Hello! I have been sort of in the trenches with my little ones for the past year or so, addressing a vague and mysterious regression in the older (probably related to the death of his grandfather, who lived upstairs of us). The HG-EG-PGish thread reminded me of the variety there is in gifted children ... at any rate, it has been good to see what y'all are planning this year; here's my current plan for the older.
(I'd not heard of the Sharon Kayes philosophy before -- thank y'all! I printed out the PDF sample and A. is enraptured ...)
ds A, will be 12 at end of summer.
ETA: this is a work in progress... I am updating it as we finalize things ...
- practice in reading carefully: do orally MP-based literature for Treasure Island, Wind in the Willows, Tom Sawyer, and 19th/20th century American short stories & poetry
- independent reading from Ambleside, esp. years 6 & 7
- Classical Writing Diogenes: Maxim
- MP's English Grammar IV + MCT Grammar Town (without composition)
- All About Spelling: levels 5, 6 & 7
- Math-U-See geometry
- Euclid's Elements, Book 1 (goal of at least 32 propositions, ideally all): using Heath's and Byrne's translations & notes from the Ambleside forum
- read Mathematicians are People, Too, vol. 2
- MP Geography III + AO reading
- Novare's Earth Science + AO reading + Lego projects
Classical Studies.... not sure about just what we'll be doing ... one possible lineup:
- MP studies: Mills' Book of Ancient Greeks & Book of the Ancient World
- Iliad and Odyssey, Lombardo translation with Alexander for clarification, maybe Great Courses lectures
- OUP's World In Ancient times: Ancient Greece (for classics) and Ancient Southeast Asia (his choice)
- I'd love to do Aristophanes' Clouds -- though it is bawdy -- as a third trimester after the MP studies; only a middling chance that will work
- Mills' People of Ancient Israel
- AO Bible schedule
Keyboarding Without Tears
IEW Poetry Memorization, continue
continue piano, which we recently re-started
Harmony Fine arts Year 7, if it isn't too stressful to include
begin martial arts
help train our puppy, arriving mid-August!!!
Edited by serendipitous journey, 01 July 2017 - 09:59 AM.