Menu

Who does not participate in co-ops?

mirth

New to all this, I want to ask if WTM hs'ing followers widely participate in co-ops where the group does not follow classical format education? We are involved in a K-1st co-op (we loose adopt the MBtP curricula, but the adaptation is so loose, one could just say we are simply using the table of contents as a guideline), but the fit is feeling less and less right. Last year, many times it seemed like a total waste of time in terms of learning but was excellent for the making friends part. This year, I intuitively do not have a good feeling about what's to come. Any BTDT advice? Thanks!

No co-op, we just joined a group that gets together for play days and field trips, and it works for us so far. I looked at one at one point, but we had already covered nearly all of the material for the next 2 grades by the time Ariel was old enough to join their kindergarten class.

We're backing away a little bit from the co-op this year. For the past two years I've been sending my little guy to classes but he hates them. He hates learning in a classroom environment (hence the homeschooling :D). I even taught his class last year hoping he'd like it better. Nope.

We go to some of the park days. Maybe next year we'll try again with classes.

Mostly we were hoping to form friendships for the kids. It didn't happen in a classroom setting. No time for the kids to get to know each other. I'm thinking the park days will better meet our needs.

I was also hoping the classes would supplement, sort of like an elective. They meet that purpose, but I don't expect a co-op to actually teach my kids the core knowledge they need. So whether I do WTM or something else, co-ops are good as electives.

No co-ops here this year. We've taken advantage of them over the past few years for art only...but the art teacher decided not to do it this year and no one else has stepped up to the plate. (I draw stick people, so I wouldn't have made a good substitute!)

I'm actually getting school accomplished in a more timely fashion now that I'm not running out the door every other Friday!

(My kids are heavily involved in sports, so that's where their friends are).

We are trying a co-op this year but it is for music, art, drama, and p.e. Things that I would never get done or umm.. I am not particularly talented at (LOL-very musically challenged!). I am hoping that it will be a good fit for us.

My neighbor accross the street chose to only join the homeschool group for field trips and park days and that sort of thing. She decided against the classes this year.

I think you have to weigh the good with the bad and see whether the co-op fits your needs with classes offered and time scheduled and whether your kids are liking it and making friends.

What does MBTP stand for? I couldn't find it in the abbreviation sticky.

What does MBTP stand for? I couldn't find it in the abbreviation sticky.

Oops sorry, MBtP = Moving Beyond the Page. It seems to be a sort of catch-all curriculum, for lack of a better word (I'm sure there is a better word too).

Thanks everyone for your input. The whole co-op, if needed, for things like art, p.e., does seem to make more sense to me knowing my skills. Yup. (You all are so smart!) :)

Who does not participate in co-ops?

Many people don't. Many people do. Many good reasons on both sides.

We follow WTM probably 75% of the time. We do not participate in a full day or multiday co-op. We do participate in a science co-op, meeting once per week doing Apologia science with mom's taking turns leading.

It depends on how long the co-op meets, how much of our day/week is taken up. But if I had k/1st graders again, I would not necessarily turn my back on a co-op only because it wasn't classical. If the social aspect is good, and you're talking about a couple hours one day per week, I would consider it a worthy use of my time.

I found the co-ops I attended involved a LOT of work on my part, and the quality of teaching was poor to average. It seemed like a reproduction of a low-quality traditional school -- inexperienced teachers, not enough supplies, discipline problems, high class sizes, poor to average leadership.

I do 'belong' to a very informal Friday field trip group. We do trips, holiday parties, and general fun stuff. But it's only 5 families, and we're all just friends -- not 'teachers' or 'board members' or anything co-op-ish at all.

I know some folks love their co-ops, but it just isn't my cup o' tea.

We have done a couple of co-ops, both of which I felt were VERY good! The first one was run by a Nazarene church and accepted any homeschooler, and had a fun program! The other one was at a non-denominational church, and also accepted all homeschoolers. The first one just ended after we'd been going for a year. The second one we went to for 3 years (one day/week Oct.-May). It was run by a fabulous lady who had a heart for helping homeschoolers succeed. She ended up not being able to do it anymore after our 2nd year, and her sister took over, who ran it like a business. The kids didn't like it anymore, and I did not like how she began to force what SHE felt, instead of working with everyone (LONG story)! So we didn't return after that. Besides, the kids said they WANTED to be at home more!

I really liked the people and the kids that we met, and so did my kiddos, BUT I really want to be in control of the curriculum. We are following WTM fairly closely. I will probably sign them up for 'activities' through the County - which actually runs a great program. DD10 took an art class last winter and she loved it, and the teacher was excellent.

I'm also a former classroom teacher and I have a very definite idea of what my kids should be taught....and how.

Finally, my twins (3rd grade) DO NOT do the 'get in the car, go someplace, and get back in the car and go back home' thing well -- they have never been good at 'transitions' - so if I make our schedule and have ultimate control (there's THAT word again :glare:) over it, I can make sure it works for them.

Gosh, I sound SO anti-social....and I'm not --- but I do like just being with my kids and dh.

This makes me feel a lot better about not joining one when we move away from here. There is one here that is really nice for meeting people (me at least, the kids didn't seem to make any lasting friendships there due to there not being enough time for them to interact).

We're mainly not doing this semester as I am pregnant and due right in the middle of the semester and don't feel like hauling the kids I have there every Friday.

I do understand where some of you are coming from with the quality of teaching, too. I never had any worries before (I have just been a helper) until toward the end of last semester. I had to help a mom out who was teaching U.S. geography and I was the one who had to correct her 50% of the time as to where states, etc, were! :001_huh: Thank goodness all my kids are young and didn't have that class, but it does make me wonder what WAS being taught in my kids' classes! :glare:

We tried one last year and left after 3 months. The only reason we stayed that long was because I was teaching one of the classes. I knew after 2 weeks that it was a mistake. I am a former elementary school teacher - and it was *just* like being in the classroom. 16 kids, LOTS of misbehavior (some was just because kids had never learned how to behave in a group setting - "yes, you must raise your hand because I can't hear you all at once!") And of course the "regular classroom" experience was what I DIDN'T want my kids to have!

Now I have to say that the teachers were FANTASTIC (all were former elem ed teachers - not that you have to have been a PS teacher to be fantastic, but clearly they had done this before!) but the director was very odd. It also was an ALL day co-op and it was just too much, especially for my little K'er and me being a first year HS mom!

We considered one again this year (but it was only going to be half a day) and even though I went in with a very open mind, I knew after the first preliminary meeting that it was not going to work.

Then the light bulb went off that we don't really need a co-op, for all the reasons others have stated (can't control what they learn, takes up too much time/energy, etc) Now, I've stopped looking and honestly, don't plan to do one in the future unless the perfect opportunity presents itself and falls right in my lap :) (and what are the odds of that?)

We have a nice small group of homeschooling friends and that's plenty for us, at least for now. Most people really only have a small group of really close, meaningful friends, even as adults (or maybe that's just me?) ;)

I was in a co-op that was not a good fit. I did find a couple of other mothers who also didn't fit that co-op. We now get together once a week when it works for us to let our kids play and to give us a chance to be with other homeschool moms. It is good for me to know real-life homeschooling mothers and share with them. The co-op just became a burden on us and not worth the amount of time we were putting into it.

Since then, one friend and I both have put our kids in a once-a-week enrichment, and the other friend is joining k12. We are still meeting for playtime and chats. We have found something that works for us. The only thing we need is one more family that has girls instead of boys.

Go with your instincts and make the opportunity that you need.

Guest Cindie2dds
We haven't and won't be joining a co-op. I'm very protective with our time and don't want to over-expend us. Between scouts, children's museum membership, etc., etc., I think a co-op would be overkill.

:iagree:

Thank you all for your replies. It has helped me see that my motivations, though well-meaning, are probably not setting an example I would want my kids to follow later in life (taking a class that's boring or too easy just because their friends are in it). In our area of univs and colleges, there are 1001 things for kids to enroll in year-round. Surely we will meet other nice friends studying areas (topics) that we find thoroughly satisfying and enriching.

Edited by mirth

We have a music co-op/classes here but we do not participate. This will sound horrid - but I loathe being on anyone's schedule other than mine. We do take piano, ballet, sports (sports are through our HS group - but fun and informal) - but since I schedule and pay for those it is different for me. I also homeschool because I want to teach my kids - not subcontract it (and really, any part of it). I could see it for us for supplementation, but at this point we just have too much going on (and the control freak thing in me, LOL!).

New to all this, I want to ask if WTM hs'ing followers widely participate in co-ops where the group does not follow classical format education? We are involved in a K-1st co-op (we loose adopt the MBtP curricula, but the adaptation is so loose, one could just say we are simply using the table of contents as a guideline), but the fit is feeling less and less right. Last year, many times it seemed like a total waste of time in terms of learning but was excellent for the making friends part. This year, I intuitively do not have a good feeling about what's to come. Any BTDT advice? Thanks!

I think it would drive me nuts. Only because I love teaching, making decisions on curriculum and seeing that moment when they "get it." In addition, I hate it when people don't follow through, are late or only give half effort. I decided a long time ago that my expectations would only leave me disappointed and irritable, so I just don't do them.

Heather

We are not participating in any co-ops at this time. I feel that our time at home is so much more productive than in a co-op setting. There is a lot of time involved in a co-op (drive to, participate, and drive home is the better part of an afternoon or morning).

Besides the time factor there is also a money factor to consider.

The only way I will consider a co-op classs is if I get to the point where I am not capable of teaching a particular subject.

Amy

I haven't BTDT in regards to actually doing a Co-op because I could never justify the waste of time to our education. The co-ops available seemed to always be covering stuff that we weren't that year. I've just honestly never had an interest in them. I have a few friends who find the socializing aspect and the "help" they receive with other subjects to be worth it though. Its just not our thing. If you already have a bad feeling that may not bode well for the year...follow your instincts :001_smile: