• Yes, I am a Christian
    • No, I am not a Christian
    • I have religious views OTHER that Christianity

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cindie2dds

Christian here, not the stereotypical home schooling type. Vegan, trying to live off the grid on our farm with a Prius and electric bicycle. I guess we are "crunchy Christians."

I personally believe that this forum will have more secular homeschoolers than a sampling of the general homeschooling population, because more Christians homeschool for religious reasons and are happy with "in a box" options like Abeka.

I don't know...I remember a time on this forum where it was unusual to not be a Christian. Very, very much so. I think, possibly within the past 2 years or so, that the dynamic has changed, but I still vote for primarily Christian. It'll be interesting to see.

I, too, don't understand the difference between options 2 and 3, one of which will be my vote. I can't vote Christian because I'm just not sure. Maybe I am? Maybe I'm not. What do I vote for that little conundrum? Is there one for "I really like theology so I am totally confused", lol?

Guest Cindie2dds
Does this mean you don't eat Krispy Kremes? (sorry, the alliteration was too good to pass up.) ;)

:lol:

Nope. But I do have a thing for Tim bits. :D

Guest Cindie2dds
Okay somebody please explain to me what "crunchy" mean. Sheesh. I'm so out of it. :(

Granola, hippie-ish, left-leaning ....

I found it difficult to vote, in the end I went for Christian.

I am Quaker. I believe in God and in Jesus as the Son of God. I do not believe that one has to be born again in Christ to be a Christian (big debate here I know, sorry). I know that many of my beliefs would not make me a Christian in some peoples eyes, but I thought about it and think that Christian is a follower of Christ (not of Paul, or the apostles, or the old testament prophets etc) so I answered Christian, a follower of Christ.

Guest Cindie2dds
:lol: Thanks. Is that granola eating or does granola mean something else like how crunchy does? Ay, I'm declaring my dorkiness more and more with each sentence. :blushing:

Yes, granola eating. I have a good recipe if you are interested. :)

I like Karen Armstrong's term, Freelance Monotheist. I think that's where I might land.

I'm also politically quite left leaning, have an urban permaculture garden where I grow a good deal of our food, and typically walk or bike more than I drive. Not quite off the grid, but moving in that direction.

I found it difficult to vote, in the end I went for Christian.

I am Quaker. I believe in God and in Jesus as the Son of God. I do not believe that one has to be born again in Christ to be a Christian (big debate here I know, sorry). I know that many of my beliefs would not make me a Christian in some peoples eyes, but I thought about it and think that Christian is a follower of Christ (not of Paul, or the apostles, or the old testament prophets etc) so I answered Christian, a follower of Christ.

Do Quakers not accept some books of the Bible that others include in the Bible Canon?

Guest Cindie2dds
hahahahahahaha :lol::lol::lol: sure! PM me though please so that I don't hijack this thread anymore. lol Thanks. :)

Pm'd you. It packs a lot of calories and keeps you very regular. Proceed with caution.

Part of why I home school is due to my religious beliefs.

...because more Christians homeschool for religious reasons and are happy with "in a box" options like Abeka.

Carmen, the last part of your quote made me giggle due to the fact that I have been/am a member of 2 separate home schooling groups, one which is predominantly Christian-the other is completely Christian based, and only 1 of the ladies out of both groups used "straight up" A Beka. She (the 1) has since changed and is very happy to have found life outside of the box, not that there is anything wrong with 'the box'. I have no doubt there are some that do use boxed and are completely content. There are days when, to me, 'the box' looks VERY appealing and simplified. Anyhow, the many Christian moms I know are very eclectic and aware of most of the curricula that is available. Quite a few of us are even confirmed curriculum junkies. :glare::D

I am going to guess that a decent sized portion of Christian Home Schoolers are not as 'boxed' as many would like to think.;) And sometimes they even buy and use Secular stuff...but...shhh...this must be kept vewy, vewy quiet!!:tongue_smilie:

Do Quakers not accept some books of the Bible that others include in the Bible Canon?

I don't know...it may be just me! Quakers believe we must make our own minds up! We can only speak for ourselves, so if, for example I think that something in the Bible doesn't work for me (think of some of the early rules in the OT for example) I don't go with what a church says on it, I pray and make my own mind up.

Quakers don't have clergy, people think we have abolished the clergy, but actually we have abolished the laity! We all have a relationship with God, so we might as well go direct to the source.

No Quaker would say what Quakers do or do not believe, we don't have a creed or a 'party line' A Quaker would pray, and wait on the Lord in silence until the matter became clear...for them. They may then share or not this leading according to how they felt led. This may take some time....

Another Quaker may disagree totally with this post and that would be OK too.

Willow.

I am going to guess that a decent sized portion of Christian Home Schoolers are not as 'boxed' as many would like to think.

I think this might be geographical too. When we hsed in suburbia in Colorado, I knew very few families who schooled out of a box.

When we moved to rural Virginia, I found that about half the hsers use ABeka or BJU. It was exciting to find someone using curriculum with which I was familiar, and the majority of those have just elementary students.

We have a lot of German Baptist families here (think "Anabaptists"), and it's interesting to me how many have chosen to use My Father's World (instead of going the ABeka route).

I didn't answer the poll. I'm not sure why it bothers me so, but it makes me feel like the "Race" box. (Maybe it's because this list can get divisive over beliefs, the secular hsers can feel it's "too Christian," and the Christian hsers can feel it's "too secular.") Just as it's obvious that I am Christian, it's obvious I'm white--but I check "Other" for my race and write "Human" in the blank.

:)

Why are there three options? Can it be changed to have simply Christian or non-Christian? (Or did you mean Christian, other religion and not religious?)

I found Lovedtodeath's hypothesis interesting because I would have guessed the opposite. The reason? Because of the parents I have met, Christians have tended to be more drawn to a highly structured model of homeschooling, whereas many non Christians have been attracted to the more free-flowing styles of unschooling and relaxed eclectic.

I wish there was an option for Christian but not fundamentalist.

We are Christian but we homeschool for Secular reasons and tend to choose secular materials, especially when Science and History are involved.

I agree with this. I'm Christian but definitely one of the more Liberal, relaxed denominations (UMC). I don't believe there is only one path to God.

On a lot of other boards/forums I belong to, by saying you are Christian you basically are saying you're a fundamentalist homeschooling for religious reasons and to teach your children a young earth viewpoint. I am definitely a secular homeschooler.

Unfortunately there is a definite perception if you say you homeschool and are Christian. This isn't a division I like or subscribe to (and I'm sure the Catholics don't appreciate being told they're not Christians) but it definitely exists. Even though IRL I consider myself a Christian, in the online homeschooling communities I don't want to be associated with the ideas that saying you are a Christian is usually associated with (young earth, only one path, extremely Evangelical/Fundamentalist). I have noticed these kinds of divisions less on this board than on some of the others I view, which is probably why I'm more active here than most others. ;)

Unfortunately there is a definite perception if you say you homeschool and are Christian. This isn't a division I like or subscribe to (and I'm sure the Catholics don't appreciate being told they're not Christians) but it definitely exists. Even though IRL I consider myself a Christian, in the online homeschooling communities I don't want to be associated with the ideas that saying you are a Christian is usually associated with (young earth, only one path, extremely Evangelical/Fundamentalist). I have noticed these kinds of divisions less on this board than on some of the others I view, which is probably why I'm more active here than most others. ;)

But why even qualify a response for a poll? It seems to me that it's an attempt to stir the pot. I mean, as Christians aren't we all "brothers and sisters?" If so, then why bash a sibling? Imo, saying something like "I'm a Christian, but not one of those fundamentalists/Bible thumpers/Evangelicals/conservatives" is just a back-handed way of bashing those Christians, in which case, you're (not YOU/you, gen. you) bashing a fellow Christian. Why? Why use a poll to bash people that are part of the same body?

I don't know...it may be just me! Quakers believe we must make our own minds up! We can only speak for ourselves, so if, for example I think that something in the Bible doesn't work for me (think of some of the early rules in the OT for example) I don't go with what a church says on it, I pray and make my own mind up.

Quakers don't have clergy, people think we have abolished the clergy, but actually we have abolished the laity! We all have a relationship with God, so we might as well go direct to the source.

No Quaker would say what Quakers do or do not believe, we don't have a creed or a 'party line' A Quaker would pray, and wait on the Lord in silence until the matter became clear...for them. They may then share or not this leading according to how they felt led. This may take some time....

Another Quaker may disagree totally with this post and that would be OK too.

Willow.

I'm going to have to learn more about the Quakers. Your description sounds fascinating in an intellectual way.

Yes I am a Christian.

To be specific I am a Roman Catholic.

The origin of my family is from Ireland.

Hey, Cuz!

Welcome to the forum.

How does a Catholic answer...since I am such, and think here and most places Christian seems to mean Protestant... which a Catholic isn't, ah, I will just click "other" and be done with it.

I probably skewed the poll because 1) I refuse to deny my Christianity and 2) I voted very early and did not realize that the poll was meant for Protestants and everyone else.

To me it is pretty simple. Either a person believes in Jesus and is Christian or they don't and aren't. It does not matter which denomination the Christian belongs to.