Menu

do I want to make homemade tortillas?

I've gotten to the point of cooking pretty much everything from scratch but I am still buying tortillas. We go through a lot of them. I have been thinking about making my own but it seems like a lot of work.

I would use the bread machine to mix the dough. It's all that rolling out and cooking each one individually on the stovetop that seems so time consuming.

Is it worth it to make my own? Is there a significant cost savings? Is it practical to make a whole bunch and freeze? Any hints on how to make this easier/ more successful? Special equipment or tools?

FWIW- I cook mostly from scratch for health and financial benefits but I'm not as health conscious as many here. I also consider it cooking from scratch but I do use the bread machine, etc. so I'm not opposed to convenience. It's always a cost/benefit tradeoff around here so we do end up with some HFCS in our diet etc.

Any tips?

Marie

Ok, well... I'm probably one of the "more health conscious" and, in my experience, prepared tortillas either have HFCS (or other questionable ingredients) or are wickedly expensive.

You don't need the bread machine for tortillas - they're not a yeast dough and aren't kneaded to that extreme. They're akin to a biscuit dough.

I use this recipe and don't find it particularly time consuming (I mean, cooking them one at a time does take time, but I'm doing other things while making them). I either triple or quadruple the recipe and stash them in the fridge or freezer so we can eat them over a week or so. (which is probably why it takes a while for me to make them, huh?)

I find making tortillas to be less of a pain than making loaves of bread (which I do without a bread machine). My recipe is similar to the one linked to above...I can make a double batch, including mixing the dough and rolling them all out and cooking them, in under 30 minutes. You could always get a tortilla press if it's the rolling them out that's holding you back.

YES. Homemade tortillas (both flour and corn) are fabulous. You don't need anything special, but a tortilla press is handy so you don't have to bother with the rolling pin. Also, it's pretty fast to cook them if you have a griddle rather than using a frying pan. You can freeze them, but I doubt you'll have leftovers...we eat fresh ones plain around here.

I go back and forth with this one...

I don't have the patience to make them home made often... I am far too busy, but if you have a good kitchen routine down and you know how to make them, I agree you can do other kitchen tasks while you do this. I am just a terrible multi tasker...

So, sometimes I make them, but I usually buy large packs of them. We go through a lot each week.

I remember waking up early in the mornings and hearing my grandma out in the kitchen making tortillas. She would crank them out so quick. I don't make flour tortillas because we have access to really goods ones at a local market. To me the best thing is to live next to a tortilla factory. You can buy them while their still piping hot, YUMMY! I do make corn tortillas though and they are delicious.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/images/P/maseca.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Maseca-Masa-Harina-for-Tamales--Tortillas-2kg-p-16268.html&h=300&w=300&sz=31&tbnid=ztaElif9D9hjZM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmasa%2Bharina&usg=__EoYiOjhxNauKr81V75tJ_vfIBTE=&ei=-9aKSrnLHI6MMtn70MsP&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image They are different than the ones you buy at the market, and different than the ones from a tortilla factory. They are thick and not as pliable. You can make a layer enchilada with them. So good... There is a press you can buy http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pastrychef.com/assets/images/large/tortilla_press_large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pastrychef.com/TORTILLA-PRESS_p_14-920-reviews.html&usg=__Cc4YZSwc8tq0Ws7Yh0NC3nQT-AQ=&h=289&w=350&sz=51&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=kAY7Tt1SySu-MM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtortilla%2Bpress%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1, and by using plastic bags or wax paper to line the metal it's a very quick and clean process. It's also a great job for kids, my daughters can make corn tortillas by themselves. You can also pinch up the sides of these tortillas and fry them to make sopes http://www.tortillasinc.com/sope.jpg.

Let us know how the tortillas go if you start making them. I'd love a little inspiration to make them again.

Along time ago I made flour tortillas from a tofu cookbook, the recipe called for 1/2 ld of tofu! We all thought it was so funny. I can't remember how they tasted.

A good pan to make them in is a comal http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season10/tortila/comal.gif

Edited by helena

I occasionally make parathas (Indian flatbread), in my experience if you do it with regularity you get a lot faster. For me the time consuming part is rolling, everything else is pretty quick. I have a large pan (tawa) that fits 3-4 at a time, so cooking doesn't take long -- is that an option with tortillas? Also my kids love to do the cooking part, so I can get a production line going and then it's done pretty fast.

I occasionally make parathas (Indian flatbread), in my experience if you do it with regularity you get a lot faster. For me the time consuming part is rolling, everything else is pretty quick. I have a large pan (tawa) that fits 3-4 at a time, so cooking doesn't take long -- is that an option with tortillas? Also my kids love to do the cooking part, so I can get a production line going and then it's done pretty fast.

Is this soft like naan or crunchy like roti? Care to share your recipe? I ADORE a certain middle-eastern flatbread that a friend's parents always bought when I was a teen...we ate it with soft cheese spread on top. I'd love to be able to make it!

A guy that dh used to bring us homemade tortilla balls (the dough rolled into balls) for us to cook ourselves. His wife would make up a bunch and send us some. We would freeze the balls. I just took out how many we needed, then let them thaw, roll them out, and cook them. We have moved since, so we don't get them any more. I buy the raw tortillas at Walmart and cook them myself. The kids love to cook them for me. DH won't eat the already cooked kind any more, so I only buy them when we are going to have a house full or something. I agree that a press would make the process much easier. They are worth the trouble!

We only eat homemade tortillas.

They are infinitely tastier than store bought ones and once you have them your children will forever forbid you from buying another one from the super market. And if you, by chance, are in a hurry and buy some at the store for dinner tonight, they will moan and groan and refuse to eat them because they "taste like cardboard" even though he ate them almost half of his life. Ask me how I know. ;)

What I do is make the dough on the weekend and pinch it off into little balls and put them in zip lock bags in the fridge. You can grab a few balls and roll them out right on your kitchen counter and put them in the skillet in less than a minute. That way they are fresh every single time you eat them.

Also you can make them all on the weekend and sort of half cook them and put them back in the fridge and finish cooking them as you need them throughout the week. I'm not sure how long they last, they never make it past the weekend in my house.:tongue_smilie:

My son just stands at the stove with a stick of butter and eats them right off the griddle. Teenagers! :lol:

I also make corn tortillas, but we don't eat them as often so I just prepare them as needed. I don't really have any tips for those, except you NEED a tortilla press. There's no other way.

I used to make homemade tortillas because I couldn't find any w/o hydrogenated fat in them. I'd make several batches and freeze them so I wouldn't have to make them as often. But now there are some brands of tortillas with no hydrogenated fat, so I'm back to buying them. For me, it was not that difficult to make them, but it was time consuming and not something I really enjoyed. At least with making my own bread, most of the steps (rising and baking) don't require my direct involvement and using the Bosch to mix the dough, it's not a lot of work. The tortillas, however, took a lot of time to portion and roll the dough, and then cook each one separately.

ETA: And dh never thought the homemade ones tasted as good to him as the store bought. . .the rest of us liked them quite well, though.

I am reading with interest, as I have wondered the same thing (is it worth it to make my own?). After reading thus far I have 2 questions.

1) How stiff is the dough? Is it hard to roll out, or is it just time consuming because you have to roll each one individually?

2) What's the best kind of fat to use in them?

I am reading with interest, as I have wondered the same thing (is it worth it to make my own?). After reading thus far I have 2 questions.

1) How stiff is the dough? Is it hard to roll out, or is it just time consuming because you have to roll each one individually?

You really need to let the dough rest before you roll them out, otherwise it's kind of a futile attempt. . .if you do let the dough rest (~15 min?), it's fairly easy. I have a tortilla press, so just make a small round of dough and then use the press to press them. It's just time consuming because you have to roll/cook each one individually.

I used a blend of coconut oil and lard in mine - the lard (or rendered beef fat - I've used that, too) just seemed to give a better flavor than all coconut oil.

Here's a recipe for Basic Flour Tortillas from the cookbook that came with our electric tortilla press (Vitantonio; has been discontinued):

Basic Flour Tortillas

2 cups unbleached (or all-purpose) flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil

2/3 cup warm water

Rub flour, salt, and oil together with your fingers until completely incorporated and fine crumbs form. Pour water into dry ingredients and immediately work it in with a fork. Dough will be in large clumps. Sprinkle with flour and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes.

Divide dough into 12 to 15 portions, about the size of silver dollars (about 1" diameter), and shape into balls. Set dough balls on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and let dough rest for at least 30 minutes before baking. You may also let dough rest in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap, before shaping it into balls.

There's an aluminum tortilla press (just a press; it doesn't cook your tortillas) at http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com for $16.99.

I don't usually like corn tortillas at all, but homemade ones from Masa Harina are so amazingly good, and have no added fat!

Masa is available in really big bags at Costco so it's quite economical.

I learned how to do this at my DD's parent participation preschool.

We used a tortilla press, with the dough placed either on waxed paper or in a plastic bag before pressing--so that it can't stick to the press. I use waxed paper at this point. I have never tried parchment, but I would think that that would be the cleanest thing to use. Then I cook them on my no-stick griddle. I can make 6 at a time, and they stay hot and do not stick together if you stack them on a plate. So two batches is plenty. Also, they are forgiving on a griddle--it can't get hot enough for them to burn, so you can put them on for different times. This makes it easier to manage making them and popping them onto the griddle without worrying too much about the timing of getting them back off again.

I have not tried making the flour ones, even though I used to like them better than corn, because my new corn ones are SO GOOD. But I have had homemade flour ones, and they are better than storebought. They have little variations in thickness that makes them a little chewier, and that makes them taste better to me.

This is a fast, easy process that even pre-schoolers can do with supervision. Try it!

You really need to let the dough rest before you roll them out, otherwise it's kind of a futile attempt. . .if you do let the dough rest (~15 min?), it's fairly easy. I have a tortilla press, so just make a small round of dough and then use the press to press them. It's just time consuming because you have to roll/cook each one individually.

I used a blend of coconut oil and lard in mine - the lard (or rendered beef fat - I've used that, too) just seemed to give a better flavor than all coconut oil.

Thanks. :) I don't think I have the money or space for new kitchen contraptions at the moment, but maybe I'll try it a few times rolling them by hand and then if my family is enthusiastic about homemade tortillas I'll ask for a press for Christmas or something. Hmmm.....

Then I cook them on my no-stick griddle. I can make 6 at a time, and they stay hot and do not stick together if you stack them on a plate. So two batches is plenty. Also, they are forgiving on a griddle--it can't get hot enough for them to burn, so you can put them on for different times. This makes it easier to manage making them and popping them onto the griddle without worrying too much about the timing of getting them back off again.

Are you referring to an electric griddle? Because when I make them on my stove top griddle (covers two burners) it would all depend on how high I turn it up.

A question for those who have used tortilla presses--can you get large ones? I just did a quick search online, and they only seem to make 7-8" tortillas. I like mine larger.

Are you referring to an electric griddle? Because when I make them on my stove top griddle (covers two burners) it would all depend on how high I turn it up.

A question for those who have used tortilla presses--can you get large ones? I just did a quick search online, and they only seem to make 7-8" tortillas. I like mine larger.

I only use it for pancakes and tortillas, but just for those it has been WEP. (They are not that expensive.)

I have not seen presses that make the really big tortillas suitable for wraps. I do more of a 'mini taco' or tostada kind of thing with the ones that I make.

I don't usually like corn tortillas at all, but homemade ones from Masa Harina are so amazingly good, and have no added fat!

Have you tried sopes? The fat is there, but they are so good (once in a while:)). Just pinch up the sides and fry. Garnish with beans, thinly sliced cabbage, some of this http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21E1B7MD88L._AA280_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/El-Yucateco-Green-Habanero-Sauce/dp/B0000GHNSQ&usg=__Zt0QNxjuJuWkSHq13QZ4_nJwPos=&h=280&w=280&sz=7&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=5k6ExeqgIZOouM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhabanero%2Bsauce%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1, & a little dab of sour cream. And to make them perfect, a crumbly mexican cheese.

I don't think I've ever seen a large press either.

Is this soft like naan or crunchy like roti?

It's soft, but naan has yeast and is thicker/puffy while paratha doesn't have yeast, so it's just flat (probably close to a tortilla).

I don't really have a set recipe, like with measurements, I kind of eyeball it. I use atta flour (a whole-wheat flour), add some salt, then add enough water to make a soft dough. Wrap it in plastic and let it sit for a while. Divide into small pieces to roll out. If I'm being more health conscious I'll just roll them out and cook them on a non-stick pan; otherwise, I'll roll it out, brush oil on top, then roll up into a snake shape and coil it, then roll out again before cooking (so you get flaky layers).

I don't know if this what you were thinking of?

I also make corn tortillas, but we don't eat them as often so I just prepare them as needed. I don't really have any tips for those, except you NEED a tortilla press. There's no other way.

I disagree. Before I had a tortilla press, I used the bottom of a frying pan or a cutting board to press mine out. There are lots of things you can use to press them, including your hands (The original press! My mother-in-law is super fast at making corn tortillas and sopes by hand.)

1. I don't find the dough to be at all stiff. I have tendinitis in my wrists and these don't make make them hurt at all. For comparison, I love to make bread, but don't, for this very reason.

2. I agree that they are best with lard, though the ones made with oil don't taste bad at all.

Have you tried sopes? The fat is there, but they are so good (once in a while:)). Just pinch up the sides and fry.

:iagree: I make sopes regularly. They are a hit. Every time I go visit my mom she begs me to cook for her ;)

I do have 1 tip for corn tortillas/sopes...make sure you add a little salt to the maseca, or they will be bland.

It's soft, but naan has yeast and is thicker/puffy while paratha doesn't have yeast, so it's just flat (probably close to a tortilla).

I don't really have a set recipe, like with measurements, I kind of eyeball it. I use atta flour (a whole-wheat flour), add some salt, then add enough water to make a soft dough. Wrap it in plastic and let it sit for a while. Divide into small pieces to roll out. If I'm being more health conscious I'll just roll them out and cook them on a non-stick pan; otherwise, I'll roll it out, brush oil on top, then roll up into a snake shape and coil it, then roll out again before cooking (so you get flaky layers).

It sounds like it might be. The ones I ate were definitely flat, and they didn't taste like naan (though I love that too!). They kept them in the freezer and threw them in the oven to heat them. I remember the label being in Arabic on both the cream cheese and the flatbread. My friend's dad was Turkish and spoke Arabic, but never learned to read or write it, so I never learned what they were called. And I remember sour cherry juice, and string cheese that was similar to our Oaxaca cheese but had a sweeter flavor...I'm hungry now.

I generally cook without measurements unless I'm baking, so I think I'll give it a try...is the dough sticky, or just soft? Have you ever made them with white flour? Whole-wheat flour is somewhat difficult to find in my area. It sounds exactly like making corn tortillas, just with wheat flour instead of corn flour :)

Is it worth it to make my own? Is there a significant cost savings? Is it practical to make a whole bunch and freeze? Any hints on how to make this easier/ more successful? Special equipment or tools?

I think it is absolutely worth it to make tortillas from scratch. I haven't price-checked them in a long while, but considering they are little more than flour, salt, sortening and water, they should be pretty inexpensive.

I have never tried freezing mine ahead of time, so I cannot answer your third question. I use lard instead of Crisco--much tastier, I think. My trusty cast iron skillet and my rolling pin make perfectly tasty (albeit not perfectly round) tortillas.

Here is the recipe I use:

Flour Tortilla recipe

http://www.texasrollingpins.com/tortillarecipe.html

3 cups unbleached flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

4-6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening or lard

about 1 1/4 cups warm water

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Add vegetable shortening or lard. Or use a combination of half lard, half shortening. Use a fork or a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening or just do it the old fashioned way and use your hands.

Next add warm water a little at a time until your dough is soft and not sticky. You do not need very hot water.Knead the dough for a few minutes.

Now you will pull off pieces of dough to form about 12 small dough balls. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes, longer if you like. This is a good time to heat up the comal (I use my cast iron skillet). You will want to set it at medium to high heat. If it is too hot the tortillas will cook too fast.

Now you can roll out the dough with your tortilla rolling pin or palote (I just use my regular ole rolling pin). It is a good idea to dust each ball with a little flour just before you roll them out. Lay the palote in the center of the dough ball and roll up, center and roll down. It is good to lift the dough and turn it. Again, rolling pin in the center and roll. Roll them out fairly thin.

Lay your tortilla on the hot comal. It takes just a few seconds to cook. Flip to the other side. When they are done it should have lots of nice brown speckles. Place them in a towel. If you would like you can use a tortilla warmer to keep them warm longer. They are ready to be served!

I was encouraged by all the responses so I threw together a batch today to try. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. They were pretty good and not too difficult. I am sure I would get better with time at both efficiency and quality. I made quesadillas for dinner with them and everyone was happy. They might be a bit thicker than what we are used to.

Thanks, everyone. I'm definitely going to try this again and work at perfecting my technique. I would be interested in the press. Does the dough not stick to it, though. It seems like that would be an issue.

Marie

Thanks, everyone. I'm definitely going to try this again and work at perfecting my technique. I would be interested in the press. Does the dough not stick to it, though. It seems like that would be an issue.

Marie

You put the dough between layers of waxed or parchment paper, or even a cut open zippy bag. Virtually no clean-up :)

Marie

A manual, clamp down press results in much thicker flour tortillas (but is absolutely necessary for corn), like the less-flat flatbread Quiznos uses for "Sammies". You'll work out the thickness you like.

On the fat: I use Jungle shortening or, if that's unavailable, Spectrum Organic.

Most tortilla presses are painted with paint that is not food-safe. You have to cover them with plastic wrap or some such.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My DH is usually the tortilla maker but yesterday I gave it a go and it was ridiculously easy! I just used a rolling pin to roll them out. They were much easier than pasta which I make all the time. I'll definitely be making them more often.

What I do is make the dough on the weekend and pinch it off into little balls and put them in zip lock bags in the fridge. You can grab a few balls and roll them out right on your kitchen counter and put them in the skillet in less than a minute. That way they are fresh every single time you eat them.

Also you can make them all on the weekend and sort of half cook them and put them back in the fridge and finish cooking them as you need them throughout the week. I'm not sure how long they last, they never make it past the weekend in my house.:tongue_smilie:

My son just stands at the stove with a stick of butter and eats them right off the griddle. Teenagers! :lol:

Oh those are fabulous ideas! I'd love the recipie for good corn tortillas, I'm assuming they have no wheat?

I made tortillas again tonight. Yum! 3rd time I've made them. The first time they were a little on the thick side, dh wanted them thinner. The second time I made them too thin, decided I like them thicker. Tonight I made them thick-ish again. Dh didn't comment, so maybe I got it right. Anyway, they were delish!

I used the texasrollingpin recipe. I see it's been mentioned in this thread. I first came across it in this thread, thanks to MyCrazyHouse. And here's a thread I started about what do you put in your tortillas/wraps? (I don't think I'll tire of homemade tortillas!) :D

I buy the raw tortillas at Walmart and cook them myself. The kids love to cook them for me.

This is what I was going to suggest, too.

La Abuela tortilla dough, already rolled, with no preservatives, dough conditioners, etc. (Wal mart carries them. If you have a Mexican market nearby, you could look there, too.)

A good reason to use pre-rolled dough is the lack of the preservatives, etc....but another is that the taste of a fresh cooked tortilla is light years beyond that of the pre-cooked stuff.

There...just aren't words. :D

This is what I was going to suggest, too.

La Abuela tortilla dough, already rolled, with no preservatives, dough conditioners, etc. (Wal mart carries them. If you have a Mexican market nearby, you could look there, too.)

A good reason to use pre-rolled dough is the lack of the preservatives, etc....but another is that the taste of a fresh cooked tortilla is light years beyond that of the pre-cooked stuff.

There...just aren't words. :D

We do this as well but for some reason, I can't always find it in my Walmart. I usually just happen upon it. Where should I look consistently?

Real tortillas are made of maiz ("corn" for you gringos :D) not wheat flour.Ă‚Â¡Ay, Caramba!

Anyway, soaking hominy corn with lime, and then grinding it is a fair amount of work, so I usually purchase fresh masa harina from markets with their own in-store tortillerias (not uncommon in Southern California).

I can pat out a tortilla (if I must) but a tortilla press is very handy. I use two pieces of waxed-paper to sandwich the tortilla ball as its being pressed, which makes it easy to peel and cook.

Bill

It's soft. I've seen my in-laws make it before where the dough was more sticky when they set it to rest, they just added more flour when rolling them out.

Yeah, you DO want soft -- if it's dry, it will be hard and, well, dry, and the edges will crack and they will just not be nice, but soft will work. Malleable. You don't want a sticky mess, you won't be able to roll it out.

The baking powder and shortening mixed into tortilla dough gives it a totally different taste. I make other flat breads, but hadn't tried tortillas, and they really did taste like tortillas, not like a chapati in a sombrero or something.

They cook fast; you won't be there all day. If you are, crank up the heat. If they cook very slow, you'll be eating crackers.

You can find some nice videos on Youtube. Also Show Me The Curry has some videos. You can translate the rolling out and cooking technique to tortillas as it's basically the same.

• 5 weeks later...

So, I've been wanting to make home made fresh warm flour tortillas... I tried yesterday using the recipe posted by MyCrazyHouse and elw miller. They tasted great, but they came out very stiff... Like - instead of being able to roll it up you could only really fold it and it would just crack or break up... What did I do wrong? I like them soft... :confused:

So, I've been wanting to make home made fresh warm flour tortillas... I tried yesterday using the recipe posted by MyCrazyHouse and elw miller. They tasted great, but they came out very stiff... Like - instead of being able to roll it up you could only really fold it and it would just crack or break up... What did I do wrong? I like them soft... :confused:

Either you didn't get them thin enough or you cooked them too long. I usually cook them too long. They cook in maybe a minute or two - total for both sides.

My guess would be that you cooked them too long - it really doesn't take long at all.

So long as I can locate tortillas made solely from corn, lime, and water -- and from none of the gacky ingredients (cellulose gum, preservatives, etc.) -- I'll continue purchasing tortillas, rather than attempting to make them myself. (Same for flour tortillas -- must be free from unpleasant, unnecessary ingredients.)

Tortillas and bagels. Best left for purchase ! :)

I use this flour tortilla recipe from the homesick texan blog. They come out perfect every time. I would *guess* that you need to cook them hotter and for less time.

She also has a corn tortilla recipe for those of us not from Tex-Mex land. ;)

Sounds like chapatis.

I've been giving this a go here too. Today was my second try. I got them closer to round this time (which for some reason I had a hard time with last time). But the first few I cooked too long and they got pretty crispy. The later ones were better. Ds came in when I'd just taken off the first couple and I showed him how they were too brittle so I was trying again. A while later he wandered back in and was looking at my stack of tortillas. He said, "Hey, what did you do with those epic crackers?" I'm thinking...that right there is a very "homeschool" kind of description...lol. Must be doing my job.

Is it worth it to make my own? Is there a significant cost savings? Is it practical to make a whole bunch and freeze?

I used to make tortillas at home. It was horrendously time consuming and then I would get annoyed at people for eating them because it meant I had to make more.

For me, it was not worth it to make my own. Yes, there was a significant cost savings financially, as my family goes through a lot of tortillas. But the cost to my emotional health was too high. :D

If you want to make a bunch and freeze them, you'll have to devote a significant portion of your day to it. It took me about 2 hours to make 40, and they would be gone in less than two weeks.

The website I got my recipe from claimed that, with practice, you could make a dozen in 20 minutes. I made tortillas at home for two years and I think the woman who wrote that must have been smoking something funny.

Tara

The recipe I linked says it makes 8. I make mine smaller than she does because I double the recipe and it makes around 30. It takes me about an hour from start to finish (including the rising/rest time) to cook them on a griddle. If you tripled or quadrupled the recipe it would not take that much longer.

I don't make them because it saves money, I make them because they are so delicious. :D

Ok, I feel extremely inadequate here because everyone else seems to think making tortillas is no big deal. I hated doing it. But I am now embarrassed by my lack of skills, so I will try making Mrs. Mungo's recipe. Wish me luck. :001_huh:

Tara

I think it's actually the difference in recipes. I tried several before I found one that worked for me. The resting makes a huge difference. Part of the reason I make mine smaller than the recipe suggests is because they are much easier to roll out that way. I just squish them with my hands, a couple of rolls with the rolling pin and into the pan. Using a griddle also makes it faster because you can do more than one at a time.

I cannot make bread to save my life, except for my grandmother's dinner rolls. Does that make you feel better? :grouphug:

Ok, I feel extremely inadequate here because everyone else seems to think making tortillas is no big deal. I hated doing it. But I am now embarrassed by my lack of skills, so I will try making Mrs. Mungo's recipe. Wish me luck. :001_huh:

Tara

I'm with you, Tara :) I hated making tortillas but did it when I couldn't find any store bought ones w/o hydrogenated fats. I found it very time consuming and not at all enjoyable. I was thrilled when several companies started making tortillas without the hydrogenated fat - and I haven't made my own tortillas since (guess I could get rid of the tortilla maker/press now - lol).

I cannot make bread to save my life, except for my grandmother's dinner rolls. Does that make you feel better? :grouphug:

Yes, because I am routinely complimented on my bread, which I make by hand. :D

I'm with you, Tara I hated making tortillas but did it when I couldn't find any store bought ones w/o hydrogenated fats. I found it very time consuming and not at all enjoyable. I was thrilled when several companies started making tortillas without the hydrogenated fat

Yep, Trader Joe's ROCKS!!!

Ok, I am going to display my ignorance here, so if you laugh at me please do so discreetly. Tortillas are used to make burritos, right? So if you make small tortillas, the burritos are going to be tiny, correct? One of the reasons I hated making tortillas is because I hated having to roll them out so huge. I am not handy with a rolling pin.

Tara