Menu

Spinoff: How often do you wash your kids?

How often do your kids bathe (generally)?  

1. 1. How often do your kids bathe (generally)?

• At least once a day
    • Every few days
    • Once a week
    • Every other week
    • Only when they REALLY need it
    • Other

I am totally freaked out. I can't believe how not often people wash their kids. Twice a week is scary to me but I understand it. Once a week and I wouldn't want to be around them. Every other week? Someone must be joking.

As far as I am concerned once they can shower on their own they should be in there almost every day!!

This is written kind of tongue-in-cheek, incredulous, funny. I really am not judgemental about this, but I am terribly surprised!

I am totally freaked out. I can't believe how not often people wash their kids. Twice a week is scary to me but I understand it. Once a week and I wouldn't want to be around them. Every other week? Someone must be joking.

As far as I am concerned once they can shower on their own they should be in there almost every day!!

This is written kind of tongue-in-cheek, incredulous, funny. I really am not judgemental about this, but I am terribly surprised!

Really? We aim for every few days, but depending on circumstances, we can go as long as a week (longer than that happens, but is rare). They're little kids (at least, mine are), so how stinky could they really get? In the winter, at least. I have never smelled any kind of BO off them, with the exception of the diaper heiny smell, but we're out of diapers now, for the most part. And even with infrequent bathing, my 5 y.o. has such dry skin. I can't imagine making her bathe everyday anymore. Really, it's probably only been in the past 50 years or so that even adults started bathing every day, right?

The 11 and 13 yo girls shower daily, occasionally skipping a day, but not often. The 9yo boy takes a bath every other night, the 4yo boy and 2 yo girl usually take their baths on the night the 9yo isn't. In the summer the three youngest are bathing every day.

So put me down for daily/every other day and mostly daily?! :)

Ewwww!!

(That's a nasty smell. Might surpass Lost Sippy Cup in the Car, even.)

LOL! Mine were never that bad, actually--maybe it's because we used cloth diapers and wipes? I don't know. My mom was much more sensitive to it. She'd come over the day after I gave the baby/toddler a bath, and change her clothes, and come to me and say, "Her bottom is very smelly--when was the last time you bathed her?" I always wanted to ask her what HER tush would smell like after 24 hours encased in a diaper! When they were in diapers, they got baths every other day, generally.

I guess it would depend on where you live. Here in Florida, my kids are outside at least a couple of hours every day all year long. It is hot! They are usually playing in the dirt or the sand or the river. They are very dirty and honestly, usually smelly. Most days, they all have to shower or bathe before dinner.

I guess it would depend on where you live. Here in Florida, my kids are outside at least a couple of hours every day all year long. It is hot! They are usually playing in the dirt or the sand or the river. They are very dirty and honestly, usually smelly. Most days, they all have to shower or bathe before dinner.

Yes, good point. We're in NJ, so not too hot with the exception of a few months out of the year. And my big kid is not that physical, though the little one is turning out to be.

My daughter also has very dry skin. A bath everyday would be terrible for her skin. Now we're at 2-3X a week or if she is especially dirty; it used to be once a week. When she was toddler, she would never do anything messy or dirty so it usually worked out just fine.

... the kids help me with the stall mucking and manure spreading every day. Showers for all immediately after. ;) Fun PE program, eh?

They may need another shower in the evening if we go out and groom/ride in the afternoons. The art of horse grooming consists of getting every speck of dirt off the horse and onto oneself. sigh.

Ewwww!!

(That's a nasty smell. Might surpass Lost Sippy Cup in the Car, even.)

We have a friend that left raw chicken in his van over the weekend on a hot summer day. I think there's still a faint smell, at least the last time they were talking about it there was.

:eek:

Kristine

We do Wednesdays and Saturdays here. In the winter when they aren't as active it is sometimes once a week, like I missed this Saturday because they aren't in swim lessons right now (which is on Saturday) and we were extra busy. In the Summers, when they are playing outside more, it is often more.

Still trying to figure out what to vote, LOL!

Heather

Daily baths for all of us! First, it eliminates the chance of a stinky ds getting past me ;). Second, it's just a great way of relaxing at the end of the day.

FWIW, I always put a bit of lavender oil in ds's bath water, which helps to unwind him from his day, and follow that by helping him with some aloe based body lotion afterward. In the winter, we get dry skin easily.

... that with the frequent showering, we did at least install water saving shower heads. We have the water on to get wet and/or rinse off, and turn it off to a trickle while soaping up. It has made a difference in not only how much water we use, but also ensures hot water. 5 showers 1-2X/day would use up all our hot water very quickly otherwise. :eek: The last person to shower would have a pretty miserable time unless we waited forever for the water to heat back up. Simply don't have time for that! We also try to keep our showers fairly short.

Every. Single. Day. I bet I can count on two hands the times my almost 8 year old has gone to bed without a bath since he was born. And if we go to town mid day and he has been outside getting all sweaty...he might get two baths that day.

I might be different if I had a bunch of kids instead of an only. But I doubt it.

As my kids get older, they need bathing much more often. My 11 yo really needs to wash his hair every day or he smells. The 10 yo and 7 yo can go every three days unless they've had a sport that day. Definately every Sat night before church though.

During the summer it's basically every night as we have baseball and the kids get really filthy!!

The baby gets a shower with me a few times a week.

Every. Single. Day. I bet I can count on two hands the times my almost 8 year old has gone to bed without a bath since he was born. And if we go to town mid day and he has been outside getting all sweaty...he might get two baths that day.

I might be different if I had a bunch of kids instead of an only. But I doubt it.

It might change if you had more kids and lived in a dry climate. I could see having to bathe my boys more often (maybe even every day :eek:) if I was raising them in Memphis.

But we live in a dry climate, so it's usually only need 3X/week (always on Sunday). And of 1 takes a shower/bath, they all want a shower/bath, so it's a 25-45 minute chunk of time out of the day.

My kids shower or bathe every few days. My dd is 8, so I imagine we will need to step it up soon. Right now, she must shower after gymnastics on Wednesdays and Sundays. She usually showers on Fridays too. Everytime she showers, she washes her hair. DD has *very* dry skin, so we don't want her showering too often. DS is 5. He showers or baths after sports on Saturdays and he'll go in on Wed and Sundays too. His hair is buzzed, so we only wash his hair maybe 1x/week.

Ack! What a question. If my mil is reading this then the answer is 'of course every day.. at least!'. For everyone else, it's as needed. My 13yo dd showers on her own schedule... what I need to watch with her is the time IN the shower... she'll take an hour (easy) if I'm not on top of her! ug. My ds (ages 11 and 8) only seem to think of a shower when they are reminded to take one (2x per week?). The baby (age 3) gets a bath as needed or as time permits.

My kids are tiny when they start daily bathing--we take them into the shower by the time they're a week old or so! Seriously, I just like for it to be a habit early in life--no big deal, no fussing or complaining--you just take a shower before bed, brush and floss your teeth, whatever else you need to do to take care of yourself, quickly and efficiently. I like for them to get used to the shower early so that they don't think they have to have a tub bath when we're traveling and stuff. Now that the older 2 are so active, I'm so thankful that I don't have to fight them on this!

It might change if you had more kids and lived in a dry climate. I could see having to bathe my boys more often (maybe even every day :eek:) if I was raising them in Memphis.

But we live in a dry climate, so it's usually only need 3X/week (always on Sunday). And of 1 takes a shower/bath, they all want a shower/bath, so it's a 25-45 minute chunk of time out of the day.

You know this is probably true. Growing up in Arkansas, all I know is the sweaty humid climate. My step-dad lived in WA State for years and could not bathe daily because it was murder on his skin. Since he has been in AR though he is a reformed daily bather. :)

...terribly surprised. If we lived in a place where water usage was an issue, or the dc had skin problems, I could do it, but I would not be happy.

It depends on the season and the age. In the summer they are in the pool daily, so once or twice a week I make them soap up in our outside shower. In the winter my girls have really dry skin, so I have to be careful, I would say, maybe twice a week. My ds is just getting to the age where he stinks. Right now he's fine with showering every other day, but I can tell that soon it will have to be daily!

HTH

Melissa

My kids do every other day, and occasionally they'll go an extra day between baths...unless they are really dirty or smelly, or we have somewhere to go where they need to look nice.

Every day dries their skin out...both of them have had bouts of eczema, especially the oldest, and it is mostly under control now so I don't want to do anything that could bring it back!