Menu

What is up with Mark Sanford (Gov. SC)....

First he is 'missing'....now he admits to having an extramarital affair in Argentina (where he actually went while MIA).

I grew up in SC....so I am following the story...but my goodness....this just blows my mind.

Gee, it was bizarre before the affair..... but i wonder if his wife knew - her comment about let them have their privacy was strange to me for all that was going on.

I'll have to go read more now!

ETA: yup, she apparently knew....

Edited by TraceyS/FL

....this just blows my mind.

It doesn't blow my mind, unfortunately. Seems like everyone, Democrat, Republican, President of (name your country) is having an affair (formerly called "adulterous relationship"). Very, very, very sad indeed.

It doesn't blow my mind, unfortunately. Seems like everyone, Democrat, Republican, President of (name your country) is having an affair (formerly called "adulterous relationship"). Very, very, very sad indeed.

:iagree: This is so true, unfortunatley. I am in Charleston, and this was all over the news yesterday about him "missing", I figured something was "up", but haven't even turned on the TV today. It is sad, but so common in politics.

I was relaxing for a few minutes with a coke and tuned into his press conference. Talk about bizarre!! I couldn't follow him at all and he seemed unable to put together a coherent sentence. Was he on something?

I'm thinking he makes Blago look like a genius.

What an idiot. What a waste of a politician. He could have been good. It's too bad. I can't get over the fact that his wife has known for 5 months????? and he's been continuing the affair for those 5 months??? Holy cow.............

And, apparently, traveling internationally to do so? Who DOES that?

Seriously, I haven't seen the press conference, but does anyone think maybe he may be having some sort of breakdown? I cannot imagine what sort of cognitive malfunction would make a person believe no one would notice he was missing. He's.the.governor.

And, apparently, traveling internationally to do so? Who DOES that?

Seriously, I haven't seen the press conference, but does anyone think maybe he may be having some sort of breakdown? I cannot imagine what sort of cognitive malfunction would make a person believe no one would notice he was missing. He's.the.governor.

...and I wonder if the good, industrious people of SC have been paying for his little trips south?

But it's really no big deal. It used to be adultery, now it is an "indiscretion" or a "moral failing". Sounds much better, doesn't it?

...and I wonder if the good, industrious people of SC have been paying for his little trips south?

But it's really no big deal. It used to be adultery, now it is an "indiscretion" or a "moral failing". Sounds much better, doesn't it?

Nah. "Then" there used to be this thing called "discretion". Nobody was talking and it would have been considered rude to ask. Now, that people talk about it. Alot. In press conferences. How vulgar.

I was following this all weekend and I thought there had to be a scandal. What on earth. I feel for his wife and boys! Her statement from CNN online:

Statement from First Lady Jenny Sanford

I would like to start by saying I love my husband and I believe I have put forth every effort possible to be the best wife I can be during our almost twenty years of marriage. As well, for the last fifteen years my husband has been fully engaged in public service to the citizens and taxpayers of this state and I have faithfully supported him in those efforts to the best of my ability. I have been and remain proud of his accomplishments and his service to this state.

I personally believe that the greatest legacy I will leave behind in this world is not the job I held on Wall Street, or the campaigns I managed for Mark, or the work I have done as First Lady or even the philanthropic activities in which I have been routinely engaged. Instead, the greatest legacy I will leave in this world is the character of the children I, or we, leave behind. It is for that reason that I deeply regret the recent actions of my husband Mark, and their potential damage to our children.

I believe wholeheartedly in the sanctity, dignity and importance of the institution of marriage. I believe that has been consistently reflected in my actions. When I found out about my husband's infidelity I worked immediately to first seek reconciliation through forgiveness, and then to work diligently to repair our marriage. We reached a point where I felt it was important to look my sons in the eyes and maintain my dignity, self-respect, and my basic sense of right and wrong. I therefore asked my husband to leave two weeks ago.

This trial separation was agreed to with the goal of ultimately strengthening our marriage. During this short separation it was agreed that Mark would not contact us. I kept this separation quiet out of respect of his public office and reputation, and in hopes of keeping our children from just this type of public exposure. Because of this separation, I did not know where he was in the past week.

I believe enduring love is primarily a commitment and an act of will, and for a marriage to be successful, that commitment must be reciprocal. I believe Mark has earned a chance to resurrect our marriage.

Psalm 127 states that sons are a gift from the Lord and children a reward from Him. I will continue to pour my energy into raising our sons to be honorable young men. I remain willing to forgive Mark completely for his indiscretions and to welcome him back, in time, if he continues to work toward reconciliation with a true spirit of humility and repentance.

This is a very painful time for us and I would humbly request now that members of the media respect the privacy of my boys and me as we struggle together to continue on with our lives and as I seek the wisdom of Solomon, the strength and patience of Job and the grace of God in helping to heal my family.

He says he paid for the trip himself. Like that's supposed to make us feel better. Personally, I feel like I've been slapped in the face.

I was thinking that maybe there was a personal medical situation that he didn't want the world to know about. It's got to be embarassing to have the whole world know you're having a vasectomy or hemorrhoidectomy, for instance.

His poor wife and sons. Now the whole world knows what his priorities are ....

So, to recap: She has (according to him) known about this for around 5 months. During this time of trying to repair their marriage, he evidently continued the affair? So, wanting to salvage some dignity, she asks him to move out with the goal of strengthening their marriage... and he heads to Argentina?

Wow. How many times can you slap the same person in the face?

I am awed by her grace and fortitude.

You know what I don't get? Either the world's gotten much, much smaller and there's no place to hide, or these guys really want to get caught.

Disappearing for a significant length of time and falling off the face of the earth while employed in such a high profile position? Did he think no one would notice?

I really don't understand the recent trend of bad behavior followed by a confession, tears and a request for forgiveness. What happened to integrity?

I was relaxing for a few minutes with a coke and tuned into his press conference. Talk about bizarre!! I couldn't follow him at all and he seemed unable to put together a coherent sentence. Was he on something?

I'm thinking he makes Blago look like a genius.

He should have read SWB's book before he attempted his explanation, apology, or whatever it was. :001_smile:

I was following this all weekend and I thought there had to be a scandal. What on earth. I feel for his wife and boys! Her statement from CNN online:

I would like to start by saying I love my husband and I believe I have put forth every effort possible to be the best wife I can be during our almost twenty years of marriage. As well, for the last fifteen years my husband has been fully engaged in public service to the citizens and taxpayers of this state and I have faithfully supported him in those efforts to the best of my ability. I have been and remain proud of his accomplishments and his service to this state.

I personally believe that the greatest legacy I will leave behind in this world is not the job I held on Wall Street, or the campaigns I managed for Mark, or the work I have done as First Lady or even the philanthropic activities in which I have been routinely engaged. Instead, the greatest legacy I will leave in this world is the character of the children I, or we, leave behind. It is for that reason that I deeply regret the recent actions of my husband Mark, and their potential damage to our children.

I believe wholeheartedly in the sanctity, dignity and importance of the institution of marriage. I believe that has been consistently reflected in my actions. When I found out about my husband's infidelity I worked immediately to first seek reconciliation through forgiveness, and then to work diligently to repair our marriage. We reached a point where I felt it was important to look my sons in the eyes and maintain my dignity, self-respect, and my basic sense of right and wrong. I therefore asked my husband to leave two weeks ago.

This trial separation was agreed to with the goal of ultimately strengthening our marriage. During this short separation it was agreed that Mark would not contact us. I kept this separation quiet out of respect of his public office and reputation, and in hopes of keeping our children from just this type of public exposure. Because of this separation, I did not know where he was in the past week.

I believe enduring love is primarily a commitment and an act of will, and for a marriage to be successful, that commitment must be reciprocal. I believe Mark has earned a chance to resurrect our marriage.

Psalm 127 states that sons are a gift from the Lord and children a reward from Him. I will continue to pour my energy into raising our sons to be honorable young men. I remain willing to forgive Mark completely for his indiscretions and to welcome him back, in time, if he continues to work toward reconciliation with a true spirit of humility and repentance.

This is a very painful time for us and I would humbly request now that members of the media respect the privacy of my boys and me as we struggle together to continue on with our lives and as I seek the wisdom of Solomon, the strength and patience of Job and the grace of God in helping to heal my family.

At least someone who is making sense. Nice lady. That was probably the best statement that I have read regarding these public fiascos.

Wow! I am so sad to see her suffer like this, but, wow, what an awesome statement. She deserves much better. My prayers are with her and her sons.

I think that at this point, I would not be interested in welcoming my dh back if he did something like this. What a horrible example for children- not her, him. And to do this on Father's Day weekend, no less. I also have to wonder why we keep electing jerks, be they Democrats or Republicans. I know that I am not voting for these fools who shame their families and their offices. At least, she wasn't trotted up there to stand up there while he makes his mea culpa.

I just watched the video of his 'announcement'. Honestly, he seemed pretty calm and not so very repentant. Things he said like, "...who started out as a very dear, dear friend..." and "Over the course of the last year it has developed into something much, much more." Sounds like he has made the choice to go back to Argentina. His poor wife. Maybe she needs to keep up with the tough love for her own sanity.

Wow, that is amazing. Perhaps she should be the governor.

Well, they just released some content from email love letters from Sanford to mistress "Maria." If I were the wife - who has demonstrated a stellar amount of grace under pressure so far - I would say it's time to toss in the towel. Published passionate correspondence would be just a little too much salt for my wounds...

How sad for her. And I am totally sick of these guys - especially the ones who espouse conservative values - having to hold tearful press conferences to confess infidelity. And I am a staunch conservative. I know everyone can be tempted, especially those in the realm of power politics, but for Pete's sake, shouldn't they know to *expect* this kind of stuff and take precautions to stay out of this kind of trouble? Make a Billy Graham-like policy to never be alone with a woman/man other than one's own wife/husband? Sanford was being talked about as a potential presidential candidate in 2012.... what a waste of a marriage, family and career. I hope he moves to Argentina and gets promptly ditched by the one for whom he ditched his wife. (Well, that's just an indignant speech. In the best case scenario, he would leave the public eye and do whatever it takes to reconcile and heal his family. But I'm guessing it'll go the way of Jon & Kate, a chase for the glamorous life...)

ETA: Yeah, Jenny for Gov!!!

Well, they just released some content from email love letters from Sanford to mistress "Maria." If I were the wife - who has demonstrated a stellar amount of grace under pressure so far - I would say it's time to toss in the towel. Published passionate correspondence would be just a little too much salt for my wounds...

How sad for her. And I am totally sick of these guys - especially the ones who espouse conservative values - having to hold tearful press conferences to confess infidelity. And I am a staunch conservative. I know everyone can be tempted, especially those in the realm of power politics, but for Pete's sake, shouldn't they know to *expect* this kind of stuff and take precautions to stay out of this kind of trouble? Make a Billy Graham-like policy to never be alone with a woman/man other than one's own wife/husband? Sanford was being talked about as a potential presidential candidate in 2012.... what a waste of a marriage, family and career. I hope he moves to Argentina and gets promptly ditched by the one for whom he ditched his wife. (Well, that's just an indignant speech. In the best case scenario, he would leave the public eye and do whatever it takes to reconcile and heal his family. But I'm guessing it'll go the way of Jon & Kate, a chase for the glamorous life...)

ETA: Yeah, Jenny for Gov!!!

I whole-heartedly agree...I'm SICK of immoral politicians, especially ones who stand (supposedly) for conservative values. Are there no strong, steady, committed men or women who want to run for a political office in our country?

I would say that nothing in politics ever amazes me and this is just one more case of the pot calling the kettle black. (He was big against B. Clinton and the whole "we must maintain the morality"......). I pretty much assume they all cheat and lie once they get some power. It's the ones who have morals that shock me! Which is really quite sad.

Thanks for the reminder about SWB's big non-hsing book. The Art of the Public Grovel is certainly a propos of the latest headlines.

I admire the strength of women like Jenny Sanford and Elizabeth Edwards who manage to keep going in the face of public humiliation. I admire Hillary Rodham Clinton even more because she not only survived the humiliation, but she actually seems to have remade her life and achieved most of her goals. She even managed to stick with Bill which certainly requires a vast amount of fortitude. I know she irritates a lot of people, but she's someone who I can look to as an inspiration when I'm facing adversity. If Hillary could get out of bed every morning in 1999, I can too!

Affairs aside, what's up with just leaving and not telling your staff how they can reach you?? I mean, honestly, isn't he supposed to be running a state? :001_huh:

It just blows my mind that a governor went AWOL. He could have at least told someone where he was going. Geez. Talk about temporary insanity. :001_huh:

Is it just me or does it seem from what he said in his press conference (if you listened to it in its entirety) that he's still with this woman from Argentina??? Maybe the past five days of crying in Argentina (as he called this past week) has been the two of them finally ending their relationship? But, his wife knew about the affair five months ago.

I believe we should forgive. It certainly sounds like Jenny Sanford is committed to that. The statement she issued was remarkably selfless. However, I don't believe she has any obligation to stay married to him. (You can divorce and forgive the two are not mutually exclusive.) Divorcing a man who tells you he's having an affair and then continues to fly off to Argentina to continue the affair five months later isn't tainting the "sanctity of marriage" (the phrase she used in her statement) it's preserving it.

I whole-heartedly agree...I'm SICK of immoral politicians, especially ones who stand (supposedly) for conservative values. Are there no strong, steady, committed men or women who want to run for a political office in our country?

I think those people are too busy running their own homes and businesses. :001_smile:

Is it just me or does it seem from what he said in his press conference (if you listened to it in its entirety) that he's still with this woman from Argentina??? Maybe the past five days of crying in Argentina (as he called this past week) has been the two of them finally ending their relationship? But, his wife knew about the affair five months ago.

I believe we should forgive. It certainly sounds like Jenny Sanford is committed to that. The statement she issued was remarkably selfless. However, I don't believe she has any obligation to stay married to him. (You can divorce and forgive the two are not mutually exclusive.) Divorcing a man who tells you he's having an affair and then continues to fly off to Argentina to continue the affair five months later isn't tainting the "sanctity of marriage" (the phrase she used in her statement) it's preserving it.

I'm not in a position to forgive, because he didn't actually wrong *me*.

However, I don't believe he should remain in his current office. If a person can't keep his most important vow, I certainly don't want him/her in a position of political power. I don't consider it *only* a personal infraction....this speaks volumes of his character, values, and decision making.

I'm not in a position to forgive, because he didn't actually wrong *me*.

However, I don't believe he should remain in his current office. If a person can't keep his most important vow, I certainly don't want him/her in a position of political power. I don't consider it *only* a personal infraction....this speaks volumes of his character, values, and decision making.

I agree, he didn't wrong *me*, i have no reason to forgive. However, I do feel that he treated the people of his state wrong. Should they decide to forgive him - great. For me the issue is that from the outside looking in - he mucked up on the whole "work" side. I would guess that in a normal out of COUNTRY visit there would be a number of power transfers put in place (or ready to activate them if needed). I'm going to assume that he did not follow that proper procedure, and that does sit with me wrong. i'd have a hard time if i lived in SC.

But hey, i'll save my energy for the next FL political crisis... i'm sure there will be on! LOL!!

"Don't cry for me...I'm in Argentiiiina!

The truth is I was with my loooover,

Not in Appalachia, I am not hiking...

I left my wiiife 'cuz I'm a ___________"

My guess is that it's supposed to rhyme with loooover. (sort of.)

But it definitely rhymes with trucker.

(she said it was very bad....or maybe my brain just thinks these bad things!)

I agree, he didn't wrong *me*, i have no reason to forgive. However, I do feel that he treated the people of his state wrong. Should they decide to forgive him - great. For me the issue is that from the outside looking in - he mucked up on the whole "work" side. I would guess that in a normal out of COUNTRY visit there would be a number of power transfers put in place (or ready to activate them if needed). I'm going to assume that he did not follow that proper procedure, and that does sit with me wrong. i'd have a hard time if i lived in SC.

But hey, i'll save my energy for the next FL political crisis... i'm sure there will be on! LOL!!

I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean that the voters have a responsibility to forgive him. I was referring to his wife. However, while I do think she should forgive I do not think she has a responsibility to stay married to him. I'll leave his political future to the people of SC.

My guess is that it's supposed to rhyme with loooover. (sort of.)

But it definitely rhymes with trucker.

(she said it was very bad....or maybe my brain just thinks these bad things!)

If it was following the pattern of the Evita song, it would rhyme with hiking, but I prefer a rhyme with 'flying seating plastered' myself. That might be too long for the song, though. :D

If it was following the pattern of the Evita song, it would rhyme with hiking, but I prefer a rhyme with 'flying seating plastered' myself. That might be too long for the song, though. :D

I was trying to copy the Evita song! Thanks for noticing!

Thank you, you're a great audience. I'll be here all week. Try the veal!