Menu

Food stamps? opinions

I would love to work at home, but I have no skills. And dh doesn't want me to babysit and I agree. :)

Look, you have too many young children to be able to handle paying work or babysitting someone else's kids. I know what I'm talking about -- see the ages of my kids below. I, too, was (and am) in the boat in which I handled *everything* except working a paying job. It is very tiring and stressful.

If you qualify for food stamps, please get them. You need them, for sure, under that circumstance.

I've looked at food stamp guidelines for the two states we have lived in recently and the income limits are so low that I cannot see how anyone who does qualify can make do without food stamps and plenty of other help besides.

So, my dear, please partake and don't feel one bit guilty or sad or anything else negative for not taking paying work or for getting food stamps. Your husband is working full-time, despite his health problems. You all sound like you are doing the best you can, or anyone can, under the circumstances and my hat is off to you!

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The social worker will most likely tell you that having children under the age of 5 (which it looks like you have twins -- toddler age?) automatically prevents you from looking for work. You have to submit proof of income. And if hubby is working, they will leave you alone. Homeschooling should not be an issue. Most grocery stores accept the food stamp card and hopefully it can be a blessing to your family. :grouphug:

I'm SURE I answered this.

Anyway, HERE, you would not be asked to work until your twins turned 3. At that point, you'd be required to work or show why you can't. Also, if you attend college, you individually won't get FS (unless a doc will verify there is a reason you can't work right now), but the kids still could. You also wouldn't have to worry about being asked about homeschooling. It was a non-issue here.

However, I think I agree with the gist of this thread. You need to be working towards getting out of this situation if you want the people's help. The system is set up for people in a temporary situation, not a lifestyle choice. So you really need to be doing something that will change the circumstances (or at least has the potential to). Of course, many things may render you not qualified for aid, but then you have the pride of knowing you're still doing it on your own.

Anyway, so I don't know the requirements there, but here homeschooling is a non-issue and your only issue will be when the twins turn 3 unless a doc will confirm that you are disabled or that one of the children NEEDS to be homeschooled.

ETA: I was coming over here to fix this but Pippen already copied and Ottakee already mentioned what I was going to. Though welfare is generally for people who are in a bind and working to get out of it, it is also for people with some unchosen situation like disability. That probably won't be temporary for most people.

Edited by 2J5M9K

However, I think I agree with the gist of this thread. You need to be working towards getting out of this situation if you want the people's help. The system is set up for people in a temporary situation, not a lifestyle choice. So you really need to be doing something that will change the circumstances (or at least has the potential to). Of course, many things may render you not qualified for aid, but then you have the pride of knowing you're still doing it on your own.

:iagree:

My son (disabled) has food stamps and it was very easy to get--less than 1 hour I think--and that was about it. If you qualify, apply and then work on other financial things.

Have you looked at the http://www.grocerygame.com or http://www.savingangel.com or other coupon/shopping type thing. They can help reduce your food costs as well as health and beauty stuff by a great deal--often free items or things 75% or more off. You could combine this type of shopping with the food stamps to really stretch the amount you qualify for.

Then I would also look at some good finance classes such as Dave Ramsey, etc. that might be offered in your area. Even learning 1 or 2 new things might ease your budget just a bit.

You might already do this but network with others for hand me down clothes, check craig's list/freecycle for things you need, donate/pass on things you don't, etc.

You have the ability to use a computer, that's really all it takes.

There are many people who agree with homeschool views but "have to" work...

You could be doing some work instead of posting here, or while posting here...

Do you actually have children? No way you can identify with the OP's situation, except in theory, when you post something like this. It smacks of reading about life, rather than having lived it. It reminds me of all the childless people who freely dispense child-rearing advice, and then learn "on the job" that their advice doesn't work.

Edited by RoughCollie

I I think what the OP needs to do is not have any more children, have her husband see about getting a second job, or get a job herself on weekends or evenings. There are jobs out there for relatively unskilled people. Retail sales like cashiers, waitressing, motel breakfast people who put out the cereals and make the coffee, and other such jobs. DO they pay much- no and that is why I say get a job when your husband isn't working. That way you have no childcare costs.

As far as no more children. I am done (not that it is anyone's business). As far as a job outside of the home as I have already stated. It is just not possible unless I could afford childcare which I can't. MY DH IS NOT CAPABLE OF DOING ANYMORE THAN HE ALREADY DOES! I don't think he would even be able to handle the kids in the evening due to his health issues.

I will check into some work at home sites and see what my local CC offers online for the future. As far as FS I have to prove children attend school and as long as youngest are under 6, I do not have to work. I think that's the way my state MD works.

Apply for the food stamps, they were created for people in your situation :grouphug:

As for all the chores you need to do, maybe start teaching the 9 and 7 year old to help with the laundry. At first, it might take longer than it does for you to do it by yourself, but after a bit of practice, they should become proficient at laundry, and it would take a bit of stress off of your shoulders

I agree with this post.....7 & 9 year olds can do a lot if you are willing to take a little extra time to show them how....laundry, dishes, bed making, dusting, vacuuming. We waited until they were a tad older before we added in bathroom cleaning because of the chemicals...but now we use non-chemicals for most of hte cleaning so I wouldn't hestitate now to have them clean the toilets, sink, tub, shower door, sweep the floor and wipe down the mirror.

And they should be able to entertain and keep the 2 year old twins safe while you do some schoolwork for that online course.

As for the food stamps....absolutely you should apply for them. If you're entitled and you have the need, that is the purpose of the program. There is no shame in receiving help when it's needed!

Also, if your income is below a certain level (varies I believe by state, but the Food Stamp folks should know) you may be eligible for other benefits.....maybe even housing allowance if you're renting.....health coverage...... sometimes college tuition....sometimes even child care while you attend school.

Also, if your husband's health is such that it might be considered a disability.....check with your doctor....then he may be entitled to disability income, even while working part time. So he may be able to reduce his work hours to save his health from getting worse, and the disability income might make up the difference.

:grouphug:

As far as no more children. I am done (not that it is anyone's business). As far as a job outside of the home as I have already stated. It is just not possible unless I could afford childcare which I can't. MY DH IS NOT CAPABLE OF DOING ANYMORE THAN HE ALREADY DOES! I don't think he would even be able to handle the kids in the evening due to his health issues.

I will check into some work at home sites and see what my local CC offers online for the future. As far as FS I have to prove children attend school and as long as youngest are under 6, I do not have to work. I think that's the way my state MD works.

3and3,

There are specific programs for which your family might qualify, not just food stamps. For instance, the program I worked with was called Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), and families could qualify for food stamps, financial assistance, day care, employment/education training, and medicaid all at once. There were also disability programs for which your husband might qualify.

Have you contacted the office itself to ask about the eligibility requirements for homeschoolers? I'm sure they'll answer your questions about how you could prove attendance.

I'm really baffled by the "not having to work if your children are under a certain age" belief expressed in this thread...it just goes against everything I remember as a caseworker. Then again, things might have changed since then. I will say that caseloads are so high that perhaps some caseworkers overlook certain things.

3and3,

There are specific programs for which your family might qualify, not just food stamps. For instance, the program I worked with was called Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), and families could qualify for food stamps, financial assistance, day care, employment/education training, and medicaid all at once. There were also disability programs for which your husband might qualify.

Have you contacted the office itself to ask about the eligibility requirements for homeschoolers? I'm sure they'll answer your questions about how you could prove attendance.

I'm really baffled by the "not having to work if your children are under a certain age" belief expressed in this thread...it just goes against everything I remember as a caseworker. Then again, things might have changed since then. I will say that caseloads are so high that perhaps some caseworkers overlook certain things.

I think a lot of things have changed. With children under a certain age and a lot of mamas that are "displaced" or without skills, the cost of assistance paying for childcare vs what the mama could actually make financially doesn't weigh out. Then you have the separation and family structure that can be damaged. So when mama can't make as much as the childcare costs and her working could cause her to lose assistance, thus either paying childcare herself or right back at home anyhow, it makes sense for her to just stay home and care for the child herself. During that time, she could be taking classes and planning on how to handle the future.

Have you looked at the www.grocerygame.com or www.savingangel.com or other coupon/shopping type thing. They can help reduce your food costs as well as health and beauty stuff by a great deal--often free items or things 75% or more off. You could combine this type of shopping with the food stamps to really stretch the amount you qualify for.

You might already do this but network with others for hand me down clothes, check craig's list/freecycle for things you need, donate/pass on things you don't, etc.

I have only paid for a few items of clothing for each of the children since they were born. Hand me downs are like Christmas around here. We save money on food by clipping coupons, shopping sales, and using Sam's Club. And I will start using angelfood ministries this month. Also, I am cutting electric by using clothes line more and turning heat back. As well as bunking kids together so we could not heat some rooms in winter. Not sure how much more I can save. We have 2 vehicles, but we only use 1 most of the time because DH truck burns alot more gas.

3and3,

Each state's eligibility is pretty available on the internet. I received food stamps 17 years ago while I was in college and was not required to work because I had a child under 6. Now, TANF has totally different rules and has work requirements for everyone. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

It is just not possible unless I could afford childcare which I can't. MY DH IS NOT CAPABLE OF DOING ANYMORE THAN HE ALREADY DOES! I don't think he would even be able to handle the kids in the evening due to his health issues.

We hit a bad financial patch when my kids were very young. I couldn't go back to work because childcare would have cost more money than my after-tax income would have been. Not only that, we were not eager to let someone else raise our children.

I tried working at home, self-employed, and was unable to sustain it for very long. I couldn't work until the kids were in bed, asleep, and by then I was very tired. My work was of an intellectual nature, and it sure was hard when I was so tired, and there were interruptions during the night when the kids needed me.

One night, late, when DH wasn't home from work yet, a green, naked toddler leaped into my office, laughing his head off. He'd gotten up, sneaked downstairs, and painted his body green. I couldn't get over how I hadn't heard him from my office which was a bedroom down the hall from his. Add in sick kids, kids with night terrors or who had nightmares, and it was just an impossible situation.

Burning the candle at both ends did not work for me when the kids were young. I managed to pull it off, but could not sustain it long-term.

Edited by RoughCollie

Each state's eligibility is pretty available on the internet. I received food stamps 17 years ago while I was in college and was not required to work because I had a child under 6. Now, TANF has totally different rules and has work requirements for everyone. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Well, I worked both programs in different states but I remember work (or looking for work) was a requirement for both. We had to show 80% compliance in this area in order to show we were helping our clients achieve "self sufficiency" (that's what they called it). We were encouraged to allow the other 20% leeway for life instances such as a nursing infant in the home, illness or injury, anything unexpected, etc. Our cases (in both TANF and FS) were audited so we had to show compliance or justify good cause for making up the 20%. MANY families had children under the age of six...that alone wouldn't prevent someone from being able to use the daycare subsidies that are available to help one work or look for work.

I think a lot of things have changed. With children under a certain age and a lot of mamas that are "displaced" or without skills, the cost of assistance paying for childcare vs what the mama could actually make financially doesn't weigh out. Then you have the separation and family structure that can be damaged. So when mama can't make as much as the childcare costs and her working could cause her to lose assistance, thus either paying childcare herself or right back at home anyhow, it makes sense for her to just stay home and care for the child herself. During that time, she could be taking classes and planning on how to handle the future.

What you are saying is true but you must also realize it's also a political game...people are more willing to pay taxes to subsidize daycare for someone wanting to work (or look for work) than not at all. This was a huge part of the "welfare to work" legilation from years past.

A big part of our jobs as social workers was to help unemployed moms realize transferrable skills they could take with them into the workforce. We stay-at-home moms are way more capable than we think! While it makes sense to stay at home and take care of the child herself, the funding agency's mindset is that daycare can help make her available to take the classes and work with others to help plan her future of self-sufficiency so she won't need to rely on those programs.

Example of how this works:

take the child care subsidy, go to work for minimal pay, now making too much combined with hubby's pay, lose child care subsidy, don't make enough to pay for child care, quit job to take care of children....back to square one. Oh, an now you've lost a portion of your tax return due to being a "two income" family. Yes, it makes sense that states are now willing to permit a mother to stay home for a few years, during which time the husband or the wife could take a few courses or eventually earn enough pay raises to wean off of the food stamps.

We may have marketable skills, and I fully agree with that, but unfortunately the world outside doesn't view it that way. I have years of waitressing experience, yet could not get a waitressing job (they didn't want a mom with responsibilities and limited hours...they wanted a teenager or college kid that they could call in and out at the drop of a hat). I have all the skills necessary to work as a receptionist, but can't get hired because I have been out of the workforce for "too long" (the supervisors wanted me and were pulling for me; human resources only saw statistics).

Oh, and the OP's fertility and beliefs on birth control, potentially religious, are no one else's business.

Edited by mommaduck

I don't buy it, either. I run a forum as well and unless you are serving a very specific demographic that you've somehow managed to convince to use YOUR forum as opposed to the other 20 that those people can google and show much more use, AND your ads are attractive enough and pertinent enough to interest those visitors to click on them (how many ads do ANY of us click on a daily basis??), you are not going to make $600/month. Please. My intelligence is insulted.

Yes, it was a very specific demographic, and for this aspect of it, there weren't any other forums (at the time; after mine shut down, a regular started another one).

Sure, the $600 is a rare case, but wouldn't earning a little money be better than earning no money?

Do you actually have children? No way you can identify with the OP's situation, except in theory, when you post something like this. It smacks of reading about life, rather than having lived it. It reminds me of all the childless people who freely dispense child-rearing advice, and then learn "on the job" that their advice doesn't work.

Yes, I have 4. I have done the things I suggested while "on the job."

What you are saying is true but you must also realize it's also a political game...people are more willing to pay taxes to subsidize daycare for someone wanting to work (or look for work) than not at all. This was a huge part of the "welfare to work" legilation from years past.

A big part of our jobs as social workers was to help unemployed moms realize transferrable skills they could take with them into the workforce. We stay-at-home moms are way more capable than we think! While it makes sense to stay at home and take care of the child herself, the funding agency's mindset is that daycare can help make her available to take the classes and work with others to help plan her future of self-sufficiency so she won't need to rely on those programs.

What was your agency's rate of helping families achieve self-sufficiency (ie. get above poverty level) and stay there?

I am curious how it all works out in the end. I know how much I need to get us above the poverty level and then our financial situation will be slightly worse (net) than it is now except we'll be able to say that we aren't on any gov't programs. (And that is worth a lot, don't get me wrong!)

I understand how difficult it is for you at this point. And I think you should do what is best for your family. So sign up for the food assistance because it is there for families to use. It is temporary.

Perhaps you could find a small cleaning job. In our area there are alot of those. You work maybe 2 hours a night. It's not alot but is a very small time away from home.

Maybe you could tutor another homeschool child. Or teach a small class in your homeschool group. You could make a small amount of money.

Most community colleges have online courses. And if you qualify for food assistance you'll qualify for a pell grant.

I understand that day care isn't an option. And most states highly regulate it so it is difficult to profit.

Check out programs like Angel food ministries. And you can use your food benefits for it. Plant a garden. We saved alot of money doing so last year. And visit the farmers market.

Don't allow others to make you feel badly for using the resources available. Use them wisely.

And the rules do state for cash assistance you comply with looking for work/ training requirement. Exceptions to that rule includes those caring for a disabled family member, pregnant women in the last trimester and the primary caretaker of a child under 6 years old.

For food assistance there may not be such a requirement.

I think it does differ for food stamps only there is no limit. I am kinda in ur boat minus the husband I am working part-time (all i could find), going back to school and living with my parents. I have signed up for food stamps because it helps with our expenses. MY parents utility bills have increaded and the fs help with the grocery bill.

hth

OP you mentioned earlier than you can sew. The sewing that I do provides some extra cash for our family. When the older kids were quite young, dh switched careers and we went through a 5 year period of very low income (learned after the fact that we qualified for all kinds of assistance) The sewing jobs I took on basically paid for everything beyond rent, utilities, and gas.

I do mainly window treatments (more than curtains LOL, draperies, valances, cornice boards, shades, etc) but I do some basic alterations, Halloween costumes, Renaissance Faire costumes for the 8th graders at dd's current school, etc. I also taught myself how to slipcover and re-upholster furniture using books. It's now a breeze finding "how to" information online.

In the beginning, I had some super-inexpensive basic business cards made at Staples (it was $5 for the box of 1000, 15 years ago). I handed MANY out to all my friends from mothers' groups and our playgroup, I gave a pile to my mom who handed them out, I hung signs on the free bulletin boards at grocery stores and the library, and dh told everyone he talked to. As I completed a job, I gave business cards to the customers. My jobs are all word-of-mouth now :)

I think advertising this would be easier now than when I started out. I'd use facebook, for example. Business cards can be found very inexpensively (think VistaPrint specials---google to find others). You can also print your own business cards, though the cardstock can be pricey.

I set my fees in comparison to what local shops charge, at about 50-75%. I'm able to find pricing information online for specific types of window treatments, for upholsering a particular style of furniture, for a certain alteration, and so on.

Good luck :) And take the food stamps :)

I'm always amazed that food stamps are what they are, and can't help thinking how much easier life would have been as a single mom if Canada had food stamps. None of the provinces I know of have such a thing.

If you need it, you need it. But, I do agree that looking for other ways to meet financial needs also has to happen. I don't know about food stamps, not a clue, but I do know that here the assistance is limited, and the push is to get ppl off of the system.

I wish you all the luck possible. I know what its like to be broke and struggling all too well.

There are jobs out there for relatively unskilled people.

Have you tried to get one? I spent most of last year (before DD was born) looking for a job like this. And DH was looking for a second job at the same time. We found zilch. A good family friend and a few relatives in the same boat. So I'd recommend AGAINST making statements like this. Sure there are jobs like that. But there are more applicants than jobs.

Oh and the jobs for "relatively unskilled people" are generally going to want availability 24x7. They are probably not going to work around your schedule. Many jobs will have a changing schedule, and might not post the schedule until Friday afternoon, when the week starts on Sunday. They will not pay enough to pay your childcare.

To the OP - we are in a similar boat (DH has a back injury, and is under-employed; jobs are scarce here). Right now I'm waiting for DD to be a bit less dependent so I can either try to work from home or get a job, and DH has been able to get an extra shift on Mondays. I'm sure you are working on a long-term plan, and not worrying about food does help.

It takes a long time to get approved here, about 2 months for us. No one cared about my kids education, other than sending a letter about school lunches and headstart being available. Watch your assets - they don't care if you can't sell something - if you own it and its worth to much, you won't qualify.

You might look at education programs for yourself or your DH. Here there is one for getting a nursing degree (CNA I think).

As to money online, if you like to write, go for it and start a blog (check out http://www.problogger.net/). About.com pays decently for Guides if you have an area of expertise (http://beaguide.about.com/). The work from home companies I've looked at require a landline AND a 100% quiet environment (taking phone calls for product sales). Its hard to compete with India as far as wages go.

Best of luck. Remember comedian Mark Lowry's favorite saying "this to shall pass".

I'm always amazed that food stamps are what they are, and can't help thinking how much easier life would have been as a single mom if Canada had food stamps. None of the provinces I know of have such a thing.

If you need it, you need it. But, I do agree that looking for other ways to meet financial needs also has to happen. I don't know about food stamps, not a clue, but I do know that here the assistance is limited, and the push is to get ppl off of the system.

I wish you all the luck possible. I know what its like to be broke and struggling all too well.

Impish, I used a calculator once recently that calculated the Child Benefit that my family would receive in Canada and it is way, way, way more than the food stamps we qualify for. WAY more!

ETA: Not only do you get Child Benefit in Canada, you also have gov't paid health care. We have it here as well for the poor, but you have seen for yourself the stigma it has.

Edited by Renee in FL

Do you know how many carts filled with Pepsi and steaks I get behind in grocery store lines which get paid for with food stamps?!? If your children will eat more nutritiously, then you should get food stamps.

Do the math on how much you are saving the govt by homeschooling...have no guilt in getting a little aid. I just laugh at people who have no issue having the govt pay to educate their children...not to mention all that free child care:tongue_smilie:, but think it's abhorrent to get aid for food!! What hypocrites.

Oh, and the OP's fertility and beliefs on birth control, potentially religious, are no one else's business.

Actually many people do consider it their business when they are paying taxes to support folks who "can't" work because they continue to have children they can't support. Not pointing a finger at the OP, but it is how some people feel.

Edited by Mejane

Do you know how many carts filled with Pepsi and steaks I get behind in grocery store lines which get paid for with food stamps?!? If your children will eat more nutritiously, then you should get food stamps.

Do the math on how much you are saving the govt by homeschooling...have no guilt in getting a little aid. I just laugh at people who have no issue having the govt pay to educate their children...not to mention all that free child care:tongue_smilie:, but think it's abhorrent to get aid for food!! What hypocrites.

How do you know they are paying with Food Stamps?

Actually many people do consider it their business when they are paying taxes to support folks who "can't" work because they continue to have children they can't support. Not pointing a finger at the OP, but it is how some people feel.

I'm aware that it is how people "feel", but the reality is, it's not their business. Her husband works and pays taxes. Sure he may get a portion back at the end of the year (unless he's contracted, LLC, or self employed). But he's still pulling his end and paid taxes before he had children as well.

Some people have a moral and religious objection to birth control and sterilization. The OP's situation may be temporary and therefore she may not wish to do anything permanent...and "acceptable" birth control is not always effective.

Now would I agree with her trying for another baby at this time? I may or may not. That would be my opinion, but since it's a very personal issue and not my business, I won't comment on it.

Childcare work can be tough, but when your family needs the money, you do what you have to do. I ran an in-home daycare for three years, in addition to homeschooling and taking care of my own four children.

I am finishing up my second year of daycare. My family is moving (the one I sit for, not mine mine), and I was really looking forward to not having to do it any more, but my books are still stuck in the editing phase and won't be published in the foreseeable future, and so we need the money. Tomorrow I will be interviewing another family to see if we would be a good fit for 1/2 day daycare/ tutoring for at least the summer.

I do not like the work. I really do not think it suits my personality, and I find it very emotionally draining. (Although I do love the family we sit for, and the kids are sweet.) But we need the money, so I do it while trying to find other work that suits me better and saving money as I can. Right now I homeschool my 4 kids, I hope to teach a coop science class next year, I babysit 2 kids, I sell photography, and I write/ edit when I can (although this part is really out of my hands right now... I'd do more of this if I could). I'm also going to start sewing patches on Cub Scout uniforms for people. I was going to charge $0.50 a patch, but some moms told me they would be willing to pay $1/ patch.

I sympathize with the OP. It is a very difficult situation to be in, and I hope you can find the best way to meet your needs.

Edited by Tutor
clarity

Just want to set some things straight. As you can see in my sign we lost a ds 1 yr before having twins and longed for more children after that. So, we got pregnant right away. We NEVER imagined God would give us twins(it does not run in family)Anyway, my dh at the time was working 8-10 hrs OT each week. And he was able to bring home some work for me to do at home(I earned aprox $6000 last yr doing this) Then we went through very difficult pregnancy,c-section, then twins in NICU for almost 2weeks(draining saving that's w/ins) Oh and did I mention my oldest getting in serious trouble which cost us $1000s in legal fees. Fast forward to now, my dh is blessed to have a job, and has only gotten .25 pay raise in last 2 yrs. And there is no work to bring home!

So there has been alot of things that have happened that we NEVER could have planned ahead for. We are very thankful we have not lost our home and that dh husband has a job. Many people in our area have been laid off and the pay around here sucks!

Sometimes they have to tell the cashier, because the cashier has to press something. Also, you can see the card.

A lot of other things also go on those cards. In both States I've lived in as an adult, child support is put on those cards also.

With that said, I have also known people who are on Food Stamps and other aid and eat much better than I feel we can afford to eat. I don't have a problem with people using services like FS for a hand up, it's when it becomes a life style that I have a problem with it.

OP, I think you should get the FS if it will help your family, but it does sound like you need to come up with some sort of long term plan so this doesn't become your lifestyle. Not saying that's what you want, just sounds like there is nothing that is going to change unless you choose to make a change. Don't forget that you can use FS's for seeds for gardening also!

Melissa

Only thing I know how to do is sew a little.

There is nothing "little" about knowing how to sew!!! If you can manage basic alterations, find out if there are any dance studios in your town, and ask if you can display your phone number/ business card there. Altering costumes is big business (at least in my neck of the woods.) DO IT NOW! Recital time is upon us, and this would be an excellent time to get those jobs! You could also do simple alterations (hems, repairs, etc...) year-round.

Also as a few others have mentioned, planting a garden is a HUGE money-saver. We have saved hundreds of dollars with a handful of seed packets. Lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, and tomatoes get us through the summer, and carrots, parsnips, squash, and turnips (and frozen tomatoes) get us through the winter. In fact, we used the last of last summer's carrots last week! AND you have the added benefit of knowing exactly where the food you eat is coming from. AND gardening is a great family activity. AND researching the different types of plants available is educational! (Can you tell that I'm a big fan of gardening?)

Kudos to you for exploring your options before accepting government handouts, and government meddling in your family's lifestyle!

Life happens and you do what you have to do. You should not have to justify your life circumstances which led to this point.

And I think people fail to understand the vast majority of food benefit clients do work. And work hard. And if someone wants to buy soda, white bread, bologna and chips for their packed lunch good for them. Food stamps aren't the entire food budget of most homes. It helps them stretch limited resources.

Also those plastic cards not only have food benefits but on them. They also have child support, wic and ssi supplement checks.

As for the question of will they give you a hard time probably not. Alot of the families I know have recently had to go there. For the first time in their lives. It was difficult to do this. But the only one that had an issue was when a caseworker demanded a student id for a teenager. That was easy to produce.

I guess I have faith in people. Sure there are some users and abusers of the system. But they are everywhere. Most people pay into the system and then one day might have to use that system for a short time. And so I don't care about their birth control measures or what they purchase. Or even what they are wearing while making the purchase. I believe they should be treated with dignity. You never know when things could turn and you be on that end.

Impish, I used a calculator once recently that calculated the Child Benefit that my family would receive in Canada and it is way, way, way more than the food stamps we qualify for. WAY more!

ETA: Not only do you get Child Benefit in Canada, you also have gov't paid health care. We have it here as well for the poor, but you have seen for yourself the stigma it has.

Problem with that is two-fold. Any 'supplement' on the CTB a single mom gets, is taken off her welfare (if she's on it) cheque on the first of the month. CTB doesn't come in til the 20th. Imagine, if you will, what its like to have $80 left after paying your rent...until the 20th of the month. And remember that you still have utility bills to pay out of it as well. As a single Mom, 2 kids, I was receiving the max. I ended up having my phone cut off, because I couldn't keep up with the bill...and that's not internet, nada...just basic phone service. The idea that as long as you pay $20 a month, something, they'll be happy is wrong...I ended up with a $700 bill that they weren't happy with, and then demanded a $200 deposit and $50 reconnection fee.

Having a few hundred dollars for groceries would have been a huge diff in my life.

For a single mom, having food stamps, money that couldn't be taken away from for other things, that guaranteed $x for groceries, would have been a God send.

Just want to set some things straight. As you can see in my sign we lost a ds 1 yr before having twins and longed for more children after that. So, we got pregnant right away. We NEVER imagined God would give us twins(it does not run in family)Anyway, my dh at the time was working 8-10 hrs OT each week. And he was able to bring home some work for me to do at home(I earned aprox $6000 last yr doing this) Then we went through very difficult pregnancy,c-section, then twins in NICU for almost 2weeks(draining saving that's w/ins) Oh and did I mention my oldest getting in serious trouble which cost us $1000s in legal fees. Fast forward to now, my dh is blessed to have a job, and has only gotten .25 pay raise in last 2 yrs. And there is no work to bring home!

So there has been alot of things that have happened that we NEVER could have planned ahead for. We are very thankful we have not lost our home and that dh husband has a job. Many people in our area have been laid off and the pay around here sucks!

You don't need to explain yourself. I was simply pointing out to the other poster that to many people, where their tax money goes IS their business. I know you are trying to do the best for your family, and I wish you well.

I also have food stamps, dh and I both work and sometimes it just isn't enough to make ends meet. I also go to school, child care takes about half of my paycheck. I continue to work because my job offers affordable health insurance for dh and I. We are going to switch insurance once dh is eligible at his new job since it is better insurance with more things covered like dental and vision, but I will still work to cover childcare costs.

If the OP put her 9, 7 and 5 year olds in public school next school year, and put her twins in Head Start, and then got a job, wouldn't that cost the government more money than giving her food stamps? How come no one tells families that use public schools that they are draining all the tax dollars, this should only be a temporary thing, and don't have more kids?

I'm not mad, honestly. I just like to question everything.

Ugh. I despise posts like these. Not the op's question, which I completely understand, but the inevitable snark from at least one person that follows. When you're using food stamps, you just can't win. If you buy so much as a candy bar, people will criticize you. If you buy organic anything, or high quality fruits and veg, people whine that if they can't afford to buy good food for their families when they work so hard (never mind that people on food stamps usually work just as hard), people on food stamps shouldn't be allowed to either. You'd think that people would have better things to do than criticize the extremely poor, but apparently not.

Do the best you can for your children, any way you can. If anyone criticizes you for it, screw 'em.

Sometimes they have to tell the cashier, because the cashier has to press something. Also, you can see the card.

No...that's just being mean. This applies to your previous replies as well.

One of the perks to using the EBT card is that no one can pass judgement on their method of payment, or the reason they are on FS in the first place. Maybe the card is being used but not everything can be paid for with FS. Did you know that a large percentage of enlisted military personnel are on FS? These active duty folk work HARD for their families defending all of US everyday and still need subsidies because their pay is so low. What about the families who foster children and consequently need a little more money to feed the extra mouths to feed? You don't know the circumstances for which these families have to face the shame of applying for FS in the first place.

You're entitled to your own opinion but you really are coming across as judgemental and mean spirited.

Ugh. I despise posts like these. Not the op's question, which I completely understand, but the inevitable snark from at least one person that follows. When you're using food stamps, you just can't win. If you buy so much as a candy bar, people will criticize you. If you buy organic anything, or high quality fruits and veg, people whine that if they can't afford to buy good food for their families when they work so hard (never mind that people on food stamps usually work just as hard), people on food stamps shouldn't be allowed to either. You'd think that people would have better things to do than criticize the extremely poor, but apparently not.

Do the best you can for your children, any way you can. If anyone criticizes you for it, screw 'em.

There but for the grace of God go I.

People can do everything right and still bad things happen. And even if they don't do everything right and their poor judgment leads to poverty, should they and their children starve? That's not the kind of country I want to live in.

OP, you can have my share of tax dollars for your food stamps ;) Please, go apply. I wish you well :001_smile:

In addition to food stamps and other govt programs, look into what area churches and private agencies can do for you. There are a number of agencies in my area that help with assorted needs from food to $ for gas to help paying the rent. Obviously, these aren't long term solutions, but you do what you can to get through tough situations.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

There are jobs out there for relatively unskilled people.

Have you tried getting a job lately?

There is a HOME GOODS that opened up in town. Over 500 people applied. My husband had a call out for workers-? People out the doors waiting for applications.

IF you don't need a job? Be grateful. If you have one? Be very, very grateful.

The families I know that have been looking for jobs? 200 resume's a week and it's been months. One GF has been looking for 2 years. Her boyfriend has been also looking for 2 years.

To say that it's hard out there is an understatement of vast proportion.

OP-go sign up for the food stamps asap and if anyone tries to belittle you, they have no compassion or empathy. It's their problem, not yours. You are doing what you can to survive.

Have you tried getting a job lately?

There is a HOME GOODS that opened up in town. Over 500 people applied. My husband had a call out for workers-? People out the doors waiting for applications.

IF you don't need a job? Be grateful. If you have one? Be very, very grateful.

The families I know that have been looking for jobs? 200 resume's a week and it's been months. One GF has been looking for 2 years. Her boyfriend has been also looking for 2 years.

To say that it's hard out there is an understatement of vast proportion.

OP-go sign up for the food stamps asap and if anyone tries to belittle you, they have no compassion or empathy. It's their problem, not yours. You are doing what you can to survive.

My neighbor across the street has been looking for a low skilled job for months. The problem is that she is only available until 3pm because she won't make enough at Walmart or McDonalds for child care (and there are no longer child care subsidies available for school-age kids.) She even tried to work at McD's, but they weren't willing to work with her hour restrictions.

It isn't all that easy anymore. Two to three years ago you could find a job fairly easily and at decent wages, even in fast food. Not anymore.