Menu

WWYD if your teen was going to a church that has teachings you don't agree with?

Tap

Ds15 has gone to one church youth group since he was in 5th grade. We started at the private school they run when he was in 4th grade. They had very non-dom teachings in the school, and I was okay with that. In 5th grade he started AWANAs and has continued with that or youth group ever since. He truly loves his church family and the leaders there. It is the highlight of the week for him. I have noticed that the high school group is getting into more complex subjects (obviously expected) but I don't really agree with some of the teachings. We do not attend the Sunday services there because I do not agree with some of the adult teachings..they are Very legalistic. Dh and I don't attend church at all right now, just the kids. It is their choice and I do all I can to make sure they get there if they want to go.

One that conversation has stuck with me, was him coming home talking about a girl that another boy wanted to 'save from being a Mormon'. Ds seemed to be agreeing with the other boy and started telling me why LDS was a false faith. I do not agree with this...At All. I feel every faith that has a positive message has value and that it is not our right or job to 'save' people, from a faith they are secure in. I wholeheartedly agree that we should reach out to each other and share our belief with others, open the doors of communication, and encourage each other to live a good life. I don't think it is fair of a person to judge another's choice of religion, and to deem them inferior or weak due to their faith...requiring them to be saved.

How do you deal with situations like this? As an adult I wouldn't stay at a church that started going a direction with their teachings that I didn't like. In this circumstance ds and I talked about peoples individual rights to faith and respect for each other. But as a teen, he is so vulnerable. I grew up in 3 religions simultaneously, so I guess tolerance was a must for me to survive. (Seventh Day Adventist school, Assembly of God family church with mom, father was Lutheran).

I think one of the problems I am having is knowing that I do not like the adult message the church presents, so I expect this to come up more and more as he continues in the high school group.

On the other hand, this is a kid who attends public school and the highlight of his week....it church youth group. He will do anything to make sure he gets there. They have a great program and it is very Christ centered (unlike other groups he has visited that were more of a social hour). They have real discussions and it isn't just a repeat of the younger programs. They talk about teen issues and I feel the message is valuable.

WWYD? What have you done?

One that conversation has stuck with me, was him coming home talking about a girl that another boy wanted to 'save from being a Mormon'. Ds seemed to be agreeing with the other boy and started telling me why LDS was a false faith. I do not agree with this...At All. I feel every faith that has a positive message has value and that it is not our right or job to 'save' people, from a faith they are secure in. I wholeheartedly agree that we should reach out to each other and share our belief with others, open the doors of communication, and encourage each other to live a good life. I don't think it is fair of a person to judge another's choice of religion, and to deem them inferior or weak due to their faith...requiring them to be saved.

I would definitely discuss concerns about this attitude with him. I'm really not a fan of churches that promote feelings of ill will and (often) misinformation about other faiths. :glare: It's one thing to share your beliefs with the hope that the other person will be interested enough to ask more questions. It's quite another to actively try to destroy someone else's faith.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with him attending such a church and would probably ask him to look at other options....

If my son was attending a church that taught contrary to my beliefs, I would take him out. But then again, I don't allow my dc to attend a church until I've completely checked out their beliefs and what they teach, and am 100% ok with it.

It sounds like your son has developed a set of beliefs you don't agree with, and at his age, may not necessarily be eliminated by removing him from that church. It also sounds like you are going to have major resistance from him if you remove him from that group (He will do anything to make sure he gets there.)

If you do decide to pull him out I would suggest you have a replacement activity in there for him right away.

And honestly, expect him to grow firmer in his faith. If this bible study has taught him how to search the Word for answers to his questions, taking him out isn't going to change how he feels about other faiths.

Our kids will attend our family's church until it comes time for them to make an adult commitment to join it (usually mid-high school). If they choose not to join, they will be free at that point to explore other options. If they decide to join another church, that's their prerogative but I don't want to hear any theological arguments.

My parents belong to different denominations. My 2 brothers and I were raised in my dad's church as that was a one of the conditions to my folks getting married. I joined my dad's church, my youngest brother decided to join my mom's church, and my other brother considers himself to be a Christian but does not currently belong to any church.

My first answer is "it depends", but, after reading what the issue is? My answer would be "take him out". The last church we went to presented a sermon (by the head pastor) about how tattoos were unbiblical. :glare:

I don't have tattoos and I don't WANT tattoos, but I don't give a flip if OTHER people have them. And,....I do NOT consider tattoos biblical/unbiblical. I think of them as a cultural thing, that's it.

Anyway, I was just perturbed that he would waste time PREACHING ABOUT HIS OWN OPINION on something that, really, imo....does not matter.

If this happened and my kid heard it we would just talk about it, but what YOU are talking about is actually, imo, dangerous theology.

So, for my kids, for my family....it would have to be addressed.

He is 15. Although you may not agree with some of the positions of this church, he is almost an adult. Taking him out now is likely to cause a serious disagreement in the family and is not likely to change his mind on this issue. Not only that, but if this is his one social activity, he may decide to rebel and decide if I can't do a respectable activity, why not a not respectable activity? Engage in a conversation and talk about how your beliefs are different.

It doesn't matter which way our beliefs are - our children may adopt others. The best way to influence a teen is to model the behavior you want and talking with them.

I think that you are going to have a hard time convincing him that your religious beliefs are the "right" ones when you and your dh are not attending any church. In his eyes, that is going to make you less credible. Your best course of action at this point is a lot of conversation and a lot of listening. If you do decide to pull him from this group, you should have a similar substitute and, perhaps, consider getting the whole family involved.

:grouphug: Brigitte

I agree with Brigette (whose name I hopefully spelled correctly). Also... well... if you could refute that argument with scripture, then you might bring him around to your way of thinking.

Balancing who is a Christian and who isn't, between denominations that vary so greatly, is a tight rope walk. You might ask your ds if Mormans believe Christ is their Lord and Savior. That would be a good place to start. If his arguments aren't based on that, then even he will see the difference.

As far as saving others, encouraging your son to do Bible Studies might be a good thing, as well. If he wants to study with someone of a different denomination, to find out where their differences lie, then both he and the other person could learn quite a bit.

I would not take him out, but it's because I can see where he and his church are coming from.

I think that you are going to have a hard time convincing him that your religious beliefs are the "right" ones when you and your dh are not attending any church. In his eyes, that is going to make you less credible. Your best course of action at this point is a lot of conversation and a lot of listening. If you do decide to pull him from this group, you should have a similar substitute and, perhaps, consider getting the whole family involved.

:grouphug: Brigitte

:iagree:

One that conversation has stuck with me, was him coming home talking about a girl that another boy wanted to 'save from being a Mormon'. Ds seemed to be agreeing with the other boy and started telling me why LDS was a false faith.

He is 15. IMO he should be allowed to believe as he feels best. OTOH he should know more about the LDS faith from the LDS before he makes judgment. Mormon.org will give a lot of info or contacting missionaries in the area and having them teach him will give the basis of LDS beliefs.

...as with most things with kids, you should think of an alternative before taking this away.

I would have difficulty with sending my DD to a youth group with a strong focus on decision theology as well, although the specific teaching about LDS that you mention I happen to share. But, when DD goes to something that is Christian but does not agree with me, we talk about the specific areas of disagreement beforehand and afterwards, and I have never made an extended longterm commitment to something in that category.

Having said that, at some point she is going to have to deal with this stuff more or less on her own. We are conservative Lutherans, and I am seriously considering sending her to a Catholic school. I have skimmed the textbooks that are used for religion classes in that school, and I expect to have a lot of discussions with DD about our differences, but I also recognize and respect the Christian nature of the Roman Catholic church and expect her to be respectful in class (much to her relief. She was apprehensively thinking that I EXPECTED her to argue every point of difficulty. I emphatically do not.)

However, I would not send her to a Catholic youth group, or a nondenom one either. We don't have a junior high program at our church, so I take her on junior high retreats that welcome individuals as well as groups. It is a big, somewhat uncomfortable commitment for me, but I believe she needs something like that. I sympathize with your wanting Christian friends for your DS, and I think you may have to accept this group for now unless you can come up with a good alternative.

I feel every faith that has a positive message has value and that it is not our right or job to 'save' people, from a faith they are secure in. I wholeheartedly agree that we should reach out to each other and share our belief with others, open the doors of communication, and encourage each other to live a good life. I don't think it is fair of a person to judge another's choice of religion, and to deem them inferior or weak due to their faith...requiring them to be saved.

I think he's run into the fact that most Christians believe there is one way to have eternal life, i.e., thru belief in Jesus Christ. Therefore, not every religion can be correct. FWIW, according to every Christian denomination that I am aware of, he is erroneous in thinking he or anyone else can "save" another person; the orthodox Christian position is that we are simply to present the Gospel, and the rest is up to God. So perhaps you aren't that far from each other's position after all.

I grew up in 3 religions simultaneously, so I guess tolerance was a must for me to survive. (Seventh Day Adventist school, Assembly of God family church with mom, father was Lutheran).

I would state this as you grew up in 3 different denominations, not religions. Every one of these has the basic belief in Jesus Christ as God. They are all mainstream Christian, and have more in common than not. Mormonism seems to have a lot in common with orthodox Christian belief, but varies on a central premise.

He is 15. IMO he should be allowed to believe as he feels best. OTOH he should know more about the LDS faith from the LDS before he makes judgment. Mormon.org will give a lot of info or contacting missionaries in the area and having them teach him will give the basis of LDS beliefs.

Out of the frying pan into the fire?

I'm not a fan of religions that denounce other religions. I've been the Mormon girl people were trying to "save" and it's not a pleasant conversation.

But I really don't see how having the OP's son talk to the missionaries is going to help her situation. It's not as if LDS beliefs line up with her beliefs either.

See this is why to me it is so important that we as families should teach our children not only through our words, but through our actions as well and to guard our children against things we see as false.

If you sent your child to a church that you yourself wouldn't attend as an adult, you should have expected at some point to have a problem with what your child is being taught. What was your reasoning behind sending him there? Was is because you thought he was too young to absorb it? Believe me, young minds are sponges. I hope this doesn't come off as critical, truely I don't. I hope it might open some eyes to protecting their little ones.

At this point, it seems as if he has developed a belief system and your only hope now is to get yourself established in a church that you feel strongly about and lovingly bring him along side. He may feel that your church is not correct, but I suspect at this point he is old enough to make his own logical thoughts about it. Most everyone gets to this point eventually.

If we want our children to follow in our footsteps, we have to lead.

God Bless,

Michelle

Ds15 has gone to one church youth group since he was in 5th grade. We started at the private school they run when he was in 4th grade. They had very non-dom teachings in the school, and I was okay with that. In 5th grade he started AWANAs and has continued with that or youth group ever since. He truly loves his church family and the leaders there. It is the highlight of the week for him. I have noticed that the high school group is getting into more complex subjects (obviously expected) but I don't really agree with some of the teachings. We do not attend the Sunday services there because I do not agree with some of the adult teachings..they are Very legalistic. Dh and I don't attend church at all right now, just the kids. It is their choice and I do all I can to make sure they get there if they want to go.

How do you deal with situations like this? As an adult I wouldn't stay at a church that started going a direction with their teachings that I didn't like. In this circumstance ds and I talked about peoples individual rights to faith and respect for each other. But as a teen, he is so vulnerable. I grew up in 3 religions simultaneously, so I guess tolerance was a must for me to survive. (Seventh Day Adventist school, Assembly of God family church with mom, father was Lutheran).

I think one of the problems I am having is knowing that I do not like the adult message the church presents, so I expect this to come up more and more as he continues in the high school group.

On the other hand, this is a kid who attends public school and the highlight of his week....it church youth group. He will do anything to make sure he gets there. They have a great program and it is very Christ centered (unlike other groups he has visited that were more of a social hour). They have real discussions and it isn't just a repeat of the younger programs. They talk about teen issues and I feel the message is valuable.

If you refuse to allow him to attend this church any longer because of it's teaching, aren't you doing what offends you most at this time? You've allowed him to go, now he is making decisions about other faiths based on what he's learned, and he has concerns about others beliefs. You don't want him to make judgements, but you will judge his beliefs?

Some intriguing thoughts indeed!

Just to clarify....

I have allowed both children to attend youth services at this church because the youth programs try hard to teach stories and are non-dom. They use AWANAs programs, but other than that I haven't ever had a problem with details clashing before.

A year ago, the high school program's original youth pastor left to follow a calling in family counseling, and there is a new pastor. He brings some interesting messages to the kids (I listen in sometimes) and keeps the program inviting and uplifting. There are over 40 high school kids who attend this youth group in a smallish church on a regular basis, so they are definitely doing something right!

I do think that the majority of the messages are of basic Christian teachings. He talks a lot about 'walking the walk' and heavily emphasises peoples actions 24hours a day, not just thoughts as being a Christian. Last week they went as a group and collected canned food door-to-door. In 1 hour of work they gleaned 2-300lbs of food. Last month they went and made sandwiches to hand out to the hungry/homeless. They find service opportunities to do durning youth group time instead of other churches who organize fun activities only. They are doing a 'distraction fast' right now for 30 days, eliminating the things in life that take away from worship time. Ds has given up online gaming. There is great value in the program.

This is why we stay. Ds and I talk about faith and teachings a few times a week, so we do have open dialogue. I don't think any church will agree 100% with my beliefs, so I don't think that it is as simple as putting him in another group. I don't think he has to agree with me 100% anyways, I just want to know how others handle situations like this. This is just a particular topic that means a lot to me. I am certain others have had times when they find their own church teaching ideas that don't sit right. He attends programs with friends in different churches sometimes, and says that the ones he has been to have been too much about the kids, and not enough about Christ.

For those who say my kids shouldn't be attending a church without me....Then they wouldn't be going at all, and I don't think that is a better option. I don't plan to return to church anytime soon, but I do give my kids the chance to go if they want to, it is very much their choice. I researched a lot of programs before selecting this one, trying to find one that would be as non-dom as possible, and accepting of them, without me.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

The way I handle things like this is to go to the source - the Biblical source that is. I would look up verses on salvation, on witnessing and on what makes teaching true or false. I will make sure I have no unconfessed sin in my life (my own belief is that I'm not able to be taught while I have unconfessed sin in my life). Then I will ask God the Holy Spirit to teach me, and I will try to really be open to what the Bible says even if it shakes up my preconceived beliefs (as it often does). When I am absolutely positive that I understand what the Bible says on a topic (as much as a flawed person can be absolutely positive) then I will teach my children what I've learned. I may teach them by having them look up the verses just as I did on my own (or with dh).

This is tough, but I would let him stay.

If you have questions about the teachings, make an appointment with the youth pastor and your son to sit down and discuss these issues and look at them Biblically. The BIBLE is my standard, not what denomination x says or Pastor Y. My standard is---can they back up what they are saying with scripture and is there any scripture that refutes their position. Some areas I will agree to disagree with someone on--as they are more persona preferences than actual scriptural issues. Other issues I feel that the Bible speaks very clearly on and I won't budge on those---doesn't meet I don't like and care for the person or respect them, just that I can not agree with them on some issues.

Honestly it sounds like you have a very caring and mature young man for a son.

The way I handle things like this is to go to the source - the Biblical source that is. I would look up verses on salvation, on witnessing and on what makes teaching true or false. I will make sure I have no unconfessed sin in my life (my own belief is that I'm not able to be taught while I have unconfessed sin in my life). Then I will ask God the Holy Spirit to teach me, and I will try to really be open to what the Bible says even if it shakes up my preconceived beliefs (as it often does). When I am absolutely positive that I understand what the Bible says on a topic (as much as a flawed person can be absolutely positive) then I will teach my children what I've learned. I may teach them by having them look up the verses just as I did on my own (or with dh).

Great advice :)

Do I understand that another teenager said this to your ds? He may or may not have learned that at this program, but rather that child's parents may have said something about it. I don't know obviously, but in that case it would be no different than a situation at school KWIM? Our kids come in contact with alot of people day to day and they all believe differently than we do on some things. How would you handle this if it were something at school that you did not agree with? Could you bring it up with the leaders and tell them about your concerns about the way the kids are handling this?

It may be a great time for your ds to learn the right way and the wrong way to go about sharing his beliefs with others. Since he is 15 there may not be much that you can say or do that will convince him that he and his friends are going about this in a way that will not end the way they hope.

On another note it sounds like you have found a great program with leaders that truly care about the kids and their hearts. Our church has a 'social hour' type program for the older kids, and we are going to have to find a different program for them when they are older if this continues. It is sad really.

I'm sorry, but why did you set yourself up for this situation?

:iagree:This situation is exactly why I've never allowed Diva to simply attend some of the youth groups offered in nearby churches. Until/unless we find a church we are at home in, and agreement with, that won't change.

My eldest does not believe the same way that I do. She and I have had some extremely intelligent, calm conversations. She understands why I believe the way that I do. I understand why she believes the way she does. She is old enough to make her own decisions about religious matters. I would suggest that you share your thoughts with your son. Let him know how you feel about matters. I have found that if you approach topics while respecting their right to their opinion that teens will listen. They may even be influenced because of their respect for you. Or, you may find yourself seeing things from their side. (Depending on the issue of course!)

I'm in your shoes. DS13 attends youth group with a neighbor friend on Wednesdays and goes to the youth group functions at our church on Sundays. His friend's church is Evangelical Something and we are Episcopal, so occasionally doctrine doesn't quite line up.

When these mismatches in theology occur, DS and I discuss them and i always tell him to go back and see what the Bible says about the subject. If it's not in the Bible, then it's just somebody's opinion and he should weight it accordingly.

So I would just keep letting him attend and discuss the points that come up that are different.

You want to take him out of a church because you believe that any faith is an acceptable choice but that faith (his chosen faith) teaches that it is the only way to God and that another faith is not a valid way to God and that it is good to make that point known to others.

Do you see the problem?

Edited by katemary63

If the decision were mine to make, I would let him stay in the youth group. It sounds like he is definitely benefiting from the experience in many ways. However, if you feel that it is causing him to develop intolerant attitudes towards those of other faiths, it might be a good idea to find ways to counteract this particular negative affect. Perhaps by asking him to learn a little bit about other faiths (including Mormonism) from the appropriate source; members of those faiths. Either he or you could explain to them beforehand that he is not interested in conversion to their faith or theological debates, you just want him to gain a little more familiarity with people who believe differently than he does. Familiarity with good people with whom you disagree is generally the best teacher of respect for those of differing opinions.

As a side note, I too have been that girl. When I was about ten a friend of mine came to me in tears because a preacher had told her that I was going to hell for being a Mormon. I was pretty confused, having never encountered this belief before. I asked her if I'd done something wrong, and she said no. Then I asked her if God sends people to hell who haven't done anything wrong, and she said no. But when I asked, "Well then why would He send me to hell?" she burst into tears, "Because Preacher So-and-so said so!" We talked for a while longer, but I think I only succeeded in confusing her.

I would let him stay. It sounds like he's just hearing the basic structure of a lot of Christian faiths, which is that Jesus is the only way to Heaven. There's no way around that if that's the faith of the church that he is attending. Maybe he could have learned it in better terms than "saving that Mormon girl". And maybe he did but repeated it incorrectly. I know what he's talking about......if you believe that Jesus is the only way to Heaven, then any other way will not result in Heaven. It's a matter of caring for and wanting only the best for those you love......for them to have a home in Heaven one day.

It sounds like the program truly does have some wonderful qualities. The distraction fast sounds awesome! If you want, why don't you go sit in and observe a few times. It may mortify your teen, but sometimes that is what a parent has to do.

I know that when I was 15, if my parents had tried to pull me out of my youth group, I would have had a conniption fit. It was my place where I could socialize, where I could worship God and learn more about him, where I could relax. I looked forward to every meeting, every outing, ever church service. If you do pull him out, you may want to be prepared for one angry teenager.

There is a great deal of temptation to send children to the "strong youth groups" in "nondenominational" churches.

Your situation is case in point as to why this is a temptation to be resisted.

Nondenominational almost never means "we are compatible with all Christian denominations". Nondenominational usually means "we are too headstrong and dogmatic in our unique interpretation of scripture to function within any denomination".

The true purpose of their "inclusive, nondenominational" youth groups is to recruit vulnerable young people to their unique perspective.

Now your kid is absorbing their legalistic, antagonistic views toward other denominations, and you've got a rough row to hoe. I'm really sorry.

I'm not going to ask you why you sent your kid to this youth group. I understand why. Those groups are masters of PR and recruitment.

The current question should be "Where do you go from here?" I don't know the answer, but I'll be thinking about it. I could wind up facing the same problem one day.

My daughter goes to a monthly Bible study at the home of a friend of hers whose parent's views don't precisely mesh with ours. We discuss the curriculum and the material covered at the study every single time she returns from one of these "lessons". It's very authoritarian, and I have no desire to raise a mindless little drone or a mini-hitler. She's there to glean what is good, and enjoy her friends. I figure she's old enough to be exposed to ideas that differ from ours, as long as we make those differences crystal clear.

I would let him stay. It sounds like he's just hearing the basic structure of a lot of Christian faiths, which is that Jesus is the only way to Heaven. There's no way around that if that's the faith of the church that he is attending. Maybe he could have learned it in better terms than "saving that Mormon girl". And maybe he did but repeated it incorrectly. I know what he's talking about......if you believe that Jesus is the only way to Heaven, then any other way will not result in Heaven. It's a matter of caring for and wanting only the best for those you love......for them to have a home in Heaven one day.

That's fine and all, but see--LDS folks believe that too. Mormons believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior. Trying to 'save a Mormon girl' is going to confuse her quite a bit. ("You need to become a Christian!" "Uh, I am a Christian." "No you're not." "Huh?") I realize that many people don't agree with us, and we do have many differing beliefs (that's why we aren't Methodists)--but we are Christians.

Respectfully and openly sharing religious beliefs and talking about them is great. Aggressively trying to destroy someone's faith is not. Missionary work is not about trying to forcibly change someone.

I do think it might be a good idea to have him study other faiths by attending services and speaking with members--not to change his faith, but to help him see that there are good people everywhere, doing their best to follow God's teachings. I take my kids to other churches when I can and we all enjoy it--that's how I was raised too.

There is a great deal of temptation to send children to the "strong youth groups" in "nondenominational" churches.

Your situation is case in point as to why this is a temptation to be resisted.

Nondenominational almost never means "we are compatible with all Christian denominations". Nondenominational usually means "we are too headstrong and dogmatic in our unique interpretation of scripture to function within any denomination".

I'm not going to ask you why you sent your kid to this youth group. I understand why. Those groups are masters of PR and recruitment.

Great points, well put.

And it can be annoying to identify as Christian in the large sense of the word and be tarred with the non-denom brush and all its attendant political views. I want that word back! It's a SUBSET of Christians, not the definition of Christians!

And it can be annoying to identify as Christian in the large sense of the word and be tarred with the non-denom brush and all its attendant political views. I want that word back! It's a SUBSET of Christians, not the definition of Christians!

One of my big pet peeves is when people say thing along the lines of: "I was raised [insert name of Christian denomination] but now I'm a Christian." :thumbdown: