Menu

Food stamps? opinions

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A veggie burger cost more than a double cheeseburger. Also, it was relevant because we were talking about feeding a family with double cheeseburgers, and I was explaining why I couldn't do that.

What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not talking about you. YOU are the only one talking about YOU. YOUR situation is not everyone's situation. When I'm talking about various geographical situations, work situations, economic situations, I'm NOT talking about me. Do you understand?

It's not that I am choosing to ignore them, I am just choosing not to say that these are all changeable things, and things that one knows when one begins a family, at risk of sounding more snarky.

What are you suggesting? Eugenics? The government taking children away when a breadwinner loses a job? What? It would be nice to live in a bubble where everything is stable and one can predict with perfect accuracy what's going to happen down the road, but most of us don't live in such a bubble.

Which other post would you like me to address.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1653857&postcount=245

CPSIA has been a real bite to MANY WAHMs that have relied on their skills and creativity to help make ends meet. Personally, due to what I've seen of larger companies harassing WAHMs, I do believe that there are some larger people behind the wording as they have the money and power to drive such a bill.

I agree (you know home-diaper making mommas?). It's been true of other big companies v. small companies, like the Mosanto situation. It's getting to a point where individuals cannot do business in many areas without corporations suing them, even without grounds, because the individual doesn't have the power or money to fight it.

On another topic: Lactational Amoerhea works well for some women and not at all for others. My SIL and I are direct opposites on how this works.

I agree. I didn't get my period until my kids were 15 months old (they all nursed until they were 2 1/2), but my mom's period returned when her babies were 6 weeks old, despite full-time breastfeeding.

Sonic,

Where do you eat that you can feed your family nutritiously for 15 dollars a day? And I'd love to see a menu, because frankly, I don't believe it.

Near Chicago. Let me see if I can remember what we had today... breakfast was homemade hashbrowns, cheese, and (real) oatmeal with bananna (I had an egg instead of hashbrowns). Lunch was homemade hummus with vegetables. We haven't decided on dinner yet, but I'm thinking of having veggie loaf. For snacks we had various fruit.

What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not talking about you. YOU are the only one talking about YOU. YOUR situation is not everyone's situation. When I'm talking about various geographical situations, work situations, economic situations, I'm NOT talking about me. Do you understand?

I am taking about me to prove that everyone saying eating healthy is more expensive and it is impossible for it to not be is wrong; I am proving that because I am doing it. Do you understand?

Where do you eat that you can feed your family nutritiously for 15 dollars a day?

I live in Ohio and I can do it, but I don't for one second pretend to believe that everyone in every place can. And there are plenty of people who think a diet without animal protein is profoundly UNhealthy, so they buy eggs and meat, etc., which would just increase the cost of the diet. I think we are rare (not better than, just rare) in our ability to eat as nutritiously and inexpensively as we do. But processed crap would still be cheaper.

Tara

Near Chicago. Let me see if I can remember what we had today... breakfast was homemade hashbrowns, cheese, and (real) oatmeal with bananna (I had an egg instead of hashbrowns).

I don't consider fried potatoes and cheese to be "healthy."

Lunch was homemade hummus with vegetables.
We *regularly* have hummus, crackers and veggies as an afternoon snack. My kids would stage a coup if I tried to feed them that for lunch.

I am taking about me to prove that everyone saying eating healthy is more expensive and it is impossible for it to not be is wrong; I am proving that because I am doing it. Do you understand?

Except talking about you proves no such thing. YOU would NOT be able to feed your family for that price here in Hawaii. That ONE example, alone, proves my point.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Near Chicago. Let me see if I can remember what we had today... breakfast was homemade hashbrowns, cheese, and (real) oatmeal with bananna (I had an egg instead of hashbrowns). Lunch was homemade hummus with vegetables. We haven't decided on dinner yet, but I'm thinking of having veggie loaf. For snacks we had various fruit.

Prices and breakdown, please. How many children, what ages? Why? Three toddlers eat as much as a fly, so you're talking basically feeding 2 adults.

And that food, by me would cost over 40 bucks. Green beans cost 1.99 a pound. 5 pounds of carrots cost 6 dollars, a small can of garbanzos cost @ 99 cents, tahini costs 6 bucks for the Haffa brand, the Krinos brand is more like 8 dollars. Lemons are 2 for a dollar when they're on sale. A 5 pound bag of potatoes cost me 4 $. I'm not going to count the garlic, and olive oil, when on sale here, is 10 dollars for a 101 oz can otherwise it's 15 and the really good EVOO is more like 26 bucks. A dozen eggs are 3.50, and a large container of 'real' oats costs 4.00. Cheese -the store brand- is about 5.99 a pound. Bananas are .89 cents a pound.

So, like I said, show me the $.

Edited by justamouse

Here is what I have learned from years of volunteering in food pantries. No one comes in and donates fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, whole grains in large amounts. I have never seen anyone donate veggie burgers, veggie dogs or such.

It is simply more expensive to feed families the healtier foods. Families in need want something filling. Like it or not the cheaper foods stretch further and have a longer shelve life.

It is rare that the low wage family, who normally works the most labor intensive jobs want to come home and spend hours cooking. They want to eat, rest and spend time with family. The reality is time is limited and money is limited and you will choose the most convenient and cost effective way to do it.

And lower income families don't always have the luxury of decent kitchens fully stocked with quality cookware. They sometimes don't have gas to cook with. And some do not even have basic cooking knowledge.

It doesn't concern me if a family chooses to eat cheeseburgers, pizza, tacos, burritos, soda and kool aid for the entire month. It saddens me to think some feel they have the right to judge others so harshly. I only hope it never comes to the point where you are in that position. Where you have to examine each item you put in your cart. And wonder if will this item meet the approval of the American taxpayers? I hope you never are made to feel guilty for needing a little help in life.

I don't consider hummus and veggies to be a good lunch for kids. IMO that is more of a snack.

Why would hashbrowns and cheese to be healthier than a double cheeseburger? *besides the lack of ammonia of course* To me that would be junkfood. I love me some fried taters but that is junk.

Edited by Sis
edited to declare my love for fried potatoes

sOnic,

You've lost this debate with your lack of compassionate tone. You haven't helped the original OP with any of your judgemental/overly critical/holier than thou/arrogant comments. Instead, you've probably made her feel worse. For the sake of not shaming more people on this board who need to humbly ask for support and encouragement, stop now. Please.

Let's stop feeding the troll.

I don't know if the poster you are referring to is a troll or not, but I have found this thread rather informative.

I will read as long as the conversation continues, and I hope some of the contributors will continue to make their points and share the information they have to offer.

Edited by Crissy

I am the OP!

I did not know that I was going to start such a debate!:tongue_smilie:

What's the record for the most pages on here.

Thank you for all your support!

From what I have read most people would support my decision. I have an appt next week:)

PS thanks for all the PMs as well.:D

I'm happy for you that you have an appointment. Hopefully you will feel better about your situation knowing that temporary relief is near. I would ask your caseworker for referrals to household budgeting help, nutrition counseling, and education/ vo-tech training help as well. I know there are many grant funded programs out there that you may also qualify for while you are receiving assistance. These programs are set up to give you extra time to pursue training in a lucrative career field that perhaps you can do at home.

Good luck to you.

I haven't read all the replies, but wanted to say to the OP, I would encourage any decision you make that helps put food in your young ones' bellies. It seems you are doing everything you can, with what you can, in these unstable times. That's all anyone can ask! And I am glad to see your children won't go hungry because of situations beyond their or your control.

I do not have any experience finding unskilled work, but hope the best for you, and will pray that when your dc are old enough for you to find work, you find something that satisfies your emotional and financial needs. I would suggest that you go to your church, if you attend one, and see about a food pantry. That way, food stamps can take you further in buying fresh fruits and produce.

I don't think the social worker would ask you too much about homeschooling, and I certainly hope our tax dollars don't go to squashing education rights--how does your method of education determine whether or not your family receives assistance to eat? That would be something worth writing my representatives about, IMO.

You are a brave woman and I admire all the work you do to care for your children and husband.

All the best,

Kate

I was just going to post something similar. But really, how can you not like trolls with their pointy horns and scraggly hair and good humor. Lots of fun.

Edited by aggieamy

I don't know, after seeing what she's eaten today, maybe we should keep feeding her. She's got to be hungry. Hummus for lunch? I'd be starving.

Going back to the current topic at hand, I would never be able to feed my family for fifteen dollars a day, especially not in the summer, when the two local grocery stores that have a decent organic selection jack up the price of produce because of all the wealthy tourists that come to town. We consider organic milk a necessity, given what they put in non-organic milk, and that stuff costs seven bucks a gallon. And I have a thirsty 22 month old who is the size of a 12 month old (literally) and needs all the fat and calories she can get.

I was looking at the bread in the grocery store today, and even the junky, loaded with HFCS Walmart brand is $1.50 per loaf, and I would never feed that to my dd. Maybe sOnic doesn't mind going with the cheap Aldi brand, but as far as healthy eating goes, when I don't have time to bake my own I buy the natural stuff, and it costs $3.99 a loaf.

I buy free-range eggs, and they are between three and four dollars a dozen. Oranges right now are .75 a piece. The organic granola we buy is $4.99 a pound. Tomatoes are $3.99 a pound. If I make, say, a small homemade pizza for dinner with what I consider to be healthy ingredients, which means a crust and sauce made from scratch, that's gotta be close to ten bucks right there.

You keep snooting (I know it's not really a word, but it sounds so appropriate. And Seussian.), sOnic about how healthy your family eats and that's why you don't spend much, but from what you've said so far, I don't see a lot of healthy food in your description. Hummus and veg is healthy, but you've got to eat enough, too.

I'm happy for you that you have an appointment. Hopefully you will feel better about your situation knowing that temporary relief is near. I know there are many grant funded programs out there that you may also qualify for while you are receiving assistance. These programs are set up to give you extra time to pursue training in a lucrative career field that perhaps you can do at home.

Thanks I am currently checking out some online schools that take pell grants. So I can get training to be Medical Transcriptionist. I would like to start out doing some reg transcription jobs now but I would need seperate computer this one will not handle it. Ideally I would like a laptop so I can do it anywhere in the house.:glare:

We currently eat pretty healthy lots of fruits, and salads. Unfortunately, DH is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but he is trying.

The garden sounds like fun, but I live on a shady lot and I can only grow a few things because of that. We have done tomatoes and cucumbers which I will proubly try again this year. :)

Thanks I am currently checking out some online schools that take pell grants. So I can get training to be Medical Transcriptionist. I would like to start out doing some reg transcription jobs now but I would need seperate computer this one will not handle it. Ideally I would like a laptop so I can do it anywhere in the house.:glare:

We currently eat pretty healthy lots of fruits, and salads. Unfortunately, DH is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but he is trying.

The garden sounds like fun, but I live on a shady lot and I can only grow a few things because of that. We have done tomatoes and cucumbers which I will proubly try again this year. :)

One thing you could also consider is trying to go into nursing. (Not sure if this was mentioned yet, and there's no way I'm going back through to look and see, lol.) I know you can't do it from home, but I work with several nurses at my job, and they get excellent pay. Also, because there is such a demand for nurses, I've heard that a lot of hospitals and nursing homes will actually pay for your training if you agree to work there for a period of time after you finish. The nurses that I know tend to have pretty flexible hours- since nurses are needed around the clock, you can pick your shift. If you got a degree in nursing and worked, say twelve hour shifts every other weekend, that would be a significant amount of income for your family.

Many of the companies that hire in home medical transcriptionists will provide the computer for free. Do your research about this and apply to those that do provide them. I know two people in this field who never had to pay one penny for their computer system BUT I'm not sure if it's only meant to be used for work and not personal use. Again, good luck!

We homeschool our 3 of the 5 of our children other 2 are not school age. Putting them in PS is not an option in my opinion. My dh works and I stay home. Due to his health it is all he can do just to work 40hours week. I have my hands quite full with everything else. He can only handle work I do EVERYTHING else. So working outside of the home is out of the question.

His income still puts us below poverty level. We already recieve WIC and assistance with heating, but I have been seriuosly considering applying for food stamps. But I have mixed emotions about it. I really do not want a social worker question me on how we raise our children.(part of the reason I homeschool) Also, I can't spend tons of time up at Dept social services either. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

If you think FS will help you then I think you should get them. :)

That is what they are for.

If other people don't like that, so what? I think you are doing a good job and good for you for making decisions to help your family. :)

One thing you could also consider is trying to go into nursing. (Not sure if this was mentioned yet, and there's no way I'm going back through to look and see, lol.) I know you can't do it from home, but I work with several nurses at my job, and they get excellent pay. Also, because there is such a demand for nurses, I've heard that a lot of hospitals and nursing homes will actually pay for your training if you agree to work there for a period of time after you finish. The nurses that I know tend to have pretty flexible hours- since nurses are needed around the clock, you can pick your shift. If you got a degree in nursing and worked, say twelve hour shifts every other weekend, that would be a significant amount of income for your family.

Yup!

I'm pretty sure that financial aide for people willing to get into the medical field was written into the recent healthcare law, too. There are going to be more Drs and nurses needed with the influx of people who will have coverage. If you want to go that route-check with your local CC. Ours has an RN (whereas many CCs just do LPN) and local scholarships bequeathed by local nurses and Drs who passed on. ALSO-and I just learned this-local Granges give education loans to their members.

Edited by justamouse
cause I can't schpell and menopause made me forget words

One thing you could also consider is trying to go into nursing.

I have looked into nursing before and the school here is VERY hard to get into and we only have 1 hospital in the area and they don't pay very well. Most people who go to school end up leaving the area. My SIL did this they moved to DC area because she could get paid 3 times as much as here. And moving is not an option! I love my area and we have tons of family here.

I don't know if sOnicfreak is a troll or not (why do I get the feeling that "she" is a he?), but I don't see a problem with hummus and veggies for lunch. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen other posters list that on "what does your menu look like?" threads in the past. It sounds like typical vegetarian fare to me. :confused:

Mergath, really not trying to be snarky, but if you had to feed your family for $15 a day, you would. You admitted in another post you are utilizing the FS program right now, so I assume this is how you can afford to buy the "good" food you are serving your family. Without assistance, you would buy whatever food you could afford. You'd make it as healthy as possible, but it's doubtful it would be organic and free-range. The "junky" Wal-mart bread and non-organic milk are what many, if not most, working families can afford. Unfortunately.

I don't know if sOnicfreak is a troll or not (why do I get the feeling that "she" is a he?), but I don't see a problem with hummus and veggies for lunch. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen other posters list that on "what does your menu look like?" threads in the past. It sounds like typical vegetarian fare to me. :confused:

Oh I don't have a problem with it. :) That just sounds like a ton of hummus if one is eating it for lunch. That would give me gas :lol:

We eat hummus regularly. But, if it's for lunch, then I serve it with something like a tomato/olive salad and pita bread. The fat in the olives and the carbs in the pita bread fill you up. Just hummus and carrots (for example, that's what we usually have with hummus as a snack), wouldn't do the job for lunch for my kids.

Mergath, really not trying to be snarky, but if you had to feed your family for $15 a day, you would. You admitted in another post you are utilizing the FS program right now, so I assume this is how you can afford to buy the "good" food you are serving your family. Without assistance, you would buy whatever food you could afford. You'd make it as healthy as possible, but it's doubtful it would be organic and free-range. The "junky" Wal-mart bread and non-organic milk are what many, if not most, working families can afford. Unfortunately.

That's exactly her point.

Definitely. I guess I should have been more clear. I could feed my family for fifteen bucks a day, but it wouldn't be healthy. A lot of it would be empty calories by necessity, and we would be replacing the meat that we eat with beans. Which would probably be a beneficial change, lol. :P But there'd be a lot of junk.

My point was more that sOnic said several times that not only does she feed her family for fifteen dollars a day, but they eat very healthy food. To have a healthy diet on that amount of money is, in most places, simply not possible.

Edited by Mergath

This is true. A few years ago I was feeding my family of then 7 on $240 a month. It was ROUGH! I used to say I could never do lots of things, and then I had to. It's a lot easier to do when you have to.:tongue_smilie:

Then you guys are eating WAY too many carbs.

Am I the only one seeing the hypocrisy in the above two quotes?

Ok, but then they have empty bellies later in the day, while if they had just gotten healthy food, they would have full bellies all day.

Spending $5 on double cheese burgers for breakfast, and then $5 on double cheese burgers for lunch, is more than spending $10 on healthy ingredients in the morning to make both breakfast and lunch and having a little left over. People just see that $10 is more than $5, and don't think about the fact that they will be spending $5 more later.

Again, you've make presumptions about ppl that you know nothing about.

If you can buy only fresh vegetarian items for $10 and have enough to spread across two meals plus "extra", then you really are living somewhere other than the US...or you don't have kids.

Here's your sign: I'm not going to respond to you anymore, because something doesn't smell right with you. I prefer the "don't feed the troll" rule.

Am I the only one seeing the hypocrisy in the above two quotes?

Yes. And there is a contradiction in how she's bragging that she buy so much fresh vegetarian stuff, stretching it on for umpteen meals, AND she lives near Chicago :glare: Yeah, right. I'm all too familiar with the prices in that area. She's flubbing somewhere. Her story doesn't add up. Oh, and she just shot herself in the foot as far as being a "vegetarian" with that menu.

Edited by mommaduck

Obviously this person has not seen Food Inc like the rest of this board has and is still living in the pre-Food Inc Dark Ages of Food Awareness

:lol:

:lol::smilielol5:Don't forget King Corn! And Who Killed the Electric Car! Oh, wait, never mind that last one... :leaving:

Obviously this person has not seen Food Inc like the rest of this board has and is still living in the pre-Food Inc Dark Ages of Food Awareness

:lol:

:lol::smilielol5:Don't forget King Corn! And Who Killed the Electric Car! Oh, wait, never mind that last one... :leaving:

You two are a hoot! I need a Mike's; that person really takes the cake.

It's not that I am choosing to ignore them, I am just choosing not to say that these are all changeable things, and things that one knows when one begins a family, at risk of sounding more snarky.

Which other post would you like me to address.

I did inquire awhile back (since this is a homeschooling forum) as to which curricula you use and how long you have been homeschooling.

I did inquire awhile back (since this is a homeschooling forum) as to which curricula you use and how long you have been homeschooling.

If I were a betting woman, I'd bet that they have very young kids, therefore NO curriculum and have zero clue how much you have to feed a teenager in the middle of a growth spurt. My teenaged GIRL sometimes eats more than my army husband who runs 8+ miles a day.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
typo fail

If I were a betting woman, I'd bet that they have very young kids, therefore NO curriculum and have zero clue how much you have to feed a teenager in the middle of a growth spurt. My teenaged GIRL sometimes eats more than my army husband who runs 8+ miles a day.

:iagree: Some days my 10 year old, skinny as a rail son never stops eating. Really. Every time I look at him he's rummaging through the fridge. Then the next day he'll look an inch taller.

If I kept pace with him, I'd grow an inch, too, but it wouldn't be *taller*. <sigh>

:iagree: Some days my 10 year old, skinny as a rail son never stops eating. Really. Every time I look at him he's rummaging through the fridge. Then the next day he'll look an inch taller.

If I kept pace with him, I'd grow an inch, too, but it wouldn't be *taller*. <sigh>

Tell me about it!!! My girl only weighs 85 lbs and she's already 3" taller than I am! Granted, my mom was big on the processed food. I can't even tell you how many Hostess cupcakes and poptarts I ate for breakfast. :tongue_smilie:

And I can darn well bet that if he only ate veggies, the garden would be gone in a week (if it was a good sized garden). We used to have an orchard and the kids would eat straight from it all summer long depending on what was in season. When the cherries were ripe, the tree was bare by evening :lol:

Tell me about it!!! My girl only weighs 85 lbs and she's already 3" taller than I am! Granted, my mom was big on the processed food. I can't even tell you how many Hostess cupcakes and poptarts I ate for breakfast. :tongue_smilie:

We used to have turkey loaf at least once a week when I was a kid. It's basically a big brick of processed god-only-knows-what-part-of-the-turkey with enough chemicals added to stock a decent chemistry set. And every kind of plant we had was microwaved to mush before serving. Yeah... we've come a long way. :D

I always wonder if people twenty years from now will look back at us and say, "Can you believe they ate like that??"

Wow - this is what happens when you go out and try to have a life - you come back and the thread is now 30 pages long!

3and3, I just realized why your name sounded familiar. I used to have that name on another board! :lol: At the time I had 3 living children and 3 miscarried children.

When stepdad would go TDY, we lived off of tuna helper, hamburger helper, and McD's. Mama didn't know how to cook.

When I was really little (as in when I was the "only child") our household lived off of expired food from the AF planes that flew medical. We were military poor and you ate what was available. I also learned to eat what was fixed, there was no "I don't like this" or other pickiness permitted.

Edited by mommaduck