Menu

I need "manly" book recommendations!!!

I'm looking for book recommendations for my husband. He reads constantly and/or listens to books on iPod while he's at work. He sometimes has his earphones in for nearly the full 8 hour day, so he really goes through audio books (and podcasts) and is hard for me to keep up with!

I'm looking for any recommendations that are man-friendly. I, sometimes, will go on a chick-flick book reading whim and, in the lack of having anything else to put on his iPod, he will drudge through something horrid (for him) like Twilight or The Notebook (that nearly did him in!!)... and I really hate doing that to him!!! :)

I recently heard there is a good series by Stephen King that is more of a mystery series than a horror series? Anyone maybe know what that series might be?

Or any good mystery series (poor guy had to listen to some of the Stephanie Plum/Kinsey Milhone books - something more manly, please, lol!!) - or suspense - thriller - classics that I've overlooked - historical fiction - biographies - histories - sci fi/fantasty...

Edited by orangearrow

Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, Jonathan Kellerman...any of those authors would be guy-friendly and all are mysteries.

I driven through a couple of states with Michael Crichton. Easy listening. Keeps your attention well enough, and minor lapses for road issues don't matter. MC lets you keep your mind on the road, while still keeping you from dosing off.

Dh is reading "Poland" by James Mitchener to me at the moment. I love that book, and finally managed to persuade him to read it. :shock: He's enjoying it too! This is a guy who doesn't believe in paper books and seems to believe he can learn everything he ever needs to know from Wikipedia and web comics. He only reads paper books if he's reading to me or the kids.

James Clavell's books are quite manly. Dh read what is probably the girliest of them aloud, "Escape" and really enjoyed it.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

by Lee Child. I've gotten many people (men and women) hooked on this series. Not my usual fare, but it sucks you in.

Also, Blindside, the book, is excellent, especially if your husband enjoys football.

The Jason Bourne series (Bourne Identity, Bourne Conspiracy, to name a couple) by Robert Ludlum, but make sure the books are by Robert Ludlum, not just based on his series.

Terri

The Jason Bourne series (Bourne Identity, Bourne Conspiracy, to name a couple) by Robert Ludlum, but make sure the books are by Robert Ludlum, not just based on his series.

Terri

:iagree: My dh just finished these. He's reading a Tom Clancy novel now, and seems to be enjoying it.

Ditto on the Bourne series, and all of Mitchener's novels (our favorites are Hawaii, Texas, Alaska, and The Source)

DH likes:

Tom Clancy

W.E.B. Griffen

John Le Carre: If he likes Cold War Era British spy novels...these are excellent - especially his older books like Smiley's People; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Russia House .... there are tonz of these books.

Also, when he was deployed, he read through the whole Harry Potter Series because my daughter asked him to read them....and he actually enjoyed them quite a bit!

Guest Virginia Dawn

Dh likes authors:

Tom Clancy

David McCullough

James Herriot

Patrick O'Brien

Some others he's read:

James Michener

Louis L'Amor

Clyde Cussler

What about Rex Stout, Ellery Queen, Isaac Asimov (Foundation Trilogy), Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clark?

He just finished End the Fed by Ron Paul

Pillars of the Earth is a girl book if I ever read one. Plus, I didn't like it one bit. That's a lot of pages to say nothing, I tell you. ;)
I agree, though I liked it :tongue_smilie:.

If your dh is into sci-fi, my favorite author is Timothy Zahn; my dh likes him, too - not sure if he is "manly", but he certainly isn't girly :tongue_smilie:. Isaac Asimov is also wonderful - one of the first sci-fi authors I read (thanks to my dad :)).

Awesome - thanks for the great suggestions!!

If your dh is into sci-fi, my favorite author is Timothy Zahn; my dh likes him, too - not sure if he is "manly", but he certainly isn't girly :tongue_smilie:.

DH loves Sci-Fi & fantasy. I think he's read a couple by Zahn and liked them - off to check the book lists to see what books he's written! :)

He'd read some of the Star Wars books, but I can't figure out what kind of order they're supposed to be in. And I'm totally anal about reading things in order, so...

DH doesn't need blood-and-guts or war books for the books to be "manly", btw. I guess what I'm really looking for are books that are definitely not "girlie". :lol: I had Outlander checked out from the library and nearly put that on his iPod last week!!! I need more book suggestions to save him from that! LOL I've blindly chosen some real duds in the past. These suggestions are so helpful! LOL He's read several that are on the list, but there are some authors that I either have never heard of, or forgotten about! :)

Edited by orangearrow

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard

1776 by David McCollough

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu by Laurence Bergreen

He might also like books by Terry Pratchett, if those are like his sense of humor...

(I agree w/ lots of the previous suggestions. And, I didn't like The Pillars of the Earth either. :tongue_smilie:)

CS Foresters Hornblower books have already been mentioned

ditto Patrick O'Brians Aubrey/Maturin series

Bob Mayer writes contemporary man adventure books (usually military swashbucklers but also spy & a bit of sci-fi) which are loads of fun. He writes under his own name as well as Joe Dalton, Robert Doherty, Greg Donegan & Bob McGuire (he writes more girlie books with Jennifer Cruisie)

Larry Niven's sci fi is some of my fave, esp the Ringworld series and the tales from the Known Space series.

Frank Herbert's Dune series.

Stanislaw Lem wrote some very cerebral, philosophical sci-fi and speculative fiction. Solaris, The Star Diaries, Cyberiad are all excellent.

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard

1776 by David McCollough

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu by Laurence Bergreen

He might also like books by Terry Pratchett, if those are like his sense of humor...

(I agree w/ lots of the previous suggestions. And, I didn't like The Pillars of the Earth either. :tongue_smilie:)

I must like manly books! I have read darn near every one of these. :)

Does he like British subjects?

Nick Hornby is good

There is a big 3 book biography of Winston Churchill that is the best biography that I've ever read (by a mile). The Last Lion by William Manchester.

Michael Dobbs also is good "First among Equals" is the only title I can remember of his, but he has written several.

Vince Flynn series, I saw someone already mentioned his main character, Mitch Rapp.

Lonesome Dove? It's l*o*n*g but you end up wishing it wouldn't end.

As far as Stephen King, I just listened to "Under The Dome" -- the narrator was excellent, as was the writing.

In Sci-Fi, the audio edition of "Ender's Game" is very well done.

According to these lists, I also prefer manly books and will be going back through to see what I'm missing. :) Here's a few more to add:

The Long Walk: A True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Rawicz (this is seriously one of the best books I've ever read--if you like adventuring books, don't miss this one).

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-True-Story-Freedom/dp/1592289444/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259660335&sr=8-1

Endeavour The Story of Captain Cook's First Great Epic Voyage by Peter Aughton

The Lost Men: The Harrowing Experience of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party

Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (very interesting but not for the squeamish or those who have recently lost loved ones).

The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula LeGuin..although the middle novel isn't as manly as the other two

Eragon, etc by Christopher Paolini

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (warning: eugenics theme)

My teen son just added The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp by Rick Yanckey to my reading pile.

Edited by Pippen

The Long Walk: A True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Rawicz (this is seriously one of the best books I've ever read--if you like adventuring books, don't miss this one).

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Walk-True-Story-Freedom/dp/1592289444/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259660335&sr=8-1

Oh so true. This is a really amazing book, right up there with the Shackleton/Endurance story. It has everything--politics, intrigue, romance (just a touch), a great escape, an amazing story of survival, heartbreak, a Yeti (seriously!). Definitely something for everyone.

Terri

If he's a sci-fi guy, have him try Brandon Sanderson. He has 2 stand-alone novels and a trilogy out right now (he also wrote the 12th book in Robert Jordon's Wheel of Time series and did a great job on it). My husband usually reads W.E.B. Griffin and Tom Clancy, but picked up the trilogy and is enjoying very much.

I love fantasy/sci fi so here are the authors I like that men would definitely like:

Asimov

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Dave Duncan

Tad Williams

Terry Goodkind

Orson Scott Card

George R.R. Martin

Douglas Adams

I also like spy-type/action books:

Vince Flynn

Harlan Coben

And I have to stop because I'm supposed to be homeschooling right now.

books my dh enjoys, mostly sci fi (I'll put an * in front of the ones that I like too):

everything by Turtledove

*Bio of a Space Tyrant series by Piers Anthony

*everything by Isaac Asimov

everything by Stephen Baxter

*Ender series by Orson Scott Card (first book in series was the best)

Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer (I can't stand it)

*Belisarius series by Eric Flint and David Drake

*1632 series by Eric Flint and assorted coauthors

Forever series by Haldeman

*Reality Dysfunction/Neutronium Alchemyst by Peter Hamilton

*Paratwa Saga by Christopher Hinz

*everything by James P. Hogan (only read the first 3 books in the Ganymede series though, he wrote the later books under protest)

books by Gary Jennings

everything by Neal Stephenson (be warned that he never really finishes any of his books)

everything by Jack McDevitt

*Intervention series by Julian May

*Pliocene Saga by Julian May

*everything by Larry Niven

*Antares series by Michael McCollom

*everything by H. Beam Piper

everything by Charles Sheffield

*everything by L. Neal Smith

everything by Ian Slater

everything by S.M. Stirling

everything by Harry Turtledove

everything by Timothy Zahn

Ooooh, more great suggestions! I've reserved a few of these from the library and I'm putting the rest in a Word Doc so I can check them off as he's read them! :) Thanks so much! He will thank you for saving him from having Pride & Prejudice slipped onto his iPod (for the 3rd time... heh).

If he's a sci-fi guy, have him try Brandon Sanderson. He has 2 stand-alone novels and a trilogy out right now (he also wrote the 12th book in Robert Jordon's Wheel of Time series and did a great job on it). My husband usually reads W.E.B. Griffin and Tom Clancy, but picked up the trilogy and is enjoying very much.

I LOVE Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn just might be my favorite series ever - it is wonderful!!!! DH has read everything he's written except Warbreaker (which I've read, but dh hasn't gotten to yet) and the WoT book (I started reading the series and knew dh would think they were too repetitive to read, so I haven't bothered. I might give him a synopsis and have him read Sanderson's book, though! LOL).

We've both read George R.R. Martin's Ice & Fire books too and loved them - just waiting on George to finish that series!!

I was going to post the exact same thread, so thanks! I'm reading through them and getting ideas for my dh.

Nobody has yet suggested my dh's favourite series.

The Bandy Papers by Donald Jack. Its a series of books, 7 in total. They start out in WWI and continue through to WWII. They're funny as heck, no blood and gore. *I* even love them!

The first one is called, "Three Cheers For Me"

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Three-Cheers-Me-Volume-One-Donald-Jack/9780771043802-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527bandy+papers+donald+jack%2527

To give you an idea of the things that happen to poor Bandy, he's sent out to raid German trenches. His LT, tired of Bandy's refusal to drink, fills his canteen with rum. Bandy, completely smashed, kidnaps what he thinks is a German commander. Instead, its his own! Bandy then proceeds to whack him with his metal helmet each time the CO starts to come to, brings him back to the trenches, and is given a hero's welcome for rescuing the CO!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I have recommended it to more people. I'm surprised it isn't more well-known.

Good recommendation.