Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW2

Robin M

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VeganCupcake - Welcome to the world of twins!  Mine will be turning 9 in a few weeks.  That first year was tough, tough, tough...

mumto2 - I re-read Jane Eyre last year for the 3rd time.  It's funny as time changes how I like or dislike certain parts of the book.

Finished last week:  Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart

Working on:

Molecules at an Exhibition by John Emsley

Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman

Misquoting Truth by Timothy Paul Jones

Katherine by Anya Seton

I think I may have to take a break from the "Book a Week" threads for awhile if I'm ever going to get that Homeschool High School Physics thread finished. :)

Argh!  I can't get the multi-quote-thing to work either!

Robin M ~ I'm adding the Ray Bradbury book to my list.  I'm doing a Deal Me In Challenge this year where you pick 52 short stories (for 52 weeks), assign a playing card to them and then draw a card each week to find out what you're reading.  I changed up the challenge though and included short stories, essays, poems and children's classics, so I suppose I'm very "zen" without knowing it!  ;)

Happy Birthday, Melissa!

Violet Crown ~ I've heard so many good reviews of Of Human Bondage recently.  I'm moving it up my list!

Jane in NC ~ I have The Golden Legend on my bookshelf.  It is good enough to be worth me moving it up my list?  It looks intriguing.

Lady Florida ~  Eee gads, you're my type of reader!  Look at all those classics!  I'm sticking with Ulysses and am finding it ....... well, not enjoyable yet but perhaps unique ....???  I'm used to Virginia Woolf's stream-of-consciousness writing, so I've been able to flow with it and enjoy the lyrical quality of the prose.  Part III was weird, but again, I just went with it.  Something useful better start happening soon.  I'm reading my blogger friend's chapter posts as I go along, so it's giving me an idea of the themes/references in each chapter for an improved Ulysses experience!   :001_cool:

Wow, so many of you are such voracious readers!  I've only read two books so far this year, Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift and Meditations by RenĂƒÂ© Descartes.  I gave both 5 stars.

Violet Crown ~ I've heard so many good reviews of Of Human Bondage recently.  I'm moving it up my list!

Jane in NC ~ I have The Golden Legend on my bookshelf.  It is good enough to be worth me moving it up my list?  It looks intriguing.

VC recommended The Golden Legend when I asked about a book on saints last year.  I have barely begun so I am not sure where I stand.  It does seem an interesting companion piece to HoMW.

Of Human Bondage is on my list too.  Last year I read two Maughams, The Narrow Corner and The Moon and Sixpence.  Wonderful writer.

But I really, really must work my way through some dusties in the towering bedside stacks.

I had planned to finish The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur last week, but once I started reading it, I quickly realized it was spiritual reading, intended to be digested in small bites and not finished quickly.  I hope to finish it sometime this year.  Great introspective faith reading. 

I'm currently reading My Antonia by Willa Cather.  Surprisingly, I haven't read Cather before so I decided to pick up one of them.  Last night, My Antonia was the first to pop up on Overdrive, and now I'm about a fifth of the way through and enjoying it.  I'm always fascinated by people who would pick up everything and move to such an unknown without many, if any, assurances.     

ETA:  Just noticed there is a My Antonia thread currently on the Chat board.  Maybe I saw it, subconsciously driving me to read it... 

I finished A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny (pretty good), and ordered A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami but haven't started it yet.  I'm finishing up Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler.  It's been very good as an audible book too! (I go back and forth from listening to reading, especially this week as we've all caught something and it's been difficult to keep my eyes focused for long periods of time.)

I like lists better so here's the list:

Read

1. A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny - pretty good 

Reading:

Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler

and

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Precis Writing for American Schools by Samuel Thurber

Thank you for all the birthday wishes!  The local Chinese restaurant in my small town is closed on Sundays so we will be celebrating later in the week.  

In honor of my birthday I have spend the day reviewing blogs, lists, and old BoW threads.  I have added books to my wish lists, library requests, and purchases.  I plan to spend the evening with a cup of hot chocolate and a book, once I choose what to read next.  I currently have Raphael (Vampires in America Book 1), Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid Book 1), and Urban Shaman (Walker Papers Book 1) loaded onto my kindle.

I started out the year with Iced by Karen Marie Moning, book six in her Fever Series.  This book is different than the rest of the series in that it is told from the point of view of Dani, a supporting character in previous books.  KMM spent quite a bit of time addressing readers concerns over Dani and where the series was headed.  I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and will be picking up the next book in the series.  This is not a good place to start the series.

Next I spent some time with Kristen Ashely.  I read Breathe, book four in her Colorado Mountain Series, and Until the Sun Falls from the Sky, book one in her The Three Series.  I will continue to skip around with her Colorado Mountain Series, but am not sure what to think about The Three Series, which is a paranormal read.  I'm not sure if I will continue with this trilogy.  I would have given it two and a half stars if given the option.

I took a quick visit with an old friend and read Four Days by Dannika Dark, book four in her Seven Series.  This is a fun HEA shifter series based around a wolf pack.

Lastly I ventured out of my comfort zone and read In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hamptom Sides.  As you can read in my review I struggled with the beginning of this book, but I'm glad I stuck with it.  

In response to the thread last week-I am looking for books to go along with or dove tail from HoMW.  These are for me, so adult level, and can include fiction and non-fiction.  I did pick up Justinian's Flea that Chrysalis recommended, which should fit in nicely.

Welcome to the world of multiples VeganCupcake!  My surviving twins are now twelve. I didn't get back to reading until they were well into the toddler stage.  Enjoy!

And to pick up on the IRL book group discussion from last thread...

... I've come to think of book group dynamics as analogous to religious community dynamics...  a long haul commitment, where there inevitably will be divergences of views re: mission and personality bumps along the way, but the long term benefits of hanging in with a good-enough community outweigh the short term frustrations.  

Also similarly, and (for me, at least) counterintuitively, the long term prospects are *better* if there's a reasonable diversity of ages, political orientations, stages of life, world views etc... My first book group as a young adult was comprised mostly of women from my college... all the same age, same stage of life, similar worldview -- and that one morphed into Dinner Club (turned out, not all of us were actually into BOOKS, lol...) which was lovely, but didn't fill my need (OK, "desire") actually to talk about books... other more successful and stable groups have had a great deal of diversity -- as I think is also here on BAW -- which brings so much to the discussion of a book, and also brings so many suggestions on ideas of what to read...

Last night I finished the contemporary new adult novel The Understatement of the Year: (Ivy Years #3) by Sarina Bowen. It's the third in a series, but the first book by this author I've read. It stands alone well though I'd now like to read the rest of the series.

"What happened in high school stayed in high school. Until now.

Five years ago, Michael Graham betrayed the only person who ever really knew him. Since then, he's made an art of hiding his sexual orientation from everyone. Including himself.

So it's a shock when his past strolls right into the Harkness College locker room, sporting a bag of hockey gear and the same slow smile that had always rendered Graham defenseless. For Graham, there is only one possible reaction: total, debilitating panic. With one loose word, the team's new left wing could destroy Graham's life as he knows it.

John Rikker is stuck being the new guy. Again. And it's worse than usual, because the media has latched onto the story of the only "out" player in Division One hockey. As the satellite trucks line the sidewalk outside the rink, his new teammates are not amused.

And one player in particular looks sick every time he enters the room.

Rikker didn't exactly expect a warm welcome from Graham. But the guy won't even meet his eyes. From the looks of it, his former... best friend / boyfriend / whatever isn't doing so well. He drinks too much and can't focus during practice. Either the two loneliest guys on the team will self destruct from all the new pressures in their lives, or they can navigate the pain to find a way back to one another. To say that it won't be easy is the Understatement of the Year."

(Adult content.)

ETA: I see that author Sarina Bowen has a free novella in the same series that is available to Kindle readers:

Blonde Date: An Ivy Years Novella (The Ivy Years)

"A blind date. A nervous sorority girl. A mean-spirited fraternity prank. What could go wrong?

As a sorority pledge, there are commandments that Katie Vickery must live by. One: thou shalt not show up for the party without a date. Two: the guy shall be an athlete, preferably an upperclassman.

Unfortunately, Katie just broke up with her jerkface football player boyfriend. Even worse, her last encounter with him resulted in utter humiliation. SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d rather hide under the bed than attend a party where he'll be.

Yet staying home would mean letting him win.

Enjoying herself tonight was out of the question. She could only hope to get through the evening without her blind date noticing that he was spending the evening with a crazy person.

Andrew Baschnagel is living proof that nice guys donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t finish first. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s had his eye on Katie since the moment her long legs waltzed into his art history class. So when her roommate sets Andy up to be KatieĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s date, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d be crazy to say no. Unfortunately, he doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have a lot of practice with either girls or parties. Yet."

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni, you must read the first two books in the Ivy Years series! Those two were in my top 10 of 2014-----and I have a very difficult time with NA books, having two NAs of my own :lol:

Cracking open Sait Faik Abasiyanik's short story collection, A Useless Man, I realized that the volume is translated from the Turkish by Maureen Freely and Alexander Dawe, the same duo who translated Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar's novel The Time Regulation Institute which I enjoyed very much.  These are not contemporary works that are being translated!  The Time Regulation Institute was published in 1962 while Abasiyanik's stories were written in the first half of the 20th century.  It is taking a while for these voices to be heard in the English speaking world.

Those of you who are interested in the translator's life might enjoy an article that Freely wrote for the Guardian. 

This week I read more of History of the Medieval World. I tried to win a set of galley proofs of The Story of Science by SWB, but didn't win. Darn, I think it will be a great read and I am hoping to make it required reading for our advanced science and math academy when it is published.

I am reading The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation. It would have been an amazing place to work.

Hm, reading Ch. 1 of HoTMW reminds me why I find this style of history frustrating - you just get interested in a meaty topic like the possible reasons behind the conversion of Constantine, and then boom! You are reading about China.  I get why history books get written that way, and it does give you a better sense of the relative times of different events, but it does make it hard to sink your teeth into anything.

Other than that, I'm continuing to read way too many things at the same time.  For fiction, I'm listening to The House of the Seven Gables and reading Ancillary Justice.  For nonfiction, I'm still working on the following:

Whole Earth Discipline: an ecopragmatist manifesto - Stewart Brand

The Glorious Adventure - Richard Halliburton

Memoirs of a Medieval Woman

The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam - Barbara Tuchman

Science As A Way of Knowing: The Foundations of Modern Biology - John Moore

I'm only around halfway through all of them, so it will be awhile . . . . . .

Finished so far:

1. The Case of Comrade Tulayev

2. Night

3. War of the Worlds

I decided to keep track of the first letters and see how many I hit spontaneously!  Silly, but fun.

I had planned to finish The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur last week, but once I started reading it, I quickly realized it was spiritual reading, intended to be digested in small bites and not finished quickly.  I hope to finish it sometime this year.  Great introspective faith reading. 

I'm currently reading My Antonia by Willa Cather.  Surprisingly, I haven't read Cather before so I decided to pick up one of them.  Last night, My Antonia was the first to pop up on Overdrive, and now I'm about a fifth of the way through and enjoying it.  I'm always fascinated by people who would pick up everything and move to such an unknown without many, if any, assurances.     

ETA:  Just noticed there is a My Antonia thread currently on the Chat board.  Maybe I saw it, subconsciously driving me to read it... 

My first Cather was Death Comes for the Archbishop which I enjoyed.  Looking forward to hearing what you thought about My Antonia so I can decided if I want to read it.

I was thinking just today that I want to reread Le Petit Prince and Le Petit Nicholas.  I think the first is beautiful and the second was hilarious.  I think Prince is easier to read than Nicholas.  If my current mystery doesn't absorb me soon (I'm giving it at least 10 pages first), I will switch to one of those.  I'll read them together with you guys if you want.

Happy Birthday, Mel!

Jane - I love your idea of reading lives of the saints while reading the medieval history book.

I could not keep up with last week's thread, so I am glad to start a new week.

I finished a book of poetry. Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow. These poems are best read together and in order, not taken out of the book, but I'll put one at the end of the post anyway.

I believe I am quitting on Ulysses. I find it interesting at times, but as someone else said, not engaging. Time-wise, I think it would have to be my only fiction for the 12 weeks, and I'm not doing that if I don't enjoy it.

I am still reading and enjoying Kafka on the Shore. It is weird and creepy, and I wonder how things will come together.

I have started in on A Zentangle A Day and have made five Zentangles so far. Nan, are you still going to choose a book to inspire doodles?

Poetry books that got a 5-star rating from me:

Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman (the original edition - haven't gotten to the deathbed edition yet)

Goblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti

Complete Poems by Stephen Crane

Selected Poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay

If the Tabloids Are True What Are You? by Matthea Harvey

And though I gave this book 4 stars, I'll add What Narcissism Means to Me by Tony Hoagland since the poem I posted by him last year seemed to affect so many.

Crow's Fall

When Crow was white he decided the sun was too white.

He decided it glared much to whitely.

He decided to attack it and defeat it.

He got his strength flush and in full glitter.

He clawed and fluffed his rage up.

He aimed himself to the centre of himself.

And attacked.

At his battle cry trees grew suddenly old,

Shadows flattened.

But the sun brightened - 

It brightened, and Crow returned charred black.

He opened his mouth but what came out was charred black.

'Up there,' he managed,

'Where white is black and black is white, I won.'

And of the Zentangles I made last week, here is my favorite.zentangle-4.jpg

Oooo, I can see why you like your zentangle!  Thank you for posting it!

Ayup, I have started the project.  I've done the first picture and have figured out how I want to do the second but haven't drawn it yet.  It probably won't be drawn this week, since I am once again tutoring math till the wee hours (algebra 1 this time) and I have a large fish project going, but the math is just this week and then hopefully, I can begin drawing again.  Meanwhile, I've read a few more pages of Drawing on the Artist Within (same author as Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain).  That required a few drawings.  And I drew a few things in the car while waiting for people.  Of course, the car started moving before I was even half done.  This is a very common occurance in my life lol.  But anyway, I will post the first page drawing when I have a chance.

I love the poem!  I've heard that story but I love this way of putting it.  Are the rest like this?

Nan

Kareni, you must read the first two books in the Ivy Years series! Those two were in my top 10 of 2014-----and I have a very difficult time with NA books, having two NAs of my own :lol:

Curiously, my library has the third book only.  The first in the series is on order, so I've put a hold on it.  The second book, I just recommended they purchase.  I did read the free Sarina Bowen novella this afternoon and enjoyed that, too.  I'm glad to see there are other fans here, too.

Are there other new adult titles you'd recommend?

Regards,

Kareni

I am reading The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation. It would have been an amazing place to work.

Oh wow, what a great rec.  My FIL worked at Bell Labs back in the day; he doesn't really read much, but he might just read this.  

Happy Birthday Mel! 

Happy Happy Birthday!!

I finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire yesterday and promptly started The Order of the Phoenix. GOF is my least favorite in the series (book and movie) so I am kinda glad to be done with it.

Me, too.  It always feels like it takes years to get through.

I was going to say more but the lack of multiquote is gonna kill me. 

I am supposed to be finalizing back to school plans, but I have procrastinated a month too long.  Off I go!

I haven't read this book, but I saw a very favorable mention of it elsewhere in a post concerning strong female characters; it also has 507 five star reviews on Amazon.  It's free to Kindle readers.

My Familiar Stranger: A Paranormal Romance (Knights of Black Swan Book 1) by Victoria Danann

"She fell into an alternate dimension, but her fall was cushioned by the Knights of Black Swan.

USA TODAY Bestselling author, Victoria Danann, brings us a complex, unique, and wonderfully heartwarming series that begins with this story, nominated for BEST PARANORMAL ROMANCE NOVEL of 2012 - Reviewer's Choice Awards, The Paranormal Romance Guild.

In a matter of minutes Elora Laiken lost everything familiar. She escaped death by being forced into an experiment that left her in another world where modern day knights, elves, vampires, werewolves, witches, demons and fae became her allies, friends and family. She discovered a place where romance, fantasy and adventure intersect fairy tales and she learned that love can find you in the strangest places, when you're least expecting it, even when you're far, far from home.

If you love romance, paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, suspense, adventure and complex storylines, this book is right for you."

Regards,

Kareni

My first Cather was Death Comes for the Archbishop which I enjoyed.  Looking forward to hearing what you thought about My Antonia so I can decided if I want to read it.

So far it's an easy read.  I found out after starting it that it is third in her Great Plains trilogy (O Pioneer! being the first), but decided I didn't care that I was reading them out of order.  It's interesting how she uses the landscaping almost as another character.  Living on the Great Plains myself makes it easier to recognize.

If I end up liking her, then I want to try Death Comes for the Archbishop--heard it's good.  I feel like that title should belong to a mystery novel.   :ph34r:

So far it's an easy read.  I found out after starting it that it is third in her Great Plains trilogy (O Pioneer! being the first), but decided I didn't care that I was reading them out of order.  It's interesting how she uses the landscaping almost as another character.  Living on the Great Plains myself makes it easier to recognize.

If I end up liking her, then I want to try Death Comes for the Archbishop--heard it's good.  I feel like that title should belong to a mystery novel.   :ph34r:

Death Comes for the Archbishop is easily my favorite Cather novel. Even if you *don't* like My Antonia, you should try that one. :)

For my first week I blew through more fiction books than I have in a long time - seems like with non-fiction (what I'd been reading mostly) I generally read a bit here and then look at another, and then another and take forever to get back to the first - if I ever do.

How We Learn by Benedict Carey  - this fit the above model - had to finish it because it was due at library and some one else wanted it

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman -read aloud - I did not love this the way it seems a lot of others did

Cart and Cwidder by Diana Wynne Jones -this one's been showing up on several different Goodreads rec lists - it was 'eh' though

Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher - ditto above goodreads  - I haven't really enjoyed any graphic novel that was based on a book/series yet - this was at least interesting because it is based on his world/character but was an original story

The Zero Stone by Andre Norton - re-read due to another thread

Uncharted Stars by Andre Norton - sequel to above

Carousel Seas by Sharon Lee - xmas present

The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor - New Years Resolution time lol!

Started :

Three Men and a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Blackout by Connie Willis

These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer

Ok, more procrastination.  I had one of those judgemental moments about books.  Dh does not read the same kind of books I read.  In fact, he kinda hates reading and thinks he has a reading disorder.  We both like HP but he prefers books like 2001: A Space Odyssey and musician biographies, and I like darker books and history.  So I felt myself cringe seeing books friends down rated on Goodreads.  It made me sad. "WHY don't you see this is clearly a 5 star book?!?!?", so I think I'm a little emotional this week and need to stay off of there.  I may actually have shed a tear or two.  A reminder to myself not to take it personally. ;) 

Also, I have to read Alice in Wonderland to my 10 year old starting tomorrow and I want to stab my eyes out.  Totally hypocritical of me, but I swore I'd never read that book again.  :lol:

Wow, so many of you are such voracious readers!  I've only read two books so far this year, <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver"href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver" s_travels"="">Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift and Meditations by RenĂƒÂ© Descartes.  I gave both 5 stars.

I can only speak for myself but the three books listed in my "Read" folder were all books I started in December. I haven't actually read three books this year; only finished them.

I very much enjoyed Gulliver's Travels but agree with a PP (can't remember who it was) who said Swift didn't think much of the human race. We're all just a bunch of yahoos. :D

Descartes is someone I've always wanted to try and read, but I've never made it a priority. I say try and read because philosophy books tend to make me sleepy. 

Happy Birthday, melmichigan!

I finished my first book of 2015, 'Deerskin' by Robin McKinely. It was a slog but it did pick up somewhat in the last 25% and I felt pulled into the story enough to finish it. But gosh, slogging through 75% to get to the last 25% of 'not bad'! I did a full review for this on GR. Five stars for vision, 2.75 for delivery.

I finished my audiobook by David Whyte, 'What to Remember When Waking', whom I linked earlier. It was wonderful and full of so many pithy, poetic jewels that I'll be returning to this soon. Listening to him I was bodied across a widening, luminous ocean, diamonds and light glinting off the waves and huge, dark rocks and green sedges bordering the shores. Five stars for this. I'm looking forward to more of his work and next up, I think, is The Three Marriages. The subtitle of this book, Reimagining Work, Self and Relationship is the kind of thing that would normally have my dour Canadian-British-Scottish lineage self running far, far away but because it's David Whyte, he of the spare, lush, sober lyric, I know it's not going to be self-indulgent, claptrap nonsense.

I also wrapped up book three of 2015, 'The Limits of Enchantment' by Graham Joyce. Not as compelling as 'Some Kind of Fairy Tale' but it held my interest with a degree of consistency. Strong female characters full of salt and heft. 3.5 stars for this one.

So Far for 2015

1. Deerskin -- fiction, kindle, genre :: allegory/fairytale

2. What to Remember When Waking -- non-fiction, audiobook, genre :: soul work

3. The Limits of Enchantment -- fiction, hardcopy, genre :: magical realism

Up this Week

Solstice Wood by Patricia McKillip

The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein

Zero History by William Gibson (dh thinks I'll enjoy this though it's far out of my usual range)

Zentangles Robyn, loved seeing your work. What fun! I'll try and post some of mine this week.

Not Yet Incarnated

HotMW :: haven't decided whether I want to read along and not making up my mind is sort of a way of making up my mind.

Happy Birthday Mel!  

I haven't posted here in a few weeks. Two reasons:

1. My reading has been rather sporadic and spotty

2. I get overwhelmed when this thread gets too long. Sorry ... had to say it. 

I've read:

I read A Walk in the Woods - 5 Stars - I adored this book from the first page to the last. I love Bill BrysonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s humor, his overall style, and his descriptiveness. 

Beyond the Deepwoods - 3 Stars - my daughter asked me to read this. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s geared towards children and is fantasy, action/adventure. My only complaint is that the story is a little bit too action-packed, for the poor protagonist who is so like-able and yet seldom seems to get much time to breathe! My daughter reassures me that the series gets much better. SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s read them all at least twice, I think. I look forward to reading more in the series. 

Rick StevesĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Amsterdam, Bruges, and Brussels Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 4 Stars - a very helpful guide for a trip that we hope weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll make someday soon, not sure when! 

9780307279460.jpg 9780385750684.jpg 9781612385433.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay Ă¢â‚¬â€œ nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish Ă¢â‚¬â€œ waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re that bad.

Happy Birthday Mel!  

I haven't posted here in a few weeks. Two reasons:

1. My reading has been rather sporadic and spotty

2. I get overwhelmed when this thread gets too long. Sorry ... had to say it. 

I've read:

I read A Walk in the Woods - 5 Stars - I adored this book from the first page to the last. I love Bill BrysonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s humor, his overall style, and his descriptiveness. 

Added it to my Overdrive account.  Looks like something I might enjoy.  I grew up in the foothills of the Appalachians and still carry a bit of the accent.  A friend of mine recommended another of his books, At Home, which I haven't read yet, but it's on my to-read list.  Thanks for the reminder!

I'm sneeking on here while my students do a diagnostic test (I just love the smell of test induced axiety in the morning). Oh and in case anyone thinks the multiquote feature is back, it isn't I did the Elian method.

I will happily take the credit/blame!

Regards,

Kareni

Well consider yourself credited/blamed. I was up until just after midnight. It was one, if not the, best book in the Romance genre I've read (NA is a new category for me).

I really liked Band of Brothers.  Before I read the book, I watched the miniseries on Prime, and it really helped me understand all of the military speak and timeline.  Hope you enjoy it!

I saw the series several years ago and the book has been on my TBR pile ever since. I am really looking forward to it.

I really enjoyed My Antonia but right now I can't remember why (I am blaming Kareni :leaving: :lol: )

Ok, more procrastination.  I had one of those judgemental moments about books.  Dh does not read the same kind of books I read.  In fact, he kinda hates reading and thinks he has a reading disorder.  We both like HP but he prefers books like 2001: A Space Odyssey and musician biographies, and I like darker books and history.  So I felt myself cringe seeing books friends down rated on Goodreads.  It made me sad. "WHY don't you see this is clearly a 5 star book?!?!?", so I think I'm a little emotional this week and need to stay off of there.  I may actually have shed a tear or two.  A reminder to myself not to take it personally. ;)

Also, I have to read Alice in Wonderland to my 10 year old starting tomorrow and I want to stab my eyes out.  Totally hypocritical of me, but I swore I'd never read that book again.  :lol:

2001: A Space Odyssey was the first book anyone read out loud to me. I was less than 24 hours old. Why, yes, my love of books is genetic...also I think this explains my weirdness :hat: :lol:

Negin I too loved A Walk in the Woods. His other books have been a bit hit and miss for me.

I grew up in the foothills of the Appalachians and still carry a bit of the accent.  A friend of mine recommended another of his books, At Home, which I haven't read yet, but it's on my to-read list.  Thanks for the reminder!

Chris, how interesting that you grew up near there! I recently read "At Home" and although I liked it a lot, I much preferred this one. As Teacher Zee just mentioned, his books are a bit of a hit and miss. I've liked most, loved some, but I haven't hated any. Not that I've read all of them by any means. 

I was thinking just today that I want to reread Le Petit Prince and Le Petit Nicholas. I think the first is beautiful and the second was hilarious. I think Prince is easier to read than Nicholas. If my current mystery doesn't absorb me soon (I'm giving it at least 10 pages first), I will switch to one of those. I'll read them together with you guys if you want.

Happy Birthday, Mel!

Jane - I love your idea of reading lives of the saints while reading the medieval history book.

I would like to read them, as I've never read it before.

But in which language do you read them?

I own Le petit Prince in French and Dutch.

I don't have Le Petit Nicholas in book yet, I do have the dvd ( in French, Dutch subtitled)

For those of you who read paranormals I just ran into a new to me author while looking for Kareni and Teacherzee's new favorite series called Ivy Years(not paranormal but something called new adult, curious). I can't find it but started searching using Ivy which gave me a load of books by Alexandra Ivy. While wading through those I spotted one with a Gargoyle on the coverhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17207134-levet?from_search=trueand I love Gargoyles. Has anyone read The Guadians of Eternity series? They start with https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72286.When_Darkness_Comes?from_search=truewhich sounds pretty good. I need to do some overdrive returns so I can check one out.

Happy Birthday Mel!

I'm still reading Rabbi Eilberg's "Enemy to Friend" book and enjoying it.  I keep wanting to stop and copy her quotes down but I think owning the book is probably enough.  One of the early quotes talks about conflict being a pulling back of the light which leaving an empty space to create something new.  

In other news, Dh said he would support me looking for a new church as it's been almost a year now since I accidentally flushed out my online stalker and I am still dealing with fallout.  I've learned and grown from this experience so it has been a blessing but I think the "empty space" in our case will be filled with community somewhere else.  

I would like to read them, as I've never read it before.

But in which language do you read them?

I own Le petit Prince in French and Dutch.

I don't have Le Petit Nicholas in book yet, I do have the dvd ( in French, Dutch subtitled)

Le Petit Prince was read aloud to me when I was little in English. I read it in French now.

Le Petit Nicholas I read in French.

Can you read French?

I also have several fairy tales in Spanish that I want to read but those require looking up every other word.

Nan

Shukriyya - just remember that Solstice Wood is atypical. Not that Mckillip doesn't have other atypical books, but I don,t want you to read this one and think you don,t like Mckillip. I think she is an author whose prose and relationships you might appreciate. Having just finished Some Kind of Fairytale, I think you might like Solstice Wood. I like it better than SKoF but perhaps you won,t? The story doesn't,t have as many layers. Reading SKoF makes me think of taking my 5yo to the magic show. To us, it was amazing. To him, it was not because to him, it was all done by magic. I think to fully appreciate SKoF, you might have to be aware of how hard it is to create a real world? I take this ability in authors for granted. I,m pretty sure you and many of the others here don,t. If that makes any sense...

Nan

Pam, For the sake of you like research I want to report I have used pretty close to 100 since yesterday this time. I didn't obstain but have been keeping track and the new thread moving quickly means I am now out.

If I don't like someone's post know that I am out at that moment!

Negin - I loved A Walk in the Woods, too, except for the depressing bits.

LaughingCat - I have tried Cart and Cwidder several times and couldn't make it past the first bit. The child is so distressed in such a helpless child way...

Hugs, Uff Da! I hope you land in a safe place, a place of growth and good people making the world a better place.

All - Why does it worry you not to finish books? If it is nonfiction, then it is not at all strange to only read the bits one needs; people normally do this when they are researching and learning about something, don't they? And if it is fiction, then why does it matter?

What is NA?

Nan

All - Why does it worry you not to finish books? If it is nonfiction, then it is not at all strange to only read the bits one needs; people normally do this when they are researching and learning about something, don't they? And if it is fiction, then why does it matter?

What is NA?

Nan

I don't finish books I don't like! In fact, I have a Goodreads shelf titled "did not finish". Life is too short to read bad books :D

NA stands for New Adult, a bridge between YA (Young Adult---middle school and high school topics) and true adult fiction. NA books tend to focus on protagonists in college or just entering the working world.

Many NA books involve oodles of trauma and/or angst. I can't stand that!