Menu

Can everyone be a homeschooling parent?

A mom was telling me the other day that she didn't think she could homeschool. She had a HUGE look of panic on her face. I used to try and counter this kind of statement with the calm encouragement that it just takes a little bit of knowledge about the curriculum out there and a good support group.

Lately, I've begun to be less of a salesperson. I've been in a large co-op for a number of years and some moms are REALLY not good teachers in a classroom setting. I'm not talking about moms that are just learning the ropes - I'm talking about the ones that everyone avoids signing up for if they are teaching because they don't know and don't want to know their subjects or they have terrible interactions with kids on a regular basis. They don't really have the interest to self teach or the patience to work with and value kids.

I always assumed everyone would love their homeschooling experience if they just got control of discipline and organization, got their hands on a good fitting curriculum and stuck it out.

Sometimes I felt like I was "selling" homeschooling to a new mom and it was my job to counter all of the reasons why homeschool would not work for them. Now, I do it differently. I briefly answer their questions, offer encouragement and a very brief summary of what's available and then I back way off. If they continue to have questions I let them come to me.

Do you think everyone has the capability and talents to be a homeschooling parent?

Do you think everyone has the capability and talents to be a homeschooling parent?

I know too many people who are "homeschooling" but should never have been allowed to. They like the idea of it, but they are NOT teaching their children, and it shows. The sad thing is that these parents don't even realize they aren't doing a good job. But when their kids are in the same co-op class as mine, the differences are marked.

Just like with every single thing in life - no.

I know it's not politically correct to say, but there isn't a single skill everyone might and will acquire (even though most people will get somewhere if they try hard enough... but for some even that won't be enough), and the ability to educate somebody is itself a mishmash of lots of skills and talents, a certain combination which has to "click", and while it may "click" in different ways and ratios, thus producing different styles of homeschooling, it HAS to "click" and, let's face it, there are people for whom it just doesn't. Just like any other combination of skills needed for X in life.

I agree that teaching other children in a classroom setting is totally different from teaching your own children at home. So, I wouldn't judge people based on how they teach at the co-op.

My opinion on your question is this:

As a Christian, I believe that God has called us to homeschool. So, I know that He will equip me for the job. So, if you are talking about Christian homeschool parents that feel that God wants them to homeschool, then I believe that God will give them what they need to do the job right, if they are just willing to trust Him (and they have to be willing to actually work at it; i realize there are a lot of people who get lazy and don't do a good job. That doesn't mean they CAN'T. They just WON'T). Along the same lines- people say to me, "I could never handle 5 children! How do you do it?" I tell them that back when I only had 1 child, I couldn't have handled even 2 children. Because I didn't need to. As God has given us more children, He has also given us more patience and other skills needed to be good parents.

I think the most important thing you need is willingness and a strong desire. And even then, it's a tough road for many. Without a willingness and desire to give it a good go, you haven't got a chance. So no, it's not for everyone because by far most people don't even want to. Many people dont want to be aorund their kids very much at all.

A friend of mine gave me just the sort of sales-like encouragement you speak of. She overcame all my fears, doubts, and excuses with very good reasoning. We are both Christian so there is that element as well. Her son was far ahead of grade level and she swore it was the materials she used - if only I did the same, I'd get the same result. Not so.

She still sells homeschooling this way to this day. I think she has no idea how immensely I have struggled with it. Now that I've lived homeschooling I can't easily stop - my own reasons for homeschooling have since grown and diversified since this woman sold me on it. It was not fair of her though to place high expectations on me in areas of HER strengths, when in fact those were my areas of weakness. I don't blame her now, but there was a short period of realization I went through when I resented her "sell". This is my own tangled mess to sort out at this point. Looking back, I know why my gut just didn't feel right about it. I don't see a better option though - as long as I can get on top of things.

Thank you for mentioning this, as I think the uber-salespeople of homeschooling ought to take a step back & ask if maybe the person they're addressing isn't homeschooling because they know themselves better than anyone else.

I'm a pretty good homeschooling parent but a lousy classroom teacher. I do much better with 1-3 students in a small classroom teaching each what they need to know. I work in a small private school and have been asked to substitute in the larger classrooms and have refused everytime because it isn't for me. I substitute frequently in the small group classrooms.

No not all parents can homeschool just as all parents can't teach classes of children.

Chances are that if you have an unsupportive spouse, kids with problems like ADHD and problems of your own with your health, depression and ADHD... then homeschooling will be very difficult.

Some parents with depression REALLY shouldn't homeschool. That break from their kids (and vise versa) might make a huge difference in their lives, for the better. I wouldn't sell the idea of homeschooling to anyone and everyone.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I agree with the others who said teaching in a co-op setting is not at all the same as teaching your own dc. Totally different monsters!!! I, personally, am not good with classroom management and that would reflect on my teaching...though I think I'm a pretty decent one-on-one tutor.

I also agree that there are parents who shouldn't be HSing. A HS parent has to be internally driven and willing to make some sacrifices for the sake of the dc. A HS parent has to tough it out through the bad days and be willing to daily work on (not just school stuff) PARENTING issues 24/7. I tell my dh, "Schooling isn't the hard part. It's parenting non-stop. It's never getting a potty break or a quiet lunch or even a long drive home to think."

I had a friend once tell me point blank, "I know HSing would be best for ______, but I couldn't STAND having the mess in my house." (meaning the clutter from crafts and schoolwork) It's probably a good thing that child went to ps. That mom was at least willing to admit she wouldn't make the sacrifices necessary. I, on the other hand, have resigned myself to living amongst the clutter so long as it's nothing edible that would attract rodents....I'm probably not good "HSing advertisement for her":lol:

I believe I do a very good job with my own children. And then I tried to teach a hs class. We were doing Sing Song Geography and not a single student (but my own) would sing. One outright refused to do anything. Others chatted amongst themselves.

In my house, I wouldn't stand for that. In a room full of other people's kids... I totally froze. It is SO not for me!

I always assumed everyone would love their homeschooling experience if they just got control of discipline and organization, got their hands on a good fitting curriculum and stuck it out.

I read a book a couple years ago called Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe which I talk about here:

http://beanmommyandthethreebeans.blogspot.com/2008/03/book-review-lies-homeschooling-moms.html

One thing that floored and bothered me about the book was that he said "many homeschooling moms hate everything about homeschooling, except for the results." Then this is just glossed over, with nothing else but a, "So don't feel bad; you're not the only one!" and on to the next topic.

I'm sorry, but if I hated everything about homeschooling, I would think that's a problem that needs to be addressed. I would not find it encouraging or helpful to hear, "Oh, lots of moms hate it -- no big deal!"

I was also simply surprised by the statement itself. A lot of woman hate everything about homeschooling?

Really?

How sad.

I know too many people who are "homeschooling" but should never have been allowed to. They like the idea of it, but they are NOT teaching their children, and it shows. The sad thing is that these parents don't even realize they aren't doing a good job. But when their kids are in the same co-op class as mine, the differences are marked.

What does this look like?

Can you give some examples?

Thanks!

Classroom settings with other people's children are totally different than homeschooling... I would hate (hate!!!) to teach other people's kids. And that doesn't reflect at all what I do for my child at home.

:iagree:

I love homeschooling my daughter but have recently discovered that I do NOT enjoy teaching other people's kids in a group setting. At. All.

Classroom settings with other people's children are totally different than homeschooling... I would hate (hate!!!) to teach other people's kids. And that doesn't reflect at all what I do for my child at home.

:iagree: My exact thoughts when I read the op. Sure hope I wouldn't be judged on my homeschooling abilities based on teaching in a co-op setting. I have learned that I do not articulate well and one-on-one with my kiddo is not like standing in front of a room (even of small people) talking/teaching others.

I do, however, agree with the op that probably not everyone should homeschool.

I agree that teaching other children in a classroom setting is totally different from teaching your own children at home. So, I wouldn't judge people based on how they teach at the co-op.

My opinion on your question is this:

As a Christian, I believe that God has called us to homeschool. So, I know that He will equip me for the job. So, if you are talking about Christian homeschool parents that feel that God wants them to homeschool, then I believe that God will give them what they need to do the job right, if they are just willing to trust Him (and they have to be willing to actually work at it; i realize there are a lot of people who get lazy and don't do a good job. That doesn't mean they CAN'T. They just WON'T). Along the same lines- people say to me, "I could never handle 5 children! How do you do it?" I tell them that back when I only had 1 child, I couldn't have handled even 2 children. Because I didn't need to. As God has given us more children, He has also given us more patience and other skills needed to be good parents.

One of my fave quotes is, "God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called." I believe that to be true. I know that there are many things over the last year or so that I've had placed on my heart and am trying to meet, that God has called me to do, that I *never* in a million years would have done...balked outright at. God has a way of gently but firmly saying, "Oh yes you can!"

Not everyone can homeschool. I do believe that that those who have a true desire and dedication can do so. There are those who aren't gifted in teaching groups of other people children but very capable of teaching their own children. There are those who question themselves and their abilities. And that self examination can be a great thing. I don't believe it is necessary to sell homeschooling but it is necessary to offer support from time to time.

I think we're all a mixed bag of strengths & weaknesses. Contrary to things I've read (and hear in between the lines) there is no perfect/ideal home educator profile, just as there is no ideal/perfect mom profile. You work with what you have towards your goals. Certainly there are extreme instances where homeschooling would not work- abuse, neglect, simply NOT doing the work- but IMHO that is a much smaller percentage of the population than we might think. Desire & commitment can go a long way!

On paper, I'm not sure that I'm an ideal candidate for homeschooling...I struggle w/ seasonal depression (apparently), allergies/frequent illness and am an introvert who needs a certain amount of quiet. But I've realized I'm also very creative & resourceful, organized & a free thinker. This year I've been humbled (read: flattened like a pancake by my glaring inadequacies) and have realized that largely its because I've been relying on my knowledge & abilities. As a person of faith, I think there is another dimension that must be addressed. :)

Thanks!

...who was discussing homeschooling methods with me the other day. There is a science & nature center near us, and the staff has volunteered to conduct free labs for Apologia Biology, so this mom & I each take our dd's there for lab on Monday afternoons. A couple of Mondays ago, we both arrived a few minutes early for picking up our dd's, so while I was waiting, I was working on my lesson plans for the next week's history lessons. The other mom asked me what I was working on, and when I told her, she said something like, "Oh, you're one of the mothers who really teaches."

I was a bit surprised, but I said, "Yes, I like to plan my lessons ahead of time; I guess it's just a holdover from when I taught in the public schools."

She asked me if I work with my dd or if I just gave her the books and let her do it. I explained that I actually teach the lessons in each subject, but I also have EK do some assignments independently. Then she asked me if EK enjoys school. When I told her that she usually does, but isn't always enthusiastic, the other mom commented that her dd doesn't like school at all, so she pretty much just has her do enough work to get by in each subject. She dosen't work with her dd at all, just hands her the assignments--apparently those really boring-but-easy workbooks where you read the section and do a few multpile choice or fill-in-the-blank questions and you're done. She told me that although she is having her attend the Apologia Biology lab classes each week, her dd didn't like the Apologia Biology because it was "too much work", so she was using the workbook curriculum for that too. Then she asked me if EK was actually doing Apologia Biology, and if she made good grades. I told her yes, that EK studies hard and pushes herself because she doesn't like to earn less than an A in any of her classes. The other mom just shook her head and commented that EK must be very smart.

This mom is not an isolated example. I would guess that a large percentage of homeschoolers in our area conduct their schools much he same way. I've known quite a few who schedule play dates at the park for their littles on weekday mornings. They bring their teens along to help watch the kids, or just to chat with the others. When they've invited us and I've declined, saying we had to do our work, the other moms have shrugged it off and said something to the effect of, "I don't really count school days; I figure my kids are learning something every day."

Edited by ereks mom

No, not every parent is able to be a "good" homeschool teacher.

Sometimes the parent need only to examine her (or his) anxieties and recognize which ones can be set aside, talk with other homeschooling parents, and begin homeschooling while knowing that she has friends to consult, and myriad print sources to rely on. Often, these parents become excellent homeschool teachers.

Sometimes the family dynamics overall are not suitable for homeschooling. Period. This can derive from all sorts of causes -- health issues for parent, child(ren), or both (physical and/or mental, and/or learning disabilities), financial, overly-onerous state regulation, and other.

Ours is a firmly Christian family. We do not at all maintain that it is God's will for all Christian parents to homeschool their children. With the case of one of our children, God made it absolutely clear that homeschooling the child would be detrimental to the child's well being. There also have been many times when it was obvious to anybody, Christian or not, that homeschooling for all these many years (over fifteen) has entailed me forcing my will on God, rather than me humbly listening to Him and accepting what well might have been better choices.

Despite the difficulties inherent to my family's situation, our "track record" is acceptable. Two of the four have gone on to college, and have done well once there. One continues in a private school, where he has blossomed and matured in so many ways that our (parental) hearts sing with joy and gratitude. Our youngest is doing very well in many areas of homeschool, which balances her struggles with the LD areas.

Am I a "good" homeschool teacher?

No.

No. I don't believe everyone can be a homeschooling parent. I know several families where I believe homeschooling has been detrimental to the children.

I don't believe you can judge how a parent homeschools by how they teach at Co-Op. I don't like teaching other people's kids, especially the littles. I am not the do lots of projects type of homeschooler. I am not crafty in the least. I don't have a lot of skills that translate well into a Co-Op type class. I don't have the time to put together a whole lesson plan for Co-Op on top of my own homeschooling planning, my part time job, and all our activities.

Now the lack of interest in learning what they signed up to teach maybe a clue. Why are they signing up to teach when they obviously don't want to do it? Is it a requirement? Is there something else they can do?

I don't think it's for everyone but....

I've seen moms who send their kids to public school who probably should homeschool they would be forced to learn to connect with their kids. Why have kids if you are going to let someone else raise them? Really school is part of raising them...

A mom was telling me the other day that she didn't think she could homeschool. She had a HUGE look of panic on her face. I used to try and counter this kind of statement with the calm encouragement that it just takes a little bit of knowledge about the curriculum out there and a good support group.

Lately, I've begun to be less of a salesperson. I've been in a large co-op for a number of years and some moms are REALLY not good teachers in a classroom setting. I'm not talking about moms that are just learning the ropes - I'm talking about the ones that everyone avoids signing up for if they are teaching because they don't know and don't want to know their subjects or they have terrible interactions with kids on a regular basis. They don't really have the interest to self teach or the patience to work with and value kids.

Sometimes I felt like I was "selling" homeschooling to a new mom and it was my job to counter all of the reasons why homeschool would not work for them. Now, I do it differently. I briefly answer their questions, offer encouragement and a very brief summary of what's available and then I back way off. If they continue to have questions I let them come to me.

Not to be snarky....but COOP teaching is NOT homeschooling. Homeschooling takes place at HOME ...one on one...with your own child. Quite different than classroom teaching. I don't know when Co-ops became HOME schooling. Co-ops are Co-ops...HOME schooling is HOME Schooling. And, while everyone might NOT be cut out for homeschooling or Coop teaching or classroom teaching...It is comparing apples to oranges.

I have absolutely NO desire what-so-ever to teach in a classroom full of other peoples kids. If I wanted my kids in a classroom setting from an early age, I would find a GOOD school , either public or private, with professional teachers. I don't think I would be apt to put my child into a coop situation where there are Mom's teaching other kids in exchange for the tuition or just so their kids could have a "social" experience.

I am, however, an awesome homeschool teacher. Teaching MY kids one on one and as a family has been very beneficial to them academically, emotionally and spiritually. My methods of teaching....which mostly take place in a comfy livingroom, with stacks of cool library books, loads of conversation, read alouds, etc. would NOT carry over into a classroom setting.

So, equating a classroom setting to a homeschool setting is definitely not going to determine whether a Mom is capable of HOMEschooling or not.

~~~Faithe

Thanks!

I was having lunch with a bunch of friends. I have one aquaintance that pretty much follows this example because her son (8yo) apparently rebels to anything school. She calls herself an unschooler but I don't agree. Not to sound judgemental but I get the idea that it's more "nonschooling". If he shows any sign of resistance, she doesn't teach. But I also get the idea that there's nothing set-up when he is interested. I don't know the extent of it though.

Anyway, I was talking about how my DD was motivated to finish her work early that day to attend something later that afternoon. And someone asked me what subjects we do everyday. After I explained, she piped in with, "WOW! you get a lot done. I end most my days being asked by my hubby what we did that day and we usually made a batch of cookies. That's math, right?" From what I know of her, that's probably true most days because she has said this multiple times. :( My only hope is that she was really joking and they have some form of learning going on.

Edited by jannylynn

I say YES, every parent likely has the ability to homeschool in the same way that all people have the ability to exercise and get healthy. Some people don't take it seriously, some people do a little and call it a lot, some people have a lot more weight to lose and muscle to gain before they can function optimally. BUT, yes, they can approach it, attempt it, and be disciplined enought to stick with it....

Just my 2 cents. Off to the gym! ;-)

:-)

Yes, I think eveyone CAN be a homeschooling parent.

Do I think that everyone will DO WHAT IT TAKES to be a homeschooling parent-absolutely not. it isn't easy, as you well know.

But, I have seen some parents become what it takes when their dc met a crisis in ps, and they decided to bring them home.

Haven't read all replies. IMO if a parent is otherwise a "good" parent who loves his/her children and wants the best for them, then I say, yes, all of those parents, if they have the desire to homeschool their kids, can do so and succeed. Other parents, who don't care about their kids, are abusive or neglectful, then no, they can't be a good homeschooling parent because they aren't a "good" parent to begin with.

Chances are that if you have an unsupportive spouse, kids with problems like ADHD and problems of your own with your health, depression and ADHD... then you shouldn't homeschool.

Some parents with depression REALLY shouldn't homeschool. That break from their kids (and vise versa) might make a huge difference in their lives, for the better.

I am saying this as a parent with depression.

Well you just described my family situation, no spouse, kids with major issues, me with depression etc. I don't think it is a reason not to homeschool. If the parent is willing to do whatever is necessary to ensure the kids are learning, and that the kids needs (and the parent if they are facing health issues) are being met then I still think homeschooling can be done well. My homeschool will never look like many of the one's I hear about on here. I often find myself envious, but that does not mean that the kids should not be homeschooled. I think the same can be said for many families.

No homeschooling is not for everyone, but I do think that with love, determination, sacrifice, and a clear reason why one has chosen to homeschool any family that feels homeschooling is what is best for their child can succeed.

I don't sell homeschooling to everyone. I bascially tell people we homeschool but that's the extent to it. I haven't met anyone really that was interested in doing it in our area ( except for those who are already homeschooling or told me they are already going to do it)

Usually when people say they don't think they can do it. I usually respond with " You will never know if you don't try."

My mother in law actually gave me a good piece of advice. Usually when people say " I don't think I could or I don't know if I could homeschool" its really their way of saying that they don't want to.

I do agree though that I wouldn't rely on co-op classes to think that someone isn't able to. I know a lady in our Girl Scout Troop( its a GS troop for homeschoolers ) that just annoys me to no end. She can be very boring. But she has two daughters and a son who have thrived off of being homeschooled by her. Her son is is in college and her two daughters are smart and are very musical. Its all a matter of whether the kids click with the mom's personality.

There are some people who shouldn't homeschool. Those are the ones that don't like spending time with their children ( I have met people like that) and those who say " I don't know if I could or I don't think I can. " LOL!

As for my response to how I homeschool 4 children, deal with 1 child's health problems and my own health problems? I usually like to say " If you were thrown into the jungle in the middle of nowhere and had to survive you would find a way."

No homeschooling is not for everyone, but I do think that with love, determination, sacrifice, and a clear reason why one has chosen to homeschool any family that feels homeschooling is what is best for their child can succeed.
:grouphug: Thank you!

There are some people who shouldn't homeschool. Those are the ones that don't like spending time with their children ( I have met people like that)

As for my response to how I homeschool 4 children, deal with 1 child's health problems and my own health problems? I usually like to say " If you were thrown into the jungle in the middle of nowhere and had to survive you would find a way."

Just a great quote.

Yes, I think eveyone CAN be a homeschooling parent.

Do I think that everyone will DO WHAT IT TAKES to be a homeschooling parent-absolutely not. it isn't easy, as you well know.

But, I have seen some parents become what it takes when their dc met a crisis in ps, and they decided to bring them home.

:iagree: My belief is that f you are a good parent, you can be a good homeschooling parent, if you are willing to do what it takes. Not everyone is willing, and if they are not, they should not take on the responsibility. But do I believe that I have a special, particular gift for homeschooling that others do not? No, I don't think so.

Guest mrs. logic

No.

Home education requires a parent to be responsible, organized, involved with their child/children and stable. I believe majority of home educating parents fall into this group. On the other side of the coin are the parents who tend to be irresponsible, unorganized, uninvolved with their children and are unstable individuals. Why they choose to home educate is beyond me. I think there is the potential for these type of parents to do more damage to their children than good in the long run. When I meet with prospective home education parents I "paint a picture of reality." During the conversation I pull out the WTM and quote directly from Jessie's section "The Realities of Homeschooling" and "A Personal Word From Jessie." I encourage parents to have a realistic view of what they are contemplating and to make a master plan to help ensure success in their home educating endeavors.

Edited by mrs. logic

Not to be snarky....but COOP teaching is NOT homeschooling. Homeschooling takes place at HOME ...one on one...with your own child. Quite different than classroom teaching. I don't know when Co-ops became HOME schooling. Co-ops are Co-ops...HOME schooling is HOME Schooling. And, while everyone might NOT be cut out for homeschooling or Coop teaching or classroom teaching...It is comparing apples to oranges.

I have absolutely NO desire what-so-ever to teach in a classroom full of other peoples kids. If I wanted my kids in a classroom setting from an early age, I would find a GOOD school , either public or private, with professional teachers. I don't think I would be apt to put my child into a coop situation where there are Mom's teaching other kids in exchange for the tuition or just so their kids could have a "social" experience.

I am, however, an awesome homeschool teacher. Teaching MY kids one on one and as a family has been very beneficial to them academically, emotionally and spiritually. My methods of teaching....which mostly take place in a comfy livingroom, with stacks of cool library books, loads of conversation, read alouds, etc. would NOT carry over into a classroom setting.

So, equating a classroom setting to a homeschool setting is definitely not going to determine whether a Mom is capable of HOMEschooling or not.

~~~Faithe

:iagree: Yes. This exactly. Well stated.

How awful to judge someone's ability to home school their own dc in their own home by their inability to teach a group in a group setting. Wow.

No. People in prison can't hs no matter how much how great their desire or talent.

I would love to think of myself as belonging to some elite group of parent-teacher entities, but I do not. The books I use are not illuminated, and we do not rarify the air prior to starting each day. I am messy. I get the job done.

I'll respond as gently as can be done with a printed post (which can't display tone of voice or facial expressions).

I send my empathy if homeschooling has been a hard struggle for you. Truly do understand this !

I can agree with you only so far as to say that some families similar to what you describe should not homeschool. I will not agree that these difficulties automatically render homeschooling wrong for the family. (saying this despite the morose post I added to the thread a couple of days ago) Rarely do I believe in a blanket pronouncement.

In our family's case, we have

(1) spouse who supports homeschooling in theory, but who often works 80 hours per week (and not by choice) and has had scant involvement these past fifteen years.

(2) teaching parent (me) with major depression, horrible ADHD, and OCD (or Aspergers -- doesn't really matter any more).

(3) a DS with ADHD, anxiety spectrum, and NVLD

(4) a DS with Asperger's and NVLD (this son does attend a specialized day school because it has been the best choice for him)

(5) a DD with ADHD, major depression, and NVLD.

Son from #3, and his older brother, both have gone to college after being homeschooled, and have done exceptionally well. All four children have enviable moral and character traits which endear them to other people.

By the external description, we would be a "recipe for disaster". Instead, our successes have been many and happy.

In that I am a Christian, I have to attribute all successes to God's care.

Sincere regards,

O-6

Chances are that if you have an unsupportive spouse, kids with problems like ADHD and problems of your own with your health, depression and ADHD... then you shouldn't homeschool.

Some parents with depression REALLY shouldn't homeschool. That break from their kids (and vise versa) might make a huge difference in their lives, for the better.

I am saying this as a parent with depression.

Hello friend. Lovely post. I totally agree. I made that first post too short, and will see if I can edit it. One simply cannot make a blanket statement about who can/can't, should/shouldn't homeschool. I actually was suprised you were responding to me. LOL. Our homeschooling is pretty successful ATM. In reality the combination of mental health with myself and my daughter made public school a major struggle as well. I guess my point with the first post is that I wouldn't sell the idea of homeschooling to someone with these struggles. I know some that have really improved their lives and those of their kids by putting their kids in school.

I'll respond as gently as can be done with a printed post (which can't display tone of voice or facial expressions).

I send my empathy if homeschooling has been a hard struggle for you. Truly do understand this !

I can agree with you only so far as to say that some families similar to what you describe should not homeschool. I will not agree that these difficulties automatically render homeschooling wrong for the family. (saying this despite the morose post I added to the thread a couple of days ago) Rarely do I believe in a blanket pronouncement.

(1) spouse who supports homeschooling in theory, but who often works 80 hours per week (and not by choice) and has had scant involvement these past fifteen years.

(2) teaching parent (me) with major depression, horrible ADHD, and OCD (or Aspergers -- doesn't really matter any more).

(4) a DS with Asperger's and NVLD (this son does attend a specialized day school because it has been the best choice for him)

Son from #3, and his older brother, both have gone to college after being homeschooled, and have done exceptionally well. All four children have enviable moral and character traits which endear them to other people.

By the external description, we would be a "recipe for disaster". Instead, our successes have been many and happy.

Sincere regards,

O-6

Thank you for understanding ! :grouphug:

In general, I never promote homeschooling to anybody. I just discuss it as one of various legitimate options.

I cried buckets when we decided to put the one DS into a private school, even while rationally I understood that it was the right thing to do. His life quickly improved, as did life for the rest of us.

This thread has featured any number of "blanket statements" -- including some by me ! -- however, that is to be expected of any topic for which an individual holds strong opinions. It wasn't fair of me to single out what looked like one from you, yet pass over others. Apology extended.

Hello friend. Lovely post. I totally agree. I made that first post too short, and will see if I can edit it. One simply cannot make a blanket statement about who can/can't, should/shouldn't homeschool. I actually was suprised you were responding to me. LOL. Our homeschooling is pretty successful ATM. In reality the combination of mental health with myself and my daughter made public school a major struggle as well. I guess my point with the first post is that I wouldn't sell the idea of homeschooling to someone with these struggles. I know some that have really improved their lives and those of their kids by putting their kids in school.

Guest mrs. logic
No.

Home education requires a parent to be responsible, organized, involved with their child/children and stable. I believe majority of home educating parents fall into this group. On the other side of the coin are the parents who tend to be irresponsible, unorganized, uninvolved with their children and are unstable individuals. Why they choose to home educate is beyond me. I think there is the potential for these type of parents to do more damage to their children than good in the long run. When I meet with prospective home education parents I "paint a picture of reality." During the conversation I pull out the WTM and quote directly from Jessie's section "The Realities of Homeschooling" and "A Personal Word From Jessie." I encourage parents to have a realistic view of what they are contemplating and to make a master plan to help ensure success in their home educating endeavors.

I did not mean to step on toes with this post.

It is just that within the past year I have dealt with the parents on the flip side of the coin in our local homeschool group and in our own family.

I applaud those parents who have special needs themselves who are dedicated to home educating their children. I applaud those parents who are home educating special needs children. I applaud the parents who forgo their housework to home educate their children.

Guest mrs. logic

Sincere regards,

O-6

WOW!

Thank you for sharing!