Menu

Facebook vs. WTM boards

I've had a bad attitude about Facebook. Many of my friends are on it. I've noticed that is how they all keep in touch. There are things about that kind of social networking that seem artificial to me and I've resisted. Enough said, bc this isn't really my point!

I have over 1000 posts on the boards though! I enjoy asking questions and checking in daily on a message board with ladies I don't even know!! Yesterday, when the boards were down I thought about it and it cracked me up! I find the boards invaluable, bc so many are trying to provide a rigorous education for their children. It is the best homeschool support group!

Edited by LNC

I agree. I'm not on Facebook either. To each their own, but I've got enough things to keep up with already. Plus, I don't like that my personal information is just all hanging out there for anyone to look at.

You decide how private you want your FB to be. You can set it so that only your approved friends can see your page. Just an FYI. :001_smile:

You decide how private you want your FB to be. You can set it so that only your approved friends can see your page. Just an FYI. :001_smile:

:iagree: The privacy settings options don't just jump out at you, but once you find it you can lock it down tight. Or open it up for the whole world to see, which is what I did for a short spell when I was messing with stbx's gf.

For me it's apples & oranges. I used to be a regular on a different board (I got up to 5000 posts!)...but FB is way better for me, because I'm connecting with people who are in my life. I like it here, though, because of all the great discussion and info about homeschooling and curriculum--I don't get that in real life, even with my homeschooling friends! :) To each her own, though. :)

For me it's apples & oranges. I used to be a regular on a different board (I got up to 5000 posts!)...but FB is way better for me, because I'm connecting with people who are in my life. I like it here, though, because of all the great discussion and info about homeschooling and curriculum--I don't get that in real life, even with my homeschooling friends! :) To each her own, though. :)

This is how I feel too. Plus I stay anonymous on this board so I ask all sorts of personal questions and share personal info that I would never share on FB.

For me, both are important. I keep up with family and friends on Facebook, since I don't see them regularly. And I keep up with homeschooling and support and encouragement from all of you here. I like them both, although I could see myself wasting a TON of time if I'm not careful! So, I check in the morning and then at night. If I have time during the afternoon, I might check then, but, I try not to too much.

Nothing was learned or shared in an effort to help others. It was simply a wast of time. I don't care to update each time I sip coffee, neither do I care to know the same about others.

This forum has provided me with an invaluable amount of information and support and has allowed me to share the same with others.

Facebook no more. I keep in touch with those who are important to me. I don't need Facebook for that. :)

Nothing was learned or shared in an effort to help others. It was simply a wast of time. I don't care to update each time I sip coffee, neither do I care to know the same about others.

This forum has provided me with an invaluable amount of information and support and has allowed me to share the same with others.

Facebook no more. I keep in touch with those who are important to me. I don't need Facebook for that. :)

:iagree:

I get bored with it easily as there is not any actual discussion of any topics? I mean, it is nice to locate people you have lost touch with, but other than that..

I like the lively and pertinent discussions here. :)

ITA. I can't handle the visually and mentally overwhelming "snippets and bits" approach. I have an account just so I can see others' photos when they insist I do so, and on the infrequent occasion that I log on, I can only stand it for a few minutes before I have to get off. If I want to keep in touch with my family, I can always email them.

I prefer this board because I feel like I'm learning valuable things here. I like the support element as well. Not everyone IRL is supportive of the way we live our life, and I don't need to give anyone else a place to comment on that!

I like Facebook, not only to keep up with old friends, but there's a few educational games my kids and I play (on my profile, they don't have their own). There's a wonderful geography game that you can't get anywhere but Facebook (and I've looked). We use it almost daily.

For those of you who are worried about privacy, check out this link. FB has several privacy options, like letting only certain people see posts, photos, etc. You can sort your friends into different groups, and change settings to let only certain groups see your info. Settings can also be changed so people (or certain people) can't search for you. http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/

I like Facebook, not only to keep up with old friends, but there's a few educational games my kids and I play (on my profile, they don't have their own). There's a wonderful geography game that you can't get anywhere but Facebook (and I've looked). We use it almost daily.

For those of you who are worried about privacy, check out this link. FB has several privacy options, like letting only certain people see posts, photos, etc. You can sort your friends into different groups, and change settings to let only certain groups see your info. Settings can also be changed so people (or certain people) can't search for you. http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/

How do you get to the geography game?

And I agree about the privacy settings. I thought I had them all figured out, but JUST tonight discovered I can decide who can see that I am available for chat and who can't see me. I have a friend turned stalker so I've made up a new list name for him alone...I call it 'ug.'

I too thought FB would different when I signed on. I get bored with it easily as there is not any actual discussion of any topics? I mean, it is nice to locate people you have lost touch with, but other than that..

:iagree: I was finally sucked into fb a few months ago and I thought it would be like a couple forums (this being one) where I am a member. Not so much...interesting to be sure, but such little tidbits that it all seems rather pointless. I really hope that is not the shallow depth of most young people's relationships these days.

How do you get to the geography game?

I'm not sure how to link to it, but if you type "Geo Challenge" into the FB search, it'll come up. It has 3 different games: World, Europe, and America. The World one is free, but the other two cost money ($6 or $7 I think). I ended up paying for both, but we actually play the free one the most.

I'm not sure how to link to it, but if you type "Geo Challenge" into the FB search, it'll come up. It has 3 different games: World, Europe, and America. The World one is free, but the other two cost money ($6 or $7 I think). I ended up paying for both, but we actually play the free one the most.

Thanks!

Not only does it let me stay connected with people as we move in our various military orbits, but I feel like they are connecting with me as a real person, not just as an avatar. There is a bit of shared history that I haven't been feeling here for a while.

I also don't feel like I am going to get the smack down that I've seen folks here occasionally get.

They are both tools, with advantages and disadvantages. But I've been feeling less satisfied here for several months. FB has been filling the personal connection void for me. It has let me leave this as a place for mostly curriculum research rather than validation.

I have an FB account but honestly, I find it quite boring...the apps, the silly quizzes (which member of the Beatles am I most like? I don't really care.), the pointless updates (I'm cooking dinner, I'm taking a shower, I'm scratching my behind). Are ANY of us really THAT important that we need to give a minute-by-minute account of our lives? It cracks me up.

I do live on the other side of the world from my family and friends but we keep in touch via email and skype. But you just can't beat the conversation here. They can be deep, they can be silly, they can get heated... but when the chips are down you can always get support.

I can throw down over creationism one minute and the next minute get sympathy for problems in my life from the exact same people. I'll take that over random quizzes any day.

Viva WTM!

Facebook is a place to look at pictures and maybe hear a tiny snippet about someone's life. Most of the snippets are really boring. The apps and quizzes are meaningless. You can tell that someone is just totally making up the answers. Like another poster said "which Beatle are you most like" the answers are just totally made up.

FB is all about trying to be pithy in 2 sentences or less. I felt more disconnected from my friends than ever when I was on FB.

WTM boards discuss some of the deepest issues we'll deal with in life. I can come here and share my absolute innermost thoughts and make a tentative contact with others who agree--or disagree! Even though it's nowhere near as real as relating to people IRL, I can at least know that there are other people somewhere out there going through these things with me.

As a pp said, even with my homeschool friends, I can't always be as open about my homeschool issues with them. This is a sanctuary for me.

I especially love hearing responses from people who totally disagree with what I believe and also love hearing from the people in other countries. I truly never knew that there could be so many different perspectives until I came to these boards. My eyes have been opened in a way they've never been opened IRL.

I too thought FB would different when I signed on. I get bored with it easily as there is not any actual discussion of any topics? I mean, it is nice to locate people you have lost touch with, but other than that..

I finally joined FB *specifically* to try to build a relationship w/ my sil, who asked me to join. I ignored everyone else's requests.

I really like it now that I see what it is. It doesn't replace the boards, but it has its own...value.

I think of it like...working in an office w/ people you like but don't necessarily see much outside of work. You walk past ea other's cubicles on your way to the bathroom or to get a cup of coffee, you say hi, & maybe see the latest grandbaby pic & smile.

It's not much, necessarily, but...it's nice. To know that you're not the only human on the planet, lol, & to know that outside your close circle of friends, there are still people--extended friends & fam--that are glad to hear bits of your life. You know they're glad to hear about it, even if they don't post, because you feel the same way about reading about them.

I've got cousins I haven't seen in 10 yrs. We don't talk a *bunch* on FB, but I see them flying around the country for work, taking care of sick kids, their mother's (my gr-grandmother's sil) health is deteriorating. I'm glad not to be blindsided by a phonecall saying Aunt J died 6mos ago--didn't you hear? And I'm glad to see a little more of their lives than funerals, kwim?

And then there are close friends I see every week, sometimes more. I can call if I have time to chat. I can email if I want to say something specific. But if I want to just say, "Hey. It's a cheerios-all-over-the-house-kind-of-day." Well...that's FB. It doesn't specifically call for their attention, & they might not reply, but later? They know if it's been a hard week.

I have a friend here (in seminary) whose dh has been working long hrs on Saturdays. She's been getting lonely in the evenings. I had no idea. It might have been weird for her to call or email & tell me just that, but it's no big deal on FB, & I can make a mental note that I want to try to include her in Sat eve plans more often.

It's not as bad as I thought. ;)

I've had a bad attitude about Facebook. Many of my friends are on it. I've noticed that is how they all keep in touch. There are things about that kind of social networking that seem artificial to me and I've resisted. Enough said, bc this isn't really my point!

I have over 1000 posts on the boards though! I enjoy asking questions and checking in daily on a message board with ladies I don't even know!! Yesterday, when the boards were down I thought about it and it cracked me up! I find the boards invaluable, bc so many are trying to provide a rigorous education for their children. It is the best homeschool support group!

:iagree:My cousin asked me to sign up for Facebook. I have this and yahoogroups already. The good thing about both of those is that you can take a break without anyone taking it personally. I wouldn't think Facebook would work the same way.

I finally joined FB *specifically* to try to build a relationship w/ my sil, who asked me to join. I ignored everyone else's requests.

I really like it now that I see what it is. It doesn't replace the boards, but it has its own...value.

I think of it like...working in an office w/ people you like but don't necessarily see much outside of work. You walk past ea other's cubicles on your way to the bathroom or to get a cup of coffee, you say hi, & maybe see the latest grandbaby pic & smile.

It's not much, necessarily, but...it's nice. To know that you're not the only human on the planet, lol, & to know that outside your close circle of friends, there are still people--extended friends & fam--that are glad to hear bits of your life. You know they're glad to hear about it, even if they don't post, because you feel the same way about reading about them.

I've got cousins I haven't seen in 10 yrs. We don't talk a *bunch* on FB, but I see them flying around the country for work, taking care of sick kids, their mother's (my gr-grandmother's sil) health is deteriorating. I'm glad not to be blindsided by a phonecall saying Aunt J died 6mos ago--didn't you hear? And I'm glad to see a little more of their lives than funerals, kwim?

And then there are close friends I see every week, sometimes more. I can call if I have time to chat. I can email if I want to say something specific. But if I want to just say, "Hey. It's a cheerios-all-over-the-house-kind-of-day." Well...that's FB. It doesn't specifically call for their attention, & they might not reply, but later? They know if it's been a hard week.

I have a friend here (in seminary) whose dh has been working long hrs on Saturdays. She's been getting lonely in the evenings. I had no idea. It might have been weird for her to call or email & tell me just that, but it's no big deal on FB, & I can make a mental note that I want to try to include her in Sat eve plans more often.

It's not as bad as I thought. ;)

I am a loner by nature. I don't like to call people because of my hearing issues and I don't have time to try and keep up with the many people that have crossed my paths over the past forty years and various jobs and addresses. I also mean to keep up but it's amazing how you get busy with your new life and fade away from the old.

-The high school classmate who's father just died.

-The high school classmate going through a divorce but i would not know about until next reunion

-The high school friend that I had lost contact with who now chats with me about her struggles with a co-worker and needs to vent to someone who's not in her IRL circle.

_The Track teammate whose ex-husband and father of her 3 children died in a car crash.

-The semi-ex-boyfriend who was suicidal and let glimpses of it show in his posts

-Acknowledging birthdays to all my facebook "friends" some of who are actually quite lonely and having someone acknowledge their existence is a treat.

-Finding out that I have common interests with casual friends which leads to more discussions.

-The local friend who has a bad week and I can leave a loaf of homemade banana bread on her doorstep.

-Developing a relationship with my youngest cousin, whom otherwise I only communicated via finding out from my mom via her mom

-Sharing resources with my little sisters friend who has 3 Autistic children whom I would never have thought about otherwise.

_Looking up someone from high school who sent me a friend request but I didn't remember and then noticing that I went to high school (and not locally either) with an IRL friend's husband and never realized it these past six years!

-Noticing from posting styles that certain people I know are really passive aggressive in personality and knowing it's not just personal to me and I can avoid getting sucked into various antics.

-Keeping tabs on the various teens I work with.

-Just knowing I can pray for the bad days, cheer along with the good days, and commiserate with the average days.

I see facebook as a wonderful ministry tool. II don't do the Yoville and Farmville games (though I do like an occasional scramble or word challenge game). I don't do the pokes, food fights, and rarely do the hugs and flowers and stuff like that. I will do an occasional quiz out of sheer boredom and for silliness sake.

Edited by AuntPol

I'm 41 and I do email friends who are far away too but not very often. However, at my age, much of my life was spent before the dawn of the internet and email and I never had those email addresses and some of my military friends have moved so many times that I can't keep up othewise.

For me, both are important. I keep up with family and friends on Facebook, since I don't see them regularly. And I keep up with homeschooling and support and encouragement from all of you here. I like them both, although I could see myself wasting a TON of time if I'm not careful! So, I check in the morning and then at night. If I have time during the afternoon, I might check then, but, I try not to too much.

I *enjoy* knowing the daily-ness of family member lives. I miss them terribly and we love hearing about the mundane. Really. My sisters feel closer to my kids now and I'm in touch with long lost people and relatives.

Ok, so it's not for you. Coolness.

I don't see the WTM board and Facebook as comparable at all.

I...you just can't beat the conversation here. They can be deep, they can be silly, they can get heated... but when the chips are down you can always get support.

I can throw down over creationism one minute and the next minute get sympathy for problems in my life from the exact same people. I'll take that over random quizzes any day.

Viva WTM!

:iagree: about WTM

I love FB. I hate the quizzes, and the minute by minute updates from 156 of my closest friends. :tongue_smilie: I hide all that quiz junk. And I hide a few people.

However, I love seeing my cousin in Philly pop up and say, 'Die Dodgers die!' and then have him guide me in finding the game on tv so I can watch the last of that game with him.

I love talking to a married couple--close friends of mine--now 2 states away similtaneously while they are on separate laptops in the same room together.

I also love that, unlike Instant Message of some sort, I can get up and go away and finish the conversation 2 days later if I want. It is like WTM in that regard.

I do spend too much time on both though.

I *enjoy* knowing the daily-ness of family member lives. I miss them terribly and we love hearing about the mundane. Really. My sisters feel closer to my kids now and I'm in touch with long lost people and relatives.

Ok, so it's not for you. Coolness.

I don't see the WTM board and Facebook as comparable at all.

Facebook is for my IRL friends and family. This is a homeschooling message board where I don't *really* know any of you.

On Facebook I get to see the daily life of my brother & sister-in-law who live in Texas, brother & sister-in-law who live in Oregon, and brother & sister-in-law that live upstate three hours away. I can keep in touch with my cousins (my mom is one of 10 and I have over 30 on one side!), my cousin-in-laws (my dh's mom is 1 of 8) and aunts. (No uncles on FB yet, LOL!) Even my mom and m-i-l are on Facebook. I can also keep in touch with members of my church on Facebook. (Almost all of the ladies with children are on.)

I love that I can share pictures with all of them instantaneously and vice-versa.

I love that I can see their interests, daily struggles (esp. stay-at-home moms), what books they're reading, new recipes, etc.

I have no problem blocking applications. For those that complain about them, did you know you can block them from contacting you and then hide them on your feed?

I have no problem not accepting friend requests from people I either don't know well or don't really like from my past.

I have no problem dropping "friends" from my past that I thought I had more in common with, but find myself cringing on all of the weird quizzes & statuses that they post.

All of my privacy settings are set at "friends only", so that isn't a security problem.

I can go days without visiting here, but need my daily Facebook fix. :-D