Menu

Food stamps? opinions

We homeschool our 3 of the 5 of our children other 2 are not school age. Putting them in PS is not an option in my opinion. My dh works and I stay home. Due to his health it is all he can do just to work 40hours week. I have my hands quite full with everything else. He can only handle work I do EVERYTHING else. So working outside of the home is out of the question.

His income still puts us below poverty level. We already recieve WIC and assistance with heating, but I have been seriuosly considering applying for food stamps. But I have mixed emotions about it. I really do not want a social worker question me on how we raise our children.(part of the reason I homeschool) Also, I can't spend tons of time up at Dept social services either. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A social worker will not/should not question you on how you are raising your children, etc. If you qualify for food stamps, then you qualify. You qualify to not work if you are the primary caregiver of any child under six or are furthering your education (sign up for a couple of classes at the cc or online, if need be...it benefits you anyhow to further your education).

I would love to work at home, but I have no skills. And dh doesn't want me to babysit and I agree. :)

I don't want to deal with other people's children that do not have same views as me on child rearing. Everyone else I know homeschools.

Not sure how much more I can do though. I have to do everything around here from laundy, dump runs, grocery shopping, home repairs, and homeschooling KWIM. My dh is not able to do the rest.

I think you should do what you need to do to provide for your children, but realize you may very well be opening up your family to the scrutiny of a social services agency. You may also have to jump through some hoops. You probably can't have it both ways.

I'm sure it varies from one location to another but overall our experience was okay. Hubby had an extended period of unemployment (8months) and somewhere in there we ran out of funds. I went and applied. The process in the office was rough, I was there probably over 2 hours because they run so far behind and it takes forever to get phone call answered. I was asked if the kids were getting reduced lunches etc at school, I said I they were homeschooled and that was the only questions pertaining to their education that ever came up. THey seemed far more concerned about me being job ready (i.e. available to go look for a job) then how my kids were educated. However, once they actually looked at my application and realized not only was I pregnant but I was also caring for a child under 5, they didn't mention the job search anymore either.

I would double check income guidelines before I went because the process is fairly long (I think it was close to 2 months before I actually received any benefits but they did back pay) and you wouldn't want to go through with it unless you were sure you qualified.

As far as actually applying, if you qualify, then do it. If you need help, take it. That's what it there for.

I know from some of my friends here (GA), SC and FL- you apply on line and interview over the phone- YOu then get a letter if you qualify- None of them have had to deal with social workers at all nor have either of the 3 ever had to go in anywhere- everything was done via web/phone/fax or email.

I would love to work at home, but I have no skills.

You have the ability to use a computer, that's really all it takes.

I don't want to deal with other people's children that do not have same views as me on child rearing. Everyone else I know homeschools.

There are many people who agree with homeschool views but "have to" work...
Not sure how much more I can do though. I have to do everything around here from laundy, dump runs, grocery shopping, home repairs, and homeschooling KWIM. My dh is not able to do the rest.
You could be doing some work instead of posting here, or while posting here...

What sources for work at hom jobs do you have? I am interested in any legitimate opportunities you know of.

Where I live you apply online and then go in for a face to face interview with all your documents. After that if you qualify you go back to pick up your card and then that is it. The face to face does include 2-3 hours of wait time.

What sources for work at hom jobs do you have? I am interested in any legitimate opportunities you know of.

Here's some forums that will tell you what's legit and what isn't...

http://www.whydowork.com/forums/

http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/

Currently I do these 3 things...

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/

http://becomeaguide.chacha.com/

You'd have to learn to set up a webpage (which you can learn quickly), but this is my main moneymaker - https://www.google.com/adsense/

We don't really know all of her circumstances. I think this is a tad unfair.

If I had to choose between my kids going hungry or being fed I guess I would get food stamps. Not that you (the OP) said your kids were going hungry, just saying that this is what it would take for me to go on public assistance. If I absolutely could not feed my children then yes I would apply, keeping in mind that this had to be a temporary thing and planning carefully to get us back onto our feet (which might take a year or two, but it's what we would be planning and striving for in the mean time). I am not comfortable relying on public assistance as a lifestyle.

:rolleyes:

The ability to type on a message board qualifies one for what field of work?

I wasn't being snarky. I was serious.

:rolleyes:

The ability to type on a message board qualifies one for what field of work?

If you can type on a message board, you can type on, say, a blog, throw some google adsense ads on it, and make some money. I'm not sure what field of work that counts as.

I keep saying that if I could just find someone to pay me for my google skills....

Looks like they deleted my link, but; becoming a chacha guide sounds like it is for you.

If you can type on a message board, you can type on, say, a blog, throw some google adsense ads on it, and make some money. I'm not sure what field of work that counts as.

An income-generating blog requires far more than simple typing skills.

It takes writing skills and a unique perspective at the very least.

I wonder if the time it takes to maintain an interesting blog is worth the few pennies that the ads bring in.

An income-generating blog requires far more than simple typing skills.

It takes writing skills and a unique perspective at the very least.

It really doesn't, but, ok, she can set up a forum (obviously people want to read her forum posts) and put some ads on that.

I use to have a forum that I pretty much set up and then ignored that I was making about $600 a month from.

It really doesn't, but, ok, she can set up a forum (obviously people want to read her forum posts) and put some ads on that.

I use to have a forum that I pretty much set up and then ignored that I was making about $600 a month from.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

To the OP, use it if you need to but have a solid plan to improve your situation in the very near future.

I don't buy it either. I've been blogging for almost two years. I have over 100 subscribers and average between 60-80 unique hits a day. I have lots of people tell me that they love my blog. I've even met people who recognized me from my blog. When I had ads, I only made about $2 a month.

Google blocked me from adsense even though I have never violated their terms of service. I've never had Google adsense on my blog; I was blocked because they blocked my husband. (They reserve the right to block people who are associated with blocked people.) They blocked him because they thought he was getting too many ad clicks for his traffic; he never violated their terms of service. Not only can he not have Google adsense, but they kept all of the money he had earned up to that point too.

No, I don't buy that it is easy to make money from blogging.

PLEASE apply f or food stamps.

My BFF has been the working poor for years. Yesterday she told me that she was getting in one month's worth food stamps what she would have to spend on her family for the year. They do not come to her house, they do not check on how she raises her family. They ask for bank statements. That is all. She, for the first time in years, feels like she has had an enormous burden lifted off her shoulders. (and that is with me helping in every way I can)

Edited by justamouse

If I could find a way to earn money blogging or have my own forum I would, but I don't know the first thing about either one! Like I said I don't have any skills! Can you send me a link that tells me how that isn't a gimick!

Only thing I know how to do is sew a little. And before I was working as an assembler. So how can I make money doing either one of those things! starting my own business is not option because you need start up money:glare:

Any other ideas!

"...if you qualify, then do it. If you need help, take it. That's what it's there for."

:iagree:

But OP, you've got a long-term problem here. You've got a dh who can't support the family, and will never be able to. If you are to live a life free of constant financial stress, you are going to need to increase the family income. You need to fit yourself for a high-wage job. My mom found herself in a similar situation years ago, and wound up training to be a nurse. She'll be working that job until she can retire.

What is your 18 y.o. ds planning to do next year? Because he's not going to be supported by you, because you CAN'T. Talk to him, make sure he's on the same page and understands how desperate the financial situation is. (And BTW - he needs to be hauling the trash to the dump. Money or no money, that's just the right thing for a grown-up son to do when his father physically cannot.)

Your next-in-line kid is 9, right? It's going to be a long time before they can help you with childcare, but maybe not too long until they can run interference while you take online classes. These things vary by state, but you may find that once you are hooked into public assistance, you can get some help with tuition. Talk to your social worker, explain your situation and tell how badly you desire to better yourself and become independent.

But in the meantime, TAKE THE FOOD STAMPS. I, the taxpayer, am officially giving you moral permission to take them. :)

"

What is your 18 y.o. ds planning to do next year? Because he's not going to be supported by you, because you CAN'T. Talk to him, make sure he's on the same page and understands how desperate the financial situation is......

TAKE THE FOOD STAMPS. I, the taxpayer, am officially giving you moral permission to take them. :)

DS 18yo is not living with us due to other circumstances he moved in w/gp to finish education and that state helps w/tution if he completes hs there. I figured that was the best thing I could do for him so he will be able to attend college. Also, he knows we will not be able to help. It was explained yrs ago!(I was single mom for a long time before I got remarried)

Thanks for the approval everyone!:001_smile:

"...But OP, you've got a long-term problem here. You've got a dh who can't support the family, and will never be able to. If you are to live a life free of constant financial stress, you are going to need to increase the family income. You need to fit yourself for a high-wage job. My mom found herself in a similar situation years ago, and wound up training to be a nurse. She'll be working that job until she can retire.

I agree 100% Do you know of any legite online colleges? I know I would proubly qualify for assistance. Our local cc is 3o min away and right now. I am not sure if I could find the time to go away for school.

I agree 100% Do you know of any legite online colleges? I know I would proubly qualify for assistance. Our local cc is 3o min away and right now. I am not sure if I could find the time to go away for school.

You can definitely start doing some classes online at most, if not all, community colleges. If you do decide to go to nursing school, try and take any class that is required for the nursing program but isn't a nursing class, such as English, math, psychology, and anatomy. If you can do one class a time, that is a big start. Nursing is a fabulous career, and super flexible. I am a nurse and I only work 3-4 shifts per month and I make enough to pay the mortgage, van payment, cell phone, and electric bill.

Best wishes! Oh, and by the way, get the food stamps! But, like the others have said, make a long term plan!!

Apply for the food stamps, they were created for people in your situation :grouphug:

As for all the chores you need to do, maybe start teaching the 9 and 7 year old to help with the laundry. At first, it might take longer than it does for you to do it by yourself, but after a bit of practice, they should become proficient at laundry, and it would take a bit of stress off of your shoulders

I attend American Public University. It is all online. It's regionally accredited, which is more important than national accreditation when it comes to transferring to other colleges and getting in to graduate school (should that be in your future).

I don't buy it, either. I run a forum as well and unless you are serving a very specific demographic that you've somehow managed to convince to use YOUR forum as opposed to the other 20 that those people can google and show much more use, AND your ads are attractive enough and pertinent enough to interest those visitors to click on them (how many ads do ANY of us click on a daily basis??), you are not going to make $600/month. Please. My intelligence is insulted.

If I could find a way to earn money blogging or have my own forum I would, but I don't know the first thing about either one! Like I said I don't have any skills! Can you send me a link that tells me how that isn't a gimick!

Only thing I know how to do is sew a little. And before I was working as an assembler. So how can I make money doing either one of those things! starting my own business is not option because you need start up money:glare:

Any other ideas!

I'm a seamstress and manuscript typist. Guess what: I don't do either now, because I have my hands full with homeschooling, taking care of littles, and taking care of a home. Like your husband, mine works his rear off and is too tired to do much at home. I'm it. And when I've tried to go outside of the home to help, everything here falls apart. I'm the glue. I totally understand. Some people just don't get it :glare: Occasionally glancing at or responding on a forum takes a couple of minutes while eating lunch or drinking your coffee, then you are off again to the next thing.

All that to say that I do understand and that hopefully certain others will step back on their judgment of others. (honestly, I glanced at those sites and I'm not buying it either...too little pay to make up for the time)

Community college classes are really affordable if you qualify for the Pell grant. You might even make a little bit of money off of it if you get your books used and such. Many CC are offering lots of online classes these days, so it's worth checking into. I also took online courses through Fort Hays State University and they were excellent.

Community college classes are really affordable if you qualify for the Pell grant. You might even make a little bit of money off of it if you get your books used and such. Many CC are offering lots of online classes these days, so it's worth checking into. I also took online courses through Fort Hays State University and they were excellent.

Also, check and see if the CC near you has a displaced homemaker program. It's for women who've been out of the workforce and need marketable skills. Can't hurt to ask.

I would hate to babysit as a means of income, but in our hsing group, lots of families split work, and are often looking for help with childcare from other people who share life philosophies such as hsing. I vote, use food stamps if you need them, but I also wonder if there isn't a local Yahoo hs group where you might inquire if there are any hsers looking for limited childcare assistance?

Edited by LibraryLover

Hi. I thought I would chime in since I used to be a case worker who determined eligibility for food stamps. It was well over ten years ago and granted, requirements change, but for what it's worth, I'll give my two cents on what I can remember.

I ran into several homeschoolers on my caseloads and it did come into play in determining eligibility in at least two states where I worked. The main reason was that all children were supposed to be enrolled in school full time in order to receive benefits. The way we worked it was that the family had to show verification of state compliance, that the school district was aware that the child was being homeschooled and not truant. Never were we to agree/disagree/pass judgement on the families' choice to homeschool, but instead only verify that they were compliant.

Now, I did work in one state that did not have strict reporting laws for homeschooling families...Oklahoma...however, the families still had to show school enrollment in order to receive food stamps. There just was no getting around that eligibility requirement. So, in that state, families had to provide a "course of study" for each homeschooled child and show work samples during follow up meetings. It was the only way we caseworkers could verify that the child was receiving an education and check off the eligibility requirement.

Now, the other side to receiving assistance is that case workers will definitely be in your chili about why you are not working. There are a lot of telecommuting jobs you can train for with states' assistance (medical transcriptionists, legal research assistants, medical insurance coder, plus a whole lot more). There are also online education programs for which you may qualify. Ask your caseworker about these types of opportunities.

Good Luck!

Hi. I thought I would chime in since I used to be a case worker who determined eligibility for food stamps. It was well over ten years ago and granted, requirements change, but for what it's worth, I'll give my two cents on what I can remember.

I ran into several homeschoolers on my caseloads and it did come into play in determining eligibility in at least two states where I worked. The main reason was that all children were supposed to be enrolled in school full time in order to receive benefits. The way we worked it was that the family had to show verification of state compliance, that the school district was aware that the child was being homeschooled and not truant. Never were we to agree/disagree/pass judgement on the families' choice to homeschool, but instead only verify that they were compliant.

Now, I did work in one state that did not have strict reporting laws for homeschooling families...Oklahoma...however, the families still had to show school enrollment in order to receive food stamps. There just was no getting around that eligibility requirement. So, in that state, families had to provide a "course of study" for each homeschooled child and show work samples during follow up meetings. It was the only way we caseworkers could verify that the child was receiving an education and check off the eligibility requirement.

Now, the other side to receiving assistance is that case workers will definitely be in your chili about why you are not working. There are a lot of telecommuting jobs you can train for with states' assistance (medical transcriptionists, legal research assistants, medical insurance coder, plus a whole lot more). There are also online education programs for which you may qualify. Ask your caseworker about these types of opportunities.

Good Luck!

I've received help in 2 states and never had to prove homeschooling (or school attendance) and never been pushed to get a job at all. I imagine it is because I have so many young children. In FL, I have *never* talked to anyone at all whatsoever! I applied online, got a letter asking for certain documents, faxed them in, and received a letter notifying me of my eligibility.

ETA: I'd be interested to links to companies that are hiring telecommuters. The only ones I have come across require that you have a certain amount of experience. I am very interested in doing legal research from home.

You don't have to look for colleges that are specifically online. Many local colleges and universities now have online classes, so start with your local cc and see what they have available. Also, if you qualify for food stamps, you probably qualify for other financial aid to attend school (I know I did).

As far as work from home, there are a couple of legitimate sites to look. One is http://www.workplacelikehome.com. The forums there are very helpful (I have the same user name as I do here, and have been a part of the forums since 2006). Another good website is http://www.ratracerebellion.com. They have many good legitimate job leads everyday, as well as a list of companies that hire from home. I've worked from home since 2006, and although I now work full-time away from home, I still keep ACD Direct as a side job. I will not let them go as I know the job I have is temporary.

Hope this information is helpful. Working outside the home and homeschooling can be very very difficult, so hope you find a good alternative.

I thought there was a time limit for food stamps that started in the 1990's. I think it is a lifetime limit of five years or something like that so that people don't rest on the laurels and think others should provide. I think what the OP needs to do is not have any more children, have her husband see about getting a second job, or get a job herself on weekends or evenings. There are jobs out there for relatively unskilled people. Retail sales like cashiers, waitressing, motel breakfast people who put out the cereals and make the coffee, and other such jobs. DO they pay much- no and that is why I say get a job when your husband isn't working. That way you have no childcare costs. Maybe the more useful way to get more income is for the husband to get some more education and get a higher paying job.

I don't want to deal with other people's children that do not have same views as me on child rearing.

Childcare work can be tough, but when your family needs the money, you do what you have to do. I ran an in-home daycare for three years, in addition to homeschooling and taking care of my own four children.

If you have a reasonable way around it, then I think that you should not use the system. If you need it, then you need it, and that is why it is there! I would rather you use food stamps and fill your kids with healthy food, than to short change their nutrition to avoid being on the system.

This is a .pdf checklist that outlines what information you need to apply for foodstamps.

This is the .pdf brochure that outlines what you can get, and the phone numbers for every state office that administers the SNAP program.

This answers everything else.

This page from the FDA lists the websites for each state that outline the requirements for each state's program. Some of the direct links are outdated, but you can cut the ends off of the links to the main page to find what you're looking for.

This page lists .pdf documents outlining the federal laws governing foodstamps.

Pretty much anything you'd need to know is on the FDA's website.

asta