Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week IV

Sunday is the start of Book Week Four and should have you starting book # 4. If you haven't already. I'm loving the links and working my way around to reading your reviews.

D is from Drama: The post is up on 52 Books blog with Mr. Linky for you to link to your review of current reads. Please include the name of the book in parenthesis after your name so we'll all know what book you read. Plus link to the specific url for the review and not your general page. Just a note about the warning on the blog for mr linky week 4. I had a gentleman not associated with wtm who linked to some rather crass material, so I deleted the links. As in all things, when that happens, the written warning becomes necessary. Sad, but true. And wouldn't you know it, the warning coincides with the theme this week. Oh, the drama of it all.

What am I reading this week? In the middle of Michael Palmer's The Last Surgeon. Reading it for a 2nd time because I blew through it rather quickly and missed details. I really have to learn to slow down a bit with my reading. Up next after that is The Last Ember by Daniel Levin and Leah Bridger's Soul Catcher.

What are you all reading this week?

Books I've read in 2010:

1: Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire

2: The Blue Cotton Gown

3: Picture Perfect

Still working on How to Read a Book. I'm looking for another book for the week. DH recommended The Chicago Way, which is a mystery. But I may look for some non-fiction.

Read Mama's Bank Account and Does My Head Look Big in This? I thoroughly enjoyed Mama's Bank Account and wished it was longer. My feelings were a little more mixed about the other, but it definitely was a worthwhile look at a teenager in Australia who chooses to wear the hijab.

Almost finished with When Everything Changed, with Left to Tell next in line. I need to get cracking on The History of the Medieval World, which means I'll start skipping the Roman stuff and get to the good parts.

I'm stinking at this book a week thing! I've finished Pride & Prejudice. I'm still rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I started Emma, and I started The Good Earth. I just got Fahrenheit 451 from the library and dd wants me to read Pendragon.

Sigh.

I posted a little review on my blog for a book titled "The Little Book". I really enjoyed it and recommend it, though it is long and I got stuck in the middle -- due to life, not the book.

I also listened to Pride and Prejudice this week, but slept through large chunks as I had a cold and listened while curled up in bed! I re-listened to parts of it when I'd wake up, and as I had read it before and watched the A&E series many times, I knew the story...

Currently, I'm reading:

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World -- fascinating stuff!

The Canon -- I've gotten bogged down w/ this because of life; hoping to get back into a cadence w/ reading it...

Just a couple of days ago, I finished Good Omens (a witty & satirical look at the Apocalypse) and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (funny, original, & touching w/ a wonderful 15-yr-old autistic narrator).

With the dc, I'm reading/have read:

The Wee Free Men (so funny & I'm thrilled the dc are now Terry Pratchett fans)

Augustus Caesar's World

The Lighting Thief (actually, I'm working through this one on my own because ds has already read it)

The Anybodies (finished this a week or so ago & we're ready to start the sequel, The Nobodies)

I'm technically a week ahead this year, and I plan on keeping it that way for as long as possible. There's always that time of year when you can't read a book (ahem September).:glare:

This week I'm working on C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. I've got a couple romance novels going, and we're still reading Charlotte's Web for school.

We'll see what I finish first!

Blessings

Dorinda

So far this year:

#1 - The Missing (Series: Seasons of Grace, v.2), by Beverly Lewis

#2 - Three Weeks With My Brother: A Memoir, by Nicholas and Micah Sparks

#3 - The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment, by A.J. Jacobs

I commented on the above last week and this week I finished:

#4 - In Search of Eden, by Linda Nichols

and am currently reading:

#5 - The Last Sin-Eater, by Francine Rivers

These last two authors are ones that I *discovered* here at the Hive last year and have enjoyed very much. I had no idea there was such a thing believed in in some long-ago cultures as a sin-eater, around which this novel is built. Dh and I had a good discussion about it as he was familiar with this practice from all his reading. (There actually isn't much that he's not aware of and knowledgeable about)!

Not sure what I'll read next - the stacks of waiting books are HIGH, not to mention titles beckoning from the library . . . (mostly light reading as I am very overwhelmed with life issues right now). Still haven't chosen a classic but they'll debut sometime this year, I think . . .:001_smile:

Just finished "100 People who are Screwing Up America (and Al Franken is #37) by Bernard Goldberg.

Interesting read on cultural responsibility.

I'm now reading "Being Catholic Now: Prominent Americans talk about change in the church adn the quest for meaning" by Kerry Kennedy

Edited by laughing lioness

I really enjoyed the books I read this week.

I always find Anne Tyler's work satisfying, and Noah's Compass was no exception.

Still Alice was heartbreaking, but I couldn't put it down.

I also read Half Broke Horse. I loved it just as much as The Glass Castle.

This week I am reading The Cider House Rules and a book by a local sportscaster/motivational speaker called Smile in the Mirror: Dad was right, so was Mom.

Read in 2010:

The Well and the Mine (Gin Phillips)

Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)

The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet (Reif Larsen)

In a Perfect World (Laura Kasischke)

Noah's Compass (Anne Tyler)

Still Alice (Lisa Genova)

Half Broke Horses (Jeannette Walls)

Edited by Crissy

I am still working on my first book - Michigan, A History of the Great Lakes State.

It's not really a read-it-in-a-week kind of book since I'm studying it for a class. I'm also writing a research paper (so there is another stack of books I won't likely read all the way through. :tongue_smilie:).

We've finished two read alouds this week and are halfway through a third. Does that count? :D

I just love reading what everyone else is reading! So many titles/authors I am unfamiliar with. I am not good at doing this book of week thing systematically. I think I'll wind up with more than 52 books in a year but I don't necessarily get each of theml read in one week. I finished 4 books so far in January and now I'm working on Hold On To Your Kids again. I'd started this but then got sidetracked by other books. It is an amazing book though that is really changing the way I look at parenthood. I think I'll need to go back and reread it again. Also I started reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte. I'm about half way through - fantastic so far! Though there is some anti-Catholic stuff in there.

Hi. I am technically "ahead", but I did not yet finish Mansfield Park, which I've been reading all this past week. However, it is my Book #4, so I guess I'll just get busy and finish it.

2010:

1. The Promise by Father Jonathan Morris

2. Going Rogue by Sarah Palin

3. A Simple Christmas by Mike Huckabee

reading #4, Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.

I just finished Ecology of a Cracker Childhood by Janisse Ray, a book that weaves her memoir of growing up in Southern poverty with chapters on natural history, specific on southern Long Leaf Pine ecosystems. A woman with whom I walk regularly recommended it to me.

And I'm still on a Campion kick. My latest in that detective series is The Fashion in Shrouds.

I am finishing up Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and For Those Who Want To Write Them by Francine Prose. Before that I read Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. It was a powerful succession of short stories that sort of wove themselves into a novel. It's one of those books whose characters stay with you. I find myself thinking about a few of the main characters as if they were real people. It certainly gave me a lot to ponder and affected my perspective on life.

Originally Posted by Stacia View Post

Currently, I'm reading: Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World -- fascinating stuff!

I really enjoyed this one too. It really is fascinating and readable.

I read that Genghis Khan book a year or two ago and remember enjoying it!

So I've read so far...

1. Love and Respect

2. Sink Reflections

3. Confessions of an Organized Homemaker

4. Organizing from the Inside Out

For this week, I need to reread The Hobbit and finish Composition in the Classical Tradition before it needs to go back to the library. I'm slowly making some progress with The Iliad as well.

Does My Head Look Big in This? I thoroughly enjoyed Mama's Bank Account and wished it was longer. My feelings were a little more mixed about the other, but it definitely was a worthwhile look at a teenager in Australia who chooses to wear the hijab.

My brother has been promising to lend me this one for over a year, I think! From what he said, it seems as though it was not a terribly well written book, but very important as the beginnings of Western Islamic teenage writing. Well, here in Australia, anyway. I wouldn't know about anywhere else.

This week I managed The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan and Ismail Kadare's The Siege. I enjoyed both. Poor old St Augustine was neglected this week. I think I managed one chapter and that was only two paragraphs. I usually read him on the weekends but we were away.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

So far I've read:

1. The Epic of Gilgamesh

2-4. The Isolde and Tristan Trilogy by Rosalind Miles

5. The Help

6. Fahenheit 451

7. I am still trudging through Don Quixote.

I am also reading Robin Hobb's Assasin's Apprentice. Why is Don Quixote so hard for me to get through?

My brother has been promising to lend me this one for over a year, I think! From what he said, it seems as though it was not a terribly well written book, but very important as the beginnings of Western Islamic teenage writing. Well, here in Australia, anyway. I wouldn't know about anywhere else.

Rosie

I think this one only recently was published in the US. A librarian friend of mine suggested it- I haven't really heard much about it here. Unfortunately, Scholastic Americanized it and took out almost everything that might have indicated that the book is Australian. I wish Scholastic wouldn't do that. And no, it's certainly not terribly well written. But still worth the time. I'd be interested in what you think about it if you read it.

I think this one only recently was published in the US. A librarian friend of mine suggested it- I haven't really heard much about it here. Unfortunately, Scholastic Americanized it and took out almost everything that might have indicated that the book is Australian. I wish Scholastic wouldn't do that. And no, it's certainly not terribly well written. But still worth the time. I'd be interested in what you think about it if you read it.

That's it! I'll go and harass my brother right now! Or maybe I should just give up and get it from the library :glare: Australia Day tomorrow; can I be bothered walking down to the library today, or shall I wait until Wednesday? It's 35C, it can wait until Wednesday!

Why on earth would Scholastic re-write so much of the book? Our dialects aren't so different as to be unintelligible!

:confused:

Rosie

Tonight, I started Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China by Leslie Change. I am on a non- fiction kick right now. This weekend I read Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer, which I so enjoyed. I am about at #8 of my own reading not including re-reading books for teen studies or read alouds with littles ( Matilda, again, and the third Mary Poppins, and we just started a book called Theodosia). My oldest begged me to read two Zombie books this month, so i did. Very interesting, but I have a stack of non -fiction by my bed so I can detox. Oh, I also read a haunting crime book by a Scottish writer. Trying to forget it. What's with Scottish crime writers? ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Just finished rereading Harry Potter 7 - and I know I said I wasn't going to count it because it was a re-read, but I changed my mind! I'm behind in the finishing of the books (not so in the beginning of the books!), and this one was much better the second time around, and I'm counting it.

Off to finish Emma and The Good Earth...

(and if I can complete them both before the end of the week, I will be caught up!)

I really enjoyed this one too. It really is fascinating and readable.

I read that Genghis Khan book a year or two ago and remember enjoying it!

It's great -- well-written & fascinating info. I saw it posted on this thread at some point & that's the reason I picked it up in the first place. :)

I read 4 books in the first 2 weeks, and am counting that for 4 weeks since I have so much going on. I figure averaging a book a week is what I'm aiming for & hope that that's okay.

I know there will be weeks when little to no reading gets done, so I am hoping that we can bump some of our extra books to make up for those weeks. ;)