Menu

WWYD If you found a young child unattended in a running car in a parking lot?

In the past month I have twice been confronted with this situation.

I was entering/leaving a business to find a child in a car, parked outside the door of business, totally alone in the car. I glanced inside to make sure there wasn't another person who was out of view.

The child was out of visual range of the parent who was inside the business (I obviously didn't know where the parent was at first glance). I surveyed the immediate area to make sure the parent wasn't near by. Neither parent saw me looking in the car, to prove that they were not in line of sight with the child.

They were left alone for more than 2 minutes (the time it took for me to realize what was happening and to stop and assess the situation and to realize the parent wasn't just away for a second or two.)

The child was in a car that was running, had a/c or the windows down so immediate heat danger was not present.

The child was 2-4yo, buckled in a car seat.

I will say what I did after I get some responses because I want to know what others would do.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was entering/leaving a business to find a child in a car, parked outside the door of business, totally alone in the car. I glanced inside to make sure there wasn't another person who was out of view.

The child was out of visual range of the parent who was inside the business (I obviously didn't know where the parent was at first glance). I surveyed the immediate area to make sure the parent wasn't near by. Neither parent saw me looking in the car, to prove that they were not in line of sight with the child.

They were left alone for more than 2 minutes (the time it took for me to realize what was happening and to stop and assess the situation and to realize the parent wasn't just away for a second or two.)

The child was in a car that was running, had a/c or the windows down so immediate heat danger was not present.

I will say what I did after I get some responses because I want to know what others would do.

I would probably wait by the car until the parent returned and kindly say that I was concerned and wanted to be sure the child was safe. I might offer a gentle word that someone could have easily reported that situation to the authorities and that just causes unnecessary trouble.

I JUST now will leave my 9 1/2 year old in a locked car (in this heat I have to leave the air on) for a quick run into certain stores. Not Wal-Mart. That parking lot is too big and too many weirdos there.

I would call the police.

I've only noticed an unattended child in a car once. It was outside of a laundromat. I pulled out my cell phone to dial the police and the mother instantly appeared. A small child's safety is more important than worrying about embarrassing the mother.

what i have done and what i will do again....

I have been in that situation. First, I checked to make sure the door was locked/unlocked. In the case I was in, the door was locked. I reentered the store, kept the car in view and told the closest employee of the store to ANNOUNCE on the loud speaker to the parent that left their child in the car to come to the front of the store immediately. When the father, came to the front- I told him I worked for CFSD (child famiy service division) and that leaving a child that age in a car alone is illegal. He told me she was sleep and didnt want to wake her. I told him that didn't matter in the least and to not do it again.

Did I lie? Yes I no longer had any affiliation with CFSD. Was it illegal? Yes. Would I go there again? Yes or, if my kids were with me or if I felt it wasn't safe to do what I did again, I'd call the location police dept. No question about it. I know parents who regret that decision they made and hate thinking another child/family would have to go through what my friends have.

BTW, if the car was unlocked, I would have taken the child back into the store with me to show the parent how quickly a child could have been kidnapped.

What about going to the front of the store, keeping the child in sight as much as possible, and asking an employee to page the owner of car license# so and so? I wouldn't wait for them to finish shopping. Then, I'd point out the danger to the guardian. You might get told to mind your own business, but I'd still do it.

what i have done and what i will do again....

I have been in that situation. First, I checked to make sure the door was locked/unlocked. In the case I was in, the door was locked. I reentered the store, kept the car in view and told the closest employee of the store to ANNOUNCE on the loud speaker to the parent that left their child in the car to come to the front of the store immediately. When the father, came to the front- I told him I worked for CFSD (child famiy service division) and that leaving a child that age in a car alone is illegal. He told me she was sleep and didnt want to wake her. I told him that didn't matter in the least and to not do it again.

Did I lie? Yes I no longer had any affiliation with CFSD. Was it illegal? Yes. Would I go there again? Yes or, if my kids were with me or if I felt it wasn't safe to do what I did again, I'd call the location police dept. No question about it. I know parents who regret that decision they made and hate thinking another child/family would have to go through what my friends have.

BTW, if the car was unlocked, I would have taken the child back into the store with me to show the parent how quickly a child could have been kidnapped.[/QUOTE]

I'd do it if the child were in danger but otherwise, I wouldn't go into a car & remove a child.

That is so hard to know what to do! Wow. I'll be interested to hear what you did.

I've left a kid in a car for a few minutes before though. The kid was four and I was running into the gas station to pay and she asked to not have to go in because she was playing with her horses. I left her, double checked that the doors were locked (it was spring so it wasn't hot), and kept an eagle eye on her while I was paying. I was gone maybe a minute and she wasn't out of my sight even for a second. I know a lot of people wouldn't have done that but I evaluated the situation and did what I felt was okay. I guess that's what parenting is about.

If the kid was closer to two and the parents couldn't see them ... I probably wouldn't have left a kid in that situation.

Assuming you are very sure that there is no heat danger, I would wait with the car and the child until the parent returned. I would then comment that I had watched the child and was concerned about the heat. And then go on about my business. I find confrontation very very hard, but it is harder for me to think about the possible death of the child.

But I recently moved to CA from AZ and yesterday it was 94 degrees here in CA. I would call 911 for a possible heat related emergency. I witnessed a Mom accidentally lock her keys and toddler in a car in AZ in the summer. The car was running with the air conditioning on so no immediate heat danger but the Fire Department was called. They arrived in less than 3 minutes and popped the front door open in 30 seconds. They commented at the time that if it hadn't been super easy to get the front door open they would have broken the window. Heat related stuff can happen fast.

Many people do this once without thinking... or the child could be in the care of an older sibling. (when we had my niece staying here she left my just turned 6 DD in the car so she could see her friends :cursing:). DH left DD in the car (5 years old) for 5 minutes one time and a woman was already talking to her when he got back. I told him he was very stupid, but the situation would have been much worse if the police were called.

I would wait for 10-15 minutes to see if the parent (or baby sitter) was going to be very fast, and then lecture them about what could have happened when they came back. Longer than that, then more action could be taken.

It would depend on the type of business. I have left my kids in the car while I ran into the bank or the gas station, post office, or even the convience store to buy a carton of milk etc. When hot or cold out I leave the car running to keep the a/c or heat on. For things like a grocery store or a wal-mart, a hardware store etc. THings where it is a large store, that I would be in for more than 5 minutes, no way to see the car etc I bring them all in. I extend the same sort of thing to others, I assess the whole situation, age of child, type of location, temperature out etc.

I'd do it if the child were in danger but otherwise, I wouldn't go into a car & remove a child.

:iagree:

Also, I want to make it clear it's NOT something I would ever do, but is it actually illegal? I know it can become neglect if something happens (death from heat, for example), but I don't think the actual act is illegal?

I personally would probably just wait for the parents to come back and make sure no one else tried to kidnap or anything - if it became an alarmingly long time I would call 911. I don't think I would confront anyone.

I would wait a few minutes for the parents. It is against the law but I generally wouldn't say or do anything past make sure no one took off with the kid. I'm thinking situations like paying for gas, grabbing a soda, etc.

Note: Scarlett, you might want to check your state law as leaving a 9yo in a car unattended is also against the law here.

However, if it were more than a couple minutes, I WOULD call the police. A number of issues could come up and I wouldn't risk a child's life even if his parents would.

To be honest, I'm REALLY happy the kids you saw were in car seats. I really worry about 3-8yos jumping around in a car that is turned on!

I'm personally a rule follower. The law here is no one under 12 in a car unattended. My kids went with me (or were the ones to go in a store) no matter what.

I'll dissent :)

I have left my son (age 5 at the time - and maybe once at age 4) in the car while I ran into the library and picked up books. I've left him at times of the year when heat isn't a danger and have left him on the phone with his father or grandparents. I've been in and out in under 5 minutes (yes, I time it).

There is a danger with thinking you'll run a quick errand and getting delayed, but I also do think that depending on length of time (like gas station example above) and location, it may be fine.

If you're concerned, keep a watch on the child and note the time. If the parent isn't back within 5 min (depending on weather and environment), then call the police or have an announcement made, but give a bit of time.

I would wait a few minutes for the parents. It is against the law but I generally wouldn't say or do anything past make sure no one took off with the kid. I'm thinking situations like paying for gas, grabbing a soda, etc.

Note: Scarlett, you might want to check your state law as leaving a 9yo in a car unattended is also against the law here.

However, if it were more than a couple minutes, I WOULD call the police. A number of issues could come up and I wouldn't risk a child's life even if his parents would.

To be honest, I'm REALLY happy the kids you saw were in car seats. I really worry about 3-8yos jumping around in a car that is turned on!

I'm personally a rule follower. The law here is no one under 12 in a car unattended. My kids went with me (or were the ones to go in a store) no matter what.

Well that answers my question :) Thanks.

I'll dissent :)

I have left my son (age 5 at the time - and maybe once at age 4) in the car while I ran into the library and picked up books. I've left him at times of the year when heat isn't a danger and have left him on the phone with his father or grandparents. I've been in and out in under 5 minutes (yes, I time it).

There is a danger with thinking you'll run a quick errand and getting delayed, but I also do think that depending on length of time (like gas station example above) and location, it may be fine.

If you're concerned, keep a watch on the child and note the time. If the parent isn't back within 5 min (depending on weather and environment), then call the police or have an announcement made, but give a bit of time.

:iagree: THANKS! I do the opposite at the library. I stay in the car and DD runs in for the books. :lol: All she has to do is pick them up at the front desk within view from the outside.

Here is the law for Ca, for those interested, might be similar in your state

California Vehicle Code 15620

(a) A parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for a child who is 6 years of age or younger may not leave that child inside a motor vehicle without being subject to the supervision of a person who is 12 years of age or older, under either of the following circumstances: (1) Where there are conditions that present a significant risk to the child's health or safety. (2) When the vehicle's engine is running or the vehicle's keys are in the ignition, or both.

It's against the law here and that law has been very well advertised (so everyone should know it). You can't even do that if it's in your own driveway. I would call the police. My middle dd could easily get out of her carseat at that age and I think my other two could have if they had tried. Anything could have happened in a running car with a young child in it! Yep, I would call the police, mainly because I'm not brave enough to confront people like that. You never know who has a carry permit and has had a bad day!

Melissa

Also, I want to make it clear it's NOT something I would ever do, but is it actually illegal? I know it can become neglect if something happens (death from heat, for example), but I don't think the actual act is illegal?

In our state, it is illegal to leave them in the car if it is running. They are considered an unlicensed driver (if the car is running, and someone is in it they are supposed to have a driver's license.) If the car is not running, it would depend on the situation.

I'd call the police, too, & report the license plate # w/ the details, so that even if the parent has returned before the police arrive, there will still be follow-up. A parent who will leave their kids in the car once will do it again & needs to know the dangers as well as the laws.

Seeing this level of neglect is shocking to me...I don't know what else to say.

If it's the kind of business where the parent is likely able to keep the car in view - like at a gas station, I'd stand & watch for a few minutes.

If nobody appears within a few mins, or calls out to ask me why I'm staring at their kid/car, then I'd call the police.

I have the non-emergency police # on my cell for just those sort of calls - you want to report but it's not an emergency. Of course if there was heat involved or the child was in distress, then that would warrant an emergency call & possibly smashing the window.

I didn't know this, but the first 5 minutes don't count in our law:

if you leave a child age seven or under alone in a vehicle for five minutes or more, the law kicks in. Also, if you leave you child in the vehicle for more than five minutes with another person age 14 or under the law applies.

ETA: from Childrens Hospital

It can take only a few minutes before temperatures inside an automobile become lethal. Within the first 10 minutes the interior temperature of a closed vehicle can rise 19 degrees above the outside temperature; in 20 minutes, the interior of a car can be 29 degrees hotter than outside.

If it were 86 degrees (mild for Texas summers), internal car temperatures can quickly reach 135 to 154 degrees.

Actually, I was wrong about the law according to this site: http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/SeeAndSave/hotcars-stats.asp I think there is a lot of misinformation, but I am GLAD that the misinformation is putting the age limit HIGHER, not lower. I personally WOULD wait for a parent of an 8-10 yr old to return. An unlimited amount of time being legal at those ages concerns me.

Edited by 2J5M9K
more stuff....LOL

I don't know what state it was in, but I saw a news report about a parent being charged because she left a small child in the car in her own driveway to run back in to get something. By the time she came back, the car had been stolen with the child in it. They found the child unharmed a few blocks away. The police said they were sympathetic, but the parent did break the law, even if it was only a few minutes on their own property.

Even for one minute it's dangerous. Just a few weeks ago, I watched America's Most Wanted and one of the cases involved a mother who left her child in a car to run a quick errand and the mother ended up being murdered and her child almost kidnapped.

Basically the surveillance video showed the mom park the car in a parking lot at a convenience store. The mom left her little girl in the car because she was sleeping. While in the store, a car thief came to steal the car and the mother, knowing her baby was inside, ran out of the store to stop the thief. She was shot and killed trying to keep the man from stealing her car with her baby inside.

Now, if this mother had taken her baby inside the store, she might not have been so quick to confront the thief and may be alive today. Her car would have been stolen...or maybe not since she probably wouldn't have left it running, but she and her baby would be safe.

It only takes a few seconds for something bad to happen.

I'm actually amazed that anyone would think it's safe to leave 5 or 6 year olds in a car alone. I'm not thinking about heat or cold, I'm thinking about criminals.

I wonder if it's a regional thing. I don't make any assumptions about our safety, but I'm from Metro Detroit.

When my oldest was an infant, I left her strapped into her car seat in my car for approximately 20 seconds while I returned a cart to the corral that was one 1 or 2 parking spaces away from my vehicle, which was never out of my view. In that short time, a woman walking out of the store noticed my daughter and started to freak out because she was "alone." I think she would have called the police if I had taken 30 seconds instead of 20, and I was alarmed by how startled she was even though I was RIGHT THERE the whole time.

So, although I think it's possible to overreact, I think you need to get a handle on what's happening and make an assessment based on that particular situation. How long a child is left unattended or out of sight is an important factor to consider. My BIL is a paramedic, and one of his worst, most disturbing calls was to the scene of a parking lot where a child had been locked in a car for many hours on a hot day. It does happen.

Yes, at least in Nebraska it is against the law to leave a child under the age of 12 unaccompanied in a parked vehicle. This law resulted from the abduction and murder of 2 children under those circumstances.

It is really tempting to just run in. Especially when I had 3 kids under 3 years of age. But never for a second would I leave them alone while I went into a store. Things can happen just too quickly.

If I saw a kid unattended, I'd make sure there was no climate-related danger, wait for maybe 10 minutes, then proceed into the store for the page-the-parent action. I would not remove a child from a car unless the situation was life threatening for the child. It sure would be ironic to do that and end up facing criminal charges myself!

I'd have probably called the police. It doesn't take long for an experienced car thief to break into a car. If you leave the keys in it, it's just easier for them to take off.

Anyone remember the car theft involving a young boy left in the car while his mother popped in to the dry cleaners? I believe it happened in Texas. The boy died a horrific death. So heartbreaking. I'm sure it still haunts his mother to this day.

It's just not worth taking a chance, IMO.

I have called the police before and I would again. Just because a car is running doesn't mean a child isn't endangered. I have heard many stories of cars being stolen with child inside. Recently there have been several news stories about children driving cars. Just because a car is running doesn't mean the air conditioning is running. We all know that a quick trip in a store or business can take longer than we intend. At that age I wouldn't take any chances. It is better to ensure the safety of a child that to worry about offending the absentee parent.

Anyone else read the news story where the car full of show dogs died when the air conditioning in the vehicle stopped working?

I would not under any circumstance leave my child anywhere- let alone a locked car. It could be stolen, and it's not like no one would ever break a window to drive away with a car with the keys in the ignition. Say the car gets hit while you're in the store. How do you explain to the cops why you were inside and your child was locked "safely" in your car?

If I saw a 4 year old child locked in a car- I'd take down the license plate number and call the police. I wouldn't wait for the parent to show up.

Curious- what would you do if you saw a child riding in the lap of an adult in a car and not in a car seat? Would it be any less dangerous that they were going 1/4 a mile down the road?

Just last week in a neighboring community a mother left her one year old and 2 1/2 year old in a running car. They think that the 2 1/2 year old somehow turned the ac to heat and got out of the car. They found the running car about 90 minutes later and the one year old was covered with heat blisters. She died on the way to the hospital. The mother has been charged with child endangerment. So I would wait just a couple of minutes before calling the police. While most people will just leave for a few minutes, you just never if this case would be longer.

The only time I leave my kids inside the car is when I'm at the bank and the ATM is outside. If I have to go inside for any reason (bank, post office, convenience store...), the kids come with me.

I would have stayed by the car until the parents came out. If they didn't return within 5-10 minutes, I would have called the police.

The car was probably locked and alarmed. I don't see the child as being in danger in a situation like that. I know that's not a popular answer, but there you go. I would not do this myself, but in certain areas of my town, the were be little to no danger in doing this. Sure the car could catch fire, but the store the parent is in could also have a madman shooting it up.

What would I do? I would probably keep in eye on the car for a few minutes, assess the immediate danger, if any. I would probably not call the police. A sleeping child strapped in a car seat n a locked car w/ A/C for a very few minutes, depending on the place/time/etc is not likey to be in any danger at all, esp if there are people like us to help each other out. I am saddened that we live in a society where the first inclination is to report the parent to social servies or the police rather than be eyes for each other.

Edited by LibraryLover
spelling, as usual

A friend of mine also had the police called because she left her kids in the car to return a cart to the store. That is ridiculous! I would rather have my kids safe in the car than spending any more time in a parking lot while I returned a cart! That is why I said I would stay by the car for 5 minutes (at least) before calling the police.

For those who said they would never leave their children in a car, do you mean even at places where the car never leaves your sight (such as going into a gas station)?

Like I said:

1) I thought the rule was 12yrs old PERIOD

2) I'm a rule follower

So yes, I took them in PERIOD. Now having looked up the law? I probably would lock the car and run into MOST gas stations to pay (though I usuallly pay at the pump and ther eare a few gas stations where I wouldn't feel comfy cuz I couldn't see the car every second).

There is NO way that I would leave a 2, 5, 8 yr old child in the car for 3 or 4 minutes though our law DOES allow that and now I know it.

For those who said they would never leave their children in a car, do you mean even at places where the car never leaves your sight (such as going into a gas station)?

Unless I suddenly become bionic and can outrun my car while it's speeding away, then yes, I mean everywhere. There is no condition ever that would cause me to leave my child alone in my car. Having them in my sight gives me no false sense of security. If I need gas- I pay at the pump. If I need to get a soda, I drive around until I find a soda machine. If I have sick kids and need supplies, then I go through the drive through at CVS. Otherwise, I take them out and take them in with me. Everywhere.

I would probably wait by the car to insure the child's safety. If the parent's didn't return within 5 minutes, I'd probably be on the phone to the police, depending on the circumstances (heat, distance from the parent's location, age of the children, running car, etc.). I am not sure I would want to confront someone who would not likely welcome my interference...there are dangers in that situation as well, and since I am usually with my own children, I would not want them to be endangered by irate adults.

It is a hard situation. I am one who believes in mercy and second chances. It is possible that the parent was distracted or just made an error in judgement, and I'd hate for that to permanently damage their family life with a criminal record or the interference of social services...on the other hand, I'd fear for the children's safety if this was a habit with the parent. I remember being a young mom (about 18 years ago with my "first set" of children) and leaving my kids in the car at

"safe" convenience stores when they were in my sight, but now that I am older and wiser, I would never even do this. I don't even leave my 9 and 11 year olds in the car alone. I would have appreciated someone gently correcting me back then, pointing out the dangers that never would have occurred to me, even though I would have been embarrassed.

I have had nightmares about leaving my children at home or in a car "just for a few minutes" and not being able to get back to them. I just don't do it. Too many things can happen.

Susu

My sister, who was run over (at age 5) by a young child left in a running car (his grandmother was nearby and could see the truck), has a complete fit when she sees kids unattended in a vehicle when it is running (or the keys in the ignition at all!). If a child is capable of getting out of their car seat, they shouldn't be left in it while it is running.

A friend of mine also had the police called because she left her kids in the car to return a cart to the store. That is ridiculous! I would rather have my kids safe in the car than spending any more time in a parking lot while I returned a cart! That is why I said I would stay by the car for 5 minutes (at least) before calling the police.

I try to remember to park nearest to the cart return. If not, then I leave the cart where it is. I got into an argument in the parking lot a few weeks ago when I didn't take my cart back. They were PO'd that I hadn't returned my cart. I told them I wasn't leaving my kids alone to take it back. I only have one key, and no fancy smancy button push to unlock it. Oh, and we were in Parents With Children parking, they were waiting for the space - and had no children.

Yes, I really never leave my children in the car alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prudent viewpost.gif

I'm actually amazed that anyone would think it's safe to leave 5 or 6 year olds in a car alone. I'm not thinking about heat or cold, I'm thinking about criminals.

I wonder if it's a regional thing. I don't make any assumptions about our safety, but I'm from Metro Detroit.

I'm not arguing about a running car, but don't many 5 and 6 year old children walk to school? Here they are expected to. What would be the difference?

I hear you though. I don't leave my kids alone.

Here I don't think it's customary for 5 or 6 year old kids to walk to school alone. I know I never see kids that small alone. I wasn't allowed to walk to school alone until I was in 6th grade, and that was only because my mother was on bed rest. My parents weren't over-protective either. When I finally started walking to school on my own several parents & teachers expressed their concern for my safety.

Just last week in a neighboring community a mother left her one year old and 2 1/2 year old in a running car. They think that the 2 1/2 year old somehow turned the ac to heat and got out of the car. They found the running car about 90 minutes later and the one year old was covered with heat blisters. She died on the way to the hospital. The mother has been charged with child endangerment. So I would wait just a couple of minutes before calling the police. While most people will just leave for a few minutes, you just never if this case would be longer.

I just went to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch to look for that story & saw the story of the 2 young brothers pulled from the river.

:crying:

I would probably wait by the car to insure the child's safety. If the parent's didn't return within 5 minutes, I'd probably be on the phone to the police, depending on the circumstances (heat, distance from the parent's location, age of the children, running car, etc.). I am not sure I would want to confront someone who would not likely welcome my interference...there are dangers in that situation as well, and since I am usually with my own children, I would not want them to be endangered by irate adults.

It is a hard situation. I am one who believes in mercy and second chances. It is possible that the parent was distracted or just made an error in judgement, and I'd hate for that to permanently damage their family life with a criminal record or the interference of social services...on the other hand, I'd fear for the children's safety if this was a habit with the parent. I remember being a young mom (about 18 years ago with my "first set" of children) and leaving my kids in the car at

"safe" convenience stores when they were in my sight, but now that I am older and wiser, I would never even do this. I don't even leave my 9 and 11 year olds in the car alone. I would have appreciated someone gently correcting me back then, pointing out the dangers that never would have occurred to me, even though I would have been embarrassed.

I have had nightmares about leaving my children at home or in a car "just for a few minutes" and not being able to get back to them. I just don't do it. Too many things can happen.

Susu

:iagree:

I try to remember to park nearest to the cart return. If not, then I leave the cart where it is. I got into an argument in the parking lot a few weeks ago when I didn't take my cart back. They were PO'd that I hadn't returned my cart. I told them I wasn't leaving my kids alone to take it back.

Same here.

I only go to the gas station if I can pay at the pump and stand right there with the kids - car off, doors open. I know where all the drive thru ATMs are, too, because yes, if I get out, my kids are getting out.

BTW, if the car was unlocked, I would have taken the child back into the store with me to show the parent how quickly a child could have been kidnapped.

I'd call the cops before ever taking charge of a stranger's child. This seems the quickest and easiest way to be charged with attempted kidnapping, IMHO.