1. 1. Are you a Christian?

• Yes, I am a Christian
    • No, I am not a Christian
    • I have religious views OTHER that Christianity

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the idea behind it, but I would be surprised if a Christian would accuse a Muslim (for instance) of being athiest. Is this why you qualified your post earlier (I'm a Christian, even if other Christians don't think so)?

I've heard some Christians say Allah is a false God. In fact, I've seen tracts that claim that. So I suppose if a person is of the opinion that anyone who doesn't accept the one True God (Christian) is an atheist, they might think Muslims fall in that category. But then they might need to include Jews since they don't believe Jesus is God? No, I don't think even the most narrow Christians would want to go there.

In private I identify myself as Christian. In public, I rarely do anymore because I understand that my beliefs about God and Jesus could very well offend other Christians. There's a part of me that says I can call myself whatever I want. Then there's this other part, which understands Christians pretty well, and that part doesn't want to cause them offense. Anyway, yes, that's why I qualified my statement.

Seriously? What are all of these "versions" of Christianity? I'm talking about people believing they are Christians who do not meet God's OWN standards for what that is, not denominational differences or how often people pray. People who think the Bible is just a neat book and so don't have an acutal biblical view of salvation--it's a salvation they've created for themselves. And the list goes on. There have been plenty of professional polls, by Barna and the like, where it's obvious that there are people who think they are Christians and yet believe contrary to what God Himself says about being a believer.

My point was that it's IMPOSSIBLE to know, in general and from the comments and conversations with many of the people here, if anyone truly is a Christian, but that it's a certainty that the poll will not represent true Christianity. God knows who belongs to Him, so the poll is kind of pointless anyhow. I'm sorry if the concept of people understanding salvation *incorrectly* is so offensive, but I happen to think that there are some foundational principles to the faith that are non-negotiable, given by Jesus Himself, and the world today doesn't like that. No one likes to be told that their *version* of truth may not be right. But that doesn't change the definition of truth.

Nah, we're just really loud.
I've often wondered if INTP's tend more towards atheism than do those in other Myers Briggs categories. INTP's have a compelling need to dig down to get to the core of the situation (albeit in a roundabout way, and it might not be the "core" that everyone else sees because so many things are integrated and it's often impossible to deal with a neat, discrete package :tongue_smilie:), and little patience for emotionally tinged rhetoric.

I've often wondered if INTP's tend more towards atheism than do those in other Myers Briggs categories. INTP's have a compelling need to dig down to get to the core of the situation (albeit in a roundabout way, and it might not be the "core" that everyone else sees because so many things are integrated and it's often impossible to deal with a neat, discrete package :tongue_smilie:), and little patience for emotionally tinged rhetoric.

I personally believe it's the "NT" part that leads to secularism (whether the person is an atheist, deist, or agnostic). NT's are known as "rationals" in David Keirsey's work:

"As the knowledge-seeking temperament, Rationals trust reason implicitly. They rely on objective observations and factual analysis in any given situation. They seek a logical argument as a basis for action....Subjective thoughts and emotion have no place in the decision-making process of a Rational....Rationals are pragmatic about the world around them, having little use for convention or sentiment except as a means to an end. They weigh logical outcomes before acting, looking for errors in reasoning—in themselves and others. They believe that concepts like good and bad are relative, depending on point of view."

Not the type of personality that's going to have an easy time accepting things on faith ;)

I remember reading once that the most common temperament for clergy is NF, the "idealists" in Keirsey's work:

"As the identity-seeking temperament, Idealists long for meaningful communication and relationships. They search for profound truths hidden beneath the surface, often expressing themselves in metaphor. Focused on the future, they are enthusiastic about possibilities, and they continually strive for self-renewal....The lives of Idealists are guided by their devotion to their personal ethics. They are altruistic, taking satisfaction in the well-being of others. They believe in the basic goodness of the world and of the people in it. They take a holistic view toward suffering and misfortune, regarding them as part of a larger, unknowable truth, a mystical cause-and-effect. With an eye toward the future, they view life as a journey toward a deeper spiritual knowledge."

I think I'm INTJ.

So maybe it is the "NT" bit.

I am always INT but the P and J switch around on multiple takes. I am not an athiest. My choice of religion seems to still fit that NT bit, as I have seen at least one critic of Jehovah's Witnesses (my religion) say that we think our explanations about God and the Bible have to make sense, and that is where we are in error...

Its a strange poll- both the 2nd options will apply to many of us.

I am not Christian yet my spiritual views shape my whole life deeply, the same as any Christan's do. Yes I do not consider myself "religious" because I don't subscirbe to any particular religion.

I am a Christian and I love the fact that I can teach my children my beliefs while homeschooling, but is was not the deciding factor in homeschooling. I have 2 that are ADHD and the PS was not helping my girls at all. Our school system was just not equipped to deal with the challenges that went along with my youngest, so we brought her and her sister home. It is amazing at the changes in them both!!! The trips were not school age yet, but we went ahead and started them at an appropriate level and everyones's day was uniform.

INTJ. Interesting. It would be very easy for me to slide into agnosticism (somedays I think I'm there) and from there to slide into atheism. I hang on to the idea of a 'God' fiercely, almost like it's a battle, because I know it would be easy for me to let it go. I will not give it up, I'm stubborn. Sort of my mantra to keep myself convinced.

INTJ. Interesting. It would be very easy for me to slide into agnosticism (somedays I think I'm there) and from there to slide into atheism. I hang on to the idea of a 'God' fiercely, almost like it's a battle, because I know it would be easy for me to let it go. I will not give it up, I'm stubborn. Sort of my mantra to keep myself convinced.

It might help if, instead of thinking that you are the one hanging on, you imagine that it is God who is hanging on to you.

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

Gotta love the BYU choir. Beautiful.

Take care.

I've heard some Christians say Allah is a false God. In fact, I've seen tracts that claim that. So I suppose if a person is of the opinion that anyone who doesn't accept the one True God (Christian) is an atheist, they might think Muslims fall in that category. But then they might need to include Jews since they don't believe Jesus is God? No, I don't think even the most narrow Christians would want to go there.

In private I identify myself as Christian. In public, I rarely do anymore because I understand that my beliefs about God and Jesus could very well offend other Christians. There's a part of me that says I can call myself whatever I want. Then there's this other part, which understands Christians pretty well, and that part doesn't want to cause them offense. Anyway, yes, that's why I qualified my statement.

That's how I can see the idea behind not being a Christian equals being an athiest, but again, I can't imagine a Christian actually saying that to another Christian.

The Israelites are God's chosen people, I think most Christians hold them to a different... not set of standards, but I can't think of how to put it :p

Well, I'm not sure what to say about the last bit. Thank you for answering my question though :D

The purpose of the poll was to see how many on the forums self-identify as Christian and how many don't. That is very simple and needn't involve discussions as to whether people are practicing True Christianity or not.

:iagree:

INTJ Christian (although my views are not mainstream). We do not homeschool for religious reasons.

I wonder how many homeschoolers are INTJ....

I believe it's been done and manymanymany of the hivers were INTJ...

Cultural or Born again? Funny, by the definition being a "Christian" means being born again. However, I will not get on my soapbox & how split hairs on the word "Christian" and self-define it instead biblically defining the word from its source ---"The Bible".

By the way, what is a "cultural" christian anyway? I never heard of such.

By the way, what is a "cultural" christian anyway? I never heard of such.

I don't identify as a Christian, but am a "cultural Christian" in many ways, due to my upbringing and the society I live in. This is a predominantly Christian country, so we celebrate Christmas as a cultural event rather than a religious event. That sort of stuff.

Rosie

ENTJ non-supernaturalist.

Bill

I'm also an ENTJ...although sometimes I test as an ENTP, it depends on how judgy I'm feeling on a given day. ;) I *do* think there are a disproportionate number of NTs on this board, and think they are probably drawn to classical homeschooling.

I don't identify as a Christian, but am a "cultural Christian" in many ways, due to my upbringing and the society I live in. This is a predominantly Christian country, so we celebrate Christmas as a cultural event rather than a religious event. That sort of stuff.

Rosie

Interesting! I'd never heard of a "cultural Christian" either, thanks for explaining, that makes a lot of sense :D