Menu

Do you ever feel like a homeschooling outsider?

I don't feel like I fit the typical mold (maybe stereotypical mold) of a homeschooling mom, and I'm often feeling left out. Or maybe weird. Are there others like me out there?

I am happy with my curriculum choices so I don't have long, drawn out curriculum discussions at homeschool events. My kids are thriving in school and outside activities so I don't compare and contrast what they are doing with the other moms. I drive a red sports car (except when I take all the kids with me, then we take the minivan). I wear skinny jeans, high heels, and have my nails and hair done often. We go to rock concerts and sporting events, and we love beaches and vacations. I enjoy discussing sports, good music, movies and television.

Most of the homeschooling moms I know are not into these things and treat me like I'm odd for not knowing about the latest homeschooling theory book. I'm trying to study up on these things so I have more in common with them, but it's kind of killing me slowly and painfully! :lol: I wanna be me, lol. And I want friends too! Ideas to help me are appreciated. ;)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are usually my least favorite group of people.

I take offense! :glare:

:tongue_smilie:

Be yourself! I do have to ask though....how do you wear heels while chasing a one year old? Oh, and I'm looking a nice pair of skinnies. What do you have? Any fave brand?

My idea would be for you to try to find friends who have more in common with you. You don't HAVE to have close homeschooling friends. I don't have much in common with most homeschoolers either, they are usually my least favorite group of people. ;)

I'll be homeschooling my pitas next year and my pitad the year after; they're currently both enrolled in Montessori that will end for my pitas this year. I'm getting the distinct feeling that I'm going to be an outsider. This is fine, but I am concerned about having my children involved in like-minded groups. We have some resource that I've been able to identify, but I feel it's going to be hard in some cases.

For one, I'll be raising them secular, while incorporating some Eastern meditative techniques for personal and intellectual development. Second, I'm a guy. I have an assumption that immediately casts me as an outsider. Heck, we'll probably end up doing lessons on the ski lift during the winter.

Any secular, Eastern philosophy studying guys out there who have some experiences to share...not too many I bet? Any other ideas on group development? Oh yeah, and I'm leaning toward an eclectic unschooling paradigm...whatever that means.

Edited by spradlin02

Short answer: Yes.

I have a few HSing girlfriends who just rock, but they live in other states. That's okay. My close friends don't have to be other HSers. I can participate in curriculum discussions and such (even if they aren't my favorite topics) and I do so in the interest of making pleasant conversation and networking.

There is a small yahoo group for Buddhist homeschoolers, but it's really tiny.

The best I could tell you is to try to find an already existing 'inclusive' group, but they tend to be mostly xians who want to discuss xian related things that just don't interest me or just plain offend me (politics).

You could put out feelers though, try setting up a meetup at that website (is it meetup.com?) for people who practice meditation or people interested in Eastern philosophy or pick some other subject. You could plan a meetup for group meditation or something, and see if you get any hits.

Good luck with that. :)

I quite often feel like an outsider.

I'm English, living in a rural part of Florida

I'm an atheist.

I have only one child.

I have lived with my partner for 10 years and we have no plans for getting married.

Do I let it bother me? Heck no. If you don't like me for what I am, then tough luck on your part. I will not change who I am or what I do, just so that I can hang out with homeschoolers.

You know, that didn't even register on my radar. :tongue_smilie:

I read that post and instantly an image of a flatbread (a pita) flashed into my mind. I have no idea what that abbreviation means. If it means what was suggested, that is very sad to read as a descriptor for ones children.

You know, that didn't even register on my radar. :tongue_smilie:

I mean I suppose it could. There are enough labels and diagnosis and stuff out there that once you shorten them down, there are a lot of possible dual meanings I guess.

I just wondered if I was missing something.

It just seemed funny coming right on the heels of the other troll thread.

Edited by Renthead Mommy

I read that post and instantly an image of a flatbread (a pita) flashed into my mind. I have no idea what that abbreviation means. If it means what was suggested, that is very sad to read as a descriptor for ones children.

I think it is safe to say he was joking. Perhaps he will feel like an outsider because he does not worship his children or elevate his children to the level of Sainthood, as many, many homeschool parents do.

Does pitas and pitad mean something other than pain in the ass son or daughter?

I love both my children dearly and look forward to the opportunity of spending the next several years with them, but they can just suck sometimes...as can I. I'm hoping we can teach each other respect, patience and love. I may refer to myself as pitap.

I love both my children dearly and look forward to the opportunity of spending the next several years with them, but they can just suck sometimes...as can I. I'm hoping we can teach each other respect, patience and love. I may refer to myself as pitap.

Got it. That was the first thing I thought of, so I wondered if I was missing something.

I don't fit in with the home school moms. I do try for my kids sake. These mom even pick there high schoolers friends, so I put on my small town home school mom persona so my kids will get to have friends.

Lets see my kids play video games

my son has long hair

I wear 3 inch heels in public

I don't think it's a sin for black and whites to marry and it wouldn't bother me if my sons married black, asian, what ever (I actually called one of the moms a raciest over this a couple of week ago)

I let my 16 year old go bowling, movies, etc without supervision. The homeschool moms in this area keep their kids babies forever

I drive to the big city by myself. My 16 year drives in the big city.

I will walk the track at night by myself.

I will drive 4 hours to the beach without my dh.

My dh does not give me an allowance

The home school mom in my area are very old fashion. I just don't fit in. There are a few that accept my kids. They are a little bit more open minded but the rest think I am just crazy.

These ladies are nice and I respect their decisions but I couldn't live like they do

It funny when I tell them I am going so and so and they say well my dh wouldn't let me do that. I just look at them like, you have got to be kidding!

Any secular, Eastern philosophy studying guys out there who have some experiences to share...not too many I bet?

:thumbup1:

I don't know about experiences...my son is only 6. But I plan on making sure his religious education is as diverse as possible. I really dig Taoism and Zen, myself. When I am at work, I have a copy of the Tao te Ching with me in case I get stressed. It's like having Yoda always available to give you cryptic advice. :lol:

Yes. Trying to fit in with local homeschoolers meant not being authentic. It didn't work very well and made me feel miserable. Right now I do not have any homeschooling friends. It used to bother me, but I decided I'd rather have a true friendship rather than one based only on homeschooling. The hardest part is my children. My girls have some friends from a local homeschooling group (I am not active in it). I can see issues arising over religion irregardless of how much I try to avoid it. So I try to find other outlets for them that are not connected with homeschooling groups. The only inclusive group I know of didn't stay that way very long.

I don't have a good answer. I know there are other homeschoolers like you. The problem is finding them.

I don't fit in with the home school moms. I do try for my kids sake. These mom even pick there high schoolers friends, so I put on my small town home school mom persona so my kids will get to have friends.

Lets see my kids play video games

my son has long hair

I wear 3 inch heels in public

I don't think it's a sin for black and whites to marry and it wouldn't bother me if my sons married black, asian, what ever (I actually called one of the moms a raciest over this a couple of week ago)

I let my 16 year old go bowling, movies, etc without supervision. The homeschool moms in this area keep their kids babies forever

I drive to the big city by myself. My 16 year drives in the big city.

I will walk the track at night by myself.

I will drive 4 hours to the beach without my dh.

My dh does not give me an allowance

The home school mom in my area are very old fashion. I just don't fit in. There are a few that accept my kids. They are a little bit more open minded but the rest think I am just crazy.

These ladies are nice and I respect their decisions but I couldn't live like they do

It funny when I tell them I am going so and so and they say well my dh wouldn't let me do that. I just look at them like, you have got to be kidding!

More or less sums it up. I remember the time the homeschoolers were planning an out of town field trip. They wanted to make sure I had my dh's permission. In almost 25 years of marriage, I don't remember ever asking for his permission.

Of course I was joking.

And I can't wait for the day I'm mopping the floors and my wife is bringing home the doughnuts. I've been lobbying six years for this opportunity, so when I refer to my children in a certain way it's as much a WTM forum "humor-meter", as it is to remind myself that this undertaking, while serious, should be endeavored into with joy and hope. Recently, in my parsing through mountains of information, I began to see how easy it might be to lose the sight of my reasons for doing this; the joy.

Edited by spradlin02

More or less sums it up. I remember the time the homeschoolers were planning an out of town field trip. They wanted to make sure I had my dh's permission. In almost 25 years of marriage, I don't remember ever asking for his permission.

I hope my wife doesn't crack the whip on me.

I have to get back to work. I have to remember that for the next few months at least, I'm still making the doughnuts for this family.

I think this thread has let a few of us realize that we are not quite as alone as we thought we were! I am digging a lot of the comment on this thread. Thanks for starting it!

My homeschool group is about 99% conservative Christian. I don't have any problems there though, because the group itself was set up with no religious requirements and they are pretty laid back. We have one Muslim family....and of course I get along with them better than the others. Most likely because we feel like the outsiders for our various reasons (I'm a secular, homeschooling guy...they are progressive muslims).

Homeschoolers come in all stripes. :)

I don't feel like I fit the typical mold (maybe stereotypical mold) of a homeschooling mom, and I'm often feeling left out. Or maybe weird. Are there others like me out there?

I am happy with my curriculum choices so I don't have long, drawn out curriculum discussions at homeschool events. My kids are thriving in school and outside activities so I don't compare and contrast what they are doing with the other moms. I drive a red sports car (except when I take all the kids with me, then we take the minivan). I wear skinny jeans, high heels, and have my nails and hair done often. We go to rock concerts and sporting events, and we love beaches and vacations. I enjoy discussing sports, good music, movies and television.

Most of the homeschooling moms I know are not into these things and treat me like I'm odd for not knowing about the latest homeschooling theory book. I'm trying to study up on these things so I have more in common with them, but it's kind of killing me slowly and painfully! :lol: I wanna be me, lol. And I want friends too! Ideas to help me are appreciated. ;)

You and I could be great friends! :D

I definitely don't fit the mold of homeschooling mom..per a neighbor recently.

I drive and M-3 Convertible, we play video games, listen to our music somewhat loudly, love sports, enjoy a good movie and TV..yes everyday without fail. I love my curriculum and I don't discuss anything with anyone, but my hubby.

I think there are more of us than we think. I'm far more rigorous than many of the other home school moms that I know.

I think you all should come out to CA. I can't imagine ANY of my home school friends asking their husbands for permission before heading off to the beach.

I think we must be more "liberal" out here. :D

:thumbup1:

I don't know about experiences...my son is only 6. But I plan on making sure his religious education is as diverse as possible. I really dig Taoism and Zen, myself. When I am at work, I have a copy of the Tao te Ching with me in case I get stressed. It's like having Yoda always available to give you cryptic advice. :lol:

We do go to church occasionally. After one particular visit to Sunday school, my DS said to me that we believe in Jesus, and we're right, right? So now I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate the diversity of religious studies into our day while avoiding making it simply an academic study. I have a certain illusion that they will be on board with morning mediation before we begin our day - but I'm certainly not going to force it on them, so I'll have to adjust if one attaches to a different philosophical or religious believe. I'm going to have to be very aware of their feelings with respect to this.

I wish we had more diversity in our area, but unfortunately, it's a wonderbread world around here.

Edited by spradlin02

:D

I know how people outside of homeschooling view homeschoolers. They tend to think they are all the same, all trying to shelter their kids.

But every homeschooler I meet is different. They have all had different perspectives, use different materials, and approach teaching in different ways.

And if you lived near me, I love all types of music (classical, jazz, pop, etc...), sports, and good books. I haven't been to a rock concert in years, but I've been busy with the kids. I don't wear skinny jeans, they wouldn't look good on me. And I've never been good with my nails. I did start painting my toenails last year. :001_smile: I wouldn't mind owning a little red sports car, but right now we have a big red truck instead (plus the mini-van).

For one, I'll be raising them secular, while incorporating some Eastern meditative techniques for personal and intellectual development. Second, I'm a guy. I have an assumption that immediately casts me as an outsider. Heck, we'll probably end up doing lessons on the ski lift during the winter.

If you're anywhere near Vancouver, you'd find many like minded folks. Possible on the ski lift with you.

Homeschoolers are an interesting breed . . . and it took me a few years to realize that I probably wouldn't find my near & dears in the hs'ing community . . . unless I wanted to conform with one extreme or the other . . . seriously strict or seriously granola. I didn't fit in either category, so I took a nice long break from hs'ing groups.

I decided that hs'ing wasn't a prerequisite for finding and making friends.

I would look for people that you like, and if they happen to hs, that's just a bonus!

Warmly, T

Your not alone, and it is nice to know I'm not alone either. I wore heels and skinnies even while pregnant.:001_smile: My husband and close friends of ours are musicians so music and concerts is a huge part of our life. I live in a smallish city that doesn't really have a solid homeschooling group. The one we have that meets occasionally is very Christian based with close church connections. I often feel that my secular teachings cause me to be an outsider because of this. On the other hand I don't have any plans to change anything I do to better fit in. Things would probably be easier if I lived in a larger city, that has more activities and opportunities for homeschool families. Until then though, I'll just try to be content with what we are doing and how I am.

Sometimes.

It's not really that I am that different as we have a wide range of fashion, parenting values, etc in our group and i'm probably middle of the road but somehow I don't quite fit in.

I'm conservative Christian but married to an Agnostic. I'm a redhead -there's nothing gentle or meek about me. I'm a former Marine and get along better with men more than women though I try not to talk to anyone's husband more than a few minutes. I like football, fencing, adventure sports. I dress up for Renaissance Faires. I wear combat boots. I let my kids read Harry Potter. I don't use anything by Abeka or Bob Jones anything. We don't do a lot of grandiose projects. I don't sew or knit or quilt (though I wish I could). I don't bake my own bread but I can coupon better than most. If you're sick, don't expect a meal from me (not because I don't care but just not confident enough in my cooking to share), but I will come get your kids, clean your house, run your errands, etc. My kids actually made their own cars in the Pinewood Derby and I'm not impressed when a 3 yo wins "Best craftsmanship" over the the kids that actually did their own. Everyone thought it odd that I didn't want a completed the grade year certificate for my kids last year. I don't keep certificates and things anyway.

I do love to talk about curriculum and kids activities because I am always looking in case something good is out there but most people here seem to not want to talk about it. I usually prefer to discuss football and politics.

I don't know if "outsider" is the word I'd use for myself. I'm relatively comfortable with the other parents in our hs group (in as much as a severe introvert can be). I'm not sure there is a single pair of hs'ers in our group who hs even close to the same way, and our kids are all very, very different.

Sometimes I do feel like wearing a sign that describes exactly who I am, since it's pretty different from the assumptions that tend to be made. I may be a frugal homeschooler with 4 kids (and hopes for more) and a few conservative values, but I'm a fairly liberal atheist with a healthy household income and a genuine love of skanky 80's music. :D

Hmm. I'm trying to think this one through. I get along fine with the other homeschoolers I know. But I don't know any hsers who have to ask their husbands for permission.

I think that most of the hsers I know are Christian, so I suppose anyone who isn't would feel left out. However, even with our Christianity as a common denominator, there are still lots of variations among us.

Some of the hsers I know do dress pretty granola-y. Some dress really sloppy. Some dress neat and tidy, but are really outdated (mom-jeans). Some dress really cute. (I try to dress cute! I wear my skinny jeans every day, but not with heels. I wear them with boots. And I always wear a little makeup and jewelry.)

Some of us like 80's music (I don't, unless you count a few hair bands) and some listen to Christian music (which I find really boring, even though I'm Christian) and some like...well, everyone likes a bit of everything else.

Some don't have a problem with Harry Potter, some do. Some are unschoolers, some are WTMers, some are cyber-schoolers.

Some of the hsers I know are smart as a whip, and some aren't. Some have great sense of humor (which just means that they match MY sense of humor :D), and some are soooo serious all the time.

In my mind, homeschooers are just people. But I guess the hsers around here don't all fit into the same mold. I feel sorry for people who only seem to have one type of homeschoolers around them. I've got an assortment to choose from!

that home schooling is what I do. It is not who I am. I am Tonya. I am pretty bookish and want my kids to be advanced in their studies. I am also a rock music fan who attends a hippie-Christian-music-and-arts festival with my family every summer. We host traveling musicians in our home, even though we have teenage girls in the house. I let my kids get their licenses as soon as possible. My daughters have competed in competitive sports, because I don't like games that don't keep score just to keep self-esteem up. I love love love TV. We let our kids watch R-rated movies. I have never bought a spelling book. I don't bake my own bread or eat organic. In fact, we just had Little Caesar's for lunch, and looks like McD's for dinner. We go to the doctor and take prescription medication when he tells us to. My husband's input usually consists of, "Where are you going again? Oh, ok." He has no idea what I teach the kids, and I like it that way.

One of the best things about this particular message board is the diversity of thought and lifestyle. It is easy in home schooling to become isolated, even among those with whom we have much in common. It is lovely, I think, to come to this little corner and be stretched, challenged, welcomed, and encouraged, regardless of where we are on the path.

Blessings,

T.

I've been homeschooling for 12 years now, mom for 18. One thing I need in a friendship is a connection WAY beyond kids and school. Boy did I *HATE* having to hear about everyone's perfect curriculum when my kids were younger. I love mine, don't always share what we use, and don't care what you use. And I enjoy hearing about my friend's kids, but detest the obnoxious moms whose kids are perfect or gifted at about every thing they try, and make sure EVERYONE knows about it.

I think you're WAY cool for driving the sports car and dressing and tending to yourself. You go, girl!!!

I'm the only homeschool mom in either of my groups who wears make-up regularly, jewelry, and has her nails done. Oh, and I won't leave the house without styling my hair. It's just me.

Not into the sports car thing, but boy wouldn't I love a pearl white truck, king cab, etc. :D I'd get some nice rose decals and dec it all out. ;)

Different? yeah. But I'm not going to change who I am so you'll like me. I have found that some people won't befriend someone who's different like this, but once they get to know the person behind the shell, things are all good. Just get out there and talk to people. Don't step on their toes with your high heels. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I have not read this whole thread (I'll go back and read it), but my first thought was, "Oh, sure, every day I feel weird." What is normal?

We do go to church occasionally. After one particular visit to Sunday school, my DS said to me that we believe in Jesus, and we're right, right? So now I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate the diversity of religious studies into our day while avoiding making it simply an academic study. I have a certain illusion that they will be on board with morning mediation before we begin our day - but I'm certainly not going to force it on them, so I'll have to adjust if one attaches to a different philosophical or religious believe. I'm going to have to be very aware of their feelings with respect to this.

I wish we had more diversity in our area, but unfortunately, it's a wonderbread world around here.

Yeah, I envisioned a kind of "circle time" with the kids and tried to do it the Oak Meadow way. I thought it would center us. It didn't really work. so now we start our day with a read-aloud, snuggling on the couch. I always feel more centered after that and it really helps DS10 who is slow to wake up and get started. :001_smile: Sometimes in the afternoon I do yoga with dd. It doesn't really center me, but I can't help but find my joy watching a 5yo do Downward Dog.

My dh and I used to do 50/50 homeschooling, until our work situations changed. He always felt like the moms at the park looked at him like he was a child molester. He did, however, hit it off in a big way with the librarians. We have one other hs family we consider friends. They're xian, but we don't hold that against them :tongue_smilie:

Are you banging your head because some hsers do what the other poster said? Or are you banging your head because the other poster said that?:confused:

I'm banging my head as I relate to what she says. I have one friend in particular that has two girls my girl's ages. We do monthly play dates, and I also see her 2 nights per week at synchro swim and at our homeschool group. Sometimes I dread the play dates because I get tired of hearing how perfect her children are all the time. It saddens me, too, because the oldest daughter is on herbs to calm her nerves, because her mother pushed her SO HARD in the past that now she has a break down if she's not perfect. It breaks my heart.

I'm comfortable in our park group. But I can't say there's anyone else like me there. Most of them are unschooling hippies. I like unschooling hippies, so I'm happy, but I didn't start homeschooling because I wanted to fit into a crowd. I'm OK with not fitting in. (And when I attend the Christian group, it's just the same.)

Yeah!! I had to leave after my post but I've enjoyed coming back to read all the responses. It's so nice to see so many other outsiders in the hs community. I wish you all lived in my subdivision!

I have friends outside of the hs circle but for the sake of my boys I'm seeking out friends with similar schedules and priorities. I'll keep looking and hopefully turn up a few like-minded outcasts. ;) In the meantime I'm working hard on relating to those I encounter for the sake of my kids, and trying not think about having to ask my dh for permission or an allowance. That gives me the heebie jeebies. :001_huh:

I'm just so glad there are others walking this path in three inch heels too! :lol: Thanks for all of the encouraging responses everyone!

I'm comfortable in our park group. But I can't say there's anyone else like me there. Most of them are unschooling hippies. I like unschooling hippies, so I'm happy, but I didn't start homeschooling because I wanted to fit into a crowd. I'm OK with not fitting in. (And when I attend the Christian group, it's just the same.)

Ditto. We're not hippies or fundamentalists, so, we don't fit in with the "typical" groups.

Yeah!! I had to leave after my post but I've enjoyed coming back to read all the responses. It's so nice to see so many other outsiders in the hs community. I wish you all lived in my subdivision!

I have friends outside of the hs circle but for the sake of my boys I'm seeking out friends with similar schedules and priorities. I'll keep looking and hopefully turn up a few like-minded outcasts. ;) In the meantime I'm working hard on relating to those I encounter for the sake of my kids, and trying not think about having to ask my dh for permission or an allowance. That gives me the heebie jeebies. :001_huh:

I'm just so glad there are others walking this path in three inch heels too! :lol: Thanks for all of the encouraging responses everyone!

It's so hard to find heels in size men's 11. Does anyone have any ideas?