Menu

s/o Scrapbooking.....disposable income for hobbies?

Guest Katia

Guest Katia

On the scrapbooking thread, I kept reading about people using their disposable income on their hobbies, whatever those hobbies may be. There was even a long list of things typed out that people use their disposable income on, and I honestly have never done or purchased any of those things (pedi, mani, hair color, get-away weekends, etc). I was curious: how many of you, here, have disposable income?

This made me think that perhaps those that don't understand the hobbies of others (as in "wow, that seems excessive") are the ones that don't have or have never had disposable income. I know I never could understand how people could spend so much money on (fill-in-the-blank). But then, we have never had any extra money to spend on hobbies of any kind, so anything other than paying bills and buying groceries seems excessive to me. I suppose homeschooling is the closest thing to a 'hobby' I have had in 28 years of marriage :glare: if you could possibly call it that.

So what do you think? Is disposable income spent on hobbies,etc. something that the 'haves'(those with income to dispose of) just take for granted and that the 'have nots' (those hoping to just survive with their income) will never understand because they can't afford to do them? Sort of a cultural divide?

We have money for hobbies.

But, we also cut our own hair, wear clothes from Salvation Army, shop at Aldi's, never go out to eat or to the movies, drive a 17 year old vehicle, and set the thermostat really, really low in the winter and high in the summer. Different priorities.

I'm not sure the wow response was as much a measure of how much money people have to "blow" as much as about not understanding the attraction of a certain hobby.

We do have disposable income here, but I think the amount my husband and son spend on skiing is sort of a waste because it's not something I'd do. They love it, though.

I don't scrapbook and I also don't do the mani/pedi thing. I'm saving up my share of "blow" for a trip to Italy. ;)

We don't take our disposable income for granted because there was a time not long ago when we didn't have it.

I was curious: how many of you, here, have disposable income?

So what do you think? Is disposable income spent on hobbies,etc. something that the 'haves'(those with income to dispose of) just take for granted and that the 'have nots' (those hoping to just survive with their income) will never understand because they can't afford to do them? Sort of a cultural divide?

Interesting way to look at it... I've never really thought about it in this way.

I don't really have a hobby - unless you count the voracious consumption and collection of books as such. ;) We do have disposable income and as mentioned, I'm constantly reading and like to buy lots of books (although I'm using the library more now - mainly because we're simply out of room!!).

In terms of the impact of disposable income on hobbies, I guess that can be a factor but I would imagine that there are plenty of hobbies that don't cost much. When I was still working full-time, I didn't have time for hobbies although I had plenty of money. I had more hobbies as a child, and I was raised by a single mom who was struggling to get by. So in my case at least, the equation of "more disposable income = more hobbies" has not held true. It's been the opposite.

Guest Katia

But, we also cut our own hair, wear clothes from Salvation Army, shop at Aldi's, never go out to eat or to the movies, drive a 17 year old vehicle, and set the thermostat really, really low in the winter and high in the summer. Different priorities.

See, I don't follow this, for my case. As one with no disposable income, I must do these things you have listed just to survive. The priority is to have enough money to pay basic bills and purchase groceries.

I would say getting hair cut at a salon (sometimes a gal will trim mine once a year), driving a new(er) vehicle (mine is a 1999), setting the thermostat at a comfy temp (heat in winter at 62) are excessive. We simply can't afford that kind of thing. But, by doing all the things you have listed above (and more) we STILL have no disposable income.

So, I don't think it's about priorities. But that's a good thought. And, maybe for some it is?

Guest Katia
Interesting way to look at it... I've never really thought about it in this way.

I don't really have a hobby - unless you count the voracious consumption and collection of books as such. ;) We do have disposable income and as mentioned, I'm constantly reading and like to buy lots of books (although I'm using the library more now - mainly because we're simply out of room!!).

In terms of the impact of disposable income on hobbies, I guess that can be a factor but I would imagine that there are plenty of hobbies that don't cost much. When I was still working full-time, I didn't have time for hobbies although I had plenty of money. I had more hobbies as a child, and I was raised by a single mom who was struggling to get by. So in my case at least, the equation of "more disposable income = more hobbies" has not held true. It's been the opposite.

Interesting. Do children's hobbies cost less than adult hobbies? Or, do children just have less money to spend on their hobbies? Or......do adults go over-board with their hobbies because they 'can' spend it?

Feeling philosophical tonight, I guess. :D

I currently don't have a lot of disposable income for hobbies because we are at a place where kids are very $; college for one.

My interests tend towards the practical-- cooking, reading, gardening, raising heirloom poultry, being outside, knitting etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

Interesting. Do children's hobbies cost less than adult hobbies? Or, do children just have less money to spend on their hobbies? Or......do adults go over-board with their hobbies because they 'can' spend it?

"hobby" can mean a WIDE variety of things. I take it to mean something/anything???? that you ENJOY spending your time doing. Some people think of cooking as a hobby and some people think of it as an excruciatingly tedious, but necessary, activity.

Not all hobbies are expensive. Fishing, hiking, running, even scrapbooking, can be done with minimal equipmant....one-time purchases, etc.... Or they can be done with the latest and greatest equipment and constant classes. I think that, in general, if people have more money....they will spend more money on a hobby. For children or adults.

Perhaps TIME is a bigger indicator of hobbies than MONEY? Now that my two kiddos are getting older, I am getting my time back and have been enjoying getting back into my hobbies again. My biggest hobby (reading enjoyable twaddle) can be free (if I can stay away from Barnes and Noble,) but for years I didn't have the time to read.

I have disposable income for hobbies now, but I have lived on an extremely low income (before kids) and I still managed to have a hobby. I got into oil painting- I would buy one single tube every time I got my social security check. Sometimes I would find them 2nd hand or someone would buy me a beautiful colour. I painted on gyprock scraps I found discarded in bins on building sites. Turps was cheap- I reused the dirty turps over and over. But- it was my passion to paint so I made it happen. I couldn't aford to buy coffees or take away food, I bought all my clothes 2nd hand and I had very few clothes.

Now that I have kids if I was that limited in my income I think I would not be spending that tiny amonunt of extra $ on myself- maybe- I dont know.

I think its about having creative outlets, not what they actually are. You can be creative in lots of ways- I find it very creative to be frugal, and our income has dropped lately so I am having to go through and work out where we can cut back. Cooking can be creative. Gardening can be creative. Recycling can be creative. You can paint and draw with children's crayons and watercolours and be creative.

But yes...scrapbooking is for those with disposable income, for sure, in the way that most people scrapbook, anyway. It would be quite possible to scrap book using leftover greeting, birthday and christmas cards, pictures from magazines, drawing and painting- and you would end up with a very unique end product.

There will always be people with less, and people with more that ourselves, and it doesnt help to always be looking at the people with more. Make compost from your kitchen scraps and create a garden. The possibilities are endless. I think the word 'hobby' is a bit of a way of making something sound like an extra thats a luxury, which is I guess your point, but I think it's about following your passions and expressing creativity which can really be done at any level.

For many people, like me when I was younger, money was scarce, but I was time rich (and stll am), and that is a luxury many with high incomes dont have.

Hobbies can be a good source of gifts. Dh & I have never had much $, but mil loves knowing that I like scrapbooking--it makes it easier for her to shop for me. I love how predictable her gifts are--when I end up in the craft store drooling over something (not something expensive--say $30 or less), I know there's a good chance I'll get a gift card from her for Christmas/bday, which are 6mos apart, so never a long wait, lol. :001_smile:j

I'm the only person my generation in my family who sews, so I get stuff for that from my grandmother as she gets too old to sew as much, from my mom as she culls, from the neighbor who is the head of the theater dept at the local cc, etc.

Luckily, writing is cheap. :D

Guest Katia

Perhaps TIME is a bigger indicator of hobbies than MONEY? Now that my two kiddos are getting older, I am getting my time back and have been enjoying getting back into my hobbies again. My biggest hobby (reading enjoyable twaddle) can be free (if I can stay away from Barnes and Noble,) but for years I didn't have the time to read.

This is an excellent thought! And, sometimes we just have to make that time, or carve it out.

As a mother of two tots, I have plenty of time, but very little of it can be devoted to anything terribly constructive! Dh is also unemployed, but I still have a bit of disposable income out of my social security payments. Not a lot, but enough that I can actually save up for things. The less time and money I have, the less I DO with my hobbies. Instead I read and think about them. I don't feel bad about that most of the time because I couldn't do anything if I didn't have the information. I see this time of life as an information collection stage, so I'll have all that knowledge banked up for when the kids are a bit bigger and dh's pay packet is a bit larger. I don't suppose I'd feel so positive if this stage was going to last until everyone moved out, though...

I am also a practical type of person so my hobbies have useful value. No offense to my hubby and his RPGs of course ;) I understand that particular hobby, and it is cheap, but it doesn't result in anything wearable or edible :) When we were poor students and barely had disposable income (meaning saving up for luxuries couldn't happen this side of graduation) we played role playing games with dh's mates, improved our cooking skills (well we had to eat anyway, so trying new recipes didn't hurt the budget) and turned the weekly shop into a day out. We'd take our backpacks and catch the train into town each Saturday to shop at the market. We'd each spend $5 on lunch and feel very luxurious!

Rosie

our disposable income has a different name. We call it VET BILLS. I was born an animal lover and will die an animal lover. I have what I consider to be my own self funded rescue farm with 37 animals. Things went well the first five years and then I opened my BIG mouth and told hubby we were so fortunate not to have had any unexpected emergencies with so many animals. Our disposable income could have paid cash for a nice car in the past few years. Or a very nice vacation or two. I won't even go into details as I fear I may suffer from heart failure.

But the animals are doing well, thankyouverymuch. :D

I am also a practical type of person so my hobbies have useful value. No offense to my hubby and his RPGs of course ;) I understand that particular hobby, and it is cheap, but it doesn't result in anything wearable or edible :)

Rosie

ok, I give up. Surely your husband's hobby isn't his interest in rocket propelled grenades? you don't have those, do you???

:eek::eek::eek: I just can't think of what an RPG is.

ok, I give up. Surely your husband's hobby isn't his interest in rocket propelled grenades? you don't have those, do you???

:eek::eek::eek: I just can't think of what an RPG is.

What? You mean you don't know RPG means Role Playing Game? I thought everyone knew that! :tongue_smilie: Dungeons and Dragons is the most well known, but there are better rule systems.

Rosie- resident of geekland

What? You mean you don't know RPG means Role Playing Game? I thought everyone knew that! :tongue_smilie: Dungeons and Dragons is the most well known, but there are better rule systems.

oh my. Me thinks me is a little embarrassed. :blushing: Well you know about those rumors of being sheltered because you're homeschooled. Or in my case, homeschooling. :D

I totally get what you're saying. It IS almost like a social status symbol -that you have a disposable income and the time to do it.

I'm with the other poster that said they shop differently so that they can have the income and I my household priorities are different than others so I have the time. Although I always joke about one dear friend- that cleaning the house IS her hobby.

I never used to think like that until a close friend lost her job and had not 2 dollars for a coffee. I stopped telling her everything I was making.

If you consider our animals a hobby, we spend a ridiculous amount of time and money on our hobby.

Somehow we have always had disposable income. Even when I first quit work to stay home with my oldest and we spent $80 a week on groceries, I had $20 a month just for myself. I felt pretty lucky to have it.

My hobby limitations right now are space and little people more than money. The only hobby I've had for years that I can still do easily is reading. I love books, love to read new things, find new authors, etc.

I used to like scrapbooking. I have the disposible income to do it still but not the space to do it without little hands helping.

My "hobbies" now are probably centered around homeschooling - researching, reading forums, trying out new things. I don't buy a lot of curriculum stuff - mostly books that can be used for years since the idea of being frugal doesn't die easy even if the money is available. We're still gearing up for "real" school so I'm sure I'll continue to have lots of opportunity to research, plan and purchase for at least a few more years. :tongue_smilie:

I also enjoy photography, blogging (when I have time) and I'm trying to learn to knit (but it's not going well).

I think it is a combination of time and money.

Take quilting for example. Piecing or patchwork used to be something the poor and frugal did. They would take otherwise useless scraps of fabric and make bed coverings from them. The rich were more likely to have blankets and whole-cloth bedcovers. The only equipment needed were scissors, needles, and thread. Making a quilt took time, but time was often easier to come by than money. The daughters of the house could practice their stitches on the quilts.

Today, quilting has become a hobby for those with time and money. You can purchase many blankets for less than the amount of money invested in a single quilt. Some people do still use scraps of fabric and useable pieces of worn clothing. Those with disposable income buy new fabric to cut into small pieces. You can buy scissors, rotary cutters, cutting mats, rulers, plastic templates, books of patterns, sharps and betweens (needles), sewing machines, quilting frames, quilting machines, and so on.

I am also a practical type of person so my hobbies have useful value. No offense to my hubby and his RPGs of course ;) I understand that particular hobby, and it is cheap, but it doesn't result in anything wearable or edible :) When we were poor students and barely had disposable income (meaning saving up for luxuries couldn't happen this side of graduation) we played role playing games with dh's mates, improved our cooking skills (well we had to eat anyway, so trying new recipes didn't hurt the budget) and turned the weekly shop into a day out. We'd take our backpacks and catch the train into town each Saturday to shop at the market. We'd each spend $5 on lunch and feel very luxurious!

Rosie

Ahhh....D&D. That would be a hobby of ours if only we could find some folks to join us. But in our neck of the woods, families who homeschool (or at least support rather than criticize it) AND approve of D&D are nonexistent.

I have found that with the coupons most craft stores offer, I can keep plenty of supplies for small knitting projects for next to nothing. Spinning is, I confess, a bit more expensive, but since the yarn I make is almost exclusively used for gift items, I don't feel that it is excessive.

I certainly do not have a problem with anyone who spends a lot of money on their hobbies. After all, spending (provided you're not going into debt to do so) is good for the economy. I worked for a local scrapbook store for a while. All of those "crazy" people who spent oodles of money on supplies helped pay my salary, which meant I was able to spend more on hs supplies, some of which we are still using. (Now we see where my disposable income really goes!;))

I don't think it's so much an issue of a cultural divide as it is a financial divide. I'm sure there are some who take disposable income for granted, but there are plenty who don't. I feel very blessed that I can pursue some of my personal interests!

My "hobby" right now is ensuring my dd has a rich and full childhood. So, we shop at aldi, use a food co-op, cut out cable tv, keep the thermostat low or high (depending on the season), buy clothes on sale or at thrift stores/garage sales to ensure there is money for riding lessons, music class, art supplies for her crafty hobbies, theatre tickets, etc. We don't do without, but we're certainly not well-off. I've been in a place where we were in survival mode and there was no money for anything extra, and it's a drag, but we survived. I certainly don't take my income for granted and I'm extremely grateful and thankful for my job.

Katia,

This thread had me thinking because I noticed that a number of the activities that we would list as hobbies today (sewing, knitting, cooking, fishing, bread baking) were once necessities. My mom, for instance, grew up in a farm house that had braided wool rugs in some of the rooms. Homemade braided wool rugs. Today they would be made as a hobby. In my Mom's case, it was either recycle worn clothes into a rug or have cold feet on a winter's morning.

I made jam today from strawberries that I picked yesterday. Do I consider cooking a hobby? Not really. I like to support my local farmers and know where my food comes from. Picking berries is pleasurable for me (I've got farmer genes, you know?) so perhaps this effort is hobby-like as opposed to a necessity of life. But, again, food preservation was once a mandatory task. For some it still is. For others, it has moved into the hobby category.

Another thought that crossed my mind was how our consumer culture almost forces some people to believe that hobbies have to be expensive. Take something as simple as bike riding. One does not need special attire just to ride a bicycle, yet some people (whoops--edging on the judgmental here) seem to feel that the proper Lycra is a requirement. One of my favorite books from childhood is my McCall's Make It book, which gave loads of craft instructions, most made from scraps. Today parents seem to feel the need to buy special kits to make a widget. How much creativity is lost by providing all the parts and not letting a kid's imagination flow?

This post has strays from the original, but I wanted to share my thoughts with you, Katia.

Best,

Jane

ETA: Just realized that Sherry in OH was making the same point. Sorry not to have acknowledged that, Sherry.

Edited by Jane in NC
Posted before reading new posts.

Ahhh....D&D. That would be a hobby of ours if only we could find some folks to join us. But in our neck of the woods, families who homeschool (or at least support rather than criticize it) AND approve of D&D are nonexistent.

Note that because of the attitude you allude to, many who are not that upset with RPGs, will just say nothing rather than have to defend themself about something that is, in the end, not worth the fight.

Also note that one can be disturbed about D&D in particular and not see anything wrong with RPGs in general (other than the time it takes!)

Today, quilting has become a hobby for those with time and money. You can purchase many blankets for less than the amount of money invested in a single quilt. Some people do still use scraps of fabric and useable pieces of worn clothing. Those with disposable income buy new fabric to cut into small pieces. You can buy scissors, rotary cutters, cutting mats, rulers, plastic templates, books of patterns, sharps and betweens (needles), sewing machines, quilting frames, quilting machines, and so on.

Quilting is a great example of a hobby that can be done cheaply...or that can break the bank. When I first started quilting, we had no spare income. I used scraps of worn out clothes or fabric scraps my sewing friends gave me when they heard I had taken up quilting. I pieced my quilts on a second hand machine my parents had given me as a birthday present. I bought patterns off the clearance rack of our local quilt shop for less than $2 a piece. A quilt takes a good bit of time, so for the investment in some batting, muslin for the backing and a cheap pattern (and there are also free patterns on the net), I would be occupied for months. Now we do have a little disposable income, so I can buy fabric and patterns if I like. I haven't though in many years because I now lack time :lol:. I have a stockpile of all the things that were given to me by friends and relatives when they heard I was interested in quilting and they sit collecting dust until the day I have time to quilt again.

I can still find time to cross-stitch. It takes up less space and doesn't require much "set-up" time. Cross-stitch is a really cheap hobby as well. Or at least it can be. You can buy linen, hand-dyed floss and little beads and buttons if you want to fancy it up. (I generally don't.)

I started scrapbooking when my DH was supporting our growing family making $10/hr. Friends would give me stuff they were getting rid of, I got stuff for Christmas and birthdays, I used what little extra money we had to buy stuff here and there. Since we were always home on weekends, didn't take vacations, etc., it was a far more low-cost form of entertainment and socialization than just about anything I could think of. We were VERY frugal and lived in a part of the state where property values were fairly low.

After a while, I was working for some online stores designing layouts for their marketing and helping out with their message boards and got about $100 in supplies every month.

Now that the kids are older and we have more money, I have less time. We're always running them around and doing family stuff together, and they stay up later.

I think many hobbies can be done cheaply if one wants to. Especially if you know people who overshop and like to share. :)

Note that because of the attitude you allude to, many who are not that upset with RPGs, will just say nothing rather than have to defend themself about something that is, in the end, not worth the fight.

Also note that one can be disturbed about D&D in particular and not see anything wrong with RPGs in general (other than the time it takes!)

:iagree: I played D&D for years in high school/college and would love to play again but it never even occurs to me to bring it up. I'm already pretty out of the mainstream when it comes to homeschooling, I don't want to push it over the edge. ;)

Somehow it came up that I did scrapbooking and stamping. A lady said, "Wow, you're expensive!". It bothered me until I thought of some things. Her house is beautifully decorated. Mine is not. She has really cute, new clothes and shoes. I don't. I don't get manicures or pedicures. I don't go on fancy vacations. I just spend my money differently.

I think there are cultural divides, but just because I have some (not a lot!) disposable income doesn't mean that I don't experience the same feelings. My best friend is very well off. She calls me last spring and says, "You have GOT to go to Disney World right now! It is so cheap!". Well, unless it's free, it's not gonna happen. Another friend is having her kitchen renovated, paid for her by a bonus by her DH got. Yeah, that's not going to happen, either.

Interesting. What sort of RPG's are ok, according to people who are disturbed by D&D?

Rosie

Luckily, writing is cheap. :D

Yep. :)

So is getting books from the library.

My most expensive hobby is piano lessons but I pay for that out of monetary Christmas gifts.

Time is the greatest limiting factor for me. I like to be good at what I do and I have long way to get to the 10,000 hours required to master either writing or playing. ;)

We don't play d&d but we do play warcraft as a family. I'll join you in geekland. :lol:

We haven't had disposible income for years and because of it I no longer really have any hobbies. I used to sew ALOT and had a fabric stash to show for it (I also worked at a fabric store so that helped lol). About 6 years ago we had a lot of big life changes happen and well there just wasn't anything left over. So over the last six years I have used what I have on hand, repurposed items, etc but after a while I just quit. I wanted to be able to spend money on new fabrics to make the girls dresses or whatever but the money just isn't there.

I often look at friends who are all in much higher income brackets and envy that they can indulge themselves in their passions. I know its pointless but I do it anyway lol. I think of all the other things I could buy/do if I had that kind of money to play with and honestly sewing isn't on the list. Afer this many years of scrimping I automatically think of buying clothes for the kids, food, curriculum etc with any spare penny we have.

I do still enjoy activities though. Things like gardening don't take much money, if any, so I focus my time and talents there. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and I don't get into the "I wish..." mode as often.