Menu

Too much garlic, how to use?

We joined an organic food co-op and I got two bulbs of fresh garlic with my shipment today. Admittedly, I have never used garlic in this form. What can I do to preserve it or use it? I have no clue what to do with it. My DH has been known to roast some on the grill, but this is just so much. I am afraid it will ruin before I get it used.

TIA

I'd roast up as much as you can and either freeze it mashed in small recipe sized balls or as individual cloves. These can be slipped into soups, sauces, and pasta sautes.

Do you have a garlic press? I use mine almost every day. We love garlic and I put in almost everything I cook!

that's me. Every recipe starts with garlic. :001_smile:

Mash it, dice it up, put it in a small jar (it won't be a lot, really) and fill the jar up with olive oil.

put it in a small jar (it won't be a lot, really) and fill the jar up with olive oil.
Don't keep this at room temperature due to the risk of botulism poisoning. Even if it's refrigerated, it should be used quickly.

Don't keep this at room temperature due to the risk of botulism poisoning. Even if it's refrigerated, it should be used quickly.

I thought you could only avoid this through acidification, that temperature doesn't affect it? I'm not being difficult, I know very little about home canning, etc and am curious.

I thought you could only avoid this through acidification, that temperature doesn't affect it? I'm not being difficult, I know very little about home canning, etc and am curious.
Temperature affects the rate of growth, hence the necessity to use it quickly. I personally wouldn't risk more than a few days in the fridge, though I've heard up to 30 days is OK. You can also freeze it.

I'm laughing! When I saw the subject line I thought your hubby must have come home with a few kilos or something! Around here, two heads of garlic is hardly any. I'll use about half a head in any recipe. I don't know if it is just me, but the garlic seems to be a lot less garlicky than it used to. Shops must be stocking different varieties these days.

Rosie

I'm laughing! When I saw the subject line I thought your hubby must have come home with a few kilos or something!
Isn't that funny? I'd read it as two bags... hence the "roast as much as you can." Ooops. :lol:

Only two bulbs ? That's about a one week supply, at a stretched-out most ! :)

I cook with garlic. The children expect it, and complain if there is not enough fresh garlic in an entree.

We joined an organic food co-op and I got two bulbs of fresh garlic with my shipment today. Admittedly, I have never used garlic in this form. What can I do to preserve it or use it? I have no clue what to do with it. My DH has been known to roast some on the grill, but this is just so much. I am afraid it will ruin before I get it used.

TIA

Is there such a thing as too much garlic?;). I use garlic in bulb form almost every day. Get a good garlic press or just lay it on your cutting board and lay the side of your chef's knife on top of it and - "bam" - give it a good pound, remove the skin, mince it and, if you want it pressed, press/scrape the side of your knife across it. You'll never go back to garlic powder again.

Temperature affects the rate of growth, hence the necessity to use it quickly. I personally wouldn't risk more than a few days in the fridge, though I've heard up to 30 days is OK. You can also freeze it.

Interesting... I wonder why a garlic infused oil would be different than any other medicinal herb infused oil (which macerate for at least 6 weeks, sometimes years). :001_huh:

OP, store it as you do onions and use it liberally. As someone else mentioned, every recipe starts with garlic here. (and it's really good for staying healthy during cold season)

I feel silly

Don't feel silly. I wouldn't know what to do with beets. :)

Cut the top off of the head to expose the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and wrap in foil. Roast at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cool.

You can refrigerate this and add it to mashed potatoes, spread it on bread or add it to recipes.

Interesting... I wonder why a garlic infused oil would be different than any other medicinal herb infused oil (which macerate for at least 6 weeks, sometimes years). :001_huh:

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/garlic.htm

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/garlic-ail-eng.php

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/safefood/newsltr/v2n4s08.html

http://botulismtoolkit.com/?p=418

I planted some garlic, but I wasn't sure when to dig it up; I just used the chive like things a few times.

I can't believe 2 heads of garlic is considered a lot. I buy at least 10 at a time. Hmm, no wonder my mom was even surprised. Nearly everything I cook starts with 1/2 a head. As long as you cook it properly (NOT raw chunks), it makes everything taste better! You'll use it up in no time! :)

We grow garlic and keep it in a paper bag. I knew about botulism but thought it was only when kept in oil (homemade). Looking at the various websites seem to confirm that. It is the lack of oxygen when it is keep in oil that can cause botulism. Commercial garlic in oil has been heated to such a high heat that no botulism spores can survive (and the garlic tastes changes in my opinion).

Favorite uses for garlic - toast french bread or artisan bread, rub a clove of garlic across the crusty toasted bread. Slice of homegrown tomato. Maybe a little provolone cheese or other italian cheese. Salt. Yum.

Harvest garlic when the stems turn brown. For us it is ususally around the middle of July.

One more garlic story-- we live in Turkey, and last weekend went to the "Garlic Capital of the World," where they grow tons of garlic. The streets were lined with sellers, stringing the garlic bulbs like pearls all over the strands. They have an annual Garlic Festival that people from all over the country visit. Amazing!

We bought a big string, and have it outside, drying in the sun. It's used pretty liberally in most vegetable dishes here.

BTW I changed my user name; now I'm Anne/Ankara...

I cut back when my xh had the smell of garlic oozing from his pores. :lol:

When I was living with my grandmother, she would complain if I left the kitchen smelling like garlic. If I didn't, though, it smelled like cat food! I can't believe she liked cat food smell better. :ack2:

Rosie

I only bought garlic in the jars up until Christmas 2007. After the baby was born, I started cooking. I watched a lot of Food Network and learned to roast garlic. I mash a large pot of potatoes once or twice a month and put in two whole bulbs of garlic (already roasted and squeezed) and mash them in. They are fantastic potatoes.

I just get on odd satisfaction squeezing them out of their skin. :blushing:

I think my teens used an entire clove tonight.

!

I hope it was at least a whole head that they used in order to perfume the house. Otherwise, please, do yourself a favor and EAT MORE GARLIC! Eating one clove in the whole family's meal shouldn't count as a walk on the wild side! :)

But the garlic won't "go bad" any time soon.

!

I hope it was at least a whole head that they used in order to perfume the house. Otherwise, please, do yourself a favor and EAT MORE GARLIC! Eating one clove in the whole family's meal shouldn't count as a walk on the wild side! :)

But the garlic won't "go bad" any time soon.

Yes, I said clove when I meant bulb. I realized it after I laid down and I almost got back up just to fix it. I will edit now. Thanks.

Okay...so, I skinned a CLOVE a chopped up half of it and sautéed it with potatoes, onions, and sausage. I think I could have used the whole clove, I was just afraid I would overdo it. I like the flavor much better than the powdered.

Now, what ways do I NOT prepare it? This morning I just chopped it and threw it into the skillet. It was good.

I use garlic as base for most everything I make. I sautee in olive oil then add the rest of my ingredients for chili, pasta sauce, vegetables, meats etc. I use 2-5 cloves at a time. You just pull of a clove, peel it then chop it up.

I don't care for scrambled eggs, but I do enjoy an occasional hard-fried egg. At the grocery store this afternoon, I spotted, and purchased, something wonderful for tomorrow morning's egg: a jar of minced garlic mixed with hot peppers, in olive oil. The label called it a pasta sauce; however, it's slated for my fried egg !

My family's mantra is you can never have enough garlic.:lol: I put it in almost everything except for scambled eggs.:tongue_smilie: I had a friend in high school that would put it in scrambled eggs.:tongue_smilie:

Mathematical ratios:

Fresh garlic : powdered garlic ~ Freshly-grated Romano cheese : dusty-tasting, dessicated "parmesan" "cheese".

Mathematical moral is Always cook with fresh ingredients, whenever possible !

Okay...so, I skinned a CLOVE a chopped up half of it and sautéed it with potatoes, onions, and sausage. I think I could have used the whole clove, I was just afraid I would overdo it. I like the flavor much better than the powdered.

Now, what ways do I NOT prepare it? This morning I just chopped it and threw it into the skillet. It was good.

I would have used a whole clove too. Sometimes I use more then 1 clove and add it at different times. For example, if I was cooking beans, I would put a few chopped cloves in in the beginning and towards the end of cooking.

I use one clove in my salad dressings.

Trim off the very loose pieces of paper on the outside. You can leave most of the paper, just get rid of the stuff that will come off easily if agitated.

Then cut across the top of the bulb, about 1/2 inch down from the top of the hard part, straight across. This exposes the tops of the individual cloves.

Immerse in milk in a small saucepan, cover, and boil for about 15 minutes.

Take out, drain, and then put in a small ceramic bowl or baking dish (a chili bowl is good for this). Pour olive oil over the top of the cloves--maybe about a scant tablespoon per bulb. Then bake, uncovered, at 400, for about 10 minutes.

What this will do is soften the garlic meat and mellow the flavor--taking all the sharpness away. You can squeeze the garlic out of the cloves and use this as a spread directly on good, hearty, crusty bread. It is WONDERFUL! Or you can squeeze it out and use it for a dipping spread for roast lamb or beef. I think it's also good on potatoes--especially baked Yukon Gold potatoes.

Is there such a thing as too much garlic?;).

The only time I've ever had too much garlic was when DH and I roasted 4 heads of garlic to have with appetizers for guests who were arriving from out of town. They had already eaten by the time they got to our place, so I polished off most of those four head myself. :blushing:

I was pregnant at the time, so it must have been a craving, right? :D

To the OP, I'm glad you are enjoying the garlic! I would concur with the other suggestions to get a garlic press. Maybe someone has one that they can recommend...we use ours so much that they always seem to break. :glare:

I hear that they serve garlic ice cream at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Just sayin'.
They also have it at the Elephant Garlic Festival at North Plains, near Portland, OR.

I hear that they serve garlic ice cream at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Just sayin'.

I've heard it exists. That doesn't make it ok! For the record, our local shop was selling Vegemite ice-cream last year. That is NOT OK! But my brother had some. He's so gross :D

Rosie

For the record, our local shop was selling Vegemite ice-cream last year. That is NOT OK! But my brother had some. He's so gross :D
I flinched when I read that.