Menu

Stop the madness!!! -- Thoughts on why you shouldn't re-rethink your curriculum

irizarry4

A Big :grouphug: to all homeschoolers!

I have seen so many posts on re-re-re-rethinking curricula! So I am starting a post where other wise h'sers can advise and encourage all of us on why we do not need to, or should not be rethinking the choices we spent so much time researching in the first place!

I know some of us need some reassurance. :D

:bigear:

Edited by irizarry4

I think subjects like English and Math should not be switched. This is OMHO, because this is when you will find gaps happen the most. People jumping from publisher to publisher in the early grades will find that the sequences vary so much they actually find themselves having to go back several grade levels to cover what they might miss. I think math in K-5th should be at least one basal program and then supplement as you wish, I feel the same about English. I find other subjects like history , science and art more flexible to switch from.

I have 3 completely different learners, 1 average, 1 slightly above average and 1 gifted (WISC II tested). They all have a different basal program and I may supplement with other stuff but I stay with one, this is not my original idea. My SIL has her MA from MIT in mathematics and she is the one who said to do this. With that said, all my children have tested WAY above grade level on the IOWA and they have solid math skills. They are as strong if not stronger in English, with my 6th grader getting a 13+ on her English portion of the IOWAS.

My suggestion is to read about learning styles, Cynthia Tobias has a great book. Take learning style assessment tests and place them in curricula that matches that style, supplement, take breaks to learn facts but keep that basal program:)

A Big :grouphug: to all homeschoolers!

I have seen so many posts on re-re-re-rethinking curricula! So I am starting a post where other wise h'sers can advise and encourage all of us on why we do not need to, or should not be rethinking the choices we spent so much time researching in the first place!

I know some of us need some reassurance. :D

:bigear:

Well, for one thing...it will never end. There will always be another curriculum that shines a little more than the next. You don't want to end up with 2 or more different curriculums (same subjects), just to end up going back to the original curriculum you should have stuck with in the first place.:lol:

Edited by LUV2EDU

But maybe you should change.

What are your end goals?

What are your short-term goals?

Choose materials based on whether they will help you accomplish your goals.

If you choose unwisely, it can be wise to switch.

:seeya:

What are your end goals?

:iagree:

I'm a firm believer in long-range planning. No, I don't know what specific curricula dd will be using in fifth grade, much less twelfth. I do have a general idea of where I want her to be at the end of high school, the end of eighth grade, the end of fifth grade, and the end of next year (fourth grade), and it makes it easier to choose curriculum when I keep those all in mind as a choose!

If anyone's like me, though, you need something to do as you finish planning for the year... who else admits to starting to at least research for 2010-2011? ;)

Yes, yes, yes! The problem that I see with all the researching, planning, re-thinking, re-purchasing, etc., etc., is that it leaves very little time for actual teaching. It's the focused, dedicated teacher that will have well-learned, enthusiastic learners. And they will be so, not because of curriculum choices, but because the children have been taught diligence, fostered a love of learning, and the ability to focus.

Make a well-researched choice and stick with it. Every now and then a change will be required, but I can honestly say that in 8 years of homeschooling I have only really needed to change a curriculum choice about 3 times.

But maybe you should change.

What are your end goals?

If you choose unwisely, it can be wise to switch.

In total agreement here. Make a list of goals and post them. If a curriculum fits your goals, keep it, if it does not then switch. I also agree with not switching math and LA unless in dire need because of differences in scope and sequence. Once you made the decision, hide in a dark hole until school starts so that you don't see the "options".:lol:

... than to wait for the exactly PERFECT one.

The time is better spent teaching your child, and being with your child, and educating yourself, than obsessing over whether you picked the very best curriculum for the job.

---Carol, recovering curriculum junkie

I'm not one who has jumped around much in the scheme of things, partly because of finances and partly because I've seen some of the results of too many changes in kids I've taught in homeschool co-ops and at the college level as a part-time community college professor. I also know as a professional educator that a good teacher can make any decent book work. I have a friend who has used largely public school cast-offs, things people gave her, and the library, and her kids are doing very well academically. I taught her oldest at the college this summer and saw the end results of a mom who cares and who put the effort in with what she could get.

I also have seen as a mother that the more time I spend with my kids, the better they do in school. Some years ago when I did a lot more planning, it frankly got in the way of things that mattered more. :D

Guest janainaz

I have never ever switched curriculum.

I read TWTM, loved it, and have taken their suggestions on curriculum choices. I dabbled in TOG for about a month and was waking up at night with my heart pounding, waking up with anxiety, and decided to continue with what is working. I refrain from looking at everything offered out there to hs'ers because I know I will start second-guessing my decisions. My kids are doing great and I'm going to just rest with that. I decided back in first grade that I would do my research and make a decision based on my instinct with my kids and what made sense to me teaching.

My younger son who is 4.5 is definitely a different type of learner than my older son. However, I have the bones of my curriculum set and can tweak whatever I need to help my younger one grasp whatever concept is being taught. I really think that kids need consistency and switching around has to be harder on them in the long-run.

If anyone's like me, though, you need something to do as you finish planning for the year... who else admits to starting to at least research for 2010-2011? ;)

I admit it! Not just planning, but I've already bought the curriculum for it! :lol:

Reading these boards can be hazardous for a curriculum junkie. I am trying REALLY HARD to take the advice to spend my time teaching instead of researching. :001_smile:

Once you made the decision, hide in a dark hole until school starts so that you don't see the "options".

I'm here from about april until august, then I GO AWAY from here so that I'm not tempted by anything! Otherwise, I will lose all track of time and change my mind on things. I lose my focus. Going into a dark hole keeps me sane, planning wise.

Lesley

:seeya: I did, and actually I already have purchased math, grammar and handwriting. :tongue_smilie: At least this way I'll be consistent from this year to next! :laugh:

:tongue_smilie::lol:Hiding in a dark hole!:lol:

I totally agree!

Browsing curriculum is so fun, though. I let myself explore options and re-re-consider what I'm doing UNTIL it's bought. Then that's it until this time next year. I used to get really uptight about it and think that I'm missing something or I should do something different. BUT, I've noticed over time that the more I see what is out there and just become more experienced in general, I'm able to filter out all the stuff out there much easier. I already know things that won't work for me, or that I'm not interested in based on either prior knowledge or experience.

The idea that any curriculum *actually used* can and will work if I make it work, frees me up from having to find "the perfect" one.

Feel free to disagree, but I think even a "bad" curriculum, if taught consistently will result in learning, so I can just relax and enjoy browsing as long as I get to the teaching part. I have learned a lot from reading about different curricula and methods. It has become somewhat of a hobby. :tongue_smilie:

So, I think rule of thumb is "all things in moderation".

So, if browsing makes you crazy and keeps you from doing what you need to, then it's out of balance.

Re-re-re-re-re-thinking your curriculum is making some of you crazy.

Yes?

Ears plugged-not-not-not-not going there-knot in my stomach-scared to even start thinking about the next bit is- probably equally unhealthy and brings a healthy dose of crazy. That's me.

Could some of you re-re-re-re thinkers send some of your crazy to me and I'll send some of my can't get there attitude to you. Deal?

I've decided the Peachey Academy will open its doors again in October. I've not even started to unwind from those stupid standardized tests and we're in the third week of July already.

T

Is the goal to buy the Next Best Thing?

There will always be another Next Best Thing.

If so, Happy Shopping.

I buy/bought a lot I never used. Re-sold in the package as we grew out of it before starting it. That's not a bad thing.

I've had it in case I used it, I liked it, it was efficient, but we did something else. So what :lol:

I do buy a lot "Just to see it" . . . how else would I evaluate this stuff? Well, it's just my preferred method of doing so I suppose........makes the Used Market pretty Happy :-)

My personal theory (and I chant it regularly so it must needs be fulfilled) is that I can monkey about all I want when kiddo is little, so that by time he is 10 I WILL HAVE MY ACT together, and be confident about it, too.

Repeat daily:

I will know everything.

I will see the way clearly.

(this is the homeschooler's coueism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89mile_Cou%C3%A9

and I'm grateful my parents brought up this man, with their Rabelais-ic humor, so often in my childhood. Looking at the wikipedia entry, I see he was a pharmacist, so perhaps his giddy optimism was partially drug-induced.)

I think curriculum swapping is bad for Language Arts and Math especially, but having 4 kids and just starting out I chose to go with a curriculum that worked afterschooling with my ds6. We decided to homeschool and I just went on and bought what I needed from that curriculum for my dd7 and dd9.

I didn't research anything else. I had no clue what my dd's learning styles were...they had been in public school. I wasn't a member on any boards and just thought this was great for afterschooling and really helped ds. I learned a valuable lesson. Not all kids learn the same way and afterschooling with some parts of a curriculum is not the same as schooling with all of it with 3 very different kids! So I do think that if you start off with a good program and it just doesn't work with your kid/kids that researching and figuring out what will work with your child is in the best interest of everyone.

I can't change right now b/c of money, but I do want to research and get feedback on the things I am looking at. I couldn't imagine changing curriculum every year. I want to find what will work and set a plan to make it work long term. Likewise, if something isn't working, I don't want to feel married to a curriculum b/c I made a bad choice that doesn't really fit dc.

I also have seen as a mother that the more time I spend with my kids, the better they do in school. Some years ago when I did a lot more planning, it frankly got in the way of things that mattered more. :D

:iagree: I used to be very curriculum-driven, always looking for the perfect fit. Now I've realized that there isn't one-it's my time with them that matters most. I try now to pick solid curriculum and then spend the TIME doing it rather than in (over)planning!

This is good, sage advice much needed by people like me. This was my 1st year w/ WTM, however, so I was still feeling my way around. I have learned this and remind myself of it frequently: Just because you can click and drag it into your online shopping cart doesn't mean you can click and drag it into your child's brain. I can't do it all, and neither can my children. There is a limit. Doing 2 maths is crazy if your child doesn't LOVE math.

I have analyzed to death curriculum choices for just about every subject, some more than once. You know what? In most cases, I ended up right back where I started, continuing with what I was already using! I do have confidence now in why I am using what I'm using, where before I was just using someone else's recommendations.

There is merit in familiarizing yourself with various teaching methods and with your own personal "homeschool mission statement" - your personal/spiritual/educational/etc. reasons for doing it. That way there is something to guide you through the endless sea of curricula.

Just 2 cents from a "still learning" perspective. :)

In my opinion, the only reason to change is because something is demonstrably not working. If it's working, don't change it just because the grass looks greener at another curriculum publisher. If you have bought your curriculum for next year but haven't yet started using it, then it's not demonstrably not working, so there's no reason to change.

Tara

If I did not research and re-think my curriculum choices, what would I do with myself? Maybe I could...go on a date with that handsome stranger I'm married to, play with the kids, go hiking, go to the pool, visit the Art Museum, go to the driving range with the dc, get the oldest driving on the highway (sound of teeth chattering here), teach my dd to sew like she has been asking me to, paint the new closet doors and trim I purchased a couple of moths ago, sit on the deck with a glass of wine under the stars in the evening, plan another camping trip, update my wardrobe (much needed), try a few new recipes I've been meaning to get to, get together with my neglected girlfriends...

My suggestion is to read about learning styles, Cynthia Tobias has a great book. Take learning style assessment tests and place them in curricula that matches that style, supplement, take breaks to learn facts but keep that basal program:)

:iagree:Sooo important to match curricula to learning styles, esp. to start!

Hmmm, A lot of people said to spend time with your family, not research curriculum. I DO spend time with my kids and family! LOTS of time. When they are busy with other things, then I do my research, so I'm not neglecting anyone while I look at curriculum! :001_huh:

I find it inspiring to see what's out there, to learn what I can, to keep on top of things! I ENJOY reading about, seeing, and trying things! We don't constantly switch from thing to thing, but if something's not working, I am not one to force my chldren through it because I decided this is the curriculum they should be using! I'm sure most of us wouldn't do that, at least I hope not! There will be bad days, and jumping to another curriculum for a bad day or two wouldn't be good! But, if it's really not working, I will certainly do some research and find something that will! Sometimes we flounder awhile, but ultimately end up with something that works well. That's one of the reasons I enjoy homeschooling---the ability to choose curriculum that best fits my childrens needs--which may mean shifting things around now and then!:001_smile:

Hmmm, A lot of people said to spend time with your family, not research curriculum. I DO spend time with my kids and family! LOTS of time. When they are busy with other things, then I do my research, so I'm not neglecting anyone while I look at curriculum! :001_huh:

I find it inspiring to see what's out there, to learn what I can, to keep on top of things! I ENJOY reading about, seeing, and trying things! We don't constantly switch from thing to thing, but if something's not working, I am not one to force my chldren through it because I decided this is the curriculum they should be using! I'm sure most of us wouldn't do that, at least I hope not! There will be bad days, and jumping to another curriculum for a bad day or two wouldn't be good! But, if it's really not working, I will certainly do some research and find something that will! Sometimes we flounder awhile, but ultimately end up with something that works well. That's one of the reasons I enjoy homeschooling---the ability to choose curriculum that best fits my childrens needs--which may mean shifting things around now and then!:001_smile:

:iagree:Sometimes there are circumstance changes or you simply grow in your ability as a teacher and you want to do more or different. Sorry. Too tired to get that sentence right.:tongue_smilie:

If it is their first year homeschooling, they can re-think all day long and still not necessarily find the groove with the curriculum they settle on. Last year was my first year homeschooling my older ds (I have homeschooled ds6 since day 1) and he had come out of public school. Last year was a LOT of trial and error. This year, I feel so much better and more well prepared. I actually did buy an entire selection of curriculum and then decide to simplify and change around May. However, that one big change I made early on has been great!

As I sit here in a hotel at a homeschool conference....

I think has boiled down (finally) to finding what my teaching method is and how that is carried out with whatever curriculum I choose. It took me 5 years of mistakes--ok, kind of mistakes as the kids were learning, but it took me that long to stop buying things that did not work for me.

I settled on the CM method and can now judge a book in a few minutes as to whether it will actually get done...or sit on the shelf.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents because sometimes it is a long process of trial and error to get to the point where you are a confident, capable teacher with happy students.

Now I am at the conference for FUN. ONLY. I want to pick the brains of people in the know and mentally cross 500 things off my mind's list of possibles and add a few that look good for the future. :)

Yes, yes, yes! The problem that I see with all the researching, planning, re-thinking, re-purchasing, etc., etc., is that it leaves very little time for actual teaching. It's the focused, dedicated teacher that will have well-learned, enthusiastic learners. And they will be so, not because of curriculum choices, but because the children have been taught diligence, fostered a love of learning, and the ability to focus.

Make a well-researched choice and stick with it. Every now and then a change will be required, but I can honestly say that in 8 years of homeschooling I have only really needed to change a curriculum choice about 3 times.

:iagree:So true. Thanks for the reminder. Researching curriculum can become a full time job to the neglect of teaching. Am I the only one guilty of this at times?

i have used TWTMs suggestions almost exclusively since we began, but only this year am I seeing a need to maybe change things up a bit, not to mention that some of TWTM suggestions are hard to find (according to the last version).

and it can be addicting researching curriculum, but I do it at night or in the early morning hours so as NOT to take away from my family.

:iagree:So true. Thanks for the reminder. Researching curriculum can become a full time job to the neglect of teaching. Am I the only one guilty of this at times?

nope:blush:

I think I NEEDED to do *most* of the researching I've done. I view it as my teacher-training LOL! I want a consistant path from 1st grade to 12th grade...I want to wrestle with these things while my dc are young. I want to be able to quickly tweak things for my younger dc if I see their learning styles are different (so having 5 different math currics in the cabinet is a good thing? right?:lol: same with reading? right?:D:lol:) I know when they are older I won't have the time to sit and compare the different methods for teaching reading or math. Ugh!

I do think I'm at the point now, where most of my research is for fun and not really teaching me anything new...:tongue_smilie: balance....where is that balance?

There is another more valuable way to spend time than researching curriculum, too, besides teaching or spending time with your family. It is in learning the subject area. Many moms are experts in history curriculum, for example, and know minute details of ten different ones. If the time invested in that were spent instead on learning history itself more deeply, it would be more valuable to her children in the long run.

I agree with parents needing to spend time learning the subject, but with a caveat. I know I have had instructors who were brilliant, well-known in their fields, but couldn't teach worth beans.

An example from my own life:

I am a more accomplished pianist than my mother. My mother is a more accomplished piano teacher than I. She now teaches my children piano and I see them progressing whereas when I was teaching them they were not. Why this is so: She has spent many years learning not just about music itself, but about how to teach piano (piano pedagogy).

If it weren't true that everyone who knows the subject can effectively teach it, then we wouldn't have whole departments of education in universities across the world. I came to homeschooling already well educated, but struggling to know how to teach and reach my children with all this wonderful knowledge and love of the subjects.

Spending time reading about how different companies approach teaching various ways is becoming my BA in Education. :tongue_smilie:

... than to wait for the exactly PERFECT one.

The time is better spent teaching your child, and being with your child, and educating yourself, than obsessing over whether you picked the very best curriculum for the job.

---Carol, recovering curriculum junkie

My thinking, exactly. I am entering our 9th year of homeschooling, and always, the most productive school year for us was when we just went ahead and plodded through the material, perfect or not. I have to curb my impulse of checking out those new materials that comes out year after year. In the meantime, however, I don't see any harm of checking them out as long as I continously work on the ones that I have.:tongue_smilie:

Well, once you find something that works well for you, you should stick with it and not worry about every other new thing that comes along. We started Easy Grammar followed by R&S before Growing with Grammar & FLL came out. Even though we did get FLL 1 for my ds (because I hated English for the Thoughtful Child for us--no barbs intended as some love it). I like FLL a LOT, but refused to buy something new for the grades with Easy Grammar & R&S when our system already works.

On the other hand, with math we shopped around a few times before finding the very best combination for us. I even printed a free one this spring that I really, really like. But, in the end, it would cost more to print it all out than to buy the workbooks for what we have that do work for us after that shopping around, and I can't do all those math programs, so I'm sticking with what I have.

So, if it works well, stick with it, but be flexible if what works well for some dc totally bombs for another. Just don't switch because someone raves about some new curriculum that you don't really need.

(Just don't ask me about Algebra on this thread, because I broke that rule there and am not sorry I did.)

Edited by Karin

There is another more valuable way to spend time than researching curriculum, too, besides teaching or spending time with your family. It is in learning the subject area. Many moms are experts in history curriculum, for example, and know minute details of ten different ones. If the time invested in that were spent instead on learning history itself more deeply, it would be more valuable to her children in the long run.
I think different people have different meanings for the phrase "researching curriculum"! What I mean when I say it is that I like spending time especially here on this site, researching and seeing what's available and what people think about the different curriculums. I have found some real gems, that have helped my children immensely, because of my being on this site and trying something I've found while researching!

It also helps me understand the subject better. Part of what I include when I say research, is that I research the curriculum and the subject as deeply as I can understand it. I've learned immensely that way, and can better help my children learn because I've done that!

As I said before, I do a lot of the research while my kids are in bed or doing other things (like reading, playing outside, etc.), and I do it with them as I am teaching the subject. Actually they help me learn it better sometimes by asking questions and discussing things with me! :001_smile: I don't think people should assume that because others are researching they're not spending time with their kids, or teaching them or delving into/learning more about the subjects! Honestly, I couldn't spend much more time with my kids than I do! We do a lot together--I don't smother, I'm just there with them, and we enjoy being a family together! They grow so fast that I am taking advantage of the blessing of being able to homeschool and spend time with them! DH is on the same page, so it's been great!

So what is your definition of "researching curriculum"? There seems to be a variety of angles we're coming from.:lurk5::001_smile:

Edited by Brindee
oops--fixed spelling errors