Menu

Is anyone else frustrated with the styles that dominate the girls' department?

I am so frustrated with the clothing available for little girls! My younger dds are 8 and 5. The choices for my 5yo are fine. She wears a 6 and while there are some clothes I don't like, there are still many outfits available in a variety of styles.

However, when girls move to a size 7 and have to go to the big girl department everything changes!?! Where are the play clothes? I went to three stores tonight. I came home with one shirt!

Here are the things that irritate me:

-sparkels on EVERYTHING (some are fine, but on everything?)

-sassy or suggestive slogans on shirts

-skull motifs on lots of clothes, and even hidden in the designs

-styles that look like the little girl is ready to go to a bar

-"add-ons" such as buckles, chains, jewels,etc. sewn to the clothing that aren't going to hold up in the wash, and defnintely won't hold up to be worthy of a hand-me-down

-few styles available that will hold up to running, climbing, playing, and regular kid-type activities.

- styles available with only adjustable waists. This seems fine, but if your child is not thick waisted, they end up wearing gathered jeans.....not very comfortable.

To top it off, one of the stores had music playing with VERY suggestive lyrics. (This was a children's store that only carries styles up to size 12, so the music was not geared towards another audience and just happened to be heard in the children's department.) The sales clerk asked if she could help me and I said I felt that the lyrics were completely inappropriate for a children's store. She agreed with me and said she hears comments like mine all the time, but they are required to play what corporate gives them!

It wasn't this way 10 years ago when I was buying clothes for my older girls! Anyone having the same problems? Or am I just getting old and crabby?

~

Leanna

Hmmmmm... you must have gone to Justice and Kohl's.:glare: I hear ya, I can't stand it either. My dd is big for her age, quite tall, so I feel like I have to buy her even older looking things. I do not want my 9yo looking 16!!!:001_huh:

ETA: We find some good stuff at Old Navy pretty often. Jeans that fit well, longer t-shirts w/o suggestive pics or ideas on them. And good sales too.

My daughter just moved up to Girls from Toddlers. I just went to the store yesterday, and came back only with pajamas. I would prefer not to have 'Apple Bottoms' emblazoned across a little girl's chest.

I don't mind skulls, but the sparkles make me want to take a dustbuster to the clothes.

Two words: Hanna Andersson. Their sales are very good, so don't be put off by their regular prices. Sign up to receive their e-mails for sale notices. If you are close to one of their outlet stores, their outlet sales are AWESOME. The quality is amazing -- some of their dresses are going on 4 years now after DD5 wore them for 2, and now DD3 is wearing them. Sometimes I stretch them even further by calling them "tunics" and putting leggings or pants under them. The styles are stylish, but still innocent.

I feel your pain! My dd, 7, is hefty for her age, but carries all excess weight in her waist. It's a nightmare finding clothes for her at all, let alone something little girlish. She just wants a horse on her shirt for crying out loud! She just wants to be a little girl. She is a little girl! Argh! Can you tell I have to buy her fall/winter clothes and I'm extremely disgusted by the whole endeavor? :glare:

My 17 yr old wear jeans and t's. She is super-modest and a twig, so if we stick to the basics, we don't have any isues at all. Jeans and shirts, skirts & shirts are fine. I do realizelarger girls have more issues in this day & age as everything is cut so small!

The 10 yr old is tiny, so Hanna Anderson and Mini Boden are more than fine. Ubder adorable in fact. My 17 yr old can fit into regular jeans and small shirts. Nothing shows.

I am so frustrated with the clothing available for little girls! My younger dds are 8 and 5. The choices for my 5yo are fine. She wears a 6 and while there are some clothes I don't like, there are still many outfits available in a variety of styles.

However, when girls move to a size 7 and have to go to the big girl department everything changes!?! Where are the play clothes? I went to three stores tonight. I came home with one shirt!

Here are the things that irritate me:

-sparkels on EVERYTHING (some are fine, but on everything?)

-skull motifs on lots of clothes, and even hidden in the designs

-"add-ons" such as buckles, chains, jewels,etc. sewn to the clothing that aren't going to hold up in the wash, and defnintely won't hold up to be worthy of a hand-me-down

-few styles available that will hold up to running, climbing, playing, and regular kid-type activities.

- styles available with only adjustable waists. This seems fine, but if your child is not thick waisted, they end up wearing gathered jeans.....not very comfortable.

To top it off, one of the stores had music playing with VERY suggestive lyrics. (This was a children's store that only carries styles up to size 12, so the music was not geared towards another audience and just happened to be heard in the children's department.) The sales clerk asked if she could help me and I said I felt that the lyrics were completely inappropriate for a children's store. She agreed with me and said she hears comments like mine all the time, but they are required to play what corporate gives them!

It wasn't this way 10 years ago when I was buying clothes for my older girls! Anyone having the same problems? Or am I just getting old and crabby?

~

Leanna

I find the clothing choices for boys to be distasteful as well. We are limited for options, so it's either Sears, Wal-Mart or Zeller's (like K-Mart). There are very, very few plain options (no logos, words, etc.). The rest of the stuff just makes them look like little gangsters, punks, rednecks or trailer trash, and we are just not. going. that. way. :glare:

I do nearly all of my shopping at Gymboree and JC Penney these days, though I sometimes pick up some plain t-shirts and shorts at Target. I don't mind the sparkly stuff, but the skulls and Miley Cyrus on practically everything, not to mention the way the clothes are styled - :ack2: I like my child to look 5 (even if she is a tall 5) and not 15.

My girls are teens now, quite modest, and shopping is a PAIN. We all hate it. My girls are slim but every top is designed to be skin tight with no room to breathe. Dresses? For church or other special occasion? Forget it. We've resorted to blouses and skirts to avoid spaghetti straps, sequins, plunging necklines, and thigh-high hem lengths. Thank goodness my girls think the wild styles and garish prints are unflattering and unappealing. Jeans waistlines seem to have crept up a bit, thank goodness. If I see one more young lady's plumber's crack....so what I'm getting to, enjoy this time because shopping definitely doesn't get easier when they get older. Just walk through a junior department.

I just this past month got my dd's fall wardrobe from Land's End. It's more than I usually spend on two of my boys. :tongue_smilie:

I really need to unearth my sewing machines soon, because I used to make almost all of her clothes. I made a lot for my boys too and they all loved it. Even my almost 16 yo would like for me to sew for him again.

I have trouble with both dd1 and ds, but of course for different reasons.

I finally just decided to do laundry more often, and we buy Hannas and Lands End clothes, just fewer complete outfits than if we bought clothes somewhere cheaper. We also stalk the sales and guess about next year's sizes! Whenever possible, I get gender-neutral colors (especially pants) for dd1 so that ds can wear them as well as dd2.

I avoided the problem for a long time w/ dd1 because she is tiny. We're already having trouble with finding nice, "polite" clothes for ds because he's a tall guy. Ugh!

Aaahh, yes: hootchie clothes. I have found better choices on-line at Lands' End and Hanna Andersson. Admittedly, they are more expensive. Luckily some friends and I do the hand-me-down thing, swapping back and forth, so we all share in the pricetag department. It helps.

We had good luck at Target the other day--for once they have some fairly plain jeans and some very nice cords. And some cute tees that don't have horrible words on them! As always, there's some trash, but I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of stuff I could really consider buying.

I was just complaining about this today. I would love to shop Gymboree but even their sale prices are out of my league. I need either slims or adj. waists (that end up looking buchy). My dd doesn't really like jeans so that makes it even harder. She is the avg. height of a 7 yr old with the waist size of a 5yr old and narrow shoulders and no hips to speak of. I find a lot of the clothes are being designed to sit on the hips! The only leggings that fit her are from Gymboree so I shop ebay a lot.

When we were bathing suit shopping over the summer, I thought I would go insane! A lot of the styles had this plunging V neckline. What are some of these designers thinking? And don't get me started about the words across the butt....:glare:.

It seems as though boys are expected to wear their clothes that look 3 sizes too big and girls are supposed to wear everything skin tight like they are 3 sizes too small. And, if that shirt is not tight enough then they pull it tighter and knot it behind them. The world has gone crazy. OK, I'm done now.

I have 4 very plain kids (wrt to clothing needs lol) , and I have never had any issues dressing them in jeans and T's! Old Navy has tons of plain items, and so does Gap and Target. My girls have a couple of skirts they wear with tights and they are good to go for anything! My 10 yr old is the easiest to dress and wears tights and tops, and gypsy skirts, plain brown, but cute Laura Ingalls boots, plain shirts etc. Where do you all shop??!! Even Gap/Target/Walmart has long skirts, long sleeved tops and cute tights! They are as mainstream as it gets. I buy most of their clothing at Savers and save so much money.

Edited by LibraryLover

I have 4 very plain kids (wrt to clothing needs lol) , and I have never had any issues dressing them in jeans and T's! Old Navy has tons of plain items, and so does Gap and Target. My girls have a couple of skirts they wear with tights and they are good to go for anything! My 10 yr old is the easiest to dress and wears tights and tops, and gypsy skirts, plain brown, but cute Laura Ingalls boots, plain shirts etc. Where do you all shop??!! Even Gap/Target/Walmart has long skirts, long sleeved tops and cute tights! They are as mainstream as it gets. I buy most of their clothing at Savers and save so much money.

I occasionally see long skirts or even avg length skirts that I like and plain leggings and plain yoga type pants. But, they seem to be sized to sit on the hip or below the (belly button) natural waist. When they design it to sit at this wider part of the body the waist size is larger. Well, my dd has no hips! The elastic waisted things that are higher waisted are also too big 99% of the time. My dd is thin but not so much so that I should have these issues everywhere I go.

I occasionally see long skirts or even avg length skirts that I like and plain leggings and plain yoga type pants. But, they seem to be sized to sit on the hip or below the (belly button) natural waist. When they design it to sit at this wider part of the body the waist size is larger. Well, my dd has no hips! The elastic waisted things that are higher waisted are also too big 99% of the time. My dd is thin but not so much so that I should have these issues everywhere I go.

Not for my girls. They fit fine for us. My girls are really skinny, however. We also buy tops a size too big and that means they are quite long on my girls. If something is low waisted, you can't tell under a shirt.

You might want to check out second hand places, or size up a little in target etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

I have been getting things on sale from Hannah Andersson or Old Navy.

:(

I am not prudish by any means but even I have my limits.

Just stick to the basics. My girls want plain jeans and tops and hippie skirts and those are everywhere, including Target and Walmart. We don't own anything with words on the butt, or tops which show midriffs etc. A basic pair of GAP jeans with a basic t shirt never changes. My youngest (10) is wearing her sister 's (17) Black Dog Nantucket T shirts from 1997. Life Is Good brand is another basic athletic line (doesn't show belly) if one doesn't want to spring for Hanna Anderson. Another great place to spend lots of dough is www.miniboden.com

Even Walmart is on board with the non-hoochie look. It's becoming a non-issue. They are hearing us. Just stay out of Justice/Limited and you'll be fine.

I hate the *little girls* clothes that say "flirt" and junk like that on them. Geez, let them be little girls!! My girls have lots of tank tops and leggings to wear under tops and skirts. We do have good luck at Old Navy, generally speaking.

OTOH, skulls don't bother me.

I hate the *little girls* clothes that say "flirt" and junk like that on them. Geez, let them be little girls!! My girls have lots of tank tops and leggings to wear under tops and skirts. We do have good luck at Old Navy, generally speaking.

OTOH, skulls don't bother me.

Tank tops!? That means their arms are bare. :D

I hate the *little girls* clothes that say "flirt" and junk like that on them. Geez, let them be little girls!!

We found an adorable pink t-shirt that said "Chicks rule!" on the front. Honestly, I'm usually totally against these types of slogans...

but...

It WAS Tractor Supply and there WAS a picture to go with the words: baby chickens!

I WISH the shirt had been in dd's size! (It was too small! The agony!)

We found an adorable pink t-shirt that said "Chicks rule!" on the front. Honestly, I'm usually totally against these types of slogans...

but...

It WAS Tractor Supply and there WAS a picture to go with the words: baby chickens!

I WISH the shirt had been in dd's size! (It was too small! The agony!)

As the caretaker of more than 50 chickens and turkeys, I want that shirt!

Tank tops!? That means their arms are bare. :D

Yes, nearly everyone's arms are bare, in the whole state, lol. Today when we were driving (I drive an Expedition, bad Democrat, I know...) I looked down at the car next to me and the old man driving it was naked. Oh yes, he was.

eta: chicks rule with a baby chick is adorable!

eta: chicks rule with a baby chick is adorable!

Yes! It was actually a whole wheelbarrow-full of baby chickens... and it was hand-drawn-styled (not the garish cartoon type). It was PERFECT for a chicken-lover whose mother would get a kick out of mocking the whole popular culture trend of the slogans across little girls' chests.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for this shirt again, buy it, and keep it in the closet for YEARS to give to my new little one coming up. (Ssssh! Don't tell dh. He'll think I'm insane.)

I totally agree about the pitiful choices there are for girls clothes these days. One pet peeve I have is that there are character themes on everything! I am so sick of Hannah Montana, Disney and High School Musical themes all over shirts and pajamas anymore.

On a positive note, we received a number of Hannah Anderson hand me downs from another family member and they lasted for years. They are so cute, so age appropriate and so durable. We had so many of them that we didn't need to buy any until just recently when dd finally outgrew the whole stash. I live near the city of Hannah Anderson headquarters though, so we will definitely check out that earlier post suggestion.

On a related note, have you tried finding a training or beginner bra for your preteen dd? I am sick to find that the majority of them are PADDED! I have had to search high and low for what I consider to be a regular bra for a little girl.

Blessings,

Lucinda

On a related note, have you tried finding a training or beginner bra for your preteen dd? I am sick to find that the majority of them are PADDED! I have had to search high and low for what I consider to be a regular bra for a little girl.

Actually, I think they are padded so that the girls get a smooth look. Girls don't really develop evenly and it looks sort of weird. I think there is actually a reason for that.

Just stick to the basics. My girls want plain jeans and tops and hippie skirts and those are everywhere, including Target and Walmart. We don't own anything with words on the butt, or tops which show midriffs etc. A basic pair of GAP jeans with a basic t shirt never changes. My youngest (10) is wearing her sister 's (17) Black Dog Nantucket T shirts from 1997. Life Is Good brand is another basic athletic line (doesn't show belly) if one doesn't want to spring for Hanna Anderson. Another great place to spend lots of dough is www.miniboden.com

Even Walmart is on board with the non-hoochie look. It's becoming a non-issue. They are hearing us. Just stay out of Justice/Limited and you'll be fine.

I got a catalog from that mini boden place in the mail, does the website have decent sales? The catalog seemed expensive.

I don't go to Justice, it seems like their clothes are unreasonably expensive and low quality. I don't mind paying a wee bit more if the things are nice, but their things are expensive and NOT NICE. BOO!