Menu

Keens--Do I want sandals or shoes for a lot of walking in Saudi Arabia?

umsami

So, God-willing, I will be going on hajj at the end of August.  It's a big deal...a once in a life religious pilgrimage that is required of all Muslims who can afford it.   Saudi Arabia is going to be wicked hot then... .think 110+ degrees.... and I will be making hajj with probably two million other people.  As somebody who cannot handle the crowds at Disney, this will be challenging.  (However, I will be making hajj with an American tour group, which means that it will be a far more cushy experience than many have. )

While men wear basically two white sheets and have to keep the top part of their foot (and possibly their ankle) exposed, thus usually end up with sandals..... women have a lot more freedom in clothing and shoes.     Most women wear whatever is most comfortable.... so sneakers, hiking sandals, etc.  A lot of women also wear padded socks in areas where men have to go barefoot. 

A few people have recommended Keens to me.  I've never owned a pair.  Do you think their sandals are comfy enough for doing a lot of walking? (Probably max of 3 miles per day....but it will be for 5 or so days.)  If you were to recommend the most comfy sandals and shoes made by them, which would they be?

Any fit tips? 

Thanks!

• Like 2

Wow, what an experience! :hurray:

Honestly, I would probably wear either the best running shoes I could find, or Keen sandals. Every foot is different, so I recommend trying on several different styles.

For me, the Keen Whisper sandal is the most comfortable for walking. I walk 3.5 miles several times per week in them.

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Whisper-Sandal-Shadow-Ceramic/dp/B003Z4JWHA/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1500900742&sr=1-1&nodeID=679337011&psd=1&keywords=keen+shoes+women

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

I walked 3 miles in my keens yesterday and my feet didn't hurt at all.  I have the ones with covered toes so I get far less sand/rocks/sticks in them than in other sandals.

I have another pair of keen sandals that are supposed to be more dressy - open toed, brown leather, cushioned footbeds.  They are NOT as comfortable.  Too much cushion and not enough support.  Plus they make irritating squish noises when I walk on them.

• Like 2

I like the closed toe hiking sandals, too. The most important thing is to buy them asap and break them in before you go.

Yes, I figure I need to buy new shoes today if I'm going that route, as it will give me a month or so to break them in. 

• Like 4

I have 9 pair of Chaco sandals.  They are the only thing I wear for about 7 months out of the year.  They helped me through a nasty bout of PF and are perfect for my high arches.  This is even though somewhere along the line they sold, and the arch bed has become a little flatter.  I highly recommend them.  

I become a little queasy thinking about trying to find comparable footbeds for the winter months.  Around home I wear Giesswein in those months.  

Clarks used to be good,but man they have tanked.  I was just thinking yesterday about writing a letter to them and asking them why they chose the route they chose.  I actually had a clerk tell me the footbeds have become so flat, thin and poor quality so people could put their own orthotic  in them.  Isn't that thoughtful of them?:\  Yep, they thought their way out of a customer, and I've talked to quite a few people who are saying the same thing.

Shoes aren't being made well anymore for the American crowd.  I am going to try Kuru next.

• Like 2

I have 9 pair of Chaco sandals.  They are the only thing I wear for about 7 months out of the year.  They helped me through a nasty bout of PF and are perfect for my high arches.  This is even though somewhere along the line they sold, and the arch bed has become a little flatter.  I highly recommend them.  

I become a little queasy thinking about trying to find comparable footbeds for the winter months.  Around home I wear Giesswein in those months.  

Clarks used to be good,but man they have tanked.  I was just thinking yesterday about writing a letter to them and asking them why they chose the route they chose.  I actually had a clerk tell me the footbeds have become so flat, thin and poor quality so people could put their own orthotic  in them.  Isn't that thoughtful of them?:\  Yep, they thought their way out of a customer, and I've talked to quite a few people who are saying the same thing.

Shoes aren't being made well anymore for the American crowd.  I am going to try Kuru next.

YES!

I bought 5 pair right before the start of my new teaching job, knowing I would be on my feet a lot, and knowing they worked well in the past.

They all fell apart by the end of the year, some even sooner.  Meanwhile, my old Clarks, 7 years old, still look great!

One pair and the heel literally disintegrate WHILE I was at work!  ARGH!!!!!!  I hobbled around the rest of the day.

There are many complaints about them online but I haven't seen Clarks address any of it.

As for Chocos, I am glad you posted this.  My feet are flatter and need some support.  Would Chocos be good for that or is it better for high arches?

Thanks,

Dawn

• Like 1

Yes on the Keens. I've walked many miles in Keens. Definitely break them in first though!

However, Chaco's aren't as comfortable on me. Some of this is just down to your foot shape and what brands work for it. So even though Keens work for a lot of feet, it's possible they won't work for yours for sure. However, I personally would do closed toed hiking sandals like that. If you have somewhere to try them on, that's definitely what I'd do.

Congratulations on your trip! What a big deal. I hope your experience is fabulous and that you handle the crowds okay.

• Like 1

Go for the Keens hiking sandals, especially if they are fairly easy to put on and take off while standing. Also, you definitely want the padded socks. Everywhere you have to go barefoot is marble and/or textured floor. Learn from my experience, and get the padded socks!!! Your feet and back will thank you. Don't forget to include incidental walking--to and from the hotel, to buy the famous fast food chicken that is amazing, to do any shopping--in your total walking estimations. My phone clocked over 10 miles on one day when I was there in March. 

I'm sure your group has already covered this, but just in case, you will want to take a small backpack--those string ones work great--to put your shoes, water bottles, snacks, guidebook/prayer book/Quran, containers to collect Zamzam water, etc, in while you are walking, 

• Like 3

Thanks.  I think I'll try and go to the Walking Company or REI and see what I can find.

So, for like 25 years, I wore Birkenstocks 99% of the time.  Maybe a year ago, I found that my Birkis were aggravating my peroneus issues....so switched (sadly).

I've had good experience with old Clark's as well as a brand called Munro American which I used to find at Nordstrom's.  

I have normal sneakers (New Balance) that I had professionally fitted at a running store, but I've never loved them.  I have zero desire to take them with me.

• Like 1

Go for the Keens hiking sandals, especially if they are fairly easy to put on and take off while standing. Also, you definitely want the padded socks. Everywhere you have to go barefoot is marble and/or textured floor. Learn from my experience, and get the padded socks!!! Your feet and back will thank you. Don't forget to include incidental walking--to and from the hotel, to buy the famous fast food chicken that is amazing, to do any shopping--in your total walking estimations. My phone clocked over 10 miles on one day when I was there in March. 

I'm sure your group has already covered this, but just in case, you will want to take a small backpack--those string ones work great--to put your shoes, water bottles, snacks, guidebook/prayer book/Quran, containers to collect Zamzam water, etc, in while you are walking, 

Thanks Teachaheart for all of the tips. :)  I already have five pairs of super padded comfy socks that I plan to take. :)

I'm both excited and a little scared.

I really don't do crowds well, at all.  The group we're going with has had some wonderful online seminars, so I feel 1000% better about what I'll actually be doing.

• Like 2

I like the Keen Rose style because it seems a bit dressier than the classic Newport style.

But beware that lots of people complain that Keens leave their feet stinky, stinky, stinky!  So if you are taking them off and on around other people this may be a factor to consider.

Lots of my family have converted to Chaco's and really like them.  I believe they have an excellent warranty, too.  And Chaco is coming out with some dressier, less sporty styles if that is what you need/want.

• Like 2

Thanks Teachaheart for all of the tips. :)  I already have five pairs of super padded comfy socks that I plan to take. :)

I'm both excited and a little scared.

I really don't do crowds well, at all.  The group we're going with has had some wonderful online seminars, so I feel 1000% better about what I'll actually be doing.

The bolded is me exactly. May God make it easy for you!

• Like 1

I have a wide foot and love my Keen hiking shoes.  However, their sandals and not comfortable; they seem to fit differently than the shoes.  Also, if you have any preference on color, make sure you check the pair you are purchasing.  I was shopping for a pair of Keen's and the clerk pulled a pair out of the box; they were tan while the one's on display were brown.  The clerk checked and they were the same product number; he said they have that a lot with Keens.  

• Like 1

But beware that lots of people complain that Keens leave their feet stinky, stinky, stinky!  So if you are taking them off and on around other people this may be a factor to consider.

My daughter wears her Keens with socks and there's still a stink problem with these sandals.   Her feet look fine, no sign of athlete's foot,  but I have to spray the shoes with Lysol.   

• Like 1

My daughter wears her Keens with socks and there's still a stink problem with these sandals. Her feet look fine, no sign of athlete's foot, but I have to spray the shoes with Lysol.

I just bought my dd Keen's to replace the copycat ones that I bought earlier. The salesman said to wash in the washer with baking soda and dry in the sun when they get stinky. That's supposed to reactivate the odor stuff in the sole.

• Like 3

If you get Chacos DO NOT get the ones with the toe loop.  It's not a secure loop, it's one long strap, and the more you walk the tighter the toe gets, and the looser your heel gets.  It's fine for a mile or two, but somewhere around 3 miles you have to stop and adjust the straps or your circulation gets cut off in the big toe and the heel strap slips.  I complained about this once at the store I bought them at and the clerk that sold them to me laughed and said, yeah, they're toe stranglers.  On the plus side Chaco has longer straps available if you have high arches/high insteps. I think it was a $10 upcharge, but it was probably close to 10 years ago now.

I do agree the arch support is higher.  Uncomfortably so for long distances on concrete because your foot cannot flex as much. You don't get arch pain, but you do get heel and knee pain with all flex in your arch stopped.  It's great for off trail stuff and sand though.  

If you have high arches and want firm support that still allows your feet to flex, Superfeet insoles would be great in sneakers or hiking boots. I think it's the orange ones with the highest arch.  They have a high arch, but it's only high right at the heel cup.  The rest is lower - so you get the support but your feet can still flex to absorb shock and prevent knee & heel pain.  There's an outdoor store near here that has the best deal on them, but we've also bought them on Amazon.  I think the store with the best deal is Dick's Sporting Goods, but I'm not positive.  Anyway, I would go try them out in a store first if you're thinking of going that route.

• Like 1

I have some Keens that are similar to Chacos, I love them and have done quite a bit of site seeing wearing them. I also have a pair of dressier looking Teva sandals that are great for walking.

One problem with sandals is that if you haven't broken them in and get a tiny piece of gravel or rock in them, if can be super annoying. With how hot it is going to be though I think sandals would be much cooler than anything closed toed.

• Like 1

My Keens have walked all over Saudi for the last year. When it's not hot, I do a daily 10k loop in them. In other words, I think they'd be fine for the Hajj. They look sort of weird with an abaya, but I don't really care. I've never had a stinky feet problem with them, either in Saudi or in humid Washington DC.

Also, I am planning to be in Jeddah during Hajj. Just so you know. :)

• Like 1

My Keens have walked all over Saudi for the last year. When it's not hot, I do a daily 10k loop in them. In other words, I think they'd be fine for the Hajj. They look sort of weird with an abaya, but I don't really care. I've never had a stinky feet problem with them, either in Saudi or in humid Washington DC.

Also, I am planning to be in Jeddah during Hajj. Just so you know. :)

You two have to have a WTM meetup!
  • Like 3

I just bought my dd Keen's to replace the copycat ones that I bought earlier. The salesman said to wash in the washer with baking soda and dry in the sun when they get stinky. That's supposed to reactivate the odor stuff in the sole.

Our salesgirls in Belgium said the same about dd keen sandals.

She als has the sturdy one with closed toe.

We chose them because they can handle wet also very well.

But that is no help for OP

• Like 2

Our salesgirls in Belgium said the same about dd keen sandals.

She als has the sturdy one with closed toe.

We chose them because they can handle wet also very well.

But that is no help for OP

I think it's helpful info in making the decision since they are expensive!

I have Keens for walking and hiking and I think they are worth the money because they can get wet, but feel like wearing a sneaker. I have washed them once since owning them (over a year or so) because of odor, but they are back to not smelling.

After buying dd knock-offs for less than half the price of regular Keens, she ended up with blisters all over her feet during our vacation (they were broken in, she had them for months). We went to a hiking store, and bought her Keens to wear out and threw the knock-offs away. I still just buy her Keens from now on. Her hand-me down Keens still look new on the little girl we gave them to.

• Like 2

So I went to REI and tried on a bunch.

The Keen hiking shoes did not fit my foot right.  I also tried on Merrills and another brand that started with an O, I think.

The Keen water sandals were the best, but still either too big or too small in length.  The Teva sandals, however, fit well, and were on sale.  So I bought a pair.  Not sure if I'll still keep looking for hiking boots or not.  

• Like 2

The Teva sandals, however, fit well, and were on sale.  So I bought a pair.  Not sure if I'll still keep looking for hiking boots or not.  

Teva sandals are great. I had them for years (before a foot condition made it no onger tolerable for me to have a strap across the front) and wore them on shorter hikes. My DH wears them exclusively year round, unless there is snow on the ground or he hikes real mountains.

For 3 miles/day they will be absolutely fine. And not as hot as hiking boots.

• Like 1

Are choco sandals as comfortable as Keens?

For walking long distances, definitely not.  At least not in my experience.  I love my Chacos.  I love my Keens but they each have their place.  Long walks are for Keens.  

That said, I'd be concerned about sun protection and sweat.  My feet definitely sweat a lot more in Keens than Chacos but the Keens cover more skin, so better SPF.  

I was going to recommend Tevas! I went to Israel and Jordan for 3 months in 2013 on my husband's sabbatical, and we walked a ton. I also looked at Keen's, just like you, but they didn't fit my feet, either!

My Tevas got me through beautifully. They truly felt secure on all the bumpy walkways in the Old City (Jerusalem) and in Petra. (I also didn't like the crowds, because I was very aware that I didn't know my way around and didn't speak the language.)

I hope they make you feel secure, too. <3

• Like 1