Menu

Just for fun: post 5 things from your Amazon wishlist

I want to see what everyone has on their book wishlist! So if you have one at Amazon or wherever, post a few titles. This doesn't mean that you plan to buy the books; if you're like me, you use your wishlist to make library requests, too. :001_smile:

Rules:

1) Post 5 random titles.

2) They must be off the first page of the wishlist (most recent)--I know you all have multiple-page lists. Ideally, post the very top title first.

Here are mine:

Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (#1, not yet published)

Marriage and Caste in America: Separate and Unequal Families in a Post-Marital Age by Kay S. Hymowitz

Puffin Book of Classic Indian Tales by Meera Uberoi

Tinsel: A Search for America's Christmas Present by Hank Stuever

Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves by Crystal Renn

Here are mine:

Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones (#1, not yet published)

Marriage and Caste in America: Separate and Unequal Families in a Post-Marital Age by Kay S. Hymowitz

Puffin Book of Classic Indian Tales by Meera Uberoi

Tinsel: A Search for America's Christmas Present by Hank Stuever

Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves by Crystal Renn

Great list!

Here are mine:

Non-Adhesive Binding Books without Paste or Glue - Keith A. Smith

Interweave Presents Crocheted Gifts: Irresistible Projects to Make & Give - Kim Werker

The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Withinby Stephen Fry (Author)

The Boy Mechanic: 200 Classic Things to Build (Boy Mechanics Series)by The Editors of Popular Mechanics (Author)

Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permacultureby Toby Hemenway (Author), John Todd (Foreword)

I'll play :001_smile:

1) WAR - definitive visual guide by DK

2) SEA SICK - global ocean in crisis by Allanna Mitchell

3) BEAUTIFUL JOE - Marshall Saunders

4) IDIOT AMERICA - how stupidity became a virtue in the land of the free by Charles Pierce

5) SHAKESPEARE'S BAWDY - Eric Partridge

I'll play :001_smile:

1) WAR - definitive visual guide by DK

2) SEA SICK - global ocean in crisis by Allanna Mitchell

3) BEAUTIFUL JOE - Marshall Saunders

4) IDIOT AMERICA - how stupidity became a virtue in the land of the free by Charles Pierce

5) SHAKESPEARE'S BAWDY - Eric Partridge

Sea Sick reminds me.... I've been meaning to ask if you might have book recs for a boy who has read all the Horatio Hornblower books (twice) and most of the Patrick O'Brian books. We just finished listening to The Voyage of the Narhwal by Andrea Barrett, too. Any ideas.

And sorry for the hijack, but inquiring minds want to know...!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I have this one. Love it! (I wish for one with formulas for pants that fit my personal shape as well as the skirts do.:tongue_smilie:)

Happy to hear it! Try this one for pants. I was thinking of getting it if the skirts went well. The cover looks questionable and a bit dated but the reviews inspire me. :001_smile:

The Annotated Anne of Green Gables

The ABC's and All Their Tricks

Young, Restless and Reformed: A Journalist's Journey with the New Calvinists

The Jesus You Can't Ignore - John MacArthur

Handbook of Nature Study (I just have this one there to remind me to look for an older used version sometimes)

1) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR Fourth Edition (Text Revision)

2) Inside Out Study Guide by Lawrence J. Crabb (Author)

3) Inside Out by Lawrence J. Crabb (Author)

4) The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner (PracticePlanne​rs®)

5) Malignant Self Love: Narcissism Revisited

Mine is full of lots of things you would recognize from posts here. A sample:

-History: The Definitive Visual Guide (From The Dawn of Civilization To The Present Day) by Adam Hart-Davis

-Bartholomew's Passage: A Family Story for Advent by Arnold Ytreeide

-Olivia: The Essential Latin Edition by Ian Falconer

-Mythology by Edith Hamilton

-The Usborne Internet-linked​ Science Encyclopedia by Judy Tatchell

1. The Doom of the Haunted Opera: A Lewis Barnavelt Book (John Bellairs Mysteries) by John Bellairs (Author), et al.

2. In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World by Virginia Hamilton (Author), Barry Moser (Illustrator)

3. Marduk the Mighty: And Other Stories of Creation by Andrew Matthews (Author)

4. The Questing Knights of the Faerie Queen by Geraldine McCaughrean

5. Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook by James Talmage Stevens (Author)

This is my dd's list which is also on Amazon:

1. Grimus: A Novel (Modern Library Paperbacks) by Salman Rushdie (Author)

2. Ariel: The Restored Edition: A Facsimile of Plath's Manuscript, Reinstating Her Original Selection and Arrangement by Sylvia Plath (Author)

3. Plato's Republic (complete) by Plato (Author), et al.

4. Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (Author)

5. Marriage of Heaven & Hell by William Blake

Of course, this doesn't even begin to put a dent in the books I want. It just happens to be the top five on my Amazon list which means the next ones I will buy from that source. I also belong to several book clubs, and buy books at second hand places and Sam's and Walmart and such.

I didn't realize until now that my wish list has become mostly DVD's. I had to search through a bunch of them to find the books, LOL...

Classic Poetry: Candlewick Illustrated Classic, by Michael Rosen and Paul Howard

The Legend of Saint Nicholas, by Demi

Sleds on Boston Common: A Story from the American Revolution, by Louise Borden

Tales From the Odyssey CD Collection, by Mary Pope Osborne

Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers, by Gordon Neufeld

And just added this one: Who Was Pablo Picasso?, by True Kelley (It's the only one of the series that we don't have yet :))

Edited by hsmom3tn

The Indian Vegan Kitchen - I'm waiting for reviews on that one. The blurb doesn't make it clear if it uses soy substitutes or not.

I am Reading Latin Stories

But and For, Yet and Nor: What is a Conjunction? -Waiting for this in paperback

Skin Like Milk, Hair Like Silk: What are Similies and Metaphors? -Ditto

Asian Herbs and Vegetables: How to Identify, Use and Grow them in Australia

:)

Rosie

Five on my wishlist:

The Empress of Mars (novel, not novella) by Kage Baker

The Women of Nell Gwynne's by Kage Baker

Not Less than Gods by Kage Baker

Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis

Uncle Silas by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (replacement copy... cannot find mine)

Five from the kid's general list:

A Posse of Princesses by Sherwood Smith

Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer by Laini Taylor

Crusade by Elizabeth Laird

Gatty's Tale by Kevin Crossley-Holland

Henry by Nina Bawden

You will not regret this purchase! It is both deep and easy-readable at the same time, and has useful list upon chart upon list. It is probably the most inspiring book I purchased last year.

I should just buy it. I have checked it out from the library a million times! Do you have a permaculture garden, too?

I should just buy it. I have checked it out from the library a million times! Do you have a permaculture garden, too?

Not yet, but am in the panning stages. We live off the grid and have spent so much time on the house that the yard stuff has languished. It used to drive me nuts, but now I am thankful I did not invest in any of my non-permaculture schemes! I have basically a blank slate. I am now looking over my books, drawing up lots of stuff, and getting the kids interested in chickens (so that they can care for them!). So much fun! How about you?

The New Moosewood Cookbook (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking) by Mollie Katzen (Author)

Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking by Stephanie O'Dea (Author)

A World Champion's Guide to Chess: Step-by-step instructions for winning chess the Polgar way by Susan Polgar (Author), Paul Truong (Author)

Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason by Nancy Pearl (Author)

The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh (Author)

New Directions in Altered Books by Gabe Cyr (Author)

Kites Sail High (Heller, Ruth, Ruth Heller World of Language.) by Ruth Heller (Author)

Tried and True Recipes from a Caterer's Kitchen - The Secrets of Great Foods by Erdosh George (Author)

Come Look With Me: Animals in Art by Gladys S. Blizzard (Author)

The Crafter's Complete Guide to Collage by Amanda Pearce (Author)

Guest Virginia Dawn

Hebrews for Everyone- Neil Lightfoot

More than Conquerors- Hendrickson

The Encyclopedia of Country Living

The Readers Digest big book of Christmas songs for piano (out of print)

That's it for now.

Not yet, but am in the panning stages. We live off the grid and have spent so much time on the house that the yard stuff has languished. It used to drive me nuts, but now I am thankful I did not invest in any of my non-permaculture schemes! I have basically a blank slate. I am now looking over my books, drawing up lots of stuff, and getting the kids interested in chickens (so that they can care for them!). So much fun! How about you?

Oh! You're the off-the-grid girl! I get posters confused sometimes. I have enjoyed reading your posts about what it's really like to be off the grid. I live in the city, on an ordinary sized lot, but we have a very-small-scale perma-culture-ish garden going on. I've been working in this direction for about 5 years or so.

5 from my list:

The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Historical Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition by Boyd/Eddy

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers by Bernays/Painter (this book rocks, wannabe writers!)

Summer at Tiffany by Majorie Hart

If All the Swords in England: A Story of Thomas Becket (Living History Library) by Barbara Willard

I also have every Brother Cadfael book--except for the first one--because I want to own the series.

Off the top....

Mastering the Art of French Cooking Boxed Set (Julia Child)

Wreck this Journal (Keri Smith)

The Golden Legend: Readings on the Saints Vol 2 (Jacobus de Voragine)

Bernini (Rudolph Wittkower)

Staging Your Comeback: A Complete Beauty Guide for Women over 45 (Christopher Hopkins)

Edited by Janet in Toronto

Unsolved Mysteries of American History: An Eye-Opening Journey through 500 Years of Discoveries, Disappearances,​ and Baffling Events by Paul Aron

The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy by Rick Beyer

A People's History of the United States, Abridged Teaching Edition, Updated Edition by Howard Zinn (Author)

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen (Author)

Michigan, the Great Lakes State: An Illustrated History by George S. May (Author), Joellen Vinyard (Author)