Menu

Am I the only one who doesn't feel smart enough?

There is a post right now on the highschool board about how people have turned away from rigourous classical education http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9772 and it kind of hit home with me. Ever since, well even before, the thread on what level of education everyone has I have been feeling inadequate to teach my children this way. I only have a high school diploma and I probably don't deserve it. There are times when I don't have a clue what some of you are talking about. Times where the language you all use is beyond me. My writing is weak and I would love to be able to put thoughts on paper like some of you ladies ( and men). How can I possible teach them latin, greek, the classics, trig, to think and write well? Do you ever feel like maybe you should just use a curriculum in a box and call it enough? Atleast then I know the basics would be covered.

Most of the time. I do know that I am learning some things right along side my dc, and having "light bulb" moments. I also know that my dc will surpass my intellect by high school. That's ok though, that's how it should be.

You are giving your children more of an education than they could ever get in public school, and a bigger gift as well.

Hang in there- You are doing a great job! :)

First, Jean, didn't one of your children recently get an early decision on college or something like that? Are you sure you aren't being a little hard on yourself?

Secondly, yes, some people probably do need a boxed curriculum, but I wouldn't suggest making that decision based on the results of an almost anonymous person on a message board. Pick something and try to be consistent for a set period of time then make your decision.

And yes, I often feel inadequate, but then I give myself a pep talk and keep truckin'.

Jean,

You are definitely not alone. I have a degree. I started off as a microbiology major and completed many hrs of higher science and have a very solid background in all liberal arts disciplines, dh is a chemical engineer (lots of math and chemistry going on!)... and you know what.......I don't teach all of my high schoolers classes b/c I know that others can do a better job than I can.

Probably not a popular answer and maybe not the one you wanted to hear. :( I know that realistically that my time is too divided and that there really are good teachers out there (whether on line, through CCs, through local options) I just see college prep as an extremely serious undertaking and know that I can't provide the undivided attention it would take to manage all high school subjects on my own while still teaching primary, elementary, and middle school.

I pick the ones yr by yr that I know I can manage and outsource the rest.

I'm doing school with the kids, trying to teach lots of things I don't already know. Is it even sadder that I'm learning a lot in first grade? It sure doesn't say much for my college degree.....

You're doing a better job than anyone else could for your kids, and I think it's unfair to ask more of yourself than that! :)

I just see college prep as an extremely serious undertaking and know that I can't provide the undivided attention it would take to manage all high school subjects on my own while still teaching primary, elementary, and middle school.

I pick the ones yr by yr that I know I can manage and outsource the rest.

I do the same thing. My ds14 is taking AP Biology from a former biologist turned high school teacher. I know *I* could never provide the type of education this lady is providing (including a field trip to Jeff in Philly to look at viruses :eek:) I see nothing wrong with this option.

I think we're both all smart, only in different ways, and all not smart enough, only in different ways:). My definition of homeschool excellence is doing the best we can with the children we have. There are times when I have fallen short of doing the best I can. We're human. Not one of us here can honestly say that we've given our kids a perfect education!

While I have noticed a shift in the board, I don't think it's necessarily for the worse. I used to be hesitant to speak up when something just didn't work for my kids and I'd had to modify WTM.

At any rate, I, for one, have learned from your posts and wisdom, even when it didn't apply directly to us.

First of all, do you realize Quiver that I have always (through the years) read your posts and gone "Wow. Great idea!" or "How does she do it!?" While you are feeling inadequate, I'm thinking what a great example you are.

I think your concern (and those that also posted and chimed in) gets down to the basic fear everyone has, at one point or another in our homeschooling journey... but also the fear that gets thrown at them by non homeschoolers. When a lot of us first started homeschooling we heard "But you're not qualified." in one way or another. Perhaps we need to review the reasons we ARE qualified to best teach our children. Revisit those books and sites that made you feel confidant!

You are doing what is best for your child. I don't care if Jane Doe Homeschooler is perceived as doing more than you do. That is a perception ONLY. You are not with Jane Doe Homeschooler day to day. You have YOUR family, YOUR kids. You are guiding them and teaching them to learn about life. You are giving them the tools to guide and teach themselves much better than any p.s. teacher could, for all their education. Better than anyone could. Even other homeschoolers.

I like that learning with our children was mentioned. What a privilege to learn the things we missed side by side in a loving environment with our kids. There are many, many times I say to my daughter "I honestly don't know. How can we find out." And, while I don't have kids over age 10, and I KNOW there are going to be things that baffle me...we can always find out. As adults we continue to learn.

Quiver, I am willing to bet if you add up life experiences you are incredibly talented and qualified. Do you get to put letters behind your name, and write fancy things on a resume? No. But you should be able too (which is what is wrong w/our topsy turvey educational system...) Over and over homeschoolers are proving that public education, compulsory, standardized education is not the end all be all. I have a high school education. Considering what was taught at the school I went to and how I "slid by" I'll bet I don't deserve it either. Those tests and "qualifications" have never mattered. The answers are what "they" say you need. You can fudge those. Most kids do. What do you know in practical knowledge? What do you know in getting the answers you need? That's what education is. Knowing where to get the information and having a joy for learning it.

I'm getting long winded. And confusing..sorry...I'm distracted by my family right now. Bottom line: Don't be intimidated by a) what passes for public education and b) other homeschoolers. Don't compare yourself. You are unique. There is no measuring stick. There is no test.

Whenever I feel bad, I re read, re read, re read. Trust yourself. Trust your kids.

I have a degree in English and a teacher's certification. I'm teaching writing (via correspondence) to 5 kids in our co-op, and I was just telling another mom in the co-op today how insecure I feel about the whole thing. To make matterws worse, next year I'm teaching writing *and* literature to 9 students, grades 6-8. No one's complained yet about my teaching that I'm aware of. I'm just a worrier. But you know what? I think many of the moms in the co-op could do just as good a job as I'm doing. I don't think my degree/certification has much to do with whether I'm qualified or not.

Anyhow, I was reading the h.s. boards today, too. (My oldest is only in 7th grade.) I was very intimidated by all that lies ahead for me and him. My point is this: If you did have a college degree, you'd likely still have just as many questions about the education you're providing for your kids. I know many moms without a college education, and I *wish* I had the natural gift of teaching that many of them have. But I think despite all of that, I'm still providing my kids with the best education *I* can give, and I prefer that any day over public or private school.

I think the high school board is incredibly intimidating...because so many of the regular posters seem to be very bright and have exceptional kids. I've questioned my choices often because I wonder if what we're doing really measures up and, like watching a train wreck, I can't seem to stop reading posts that I *know* will send me spinning in the "but, but, but..." loop.

You're not alone, dear. There's lots of us in the "I don't feel smart enough" boat. (I tell myself that, anyway!)

Last fall I went to a SWB seminar. At one point she asked us to raise our hands if we felt inadequately educated--not so much unqualified to teach our kids, but just not properly prepared for Life in General. I think about 90% of the audience raised their hands. Her point was partly that because our own educations were mostly so unsystematic and shallow, we never feel like we quite know everything we're supposed to know--even when we've got PhDs.

Anyway, yes, I do feel inadequate. My daughter is in second grade and learning points of grammar I was never taught. Luckily I can turn it into a bit of an advantage; I can tell her from experience that grammar is important to know, and we can learn it together--which makes her happy.

So I'm not sure what my point is here, but I guess we just keep on trying. At least we have the advantage of knowing that there's a lot we don't know!

I was a homeschooler before I was a follower of WTM. I was a homeschooler first. I started out homeschooling because I wanted to give my children more than I ever had in 13 years of institutionalized schooling. I wanted to be with them, to know them, to enjoy them. I wanted to guide their spiritual growth. These were my reasons for homeschooling before I read WTM. I knew that there were teachers who could do this, that or the other better than I, but I looked at the big picture and to receive what they could offer would mean also receiving a lot of things that I did not want. Nothing in life is free.

I did not feel up to the task, but I trusted God to lead and guide me. This worked well for me for 9 or 10 years of homeschooling.

And then I read WTM. I gained a stronger vision of where I wanted them to be academically. I was inspired and refreshed. I think that is what SWB meant for us. I think she wrote that book to inspire us to all that our kids were capable of accomplishing. I think she meant to add to our joy in the journey, not detract from it.

All the reasons I started homeschooling were still my reasons. WTM just gave me a new road map to get to the same destination. Sort of like when I go to Mapquest to find a route that does not include driving on I40 ;) I am still going somewhere I want to go, but I have a better route.

Why are you a homeschooler, Dear? To live up to the expectations of a message board? Or to live out God's calling in your life?

In your weakness He is made strong.

Onward we go.

Hey, Quiver of 10, I'm always so in awe of you. I just want you to know that.

I could NEVER do what you do. Never. 10 children? All homeschooling? Homeschooling through high school? I probably won't do that with my 1 child, I'm way too intimidated. And working, too? I don't know how you do it. And you always have the energy to try just one more thing, like completely overhauling your diet, or completely overhauling your approach to science. Oh my goodness. It makes me tired just to read your posts.

So, FWIW, that is how you seem to me--very, very impressive!

Hey, Quiver of 10, I'm always so in awe of you. I just want you to know that.

I could NEVER do what you do. Never. 10 children? All homeschooling? Homeschooling through high school? I probably won't do that with my 1 child, I'm way too intimidated. And working, too? I don't know how you do it. And you always have the energy to try just one more thing, like completely overhauling your diet, or completely overhauling your approach to science. Oh my goodness. It makes me tired just to read your posts.

So, FWIW, that is how you seem to me--very, very impressive!

I have to totally agree here! And may I chime in, no you are NOT the only one who doesn't feel smart enough. That is why I hang out here, for someone to hold my hand and tell me 'it's okay'.:)

Quiver,

We have all had serious doubts about our qualifications to teach our children. I have a degree and find out every single day that my education was totally lacking.

You've been on this board for a long time and it seems to me that you are doing a great job with your kids. Only a dedicated parent truly cares whether or not their child learns.

Aren't a couple of your kids in college? Does it really matter if you already knew the material or you are having to learn it with them?

I think you just need to find your strengths and have confidence in your abilities.

I have found that there a some things in high school I just cannot teach. In our very rural school, things like Pre-Cal and AP classes just were not offered. I outsource what I can afford and we struggle our way through the rest.

Having read your posts forever......I know that you are a parent who loves her kids and does what is best for them. What more can they ask for?

sorry for rambling,

melissa

No, you are not alone. I have a Ph.D., for Pete's sake, but I was looking at some high school algebra books today and was totally and completely lost. I never learned some of that stuff in high school - or if I did, the memory of it is lost and gone forever. I know that I will need to outsource some subjects because I have neither the time nor the inclination to get up to speed on them. That's okay. I figure most high school teachers are not credentialed to teach anything and everything, and there's a reason for that.

And for the record, you can add me to the list of people in awe of all you do!

I know that I will need to outsource some subjects because I have neither the time nor the inclination to get up to speed on them. That's okay.

Oh, how nice that is to hear from someone I look up to.

Validation, you know.:)

There is a post right now on the highschool board about how people have turned away from rigourous classical education http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9772 and it kind of hit home with me. Ever since, well even before, the thread on what level of education everyone has I have been feeling inadequate to teach my children this way. I only have a high school diploma and I probably don't deserve it. There are times when I don't have a clue what some of you are talking about. Times where the language you all use is beyond me. My writing is weak and I would love to be able to put thoughts on paper like some of you ladies ( and men). How can I possible teach them latin, greek, the classics, trig, to think and write well? Do you ever feel like maybe you should just use a curriculum in a box and call it enough? Atleast then I know the basics would be covered.

Uh, yeah. All the time. I only understand about 60% of what people talk about on the high school board. My education stunk. (Stank? [see??!]) I have college degrees, and I appreciate them, but they don't make me any more adequate to homeschool. I won't deny it's easier to feel a tad more confident with some college classes under my belt -- mainly to show me that college classes aren't the be all end all of education. The smartest man (book-learnin' wise) I ever met never set foot inside a college classroom. But homeschooling? It's 90% hard work, constancy, and determination, IMO.

And I did use a curriculum in a box -- a couple of them, in fact -- and I'd say I didn't do so bad of a job. I'd love to be smart enough to pull it all together myself. I did tailor the boxes ala WTM principles. I'd love to be smart enough to homeschool high school, or to feel I farmed out properly the stuff I don't do well. But I'm not, and I know I'm not. That's why I did my best to the extent of my capabilities (emotional, intellectual, physical) and then called it Good.

Compared to public schools on average, it was Very Good. Compared to good private schools, it was probably Equivalent, all things considered. Compared to on the ball, rigorous WTM homeschoolers, it was probably Adequate. Some did better than me, I have NO doubt. I admire them greatly -- they inspired me to dig deeper and do more with what I had. Some did worse than me. They inspired me, too, in a different way. ;)

But ultimately, I did my best, and I knew my best was good enough -- not the mediocre kind of good enough, but the I-met-my-own-rigorous-standards-of-teaching good enough. And then at the point that it was not good enough, I took personal responsibility for the kids' education to another level and helped them choose another path that didn't involve me on a daily basis.

Jean, you inspired me in a good way. And should you find yourself opening a box, a hand-picked box of excellence of course, you will continue to inspire me.

Can I say that it makes me feel kind of bad because we can't afford a lot of outsourcing.

We have to make this work, by ourselves. Sometimes I get to feeling really bad about that when so many feel that outsourcing is necessary.

What if you are not the smartest person in the world and you are not able to afford to outsource?

Well, I've been studiously ignoring that post but I can't ignore you, Jean. I've been here since a year or so after the boards began, and I don't see any *major* difference in the curriculum being followed. Maybe I'm old and forgetful; perhaps I've always just ignored posts that don't interest me. I certainly didn't really look at the high school board for the first few years, until my older son was ready to start doing high school level work - so maybe I completely missed out on all the serious scholars.

Some folks here study Latin. Some study Greek and Latin. Some study so many languages that I can't manage to see how they do it, time wise! They must be linguistically gifted. Perhaps they plan to work as interpreters or to go into missions work where they'll need lots of langauge skills. But if I have a child who has no interest in pursuing a career that involves various languages, have I dumbed down my curriculum and underserved him by doing only a modern foreign language? Or by doing that plus only Latin?

Must we all read lengthy works in Latin or Greek in order to demonstrate that we are educated? Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy for those who want to do that and who feel it will benefit them to go that route. I just happen to think that there are many other, equally valuable paths one may travel. Maybe those paths aren't considered truly classical by a purist. But I don't think I've ever seen SWB bemoan the fact that she thinks the folks visiting here on her nickel aren't really following a worthy path, whether it's considered classical or not......

There are millions of valuable educational topics that one may choose to study in life. We can never hope to accomplish a thorough study of even a small fraction of those, even if we continue to educate ourselves all our lives. Is only the person who studies the more obscure, rarely treated topics to be considered well educated? Is a person who has done a solid study of a decent variety of topics, including higher level maths, sciences, literature and social studies, ill prepared for the world? Must one attend an ivy league school in order to receive a decent higher education? Can no one self-educate any longer?

I haven't checked the membership roles of MENSA for a long, long time, but they used to count in their ranks housewives, mail carriers, farmers and other "regular" folk, in addition to the rich and famous movers and shakers of the world. IQ is not a determinate of success in life. And success in life is not necessarily determined by education any more than IQ.

The best, most profitable class that we or any educator within a public or private school may offer to our children is the one that teaches them HOW to learn, for life. The coursework that will make them independant thinkers, life-long learners, seekers of knowledge extraordinaire, is the work upon which we should concentrate most of our efforts. The stamina to not only think outside the box, but to assert those thoughts, is more determinate, in my opinion, of future success in life than whether or not we studied logic and rhetoric in our schools, what math program we chose, or whether all our children can read great books in Latin. I somehow think that Socrates would gasp at the thought that there's only one particular path one might choose for success in life. He mastered the process of helping scholars to understand information for themselves through questioning and brainstorming so that they could arrive at answers that were sometimes even bigger than the original questions.... The whole really is greater than the sum of its parts.....

And I don't find that encouraging those who might not be up to the very highest level of classical studies is a cop-out sort of feel good substitute for the one and only true path to enlightenment. I don't believe that there ever was only one path to knowledge, any more than I believe that there is only one type of worthy knowledge in the world.

If you've left out some class of knowledge that any child of yours has a burning desire to pursue, they have an entire world full of colleges and universities, and a whole lifetime, in which to rectify that failure on your part. Why second guess yourself? Can you really say that every year of public or private school would have yielded a better teacher, better course of study, and more worthwhile learning than what you have provided?

I like what Kelli said, "Onward we go." Just keep on keepin' on, Jean. It'll all be just fine,

Regena

Smart enough to teach HIGH SCHOOL? LOL Honey, not sure I'm smart enough to teach my kids 3rd and 6th grade! :) Sadly, I'm not entirely joking. It's a daunting task to teach our own children. After all, if we mess up their entire college education money will go to therapy. jk

There are so many courses which we feel necessary to teach our DC. We can't possibly be qualified in them all. You said English and writing wasn't your strong suit. My weakness is household organization--in all aspects. I can send my kids back to ps, but still messing up their little personalities with my heinous flaw. Guess what, we'll all figure out how to compensate. There isn't a co-op for household chores yet, but we can work it out together.

DS has already corrected me in math, science, and Latin. Hellloooo...he's only 11y/o. I'm humbled. And grateful for a child bright and audacious enough to kindly put me in my place.

I've only belonged to this board for a few months, but sense a strong, confident, and very capable woman in you. Bet your children sense the same thing! Any person capable of knowing her weaknesses is a woman bright enough to overcome them, and make it her strength.

We have to make this work, by ourselves. Sometimes I get to feeling really bad about that when so many feel that outsourcing is necessary.

What if you are not the smartest person in the world and you are not able to afford to outsource?

Same with me. And I imagine it will be the same when my kids get to high school level. We probably won't be able to outsource - but I paid close attention to the few threads I've seen in the past on the high school board, where it was asked whether or not anyone had actually done most or all of the high school work at home, and many people did! And felt they were successful. And detailed how they did it. I found those very encouraging.

And Jean and Kelli, I have long admired the two of you here - you put yourselves and your questions and experiences right out there, in a friendly manner that makes me feel at ease.

One more thing: I have found challenges/things I never learned in R&S FOURTH GRADE math and grammar texts!! So, I chug on, one lesson at a time.

Can I say that it makes me feel kind of bad because we can't afford a lot of outsourcing.

(((Kelly))) There are people that manage homeschooling through graduation on their own without outsourcing. There are self-motivated students that can achieve a better education self-educating than all the "best" educational options given to non-motivated students.

There are goals and there are **goals**. There are realistic options and there are pie in the sky ones. I think we all have to evaluate just how much we can help our children and how far **we** can be responsible for taking them and how much we can enable them to be able to reach the rest on their own.

Mentally, physically, and emotionally I know my limitations. I can't do it all. I have tried and failed miserably at trying to do so many things that nothing was done well. For our family that was the time we had to sit down and really evaluate the whys and hows of what we were doing. We made the decision that I didn't have to be responsible for everything and we started outsourcing.

I don't think all outsourcing options have to be unrealistically expensive. Supplementing curricula in another option. CyberEd looks like it is a pretty good supplement for science. Chalkdust, while initially high in cost, does have a marketable return on some of the investment. TN funds dual enrollment classes (330/semester or something like that). Bartering services is another option.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. I think high school can be taught without outsourcing. However, I think it takes a huge time commitment and diligence. I haven't been able to make that commitment myself personally. That doesn't mean it isn't a good choice for others or that others can't be hugely successful doing it.

And like others have said.....for the determined young person, what they haven't been able to achieve at home......the future is theirs to make it what they will. They can reach those goals outside of the home when they are older.

It's nice to outsource, if you can, in the same way that it might be nice to choose a better (more expensive) high school if you were sending your child somewhere. But there are a ton of folks in the world who send their kids to the high school they're districted to attend, whether the teachers there are good, bad or indifferent.

The kids who have a desire to learn instilled in them learn in those schools; whether their teachers are responsible for that learning or not may be a different matter. Those same kids choose decent colleges to attend if they're able to go on to college and they continue to learn there. Or they go out into life and continue to learn there.

I think that raising children who have the desire to learn and the ability to make that happen for themselves is more important than which specific text you choose for a high school course, how many papers you ask them to write, or which great books they read.

Outsourcing is nice, but it is not necessary. You *can* do this. If you have the stamina to seek out cheap books at yard sales, library sales, online sale sites, etc., you can obtain decent books for your children even if you don't have a decent library system. If you have the gumption to research resources online, you have the ability to overcome lack of expensive curricular materials (few public schools have access to such materials, anyway). And more and more highly rated universities are throwing up free coursework online, as well. So you not only have an outline, but the actual assignments you need for conducting a course from home.

You *can* do this, absolutely!

Regena

I have to say that in some ways I understand but this is how I look at it......

I too have only a high school diploma and very much don't deserve it(not that it is even worth anything at all) I only passed Chemistry b/c my high school boyfriend was in baseball and my teacher was his coach and I spent ALOT of time helping the team..... The only reason why I passed world history was b/c the boy sitting next to me gave me all the answers and he also sat next to me in French -where I gave him all the answers (I took french twice) I understood math to be able to pass (we really only got checked on if we took notes from the day before or not... I only passed English all 4 year b/c my boyfriend was a grade ahead of me and an honors student.... he wrote ALL my papers! :eek:

However.... I know that it bothers me so much that I haven't learned anything that I want better for my dd..... I don't want her to feel "stupid" as I do most of the time....I know that I am not stupid as I do have a great head on my shoulders.... I "know" way more then other 26 year olds out there.... however my knowedge is in different areas...... I see homeschooling my dd in a classical way as a blessing..... I am able to learn all these wonderful things ..... but most importantly I get to learn WITH my dd! I get to give my dd the skills to never feel stupid.... I teach her that at any time you can learn something that you don't already know...... I get to teach her that even mommy has to try new things and that in itself is a blessing.......

I haven't read what other mom's have said but I just wanted to give you my 2 cents..... the day you stop learning is the day you die...... ( I forget who said that) Just because you weren't taught this way doesn't mean you can't "teach" this way.... It just means that you learned that you own education was wrong and you want to fix it for the next generation..... in my book that makes you smarter then any PHD.....!:D

Free University Courses!

There are many top universities that offer free courses online. This list ranks some of the best free university courses for people who want to enhance personal knowledge or advance in their current field.

http://education-portal.com/articles/Universities_with_the_Best_Free_Online_Courses.html

Regena

If someone told me I had to be smart to do WTM or other kinds of classical ed, I never would have started!

Intelligence has little to do with classical education. I don't know of a kid who wouldn't eventually get Aesop's Fables. Nor a parent who couldn't read it to him. Or find someone who could read it to him. I used to say that I was only as smart as a 5th grader. Now I say I'm only as smart as a 9th grader. It's hard work, but not so hard that I can't learn 9th grader stuff. And once I learn 9th grader stuff, I'll be prepared for 10th grade, and not only that, I will be prepared for every little 9th grader who comes along after the first one! If I had 10 kids, or even one more than 3, I'd have to be very, very determined, and a much better organizer, and much less attached to my free time, but I still think that anyone can do this. We are too easily intimidated. I was intimidated, which is why I started the darn post on the high schooler board to begin with. I NEED encouragement. I was watching myself give up and outsource too much because I didn't have enough encouragement.

Heavens to Pete! How can I make my point? How about this:

I'm not a runner. I never have liked running. I don't participate in the couch-to-5K threads because I don't like to sweat... honestly. So, say I was visiting a website for runners, or wannabe runners. I stuck around because the people were so nice and friendly. I do exercise, and I can do an elliptical machine, and some of the nice folks on this hypothetical runner's board also do those things. Now: would it be a good idea or a bad idea to post on such a board that, since I don't run, that those who do should stop advocating 5K's, because it was making me feel bad about not running? Instead, wouldn't it be natural that on such a board people would want to post and encourage each other about tips to get faster and go longer? It hurts, I say :o! That's part of the joy, they say! And it is so worth the effort, they say! But my knees, I say :eek:! But we can give you tips about your knees and your aversion to sweating, they say :D! It's fun, they say, but you can just continue enjoying our company and getting encouragement for your own exercise routine. Okay, I say... I can be happy with that, since that's what I'm most comfortable with. I don't need to feel bad after all that some of you want to go the distance! ;)

The end.

I think many people would make different choices than I have, but my outsourcing includes public school courses.

My son takes algebra and science classes at the local junior high school. Our state laws allow homeschoolers to participate in our schools in any manner we see fit.

For us it means allowing our son to progress through higher math at a rate that is best for him, with a teacher who loves the subject as much as he does.

We do spend a bit on an outside Latin class, but if finances were tighter I would spend more time learning Latin and he would have continued his language studies without outside help.

I was looking at some high school algebra books today and was totally and completely lost. I never learned some of that stuff in high school - or if I did, the memory of it is lost and gone forever.

Thanks for your honesty, Plaid Dad - that makes me feel a lot better about the fact that despite making A's in math all the way through high school, when it came time to teach my oldest algebra, I really and truly believed I had *never* seen it before. I've had to relearn it all from scratch. Apparently, it was buried somewhere in the last 20 years of my brain. I still don't ever get moments of, "Oh, I remember that!" It's like learning a new language. I'm teaching it for the 2nd year in a row (different kid) and I still have trouble. I'm very worried about the fact that it is blindingly clear to me I won't be able to teach Alg II & up. I can't afford Chalkdust or tutors. But somehow, some way, if it's the last thing I do, we'll find a solution.

Quiver, I see you doing that all the time -finding new solutions. You aren't just content to use something adequate. You put a lot of energy into trying to not only give your kids a great education, but actually making it highly individualized among your crew. You don't just sit back and rest and call it 'good enough', even when there doesn't seem to be a workable solution. You keep going. You find the solution. You don't quit until you do. You've definitely been an inspiration to me over the years.

I think teaching is a challenge even for those of us who did well in school, and even for those posters who have completed higher education - maybe not in the same ways, but I've yet to see anyone post that teaching is a piece of cake for them. Nothing that reaps such great rewards is going to be easy.

So no, I'm not smart enough. I'm not innovative enough. Realistically, we really, really can't afford to homeschool. Little things like that aren't enough to make me quit, though! I have to just keep believing that my determination to do this and do it right will help me succeed.

I don't know. I've even entertained the notion of finding tutors and trying to do a barter system with them - say, I'll clean your house every week for a year if you teach my child trigonometry!

For some things, I've had success in feeling like I had at least a small grasp on the topic from using general outline type books, or test prep books. I'm learning a lot from 'European History for Dummies' right now. :rolleyes:

I don't know. I've even entertained the notion of finding tutors and trying to do a barter system with them - say, I'll clean your house every week for a year if you teach my child trigonometry!

I'd gladly teach Math or Latin or writing, or just about anything for someone who would clean my house. What about cooking? I think that kind of bartering is wonderful. I'd be embarassed to let another mom see what my house can get like, but I'd so love it if someone would just go over my showers once a week and swoosh my toilets. My fridge is in terrible shape. I spend my days teaching my kids and 18others, but no one pays me in housecleaning. I'd die for some housecleaning, because I'm quite exhausted by the end of the week. What about hair cuts? I'd love to tutor for haircuts too. How about high school Latin for haircuts every 6 weeks. :)

I haven't read all the replies but I just wanted to say I feel the same way. Even though I have college degrees, I feel I don't deserve them as I really don't feel I learned much in college. Even though I went to selective schools, most universities its possible to just coast by. I don't want to pass this legacy on to my kids but sometimes I see myself doing that. Just doing the minimum but doing more intimidates me. I have such lofty goals but I don't know if I can help my children achieve them.

Just wanted to say you are not alone, I feel the same way. Having a college degree does not alleviate my fear of failing my children.

I'm one of those people with impressive sounding degrees, Jean, and I really don't think they make a significant difference in my homeschooling. They have enriched my life in a lot of ways and I have no regrets, but I don't think they are necessary or even all that helpful in homeschooling.

I struggle with disorganization and and all the pressures of running a family and home and being in that "sandwhich generation." Somedays are hard. I don't know how you do it with such a large family, but I'm almost certain that 9 siblings is a better asset in life then a little more rigor in one's 8th grade algebra. When my boys grow up, they will have each other - two brothers each. There will be nothing they can ever do to add to that. They will have no sisters, which is not a way I personally would choose to go through life. I have never really wanted a daughter, but I do wish my sons could have a sister because I don't know what I would do without mine.

So anyway, my kids will never be able to add to their sibling stock, and yours will definitely be able to brush up on physics at any point in their lifes. So look at what you do give them - and I know you also give them a solid education.

No, none of us are alone. I've known many who worry about being able to help their kids learn. I had a friend in college who was very gifted in physics, yet he had a hard time trying to share what it was he was doing with me, one not gifted in physics. He could "do" but could not "teach".

Ă¢â‚¬Å“If I could explain it to the average person, I wouldn't have been worth the Nobel Prize.Ă¢â‚¬

Richard Feynman

I've even entertained the notion of finding tutors and trying to do a barter system with them - say, I'll clean your house every week for a year if you teach my child trigonometry!

Don't discount this! We have bartered for all kinds of things - including medical care, believe it or not. In fact, I was talking to my dw yesterday about the possibility of accepting one family's incredible homemade bread in partial trade for doing a Great Books tutorial with one of their kids. "Will tutor for bread!" :)

Don't discount this! We have bartered for all kinds of things - including medical care, believe it or not. In fact, I was talking to my dw yesterday about the possibility of accepting one family's incredible homemade bread in partial trade for doing a Great Books tutorial with one of their kids. "Will tutor for bread!" :)

Oh, I wish I lived in NH still. I would take you up on this. Anyone n Arkansas want to be well stocked in cinnamon rolls? My kids could use math and writing tutors :)

Jean, I always try to read your threads because you don't find everything "Easy as pie." And you are always encouraging. Thank you.

I'm finding myself working harder and harder tying to make high school homeschooling a viable option here.

Now I'm even more sorry you're too far away for us to drive to for regular classes! Bartering is something I can afford. I could always teach some child piano or music (if no piano or keyboard) while they taught mine something.