Menu

Print knit pants--would your 13dd wear these?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57987?parentCategory=501908&feat=501908-tn&cat4=500266

My 13dd has a severe aversion to jeans or anything that doesn't feel like soft knit pants/sweats, etc. I think it is mostly sensory. I know she would LOVE these pants--in both colors but would other 13 year olds think she was wierd or stylish?

Dd already borders on not quite fitting in due to some LDs and other medical issues. I want her clothes to help her fit in (staying with modest things here) not stand out in the crowd.

She doesn't care what she looks like at this point but I want her to just blend in.

What do you think?

Dd says special needs are off limits. She could "wear a bunny suit" and if anyone poked fun they'd find themself on the recieving end of lots of indignation and disgust.

All the same, the pants are cute and girly (which my dd abhors right now). I could see most of the girls we're in church with wearing them. I do think attitude is more important than the clothes. If your dd wears them with some pride (not too much, because kids are fickled like that) then she should be fine.

I'm taking the risk of this being an unpopular decision, but I think the pants are too juvenile for a 13 year old girl who is trying to fit in with her peers. Ordinarily, I would say that if someone wanted to wear something that would make them stand out, throw caution to the wind and do what makes you happy, but you specifically said that fitting in was part of the goal here. If she was begging you to buy these pants for her, my answer would be different, but since she doesn't know these pants exist, I would personally keep it that way. ;)

Would she be able/willing to wear comfortable knit skirts? I think something like this would blend in much better.

That is fine. I wish I could find something like those in solid colors where we could ad some really cute tops.

The skorts are cute but we would want them knee length so I think they are too short. She does have some Old Navy knit pants we found at a thrift store she likes.

Summer is going to be hard as she is SO active, etc. Knit stuff just doesn't hold up like denim does. We did find 1 pair of jeans that are super soft that she has agreed to wear to 4H horseback riding. That is a place/activity where EVERYONE will be wearing jeans as long pants are required to ride and almost everyone rides Western.

On a positive, I did find some tie dye pants at Lands End that were on sale and not quite so young looking. She LOVES these (has 2 pair already) so I bought 3 more--2 with matching shirts. For $42 I got 14dd and dh a pair of croc type shoes, 13 dd 3 pairs of pants and 2 shirts. Not too bad.

I'm taking the risk of this being an unpopular decision, but I think the pants are too juvenile for a 13 year old girl who is trying to fit in with her peers. Ordinarily, I would say that if someone wanted to wear something that would make them stand out, throw caution to the wind and do what makes you happy, but you specifically said that fitting in was part of the goal here. If she was begging you to buy these pants for her, my answer would be different, but since she doesn't know these pants exist, I would personally keep it that way. ;)

Would she be able/willing to wear comfortable knit skirts? I think something like this would blend in much better.

:iagree:I agree with Annie, too.

I have this skirt from Old Navy, and it goes just past my knee (I'm 5'2"). They also have them in tall and petite. Plus, it's a roll over style waist band, so you can easily get another inch or two of length by just not rolling it up as much. It's seriously one of the most comfortable things I've ever worn.

I'm glad you were able to find jeans for riding!

Kids and I spent yesterday afternoon at the mall (I HATE the mall) shopping for clothes (I HATE shopping for clothes) for all dc. dd11: found what you seem to be looking for at Justice (which appears to be 'Limited Too' out of Chapter Something-or-Other. Solid color yoga pants, leggings.

And, yes, here in fairfax county, va, the pants you showed from LLBean would be fine -- there are ALOT of LLBean-y, Talbot's Kids, Eddie Bauer-types and we still see ALOT of pink and green and florals. But, that doesn't mean they would be 'in style' someplace else.

I would also second Old Navy for solids -- and Justice has a website:

www.shopjustice.com/girls-clothing/clothes/leggings

here is the website with the page of leggings.

HTH - Oh, and btw, when I was there yesterday, I saw so many PEACE signs, I thought I was back in the 60s!

I'd say they might be safe with a solid top and some funky accessories, if she can handle accessories.

Personally, I think the safER choice, socially speaking, would be yoga pants.

But I have 2 little girls who think life is going to be grand when they can wear "teenager clothes", and it turns my stomach, so I'd be thrilled if they asked for the pants you linked! ;)

How tall is she? Could she fit into petite misses sizes?

There is a lot of nice activewear out there for women that is very comfy--and trendy.

Unfortunately you won't find much in the price range of the pants you linked, but regularly going through clearance racks at Kohl's could pay off.

I don't think I would subject my daughter to those pants :P They almost hurt me eyes! :) The style isn't bad and even having a pattern wouldn't be bad....just that pattern is bad!

That said...I might raise my eyebrows if I saw those pants walking around however I am and have always been a "to each his own" person.

My grandmother wears gold lame (accent on the e) and I am seen with her in public when I visit so.... :)

That is fine. I wish I could find something like those in solid colors where we could ad some really cute tops.

Aren't these the same pants in solid colors? Beans usually makes everything it has in print in a solid version.

They do have the same name, BeanSport Boot-Cut Pants. Of course, ths solid ones aren't on sale. :glare:

My dd who hates stiff clothes likes sweat pants and hoodies or tees from American Eagle or Aeropostale. They're kind of yoga style cut. For summer they have the cut off sweat pants, that are shorts length.

:iagree: Yoga styles do sound like they'd fit the bill :)

I think they're cute. :)

Also... can I ask - why the focus on "fitting in"? See, what I'm thinking here... is that if she has good - true - friends, they won't give a fuzzy bunnies butt about how she dresses, because they'll love her for who she is... and if the people in her daily life are NOT like that - if they're people who would skip what might be a beautiful friendship simply because they didn't like the fact that your dd wasn't a carbon copy of them in style [and whatever else]...well, who wants friends like that anyway?

I have two who don't "fit" in the typical sense of the word. Our son has multiple disabilities - he's blind, autistic, and a "proportionate dwarf", among other things - and our daughter has some minor LD issues and is on the smaller size for her age [though not like our son].... and both have a select group of good/true friends who like & appreciate them exactly as they are.

As it happens, both dd13 and I wear dresses & skirts full time [something I changed to the other year and she changed to recently] -- and many/most of our friends don't. Does our clothing "fit in" with the current fashion trends? Nope. Does it matter? Nope. Our good friends like us anyway. :D

[all of it within the standards you've set for your home, of course - pertaining to modesty/etc]

and yes, if dd13 wore pants ~ she'd be all over those. She loves bright & colourful clothing! As a matter of fact, she'd love a skirt in that pattern.. wonder if I can find some material similar to that.......

Most of her friends are in public school and she said if you want to blend in, these pants are not going to help. She suggested pants in a solid color. But, she also said that none of her friends that are girls would make a big deal about them. She wasn't too sure about boys that age though.

Karen

I agree with this post.

I guess we will go yoga pants shopping. Seems like the 14 are almost too tight (the cut runs small) but junior sizes are too long as she is only 4'10".

We will also likely have to hit more stores other than the thrift stores and hand me down bags.

This was SO much easier when she was younger.

I guess we will go yoga pants shopping. Seems like the 14 are almost too tight (the cut runs small) but junior sizes are too long as she is only 4'10".

We may have similar size 13 year olds! :)

Our dd13 is 4'9" and weighs about 70-75lbs... she has trouble with clothing fits because the upper end kid sizes aren't cut for a starting-to-develop-body, yet the ladies sizes expect a taller individual/longer arms/etc...very frustrating at times.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57987?parentCategory=501908&feat=501908-tn&cat4=500266

My 13dd has a severe aversion to jeans or anything that doesn't feel like soft knit pants/sweats, etc. I think it is mostly sensory. I know she would LOVE these pants--in both colors but would other 13 year olds think she was wierd or stylish?

I just wanted to say thank you for the link. :) My dd will be 13 soon and has sensory issues, too. She's going to love these pants---I ordered both prints and hopefully they'll fit.

(Gave up on "blending in" a long time ago...I guess you could say we're at "if you've got it, flaunt it")

This child is going to drive me nuts over this. I found some of those stretch jeans with a softer waist, etc. but they are "scratchy" and she won't wear them. Even with fabric softener I doubt she would wear them and I don't want to spend money on stuff she won't wear.

Other than church clothes and stuff for 4H (where they need certain things for safety) I don't want to make clothing a hill to die on.

Thanks. I did order here some of these from the overstocks page. I just HATE the idea of paying $16-18 for a pair of knit pants that she is going to stain, put holes in, etc. very quickly. She is very hard on her clothing.

They are comfortable for her though and she does like this style.

I have to agree with PP- Annie. Those pants are too "young-looking." I would definitely look for yoga pants - they come in different lengths and are very comfortable. Or sweatsuits are popular now also in different lengths. Stores I would shop in for her would be Justice (can be expensive but can also have great sales - 40% off and chance to earn $$ towards future sales), Old Navy, and Target. Most of those places if you find something she will like you don't have to worry if she will fit in wearing them. Also they seem to have good quality clothing. Have you tried the "Stretch" jeans? They have a stretchiness to them that can be more comfortable. I know what you mean though as my 2 of my 3 girls prefer "soft pants" and rarely wear jeans also.

Hanna Andersson makes solid knit leggings that hold up really well.

I second Hanna Andersson! Love their stuff and it wears like iron.

Also, try American Eagle, Aeropostale and Hollister in the malls. She'll be fashionable, but their yoga pants/sweat pants are soft and comfy.

Diane