Menu

$499 iPad - Who wants one?

You can read the details on Apple's website. It doesn't have the same kind of display as the Kindle and Nook, but it looks pretty interesting. The price is lower than many had feared.

Here is the link to the SlashGear livecast of the press event with lots of pictures and some details of what Steve Jobs said.

Please post links here about the iPad along with your thoughts on this newest of creations from Apple. Does anyone consider this a Kindle-killer?

Edited by RegGuheert

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say, yes, it might eventually kill off the other ebook readers. Sony's wireless ereader is $400, the Nook and Kindle are almost $300. If the ipad is only $500 and has *lots* of other capabilities? Yeah...you'd be hard-pressed to justify the cost of the ereader that only does ebooks.

Cool! Where do you get the specs on that? It looks like basically a giant iTouch. Because it does not have phone or camera capabilities, right? Does it have a full computer? For instance, can you download things onto it, run something akin to Microsoft Office, etc?

I'd be interested. I absolutely LOVE my iPhone. However, I love my iPhone because I do not have to carry other things around with it. Such as a seperate phone, camera, computer, etc.

I'll wait. Partly because in a year or so Toshiba, Dell et al will have cheaper alternatives and partly because it's an Apple product and it would seriously damage my geek cred to buy one. :D

Well, and I'm Canada so it won't be available here for a couple of years.:cursing:

I want one, but I will almost certainly wait at least a year. Probably until the next generation/price drop. I don't really like to be a first adopter on technology like this. I figure I can wait until the hardcore fans work all the bugs out. :)

My dh wants one. I bet he won't wait until the weekend to get one. I could wait until my current laptop dies (MacBook Air) before looking at something else because I love it and am perfectly satisfied. Super-geek dh always wants the newest thing. He was unhappy this morning because he had a meeting at the same time as the rollout announcement from Apple.

half the price and waterproof would make it more appealing to me. :)

I want one. My birthday is coming up, and my dh was considering either a Kindle or an Itouch for me. I told him to hold off- I think the ITab is going to offer the best of both worlds. I do think it will be a Kindle killer-the cost of a Kindle DX is not far off from the ITab so I think for the money most will skip the DX.

It doesn't have the same kind of display as the Kindle and Nook, but it looks pretty interesting. The price is lower than many feared.

Here is the link to the SlashGear livecast of the press event with lots of pictures and some details of what Steve Jobs said.

Please post links here about the iPad along with your thoughts on this newest of creations from Apple. Does anyone consider this a Kindle-killer?

Nope. I don't.

I dislike touch screens. I like the way the Kindle reads like a real book (the paper-ink technology--whatever it's called)--I wouldn't want to read on a shiny computer/tv like screen. I don't want to pay monthly to have access to 3G. I don't like the large size. These are just a few of the reasons it doesn't tempt me at all :001_smile:.

Annie, I just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you haven't even given birth yet and you have 101 posts. That's dedication! :lol:

LOL - am I up to 100 already? I came here to do research, but you folks were so gosh darn interesting that I got sucked in. ;)

Nope. I don't.

I dislike touch screens. I like the way the Kindle reads like a real book (the paper-ink technology--whatever it's called)--I wouldn't want to read on a shiny computer/tv like screen. I don't want to pay monthly to have access to 3G. I don't like the large size. These are just a few of the reasons it doesn't tempt me at all :001_smile:.

Me neither. I'm into touchscreens, but I don't think it's a good choice for an e-reader. I think Kindle and Nook can sleep easily tonight.

OTOH, I'm interested in having a computer about this size. I'm likely to hold off for an Android-powered knock-off. The attractive thing about the iPad is access to the many programs in the App Store.

From this link: is iBooks new to iPad, or is this the same app as found on an iPhone and iPod Touch? I like the way it shows the bookshelf, kind of like Delicious Library 2 and others. I wonder if it can be used to catalog physical books rather than just eBooks?

I just searched the app store on my phone for iBooks. It asked "did you mean iboobs?" I take that to mean that the iBooks app isn't out yet?

I bet it will because I think that iCal does that already.

I have my iphone synced with outlook and it works pretty well. What I would like is if I could somehow keep my phone synced to my outlook but also sync it to dh's phone so that each other's calendar were put on each other's phones without being put on each other's outlook calendars. Does that make any sense? I'd like a separate calendar that shows dh's outlook calendar without it messing up my own and vice versa.

but after watching the video at apple.com, no. I'll wait until it is everything it is plus a computer. What I want is the thing McKay always had with him on Stargate Atlantis. Once they have that and what it is right now, I'm sold!

To me this looks like a big iTouch with an e-reader built in.

but after watching the video at apple.com, no. I'll wait until it is everything it is plus a computer. What I want is the thing McKay always had with him on Stargate Atlantis. Once they have that and what it is right now, I'm sold!
I'm not familiar with McKay on Stargate Atlantis. What bits of a computer are missing, IYO?
To me this looks like a big iTouch with an e-reader built in.
Agreed. That's what it looks like to me, too.

Most definitely! Maybe in two years when our cell phone contract is over we can switch to iPhones and get the iPad. :)

Our two year contract just ended at the beginning of January and we got iphones. My dh had a blackberry through work and hated it. We looooove our iphones, even though the geek inside me died a little when I didn't get a droid or palm pre. ;)

Oh yeah... I want one. Despite the silly name. :tongue_smilie:

If it can run Skype in the background (or if Skype enables push notification), and IF that $30/month unlimited (woot!) contract-free data plan actually performs... and if it can sync with a bluetooth headset, it could potentially end up lowering my monthly bills a bit.

It does have a GPS chip, right? So it could do navigation with the TomTom app like the iPhone?

Mrs Mungo- I use multiple calendars in iCal. I can view them individually or all together. I have color-coded them. :D I can also view them all together or individually on my iPod Touch. The iPad calendar looks really good, compared to the iPod Touch!

iCal syncs up very well with the Google Calendar. But it does not sync with my husband's work calendar. He can't even accept calendar invitations from iCal... whether this is an iCal bug or something going on with his work calendar, I don't know.

Edited to add:

Will Skype run on the 3G data plan, or only wifi? Edit: At least one VOIP application can now run on 3G, AND it has push notifications. (iCall). No experience with it, but it looks like this is the way things are starting to go. Good news for me.

Will it be able to use the Kindle app?

Can it run Adobe Flash? If not, I don't think we could use it to access our K12 lessons. Edit: No, it does not have Flash. That is a bummer.

Edited by Mekanamom

I have my iphone synced with outlook and it works pretty well. What I would like is if I could somehow keep my phone synced to my outlook but also sync it to dh's phone so that each other's calendar were put on each other's phones without being put on each other's outlook calendars. Does that make any sense? I'd like a separate calendar that shows dh's outlook calendar without it messing up my own and vice versa.

The easiest way I have found to do this is by each user syncing their Outlook calendar with Google calendar and then sharing with the other. I have been doing this for a couple of years and love it. I can finally see everything at once, or just one calendar at a time no matter where I am.

Jennifer

I've looked through Apple's information and there is a lot that I like about the iPad. Of course, there are some things I do not like:

- Beautiful design and display. Not at all surprising for an Apple product!

- Built-in and available Apple applications look great!

- Access to the App Store.

- Hardware appears quite powerful.

- External keyboard accessory.

- Optional 3G access. (Assuming you can buy this hardware without a contract and just toss in a SIM card when you want to travel with it. Probably a bad assumption, given this is Apple...)

Dislikes:

- Built-in battery. Just like the iPhone and iPod Touch. Limits run-time and is a form of planned limited lifetime.

- Built-in data storage. I understand why they want to have a large amount of built-in storage (to protect IP of content providers), but why do they refuse to offer expansion?

- Mac or PC requirements?? I think this is where I got hung up on the iPod Touch before I returned it and why I've been preferring Android. I don't want to link to a PC. Ever. I want everything automatically synced to the internet without ever having to think about it. (I may be misunderstanding how this works, but I really get the impression Steve Jobs wants me tethered to iTunes.)

- DRM. Another big turn-off of Apple products is their extreme focus on digital-rights management and NO focus on free content. Did anyone find any mention of access to free eBooks, as does Amazon and Barnes and Noble?

Overall, it's a really nice-looking product. Like most of Apple's products, I tend to get stuck on the business model it's wrapped around. But if I can avoid ever needing to sync to a PC, then I may try one of these out.

Nope. I don't.

This is me too. I actually like touch screens and really like my iPhone :001_wub: but I was hoping for more of an eReader in this case. I'm not sure I'd love to sit and read on a screen that is backlit like the iPhone/iPod Touch. I didn't want to pay a monthly fee to use it (I already have an iPhone for web surfing) and don't need a computer since I already have a new Mac.

I like how big it is, and if I didn't already have the other Apple gizmos I'd probably be tempted. As it stands, I think now after all the waiting to see what Apple would come out with :tongue_smilie: I will go back to looking at the Kindle DX. However, I really like Apple products so I can't guarantee that the iPad won't end up on my wishlist by Christmas. ;)

It isn't on my list of wants just yet. I was hoping it might be more computerish and push the pricing of the MacBook down so that i can purchase a second one for school. ATM we have 1 x iPhone, 3 x iTouch and 1 x MacBook. I don't think i need an iPad but i would upgrade the iTouches to iPad when they die.

- Built-in battery. Just like the iPhone and iPod Touch. Limits run-time and is a form of planned limited lifetime.

You can get the battery in an ipod replaced for $60 through apple.

- Built-in data storage. I understand why they want to have a large amount of built-in storage (to protect IP of content providers), but why do they refuse to offer expansion?
Well, I guess because they have models with more memory that are more expensive. It's usually cheaper to buy a model with less memory and add it on yourself. I agree that this is a business model thing.

- Mac or PC requirements?? I think this is where I got hung up on the iPod Touch before I returned it and why I've been preferring Android. I don't want to link to a PC. Ever. I want everything automatically synced to the internet without ever having to think about it. (I may be misunderstanding how this works, but I really get the impression Steve Jobs wants me tethered to iTunes.)
I have an iphone. I did have to sync it to my computer once but I know my hubby had to do the same with his blackberry. Once it's synced, you never have to connect it to your pc again if you don't want to. I can download from itunes, the app store, the internet without connecting to my pc.

- DRM. Another big turn-off of Apple products is their extreme focus on digital-rights management and NO focus on free content. Did anyone find any mention of access to free eBooks, as does Amazon and Barnes and Noble?
I agree, this ticks me off quite a bit. If I buy a CD once I can play it in any CD player I want. People are really getting ripped off on music downloads.

I think the biggest negative for me on the ipad *and* the iphone is the lack of flash video capability. That's a pretty big downside, especially for the ipad with its bigger screen.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I'm hoping this drives down the price of the big Kindle to about $199. My husband offered to buy me one at Christmas but I'm still too cheap. I would be very happy with a Kindle and a Droid. My laptop is about 5 years old though...I might buy one if I thought it could conceivably replace my laptop. I dunno. I just don't get worked up about new technology. Mostly because I hate paying through the nose for something and then have the price come down hundreds of dollars.

Barb

What bits of a computer are missing, IYO?

It won't replace a desktop or a laptop. So all the reasons you need a computer are still there, except looking at pictures and surfing the net and checking email.

If I could just have this thing and not still need my laptop, I'd be sold.

It won't replace a desktop or a laptop. So all the reasons you need a computer are still there, except looking at pictures and surfing the net and checking email.

If I could just have this thing and not still need my laptop, I'd be sold.

I agree that it could not replace *any* of the children's laptops, which, BTW, we bought new for $298 each. Those are used to run lots of programs that we have bought for Windows.

But when I think about what MomsintheGarden and I do with *our* shared laptop, I'm not convinced there is anything we would need that is not provided by the iPad. OTOH, the iPad provides an eReader capability that the laptop does not do well, plus it can be had with built-in cellular access that can be bought month-by-month for access on driving trips, etc.

My main hesitation is in the lack of Flash support that Mrs. Mungo mentioned and the tight grip that Steve Jobs maintains over DRM issue. And on the need to tether it to a laptop, even once. These things make me think I might want to wait for an Android version of this thing, which will not have any of these limitations. In any case, Apple is giving me 90 days to think it over.

In the end, I'm starting to think that MomsintheGarden and I would each be better served by something like the new iPad or perhaps a "Tabloid" than we are by a laptop. YMMV.

I'll wait. Partly because in a year or so Toshiba, Dell et al will have cheaper alternatives and partly because it's an Apple product and it would seriously damage my geek cred to buy one. :D

Well, and I'm Canada so it won't be available here for a couple of years.:cursing:

That. Exactly. I won't buy an Apple product because what's the point? All the business world runs on Microsoft, and rightly so. I'll wait for the Microsoft compatible, cheaper version of it and integrate it into my existing hardware.

If it can't replace my laptop, and it can't replace my iPhone, then I don't really see what its purpose could serve for me. I mean, really, when would I need to pull out a gigantic iTouch? It's not portable enough to slip into my pocket, my jacket, or my purse. I wouldn't be able to use it for things I use my laptop for such as editing photos, digital scrapbooking, etc.

I'm usually all about new technology, but this iPad kind of has me stumped about what in the world it could be used for.

I'll wait. Partly because in a year or so Toshiba, Dell et al will have cheaper alternatives

No they won't.

They'll try, but the products will go the way of the Zune.

I believe he said the international roll out was in 90 days, but that they were all shipping as unlocked devices.

a

I don't think it's a Kindle killer, at least for people who are serious readers. The backlit screen and the pricey ibooks make the iPad worthless for me, at least as an dedicated ereader.

I do hope this nudges Plastic Logic to lower the price on their new reader. I'd like something that handles pdf files well that uses e-ink.

I'm looking foward to what new developments there are with ereaders this year.