Menu

Off to the ER with my dh...

He's been feeling really run down the last couple of days, and called me up to see there is a bunch of blood in his stool. I called the doctor right away because of his history--and she confirmed we really need to head in to the ER. He keeps saying "But I work tomorrow--can't we just ignore it this one time?" And I offered: Go to the ER with me, or I'll call his mom and he can talk to her about it. He agreed to go the ER.

I've got a friend from church coming to sit with the boys (I hope) and we're going to have a nice night out together at the hospital... prayers for him and that this isn't anything serious or related to all his illness. Thanks!:o

We got home from the hospital--but weren't even seen. The ER was absolutely packed (probably over 100 people waiting, every single chair inside full), people sitting outside on the side walk, everywhere. I asked how long the wait was... they said the wait for TRIAGE was over 3 hours. It was looking like we might not actually be seen until the morning.

I called my doctor, and she said at that rate she'll call in the morning and get us an urgent referal for a colonoscopy and do the bloodwork herself. So we headed home and relieved my elderly church lady from babysitting duty. If Doug feels faint or has another bout of bleeding, we have to go back to the ER immediately... but for now, we figured he'd feel better sleeping at home and getting tested tomorrow than trying to sit on the sidewalk all night.

Ugh. So keep us in your prayers--I'll update tomorrow when we get some info from the doctor. Doug seems to be feeling fine, just fatigued--but with his history, we know it's nothing to mess around with.

I hope it's nothing serious.

ERs can be terrible. My hubby has a history of kidney stones and the last time he had one we were never seen in the ER after waiting 4 hours. Seriously, we know what it is, can't you just give him 2 pain pills and send him home? ERs would be so less packed if they treated more people in triage or sent non-urgent cases away.

Holding your family and your husband in my thoughts.

We got home from the hospital--but weren't even seen. The ER was absolutely packed (probably over 100 people waiting, every single chair inside full), people sitting outside on the side walk, everywhere. I asked how long the wait was... they said the wait for TRIAGE was over 3 hours. It was looking like we might not actually be seen until the morning.....

So keep us in your prayers--I'll update tomorrow when we get some info from the doctor. Doug seems to be feeling fine, just fatigued--but with his history, we know it's nothing to mess around with.

You've got it on the prayers, good thoughts, healing wishes, positive vibes, the whole nine yards. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that only to have to come home again without answers. Hoping you get somewhere with this today and that it turns out to be no big thing.

I just hate the not knowing part for you both!

{{{{Kay, Doug - and kids}}}}

Doran

We got home from the hospital--but weren't even seen. The ER was absolutely packed (probably over 100 people waiting, every single chair inside full), people sitting outside on the side walk, everywhere. I asked how long the wait was... they said the wait for TRIAGE was over 3 hours. It was looking like we might not actually be seen until the morning.

I called my doctor, and she said at that rate she'll call in the morning and get us an urgent referal for a colonoscopy and do the bloodwork herself. So we headed home and relieved my elderly church lady from babysitting duty. If Doug feels faint or has another bout of bleeding, we have to go back to the ER immediately... but for now, we figured he'd feel better sleeping at home and getting tested tomorrow than trying to sit on the sidewalk all night.

Ugh. So keep us in your prayers--I'll update tomorrow when we get some info from the doctor. Doug seems to be feeling fine, just fatigued--but with his history, we know it's nothing to mess around with.

Oh, Kay. {{hugs}} I think I love his doctor, and I hope she can track it down quickly with you today. Please know you're in my prayers.

I am sorry your family is going through this. If your DH does have a GI bleed then it is great that his Dr will be running blood work and setting up a colonoscopy. The blood work will show if he is having bleeding even if it is not externally showing. Also if there is a bleed they should be able to stop the bleed during the colonoscopy. Hopefully it is nothing though.

Let me start by saying that we got home late yesterday afternoon, Doug is fine. The bloodwork was negative, so they want him to follow up and schedule a colonoscopy soon, but not urgently. After our whole day I was simply too tired and drained to even attempt to post, and went straight to sleep. Those are the facts, boardies.

But now, for the fabulous true tale of... DR. CRAZY!

So we started yesterday by calling Doug's regular doctor's office for a referral to a gastroenterologist. I had talked to her during the night on my cel from the ER, and she told me rather than wait she'd get us a STAT referal to a GI doctor. We'd need it because in our medical group, only a GI doctor can order a colonoscopy, you have to see the GI guy first.

I call in the morning, the referal woman is super helpful--she puts in the request and then starts calling around to find a doctor in the group who can see us that day. With Doug's long history, he's seen 3 of the gastroenterologists in the group, but none of them had any availablity until next week. So we were referred to a new doctor---Dr. Tsai--who's office is in the same building. Great. Fine. I call, and they tell me to come between 10 and 11 and they'll fit us in.

We get to the office, and there's one person waiting before us. We sit down in the waiting room with the boys--they are really behaving well. Since we are frequent doctor's visitors, we to (cough cough) resort to handing out the video games. I was finishing up some history reading with my older ds, and then as our name was finally called I handed him the game, and we headed in.

We're meeting with the doctor in his office, it turns out (at this point I'm wondering--isn't he going to examine Doug?). We start to introduce ourselves and he interrupt us "No! This is disruptive! You can't have them here!", he points at the kids.

"OK", I say, "they're just going to sit quietly on the floor with their games...we do this all the time." "NO! I refuse!" So Doug stands up, ushers the boys around the corner (literally, the wall behind us is the wall of the waiting room) and comes in and sits.

"You go too!" the doctor says, and points at me. Doug looks helplessly at me... I'm the one who knows all his history, all his info--his medical manager. He would rather eat glass than be left on his own to try to explain his condition.

"I really need to be here to tell you about Doug's condition. He's been ill for a long time, and has multiple issues that might affect this, but we're here today because..."

"No! I refuse! Get out!" He stands, walks around the desk to us. "You cannot be my patients! I refuse! I am going on vacation next week... I have to have lunch soon... he has seen other doctors.... I refuse!" At this point, he is screaming, loudly.

Doug has moved out the door and around to collect our sons, who seem to be making curious movements towards the room... The next minute or so is a blur, with me saying things like "Please, we really need a referal. They think he might have a GI bleed, and we need to see a gastroenterologist" and "But you're a member of our medical group, you see all their patients--how can you refuse?" and the ever popular "What is going on?" I truly am using my reasonable voice, the one I use on small children and mentally disturbed homeless people who show up at my office fairly regularly. This is a 65 yo Chinese man having a temper tantrum--the whole time he is continuing to yell various things like "I'm too busy" "I don't have to do what I don't want to do".

Finally he has gotten close enough to me (now I'm standing near the door holding my backback) that he shoves me out the door. I don't remember exactly what I said as I was being pushed (its all sort of crazy in my memory) but it was something like "This is crazy... and completely unprofessional!"

He shoves me out, yells, "I am not Dr. Eddy's servant!" (Dr. Eddy is my husbands regular doc, who refered us) and slams the door in my face.

Behind me his secretary (a young girl) is sitting, looking super embarrassed and pretending to be paying attention to her internet surfing.

We sit in the waiting room while I try to call the medical group on my cel to figure out what to do next. We live half an hour away from the hospital and medical center, I'm not going to waste an hour when he needs to see someone now. They start trying to call Dr. Tsai to get confirmation that there was no consultation so we can go elsewhere, so his phone is ringing but he isn't answering it. Finally the receptionist walks over to his office door and is knocking on it--"Doctor? Doctor? Hello?" Nope. He won't respond to her or answer. He's hiding, won't answer his door. She gives up, goes and sits back at her desk, and burys her face in her work.

The medical group calls back and says that the doctor is not available (um... yeah, he's refusing to answer the phone), so we can't have another referral because he needs to confirm that he did not treat my husband before they can refer us to another doc. I call back my doctor's office (she's out for the day) and they send us to ER again.

So.... we wait in the ER, they do the bloodwork, which shows no sign of a bleed, and tell us to get a referral for the colonoscopy.

We've seen probably 50 doctors over the past three years, and some are better than others, some are brusque, some we like, some don't... but I've never had a doctor totally lose it with or without provocation. It was like being on some strange HBO reality show or something. Our boys had lots of questions about what happened, of course, and we ended up having a long discussion of how when children don't learn to control thier words and their bodies, they can become grownups who can't control themselves, and that can have serious consequences. And, in the words of my 6 yo, "look embarrassing and stupid."

Guess who we WON"T be going to see for our follow up? Part of me is so glad he freaked out in the office first thing--this is NOT the man I want to have a major piece of technology inserted into my husband. He's obviously close to a breaking point of some sort.

Doug wants me to file a complaint, and I may, but we have so much going on in our lives right now, when?

Oh my. I had one doctor scold me while in labor. I've had one doctor lose it with me. I've had two (that one and another) try to intimidate me. I've never had one go bat**** crazy on me like that. What a harrowing experience! I'm glad things look good for now and that you made it through. I would have been in tears.

But now, for the fabulous true tale of... DR. CRAZY!

Kay -- with all that you have going on in your lives (and, frankly, even if your life was a veritable cake walk) you sure don't need THAT kind of craziness showing up. Good grief...the man sound completely mental! I know life is full, and there seem to be other, more pressing issues, but please, please, don't let this go unreported. That man needs some serious reprimanding. Maybe someone in your church can help you craft a letter that you simply have to modify -- you know, so it can get done asap. I'd be sending copies to as many higher-ups as I could think of.

boo.gif

As for Doug, I'm thrilled that there doesn't seem to be anything horribly serious at this point, that you're home and, hopefully making progess toward even more answers. Do you think some Magic Eraser would work on Dr. CRAZY? Just take him right out of your misery?!

some kind of breakdown! I can believe he yelled and carried on but hard to believe he pushed you. Yikes. I feel sorry for the office staff, having to put up with him. Be thankful that he showed his true colors before he got his hands on Doug. Zowee. So sorry you have to deal with this.

That was completely acceptable and appropriate behavior...for a Newhart show, or maybe SNL? Maybe he thought someone was trying to play a joke on him? OK, I'm grasping for a plausible explanation. Can't find one. Sorry you had to deal with it. It may have been fun to be a fly on the wall...

:lurk5:

Of course he hid out in his office. He knows he cooked his goose.

Sorry, sorry, sorry...Hope it is all resolved soon.

Oh, Kay, so sorry you guys had to go through that. But thank goodness that crazy doctor lost it BEFORE he was actually performing a colonoscopy on Doug! I hope you guys do file a complaint, that guy might lose it next time in the OR with some unfortunate patient lying on the table.

MIchelle T

Wow. Wow.

I know he's human, just like the rest of us, but I'd want to get him fired so fast!

Sounds like he has major stress and a poor relationship with the others in his group. So glad you won't have to deal with him anymore, and so glad your dh is better. Perhaps God put this crazy man in your path so you could pray for him.

Glad to hear your DH is doing fine.

If a doctor EVER placed a hand on me while angry I would not just be filing a complaint I would be filing a police report. If I'm not mistaken that is an assualt and battery charge. He had no right to touch you. This person needs to be reported. He should not be "caring" for patients in his state of mind. I would advise you to file a complaint both with your insurance compnay and with the board of medicine.

Whoa... That is just totally unreal! He pushed you? Man, I so would have pushed back. You can get him for assault! Really, something sort of like this happened to a friend. Assault is any unwanted touching. AND you have witnesses! Call the news crew! He's a doctor... you and Doug could both retire and live on the proceeds of the court case!:cheers2:

Hugs, really though. I bet it was scary. I hate dealing with crazy people.