Menu

What does "I need it by next Monday" mean to you?

What does, "I need it by next Monday" mean to you?  

1. 1. What does, "I need it by next Monday" mean to you?

• It would be due on the Monday immediately following that comment.
    • It would be due on the Monday after the Monday following the comment.
    • The all-important other.

So if it was a Tuesday and someone said to you, "Can you get it to me by next Monday?" would you think they meant the Monday coming up or the one after that?

I usually refer to the one coming up as "this Monday" and if I asked someone for something next Monday I mean the one after this Monday.

When I hear "next Monday", I think of Monday the next week. So if it's Sunday, then I don't mean the very next day. I mean 8 days from Sunday.

:iagree: You said Tuesday, so I would think the first Monday following that because it is the "next" week.

I would immediately respond, "Do you mean the 1st or the 8th?" as I whip out my iPhone to enter the info into the calendar, with a reminder set for 2 days prior.:)

Yep, exactly. (Except I don't use an iPhone, just a calendar. LOL) There is no leaving it to chance because people mean different things with that phrase.

So if it was a Tuesday and someone said to you, "Can you get it to me by next Monday?" would you think they meant the Monday coming up or the one after that?

I usually refer to the one coming up as "this Monday" and if I asked someone for something next Monday I mean the one after this Monday.

It doesn't matter when *I* think that Monday might be. I've learned the hard way ... always clarify *exactly* what date a person means, no matter how sure I am as to what they meant the first time.

Martha said it best:

I would immediately respond, "Do you mean the 1st or the 8th?" as I whip out my iPhone to enter the info into the calendar, with a reminder set for 2 days prior.:)

and ITA... except I use a BlackBerry. :)

It depends on how late in the week it is. On Tuesday, "next Monday" would mean the first Monday to follow, but by Thursday or so, I would say "This Monday" if I were referring to the one coming up, and I would say, "Next Monday" if I were referring to the Monday after "this" one.

NEXT Monday is NOT the one coming, but the NEXT one. I wonder if it's a southern thang... :tongue_smilie:

I thought so, too. If wasn't until dh questioned my assumption that I started thinking maybe "next Monday" really meant "this Monday". And apparently this poll has confirmed it.

If it was Tuesday and you said that, there would be no doubt that it was the next Monday that came up. If it was Sunday and you said that, then I would clarify if you meant the next day or a week from then.

:iagree:

This is what I would expect, but I always clarify uncertain terms like 'next'.

NEXT Monday is NOT the one coming, but the NEXT one. I wonder if it's a southern thang... :tongue_smilie:

I would think the same thing. The Monday that is 6 days away is "this Monday" or "this coming Monday."

"Next" Monday means just that - the Monday after THIS Monday. Not the first Monday, but the NEXT. :D

:lol:

Since the Monday after the comment is contained within "next week", I would refer to it as "next Monday".

If it were Tuesday, and you said "this Monday" I would ask for a clarification, since "this Monday" would have already passed. After a bit of confusion, wondering what day it now was (I don't always know, LOL), I'd ask if you meant Monday of next week. If you answered affirmatively, I'd say to myself, "Oh, NEXT Monday, why didn't she say so?" ;)

Since the Monday after the comment is contained within "next week", I would refer to it as "next Monday".

If it were Tuesday, and you said "this Monday" I would ask for a clarification, since "this Monday" would have already passed. After a bit of confusion, wondering what day it now was (I don't always know, LOL), I'd ask if you meant Monday of next week. If you answered affirmatively, I'd say to myself, "Oh, NEXT Monday, why didn't she say so?" ;)

But, the Monday that has already passed would be "yesterday" - or maybe "this past Monday" - but not "this Monday!" :D

I've had the policy of asking for dates, not days of the week, for deadlines. This thread reminds me why. ROFL! :tongue_smilie: There are a dozen different interpretations for every statement sometimes! :lol: