to ask you a question regarding traveling on airlines. Can you share your experience/knowhow?

I'll send a private message. Congratulations for a successful end to YOUR huge commitment, driving, listening, correcting, learning, etc, as well. Her success represents a great mom as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, dd added this to my post, and I found it this morning. Her octet would love to see a lot of hits at Youtube......

Now there's a lucky dude! Ha!

Really, Beth, those kids looked like they were having SO much fun playing for whatever audience happened by -- and I think that's the gift.

Cheers!

Now there's a lucky dude! Ha!

The downside is that they've spent so many hours over so many years working together, they're just like brother and sisters! They do have a lot of fun playing together, and they all care deeply for one another.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Beth