Menu

Why Dont I Like Any Kindergarten Curriculum???

originalkat

I have searched high and low and I can not find a KG curriculum that I like. I think I am going to use CLE for 1st grade, but their KG looks too easy for dd. I dont like the way MFW looks, Sonlight looks OK, but she already knows her letter sounds (we used 100 easy lessons) and the first grade looks too hard.

What is wrong with me? Am I too picky? I dont have time to piece together a whole curriculum. Any suggestions?

Kindergarten in my opinion is for playing! When the child comes to you and asks you how to write such a such letter or would you help them read this word, then you help them. Math is playing games, helping mommy cook, reading counting books, etc. Read to them a lot, color a lot, go nature watching. That's all you need!

Kindergarten is made up and a fairly new phenomenon in the educational world. It is completely unnecessary. So the reason you don't like any Kindergarten curriculum is because it is soooo canned learning when it should be natural learning.

Just my not so humble opinion! LOL!

Its because you don't need a kindergarten cirriculum.

The only thing you need in K is a good phonics program and some easy math plus lots of playing and building and creating and doing and a bunch of good stories. Maybe a handwriting program, but it isn't neccesary.

:iagree: My upcoming Ker will do Phonics Pathways, Horizon's K math, HWT and lots and lots of playing.

:iagree: My upcoming Ker will do Phonics Pathways, Horizon's K math, HWT and lots and lots of playing.

:iagree: for a 3rd.

Next yr I will be teaching my 7th Ker. It should be fun, short, and simple. I use Sing, Spell, Read, Write's first grade program over k and 1 (just move at their pace) and Horizons math. Works like a charm!

With my first, I used k12.com's K program, but it wasn't neccesary. For my 4 yo, we'll be using Horizons 1 (continuing math and phonics), Miquon, listening in on older brother's SOTW, BFSU for science, and lots of reading. Oh, and HWT once in a while :) And lots of crafts!

The only thing you need in K is a good phonics program and some easy math plus lots of playing and building and creating and doing and a bunch of good stories. Maybe a handwriting program, but it isn't neccesary.

:iagree:

Kindergarten in my opinion is for playing! When the child comes to you and asks you how to write such a such letter or would you help them read this word, then you help them. Math is playing games, helping mommy cook, reading counting books, etc. Read to them a lot, color a lot, go nature watching. That's all you need!

Kindergarten is made up and a fairly new phenomenon in the educational world. It is completely unnecessary. So the reason you don't like any Kindergarten curriculum is because it is soooo canned learning when it should be natural learning.

Just my not so humble opinion! LOL!

I'm running into the same problem. I've looked at probably EVERY.SINGLE. K program out there and always come away unimpressed. Every K progam seems way too easy for a kid who knows their ABCs and how to count already, but I know dd is not ready for 1st grade (she is ONLY 4). I guess there are just a bunch of kids out there that would be board with Kindergarten but overwhelmed with 1st grade.

Oh well, we'll just do like we did this year -- Plenty of play time with a hodge-podge of phonics and math thrown in and lots of hands on fun! :001_smile:

True, True, True. I already can tell from our pre-k year that we will be relaxed homeschoolers. We have tons of manips and math stuff because I have a home preschool/daycare and have been collecting for years. She initiates MOST of her learning and plays, paints, creates all the time anyway. I know this is what she needs. I did do 100 easy lessons and we are 1/2 way through. She has done SO well with that and loves the reading lessons. She really likes workbooks...so I wanted to have some of that.

I am somewhat worried about this being her official first year of school. I am sure family and friends will be asking questions and although they are supportive they also are clueless about homeschooling and some have negative feelings because of stories they have heard. Anyway, I guess I just want to use something so I can say we are. LOL! Maybe I will get over that...I dont know.

Keep it simple and fun.

Check out these cute and free readers http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm The teach reading in a very simple manner. Just teach the sounds and blend them to read the words. http://www.3rsplus.com has the 1st-3rd grade sets as well as these===along with nice teaching instructions, etc.

Work on reading, maybe a bit of handwriting, and some math and call it good. You can then add in fun field trips, simple chores/cooking, lots of fun and play time and some good read alouds (I find Sonlight, My Father's World, Winter Promise, etc. great for good book ideas).

That's what I was just going to say as well. No curriculum needed. Just enjoy!

Susie

Here's how K looks around here:

Phonics (OPGTR, ETC)

Handwriting (Z-B, ETC)

Math (SM, sometimes Kumon)

Grammar (FLL, usually starting in the second half of the year; depends on the kid's readiness)

History and Science are on a "tag-along" basis

I've never used a packaged, all-in-one curriculum. It's too hard to get the challenge and workload levels right for every subject.

As for cutting and pasting, I go to a Mommy-and-Me-style preschool co-op at a local church with my kiddo. That covers all the cutting and pasting we'll want for quite a while, LOL.

Have you thought about using a “complete†LA program like LLATL Blue? It fills the need for a workbook, but it doesn’t have that typical workbook program feel, and it has quite a few cut and paste activities that my kids enjoyed in K. You can use it in a relaxed fashion as well. Or you could use a creative program like Oak Meadow, and then supplement with phonics workbooks like Explode the Code and a good handwriting book.

Add something like Miquon, Singapore or Rightstart for math. And then add more literature, along with a few living books for science and history, and your good to go.

I do agree though, not much of a “program†is really needed. But this way, you’d have something to “say†to skeptics. ;) It’s good that your dd enjoys artistic expression; all you need to do is supply the tools and the time for her to continue flourishing with that gift.

Best wishes in finding your way. :)

Oh my....this is my first reply (I'm new here tonight) and I don't know if I'm doing this right (like, why is there a Title at the top that's empty?? Wouldn't that be the original posters title?? I've got a lot to learn here!).

I know that K isn't even a requirement (at least not in our state). But, my kids have loved doing K. My youngest is doing K this year. We are using McRuffy SE Phonics & Reading as well as their Color Math and Science. My dd LOVES it. I'm really very happy I discovered it. Have you heard of it?? Here's a link:

http://mcruffy.com/Kindergarten-Phonics.htm

Just an fyi, if you view the samples there are some "glitches" with their pdf's....just that some times there are strange markings or slash marks...but the curriculum is not like that. :001_smile:

~AprilMay~

Edited by ~AprilMay~
forgot to "sign" my name. :0)

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I Agree! I could not find a K program this year either. This is why! We ended up with Saxon 1 and Phonics Pathways, thats it! Oh, and lots of great books. I copied reading lists from Sonlight, Ambleside, LivingBooks, and SCM. We read everything that was listed for 5 year olds and have moved on to the 1st grade books.

I guess I just want to use something so I can say we are. LOL! Maybe I will get over that...I dont know.

I'm with everyone else -- this is something worth getting over. Most people don't know anything about homeschooling, and are therefore totally unaware that such a thing as a "complete homeschool curriculum" exists. Why would they expect that you'd be using one if they don't know there even is such a thing?

There are many ways to explain what you're doing next year. Here is an example, which may or may not be in line with your actual plans.

"Our main focus next year will be on basic skills. We'll be continuing our reading program, and adding math and handwriting. I've looked into the standards at the local schools, and plan to make sure that our curriculum is at least as ambitious as what's being done there. For other subjects, like social studies and science, I plan regular library trips, museum outings, extensive nature study, and so on. [Daughter] is really interested in [something] right now, and one of the great things about homeschooling is that we can pursue that interest in as much depth as she wants. I'm sure we'll have no trouble finding things to study next year!"

:iagree: Counting, sorting, patterning, file folder games, lapbooks, lots of read-alouds, art exploration, nature walks, simple experiments, games....

Some great books to have on hand: Scribble Cookies, Mudworks, Kids Create!

I used to be a pre-school teacher and we did lots of this kind of thing (well, I've never really done lapbooks, but they look like fun!). I can give you more specifics if you'd like, but a lot of this can be done with stuff you've already got.

Like an ice cube, for instance (experiments in solid, liquid, gas as the ice melts then boils and forms steam...)

Ok, so maybe he's not a Ker yet...he'll be 5 in October but he loves 'school'. "I just want to do reading and adding today." is a common quote from him.

I read a lot to him, use Carson Dellosa little workbooks, and the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and follow the guidelines in the WTM book.

Starting in June we're going to give Sonlight a shot, just because my 11 year old will be home then and planning 2 completely different curriculums is beyond my strength. I'm contemplating Horizons Math K now over Singapore (gee how many workbook, activity books do I need?) and both of the kids are going to listen and watch Spanish stuff.

:001_smile:

True, True, True. I already can tell from our pre-k year that we will be relaxed homeschoolers. We have tons of manips and math stuff because I have a home preschool/daycare and have been collecting for years. She initiates MOST of her learning and plays, paints, creates all the time anyway. I know this is what she needs. I did do 100 easy lessons and we are 1/2 way through. She has done SO well with that and loves the reading lessons. She really likes workbooks...so I wanted to have some of that.

I am somewhat worried about this being her official first year of school. I am sure family and friends will be asking questions and although they are supportive they also are clueless about homeschooling and some have negative feelings because of stories they have heard. Anyway, I guess I just want to use something so I can say we are. LOL! Maybe I will get over that...I dont know.

A couple of other resources to check out are Kumon wkbks and Carson-Dellosa. They have several wkbks for pre-writing/pre-math skills, scissor skills, etc.

Oh my....this is my first reply (I'm new here tonight) and I don't know if I'm doing this right (like, why is there a Title at the top that's empty?? Wouldn't that be the original posters title?? I've got a lot to learn here!).

I know that K isn't even a requirement (at least not in our state). But, my kids have loved doing K. My youngest is doing K this year. We are using McRuffy SE Phonics & Reading as well as their Color Math and Science. My dd LOVES it. I'm really very happy I discovered it. Have you heard of it?? Here's a link:

http://mcruffy.com/Kindergarten-Phonics.htm

Just an fyi, if you view the samples there are some "glitches" with their pdf's....just that some times there are strange markings or slash marks...but the curriculum is not like that. :001_smile:

~AprilMay~

Hi AprilMay!

I'm gonna hijack this thread for a sec to let you know that you don't have to "sign your name" each time you post. Go to your "User Control Panel" (top left of page) and edit your signature. Sign your name in that and it will automatically show up each time you post. And welcome to the boards! :D

Its because you don't need a kindergarten curriculum.

My "language arts curriculum" for DS for K and the first half of 1st grade consisted of plastic letters on the fridge, lots of books and read-alouds, and lots and lots of conversation. Our "math curriculum" consisted of plastic fridge numbers and small food items. "Science" was nature walks and field trips. He started private school half-way through 1st grade (January) and the teacher said he was actually ahead of most of the other kids in reading and math. In fact, she said his mental arithmetic was the best in the class, despite the fact that his "math curriculum" consisted of fridge magnets and cheerios.

DD, on the other hand, had 2 years of Montessori preschool, plus K & 1st grade, and at the end of 1st grade, her math and reading weren't any more advanced that DS's were at that age. Her pouring and spongeing skills were excellent, though. :rolleyes:

Jackie

My "language arts curriculum" for DS for K and the first half of 1st grade consisted of plastic letters on the fridge, lots of books and read-alouds, and lots and lots of conversation. Our "math curriculum" consisted of plastic fridge numbers and small food items. "Science" was nature walks and field trips. He started private school half-way through 1st grade (January) and the teacher said he was actually ahead of most of the other kids in reading and math. In fact, she said his mental arithmetic was the best in the class, despite the fact that his "math curriculum" consisted of fridge magnets and cheerios.

DD, on the other hand, had 2 years of Montessori preschool, plus K & 1st grade, and at the end of 1st grade, her math and reading weren't any more advanced that DS's were at that age. Her pouring and spongeing skills were excellent, though. :rolleyes:

Jackie

I love it, yes, plenty of that is needed as well. But a workbook here and there won't hurt anything, if it makes you feel better. But don't forget the hands on! Send them out to play, plant a garden, etc. ;)

For my daughter, I used a reading program, RS Math, A Reason for Handwrting and she listened to the SL 1 books with her brother. It was a great year! I wish I had done the same for my son, but I tortured that poor boy with hours of unnecessary work since he was my oldest and I just didn't know any better.

Lisa

I have searched high and low and I can not find a KG curriculum that I like. I think I am going to use CLE for 1st grade, but their KG looks too easy for dd. I dont like the way MFW looks, Sonlight looks OK, but she already knows her letter sounds (we used 100 easy lessons) and the first grade looks too hard.

What is wrong with me? Am I too picky? I dont have time to piece together a whole curriculum. Any suggestions?

I agree that most of them are either too easy or too hard. I plan to use SL PK for Kindergarten. The science looks very good and we will concentrate on that. I think that McRuffy looks good for a whole package. I am still considering their math and reading. It is true that you don't need a K curriculum. :D

For Kindergarten I always use Five in a Row and do a little phonics, "something with numbers" and "something with letters" each day. "Something with..." means counting, saying the alphabet, identifying numbers or letters, skip-counting, etc.

It happened that when DD was three and four she wanted her own schoolwork to do so I printed out TONS of free worksheets from LearningPage.com (membership is free--we liked the themed "funsheets"). At some point I decided to look at the Saxon math placement test to figure out where she should be and decided to start her in Saxon 1 in Kindergarten. It was mainly to feed her desire to do schoolwork. If she didn't feel like doing anything, fine. If she wanted to do three lessons, fine. Math as a subject didn't become a requirement until first grade, but we always did "something with numbers."

I am a planner. I like to lay it all out so I know what to expect. So I would use the FIAR lesson plan chart in the back of the book to create a plan for each week. For each book/week we chose a couple of activities for each day, trying to do something from every subject (art, science, language, etc.)

Hi AprilMay!

I'm gonna hijack this thread for a sec to let you know that you don't have to "sign your name" each time you post. Go to your "User Control Panel" (top left of page) and edit your signature. Sign your name in that and it will automatically show up each time you post. And welcome to the boards! :D

Thank you EppieJ. I tried it. We'll see if it worked. Maybe I'll add more to it later....when I can think of something clever to add. :001_smile:

K curriculums are for people who think they have to "school" their children, IMO. We are using OPG for reading, manipulatives and counting games for math, and FLL because she WANTS to (has seen ds8 do it and has been learning right along with him). She listens in on science and history and plays with puzzles and toys while we do that stuff. She is a whipper-snapper. Nothing gets by her. I would never spend money on a K curriculum, personally.

K= 15min handwriting + 15min reading + 15min mathy play + LOTS of reading aloud (dc's choice...out of books that I pick out...you can use a curric for this, but I think it's a WASTE of $ and energy;)) + LOTS of FREE play (outside is ideal).

Keep it simple!:001_smile: Keep the 3R's short and sweet and consistant. Go to the zoo and the museums and the park as much as humanly possible.

I wouldn't even call myself a "relaxed" home schooler, but I see no need for a "K curriculum". I work with my kids wherever they are at that age on the basic "three Rs" skills. Kids aren't all at the same level at that age, so you just work a little every day at their level -- whether that's letter sounds or working in Phonics Pathways and Explode the Code or having them read aloud to you from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; whether it's practicing counting with manipulatives, or doing Horizons and Singapore 3; whether it's learning to print letters or doing copywork from favorite literature.

In addition to those basics, I'd add:

read-alouds from a variety of genres (picture books, classic children's literature, fairy tales, science books, picture biographies and histories)

poetry enjoyment and memorization

beginning grammar (First Language Lessons for those already reading)

And lots and lots of creative play, field trips, arts and crafts materials to explore, science activities (I love the Sonlight "Discover & Do" dvds along with their "non-consumable" kit and the grade-level kit to match the dvd), classical music CDs...

But a curriculum? Nah. It's just so hard to match up individual children to the skill levels of a single box at that age. A useful booklist might be nice (like the Sonlight K read-alouds list), and it's nice to have a math program (which might say "pre-K" or might say "3rd grade" depending on the child)... But generally? Cover the basics according to the level of the individual child, and add in lots of reading and exploration.

I am new to this myself but for next year for my K'er I am using OPGTR, Horizons K (I think), A bible program (with her sister), Fifty states under God for young learners (because he sister is doing it and she has to do what her sister does :) ).

to make my life easier (and it saves money), I virtually always buy 1st grade phonics (Alpha-Phonics, followed by Pathway Readers and A Beka math) and just do them at half-pace. Usually about midway thru the year, with little input from me, the child start doing full 1st grade pace.

I teach my children to read with 100 Easy Lessons before kindergarten - to me that takes all the "pressure" off for Kindergarten. If they know how to read, and read aloud for 5-10min daily with me along with some mild phonics and numbers, all is well.

I tell people who are all ready to put their Kers in the local school, "Kindergarten is a freebie". There's no law they have to be in school and as long as you are introducing phonics and numbers, they'll be ready for 1st grade. Of course my hope is that they will so enjoy their 5-6yo at home, they will never enroll them....

lisaj, mom to 5

You can do Sonlight Core K and a different language arts program. Not that it's necessary... ;)

You sound like I did at the beginning of this school year! DD was starting K and I'd researched, been to conventions, thought and thought and thought....and couldnt find a curriculum I liked. So I put together my own mix. We are using God & Me devotional for Bible. We are using Explode the Code for reading (we did books A and B in preschool, then did book C and Book 1 this year....and we're going through Book 2 now). We are using Horizons K for Math. Plus we are doing a mix of science, art, history, and sign language (not all at the same time. We usually choose one of those subjects per week to work on).

For my daughter's K year starting in the fall, we're doing OPGTR, Rightstart Level A, and Getty Dubay A for the stuff I actually bought. The rest will be lots of reading aloud and playing outside. I'm going to shoot for the Charlotte Mason recommendation of 4-6 hours outside per day April through October. We'll see how that pans out.

On a separate note, a mom in my HS group recommended www.homeschoolshare.com (this one is free) and www.enchantedlearning.com as good resources for things to do if you're looking for fun projects.

The Learning Box Preschool! The lessons themselves will be below her learning needs (letters, numbers, patterns, etc.), but the arts & crafts are AWESOME! You open the book to Day 1, find the ziploc that says Day 1, and go! Everything is included except crayons, scissors, and glue. If you need rice, it's included. Piece of white cardstock? It's in there! They do the cutest crafts. Almost every day includes cutting, glueing, coloring, etc. My kids can make anything out of paper thanks to this program!

I agree that most of them are either too easy or too hard. I plan to use SL PK for Kindergarten. The science looks very good and we will concentrate on that. I think that McRuffy looks good for a whole package. I am still considering their math and reading. It is true that you don't need a K curriculum. :D

We used P4/5 for K and it was a really great year! Still, you don't need it, but it added a little structure for me and a lot of fun books for my ds. It was light enough that we could really focus on the 3rs without overloading him for K. He still pulls those science books off the shelf daily.