Menu

I never buy a car without good resale value, but I don't know why. I NEVER trade in, and always keep a car until it dies. :001_smile:

We never think of resale value because we keep cars forever. I do tend to buy cars with higher resale values but only because they have much better reliability statistics than their competition (we have Hondas and a Toyota). I suppose that translates into resale value eventually.

I guess my analogy makes sense only to me. LOL. Sorry about that.:lol:

Ria

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never think of resale value because we keep cars forever. I do tend to buy cars with higher resale values but only because they have much better reliability statistics than their competition (we have Hondas and a Toyota). I suppose that translates into resale value eventually.

Ria

What is funny (to me) is that I was thinking of Hondas in particular when I posted.

But in a way, resale & reliability go hand-in-hand.

Just to ask the question, (not to get anyone angry), do you think this is the same as when people buy kids clothes with the intent to resell?

I see this a lot when I go to Gymboree. Women ringing up hundreds of dollars worth of cute matching outfits, and very openly discussing how they will sell it to buy next season's stuff. It's big business here. Just asking. No judgement intended. :001_smile:

The other day I was in Tuesday Morning buying books for my dd(THey have great prices). A lady was talking loudly on her cell phone, telling someone she goes to Tuesday Morning and buys $15 books for $3.99 and then sells them at her "booth" at the church bazaar. Apparently this money is for her, not the church.

(And no I wasn't eavesdropping. Her voice was like a megaphone :001_smile:)

I am sure this has been brought up, but one nice thing can come for the publisher when a buyer buys used. I may take a chance and buy something more expensive used that I normally would not even consider buying new. If I like it, I will go to the publisher and buy the next book or level new. So they can get new customers and good word-of-mouth advertising that way.

Not only does it introduce people to curriculum more expensive then they might otherwise consider it also creates a need for consumables and supplementary material (I bought MUS used but then had to go buy the b

locks new for instance). It also generates more people who use the material and can review and reccomend the material to others.

It shouldn't be assumed that those who buy used would otherwise buy new. In fact that's probably not the case most times. But if they buy used they may become future customers of the new material.

Ria

:lol: You're making perfect sense. (And lightening the mood.:leaving:)

What you will eventually get is a sea-change in the way things are presented to you. People who do the best work, whether it's writing curriculum, producing songs, etc., aren't going to continue to do it for free or little money. They will switch professions, or they will find new ways to hold onto and market their products.

I think that what might happen with curriculum is eventually people will put it online and then charge a monthly fee for you to access it. You won't be able to download it, print it out, etc; you will have to come to their website each and every time you use it and you will have to pay for the privilege. That's not going to happen right away; but it's coming down the pike.

:iagree:This is already taking place.

I also noticed that the cost of the material has increased dramatically over the past decade. TMs weren't always $100! They were at one time quite reasonable.

Products that were once re-usable are now consumable. Good for the company but not so good for the family.

Just to ask the question, (not to get anyone angry), do you think this is the same as when people buy kids clothes with the intent to resell?

I see this a lot when I go to Gymboree. Women ringing up hundreds of dollars worth of cute matching outfits, and very openly discussing how they will sell it to buy next season's stuff. It's big business here. Just asking. No judgement intended. :001_smile:

The other day I was in Tuesday Morning buying books for my dd(THey have great prices). A lady was talking loudly on her cell phone, telling someone she goes to Tuesday Morning and buys $15 books for $3.99 and then sells them at her "booth" at the church bazaar. Apparently this money is for her, not the church.

(And no I wasn't eavesdropping. Her voice was like a megaphone :001_smile:)

Yeah, it probably is, except that we're talking about mom-and-pop-type curriculum producers vs. big corporations. Either way, resale doesn't bother me too much. I mean, if you want to dress your kid to the nines and expend the time and effort to keep the clothes nice enough that you can resell them to someone who couldn't afford full-price Gymbo clothes, why shouldn't you? Isn't this the premise of garage sales, after all? And it wouldn't bother me that that woman buys the books to resell at her booth either. I do get kind of annoyed when I'm stuck behind resellers at the good library book sales, but that's mainly just sour grapes :D If I'd been there 15 minutes earlier, I'd have snagged those Usborne books instead, and the library still benefits, so...eh!

And, I agreed with your comments re: TOG. But, you did say:

"As far as reselling - if you no longer have a need for it, why should you keep it??"

Implying there are only two options: re-sell, or keep them. Then, asta is attacked for pointing out that she *donates* them (the emphasis being given because it's a third, yet unmentioned, option), as if that's a horrible thing. But, she's probably like me - a very expressive person. Sometimes that doesn't translate well in print. But, whatever.

So, if she took it that way (or you did), that's not my problem. Just like it's not her problem that I got offended by her comment.

So, if she took it that way (or you did), that's not my problem. Just like it's not her problem that I got offended by her comment.

But really, isn't it so much nicer for everyone to try to be kind and charitable rather than trying to blame others or absolve oneself of any wrongdoing? A little grace can go a long way, especially on the internet.

Ria

True publishers know that school texts will be resold. They plan for it. They have been for generations. When my grandparents were in public school in the 1920s, the parents bought the textbooks each year. If you were poor, you bought a used one from someone in the community or used the one that had first been used by siblings in the years before. The same was true for my mother in the 1950s and 60s. When I was in college in the early 90s, unless an edition was brand new, not everyone bought a new copy. The only way I could afford college was with used texts whenever possible. I used to teach in public schools. When the schools I taught in began changing texts, they would consider how long the book was in publication. If even a year had passed since publication, the school would try to buy as many used copies from places such as Follet Book services first before paying for all new everything. It only made good financial sense.

To expect homeschool families to somehow behave differently (only buy new, never used, never resell) is odd to me. Yes, I know some small publishers need support. But, if they have been in the homeschool environment as homeschool parents, they have to know there is an active resale market. And as such, they need to work with professionals to help market their products in the best way possible. They need to learn how to navigate that market. I also try to buy from small sellers when possible, but for me to continue homeschooling I have to buy some used and I need to resell what I no longer will be using.

do you think this is the same as when people buy kids clothes with the intent to resell?

I have no problem with reselling, ever. I bought it. I own it. I decide what happens to it next.

I don't buy curricula with an eye toward reselling because I mostly buy used anyway, and I tend to make small-ticket purchases ($6 for ETC, for example, or a used History Pockets book for $7), but that notwithstanding, I think it's a smart investment decision to consider the resale value. If I have two resources that seem equally good, and I can resell one for significantly more money than the other, it's smart to buy the one that has a better value.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

NOT to get off topic but my mother in law is one of those people who keeps the original boxes for things. I was going through some stuff and she has my husband's train set from 1963 in its original box. I think she is a little nuts but I love her anyway.

P.S. She doesn't do it for the resale value that is just her. My husband is the same way. I am on the other hand am lucky to make it out of the store with the item in the box. :lol:

I didn't single out a particular post or poster; there were a number of people who immediately assumed the worst of Asta, and I'm not sure that's fair.

Look at it this way: when I buy a car, I don't do it with the thought, "Hey - I can use this and then make a good percentage of my money back!" Instead, I think, "I'll use this car for as long as I can and will part with it someday." Now, the end result is the same, right? I'm more than likely going to sell the car. The difference is in the initial intent. I, too, am surprised when people buy curriculum with the *plan* to sell the stuff in order to try to make back some of the money. I have no problems with people selling used curriculum, but it does strike me as odd to purchase something with the thought of resale in mind. It's a subtle difference...I hope what I'm trying to get at is coming across.

I didn't mean to offend you. I just think that people were unduly quick to read condemnation into Asta's post.

Ria

For the record (as if it matters), this sums up what I took away from Asta's original post as well. I choose my homeschool materials (used or new) based on what I hope will work best for us. The re-sale value never enters my mind as a deciding factor. But, then, I would never consider the re-sale value of a car either. (Mine is now 9 years old - bought used @1yo - and only has 50K miles.)

I really don't think she meant any ill toward anyone.

(Moving back to the Curriculum Board, now....)

btw ~ Good to see you, Ria! Glad you're back on the board!

I think that what might happen with curriculum is eventually people will put it online and then charge a monthly fee for you to access it. You won't be able to download it, print it out, etc; you will have to come to their website each and every time you use it and you will have to pay for the privilege. That's not going to happen right away; but it's coming down the pike.

I've seen this is a few places too. CHC has e-books now. FIAR has said eventually they hope to be entirely digital. Thing is these things are NOT any cheaper or better for the consumer, imnsvho.

Personally, I refuse to buy most things as downloads or online whatever.

It's a pain in the rear to print, to configure, make sure your software is always compatible computer/software (and yet another expense if it isn't!).

Don't get me wrong, I love technology. Met my dh in computer programming courses and dh happens to be an e-learning curriculum developer for a fortune 500 company (well until June anyway - when they will lay him off so they can outsource to India:glare:).

But technology will never replace the feel of a book in ones hand, the ability to pick up and go, to literally hold the value of something in your hand. To me, that is majorly worth something.

We're living in a golden age of books and curriculum. Our kids will not be able to school their kids as cheaply as we do with the range of options we have right now. In the future, the dreck will be freely available; you'll have to pay for the good stuff in every category.

I agree. That's why I try to stock my home with the best I can afford. And when I find better, I'm willing to sell what was of lesser quality (lesser in practical use, or simple fit for our family/child, or whatever *I* deem as "less":)) to get those better items.

But he came up with an alternate plan. Now he doesn't sell through any storefronts. You can only buy his games from him. He put the price right back up and is standing his ground; you want a game of his quality - you pay for it.

This I have no issue with and am pretty used to already anyways as most catholic curriculum is sold like this, or at the least with very limited storefront options.

I think curriculum developers will eventually make similar choices; they'll have to in order to stay afloat. If they put out one textbook that people can sell over and over again, they can't stay in business.

I can only think of one text that is the sole product of the company and that's Life of Fred math texts. However, I think he will stay in business despite that fact because he sells it at such a great price, that there's really no reason to buy it used.

As for non-consumables being bad business, I really disagree. To me, that's a major selling feature and I'm sure it is for others too. Also, more than once I've bought something non-consumable and liked it enough to buy other products too.

I also factor in how steady the provider is. For example, one of the things I liked about MCP math is that I could buy the student books every year, but the TM was nonconsumable. I'd be very leary of a curriculum provider that was constantly changing their stuff. It would feel unreliable to me. As though every year I had to decide if it was worth it. Whereas the providers I trust tend to have demonstrated a steady production of the same great quality and style.

Just my $1.;)

I've never been able to mince words to just .02:D

Many, many people would NOT buy a car without considering its resale value.

Oh my, my mom and I change cars every 3 or 4 years. If I could, I would even prefer a new one every 2 years. I never buy new cars though. I trade in one car for another used car, which I trade in later for another used car, and so on. I always consider the resale value because I buy with the intent to resell.

We have to lay some of the blame on the publishers and the lack of marketing technique. If you want to avoid reselling then make your stuff consumable... If publishers do not want you to do that then they should create their programs as consumables.

Sadly, this isn't a guarantee. I have seen plenty of consumables for sale and know of many people who make copies of consumables, pop them into a notebook, then sell the workbook. I wish more people would realize they are committing theft when they do this, but sadly most do not (or do and go ahead anyway).

Edited by Tutor
typo

Off topic from the original post but not far from where some of the other posts have traveled:

My son is taking a Microbiology course at the CC this semester. When we investigated the cost of the text online, we saw that it sold for roughly $150 new. Given a recent publication date, used copies were not an option.

At the college bookstore, we found the text for $100. The difference? The edition was not bound. The pages were punched to be placed in a loose leaf binder. Given this arrangement, the book cannot be resold to the college or to a dealer who would not be inclined to count pages to see if the book is intact.

I suspect that this may be a new trend in the college textbook publishing field where students turn to the Internet or resale cooperatives to regroup more than the few dollars college bookstores give when they buy back books.

Jane

Look at it this way: when I buy a car, I don't do it with the thought, "Hey - I can use this and then make a good percentage of my money back!" Instead, I think, "I'll use this car for as long as I can and will part with it someday." Now, the end result is the same, right? I'm more than likely going to sell the car. The difference is in the initial intent. I, too, am surprised when people buy curriculum with the *plan* to sell the stuff in order to try to make back some of the money. I have no problems with people selling used curriculum, but it does strike me as odd to purchase something with the thought of resale in mind. It's a subtle difference...I hope what I'm trying to get at is coming across.

Ria

With all the used curriculum sales going on (there are even sale/swap boards here!), you're surprised that when someone is considering whether they can afford a $400 curriculum, it crosses their mind that, when they're done with it, they can sell it for maybe $200? And that knowing it has some resale value, that goes into their purchase decision? I'm kind of surprised that that surprises you, LOL.

Wendi

I will say that I understand why Lampstand is doing the licensing thing, but I have a hard time classifying TOG as a "software product" in my head. I suppose if it had been that way from the beginning, I wouldn't have such a hard time with it.

I still think of TOG as a non-consumable product with information to use. It's all PDF documents. If TOG were a plug-in or a set of plug-ins for Homeschool Tracker, or a full-fledged competitor to HST, where you could point-and-click your worksheets, assignments and schedules in a customized format, I would think of it more as a "software" product. (Think Photoshop -- you use it to make stuff.)

In general, I figure that once you buy something non-consumable, you ought to be able to resell it at any time and for any reason. It's nobody's concern what you do with your own property, right? All this assumes, of course, that you haven't infringed on the publisher's copyright (photocopying the whole thing to keep a copy for yourself, etc.). With software, this means that I'd have to remove the whole thing from my system and transfer it to someone else, and not keep a copy on my computer to continue using it.

I was really hoping the DE price would be a lot lower, given the licensing issue. It's certainly no bargain to spend that much money on something only you can use, kwim?

Oh, I get rid of stuff - I donate it.

asta

I do this too. I rarely sell anything. I did recently sell a copy of SOTW because I had purchased a copy of year three and I already owned year three (oops, maybe I should have organized my shelves a little better).

But I am starting to cast off first and second grade materials and I am just passing them on, free of charge, to folks with younger kids. I have been blessed by others in this way throughout the years, it feels good to pass things along now.

So any suggestions on how to make a World History curriculum consumable? All I've got is (really rockin' :D) maps and notebooking pages. Good enough?

:iagree:

I want the "homegrown" homeschooling curriculum publishers to stay in business! I might resell the books but not the TM or original products from a publisher. I put original products/TM into the catagory that I would put school tuition if my children went to private school.

I will resell an item if I purchased it but on closer inspection it was just not going to be a good fit for my family. I might purchase something use if I'm trying something out unseen but once I find a publisher that I want to thrive I prefer to purchase directly from them. They are doing me a service and I want them to continue to provide me that service in the future!

I love you. ;)

even though the original observation was made that re-selling might make it much more difficult for curriculum providers to stay in business.
Yes. I worry about it. Really worry. That's why I am reading through all of this.

But I am starting to cast off first and second grade materials and I am just passing them on, free of charge, to folks with younger kids. I have been blessed by others in this way throughout the years, it feels good to pass things along now.

I just feel like other homeschooling families around here are really, really making a big sacrifice to homeschool because housing is SO pricey in the Bay Area, and I am glad to be able to bless a few with usable, high quality stuff for free. Last year I joined a Christian homeschooling group that has Teachers' Nights Out monthly during the school year, and we have an Acts 4 table where we bring free stuff to give away. It doesn't always get taken, and then we have to haul it home, so I only bring one box at a time. Recently I have tried just emailing the membership along with some other homeschoolers with younger children, and offering specific materials by name, and that worked out really well, so I think I will do that more often.

I don't buy things and copy them so I can sell them. But I do tend to copy rather than consume some materials, like the Saxon Math test book, just in case I want to use the same test or worksheet twice for some reason. And Writing Strands assignments are usually done on separate paper, despite the workbook appearance of the books. I would feel guilty if I did those copies with the intention of preserving for resale, but since I do it for functional reasons, I think they fall within the realm of fair use copying.

I haven't read all of the replies. I have to say that I have sold quite a bit of used curriculum over the years. One reason is because my kids are so far apart in age. Another reason is I have to be careful with our budget. Another reason that I never thought I would actually think about is that the amount of TRASH that it would create if we all only bought new. Think about how much will eventually end up in a landfill. I watched Oprah on Earth Day and they showed the trash heap for 1/3 of LA in just 5 hours of the dump running. It was insane. If something is completely usable, I see absolutely no reason to not resell it.

Last year I joined a Christian homeschooling group that has Teachers' Nights Out monthly during the school year, and we have an Acts 4 table where we bring free stuff to give away.

What a nice idea!

On two different occasions I have been blessed by former homeschoolers who have graduated all their students and just want the stuff GONE. The last time was very recently and this mom gave me Abeka and BJU and Saxon high school texts and her only request was that I not sell them. She wanted me to use them personally or give them away. These are not my favorite texts, so I have been having so much fun loading down other homeschoolers who are just entering high school with their students for the first time. I just gave a mom all the components for Abeka biology. This makes it easier for her to perhaps spend more on another subject than she might have been able to if she'd been buying science too.

Anyway, I have no problem with reselling, but I rarely do it. It's a hassle and by the time stuff goes through all my kids it is usually out of date or it looks like it washed up on a remote beach after surviving a fire and a tornado and a shipwreck. So I just give it away.

There is little money in it; if you sell to Rainbow Resource you have to discount to them, so you make very little profit if you are self-publishing. As for the reselling, I have no problem with it within reason.

I sold my science program (My World Science) both on Rainbow Resource and my own website. I offered a download of the student pages at a discount for families of multiple kids; the agreement was that the downloads were not to be printed for anyone outside the immediate family and that they could not be resold. I still offer the downloads, so if someone buys a teachers manual and needs pages, they can get them.

Ria

And might I point out that the world is worse off since you discontinued My World Science? :crying:

So any suggestions on how to make a World History curriculum consumable?

I'll jump in.

I think if your curriculum has a guide that is set up to write in, it becomes consumable. I was looking at MFW for next year, and I liked that it has space to schedule in my other subjects. The down side was that it made me flinch to spend $100 on a consumable guide (writing in it makes it consumable). As a consumer, if the guide is priced well, I'll be more likely to consume it, and therefore unable to resell it.

I hope that makes sense.:confused:

Lori

I think in evaluating the reasonableness of a price it depends on how you consider a TM. If I think of a TM like TOG or Sonlight as representing hours saved of research, book selection and scheduling, then I don't have to save very many hours to be worth $100. [i'm assuming that I save over 20 hours of work and that my own time is worth at least $5 an hour.] But if I were longer on time and shorter on money I would have a different viewpoint. [Work put into scheduling and book research that saved me $100 might be quite productive work under different circumstances.]

On the other hand, I have TMs for specific works of literature that I don't consider worth the $8 I paid for them because the vocabulary and analysis work is stuff I can do in my sleep (I read lots and have a degree in English). It isn't the pricepoint that makes one reasonable for me and the other not, it the work that I am saved. For another family the $8 lit guide might be quite valuable.

Having said all that, I think that families who buy curricula based on a presumption that they will be recouping value by reselling it may be painting themselves into a corner. The ability to buy and sell over the internet has changed the resale value of lots of stuff down, including homeschool curricula. I sold tons of stuff at a used homeschool book sale and netted relatively little. It doesn't take many years, many editions or many changes in the curriculum fashion world to render something of little resale value. I think that I actually did better by offering items for free on local email lists. I frequently had families ask to pay for things I'd offered for free. They cheerfully paid what I'd been asking at booksales and been unable to get.

Guest Katia
I do this too. I rarely sell anything.

I am just passing them on, free of charge, to folks with younger kids. I have been blessed by others in this way throughout the years, it feels good to pass things along now.

Oh, yes. This is me as well. When we first started homeschooling 15 years ago, we had very little money and bought our entire curriculum used from a homeschooler who had a used books business. We sold/swapped them back to her when we were finished for the next years books....and she passed on the ones we had used to someone else. Honestly, we couldn't have homeschooled any other way.

Now, we find ourselves in a totally different financial place, and I have purchased all our curriculum new, from the publishers, for the last four or five years.

Sometimes, if someone specifically asks me if they can purchase my ______(whatever set) when we are finished with it, I will sell it to them. My policy for selling is 1/2 of original price and if someone has asked to purchase it, they are very happy to pay 1/2 price. I don't profit from this other than that I don't have something I no longer need cluttering up my house.

But, what I do most often, is simply donate. One gal I know is a supervising teacher for many,many families. She has a lending library of sorts and I love to donate to her library because I know there are a LOT of families that will benefit from it; she loans the curriculum out for the year, gets it back when they are finished with it and loans it out to someone else the next year. She only does this for families that can NOT afford to purchase their own curriculum and would not otherwise be able to homeschool. If they *can* purchase it, she makes sure they *do* purchase it, kwim?

I have also sent my used curriculum to...is it the Book Samaritan? I like to do this as well, but the last time I cleaned out my books, I paid over $80 in shipping to send the books so someone else could use them! That was a bit much even for my philanthropic pocket-book. :tongue_smilie:

True publishers know that school texts will be resold. They plan for it. They have been for generations. When my grandparents were in public school in the 1920s, the parents bought the textbooks each year. If you were poor, you bought a used one from someone in the community or used the one that had first been used by siblings in the years before. The same was true for my mother in the 1950s and 60s. When I was in college in the early 90s, unless an edition was brand new, not everyone bought a new copy. The only way I could afford college was with used texts whenever possible. I used to teach in public schools. When the schools I taught in began changing texts, they would consider how long the book was in publication. If even a year had passed since publication, the school would try to buy as many used copies from places such as Follet Book services first before paying for all new everything. It only made good financial sense.

To expect homeschool families to somehow behave differently (only buy new, never used, never resell) is odd to me. Yes, I know some small publishers need support. But, if they have been in the homeschool environment as homeschool parents, they have to know there is an active resale market. And as such, they need to work with professionals to help market their products in the best way possible. They need to learn how to navigate that market. I also try to buy from small sellers when possible, but for me to continue homeschooling I have to buy some used and I need to resell what I no longer will be using.

Generally speaking, schools pay a lot more for textbooks to begin with, and buy a lot more of them at a time. The textbook company does really well with just one school buying their product one year. Compare that to someone buying WPs Animal Worlds... lets say 10 people buy it the first year, then the next year 10 people get it used and 4 people buy it... etc. Hours and hours go into researching, reading, scheduling, etc. I can't tell you how little payoff it is to sell only a few guidebooks. It is a very valid concern.

I'll jump in.

I think if your curriculum has a guide that is set up to write in, it becomes consumable. I was looking at MFW for next year, and I liked that it has space to schedule in my other subjects. The down side was that it made me flinch to spend $100 on a consumable guide (writing in it makes it consumable). As a consumer, if the guide is priced well, I'll be more likely to consume it, and therefore unable to resell it.

I hope that makes sense.:confused:

Lori

Thanks for the idea!:)

I'm living in a house that I'm paying for and using as well. I purchased this house knowing I wasn't going to be using it forever. I use it and maintain it in an excellent condition, knowing someone else will be using it after me. I fully expect to resell this house and make some money from it.

Obviously the house will net me a profit after use and the curriculum will not. But both are investments I make for the good of my family.

When I buy a textbook or other educational item, I am not purchasing a service. I am purchasing a finished product. If the author wants to offer services to go along with the item, I would pay extra for it. I see a big difference between a service (action) and a thing (property).

no kidding! this warrants a big ol' DUH. maybe asta would like to clarify? chintzy?

I'm not really sure how that helps curriculum publishers though. Either way, you're still eliminating a potential customer.

nothing like pointing out the obvious, eh? LOL!

Of all the things I figured I'd be condemned for in this life, doing what I could to support HS businesses and donating to people who wanted/needed things I was lucky enough to have never entered my mind.

I guess it's because I'm so haughty and judgmental that this never occurred to me.

no, it's cuz you've already decided that other ways of helping people are WRONG that makes you haughty and judgmental. You fail to see that TWO people are helped when used curriculum is resold: the seller AND the recipient. Not to mention, and melissel pointed out, you are still undermining homeschool businesses when you give away their products. at least, based on how you perceive "helping homeschool businesses" anyway. Others have shared how homeschool businesses can be helped by the wider dissemination of their products.

feel free to clarify your remarks, but i think you were clear enough for most of us.

But really, isn't it so much nicer for everyone to try to be kind and charitable rather than trying to blame others or absolve oneself of any wrongdoing? A little grace can go a long way, especially on the internet.

Ria

meh-- there's a difference between someone extending grace over a possible misunderstood flub and pointing out that someone is being an arrogant a$$.

blame others = chintzy

absolve oneself= donate

yup. Got it.

It isn't the pricepoint that makes one reasonable for me and the other not, it the work that I am saved.

This is totally how my dh sees things. It's funny, because it's the opposite of how my mom sees things. My mom pinches pennies 'til they scream. For her, it's all about saving money, even if it costs her more time.

no kidding! this warrants a big ol' DUH. maybe asta would like to clarify? chintzy?

nothing like pointing out the obvious, eh? LOL!

no, it's cuz you've already decided that other ways of helping people are WRONG that makes you haughty and judgmental. You fail to see that TWO people are helped when used curriculum is resold: the seller AND the recipient. Not to mention, and melissel pointed out, you are still undermining homeschool businesses when you give away their products. at least, based on how you perceive "helping homeschool businesses" anyway. Others have shared how homeschool businesses can be helped by the wider dissemination of their products.

feel free to clarify your remarks, but i think you were clear enough for most of us.

And frankly, I rarely find that buying used is so much cheaper after one factors in shipping.

Now we're talking Amazon Marketplace. They charge $2.99 or $3.99 shipping for every single book, no matter how many you order even from the same seller.

It's only worth it for a great deal on a pricier book.

So any suggestions on how to make a World History curriculum consumable? All I've got is (really rockin' :D) maps and notebooking pages. Good enough?

Yes. I worry about it. Really worry. That's why I am reading through all of this.

Make your curriculum undo able with out your notebooking pages!!! Put needed info on the NBing pages, put some directions in your NBing pages. Make the notebooking pages more valuable to the consumer than the teachers guide!!!! Sell the teachers guide cheaper than the NBing pages. Make sure that your teachers guide says thing like "refer to the notes in NBing pages __" and/or "read the info on NBing page __". Make it when the teacher reads the teachers guide they say to themselves "I can't do this without the NBing pages. I'm going to have to buy them.". That would be my suggestion. People want the think they are getting a value or something free. If they buy the teachers guide for half price used, physiologically, they think they are getting a deal at only having to buy the NBing pages' new!!

What do you think?

Many HS curriculum developers have the idea that they are making a product to "help" families. You can't have that attitude. You have to realize you are a business out to make money with an awesome product. I think TOG initially wanted to "help" people! you just can't have that type of marketing attitude unless you give away your product for free.

But...You have to make your potential customers "think" you are helping them! Which your are, just not at your expense, but theirs.

With all the used curriculum sales going on (there are even sale/swap boards here!), you're surprised that when someone is considering whether they can afford a $400 curriculum, it crosses their mind that, when they're done with it, they can sell it for maybe $200? And that knowing it has some resale value, that goes into their purchase decision? I'm kind of surprised that that surprises you, LOL.

Wendi

Yes, it does surprise me. Keep in mind, though, that I have six children. If I bought something, it was usually for the older kids and I expected to use it again and again for years. So since it never occurred to me to consider resale value when purchasing, I just never thought about anyone else doing it. Myopic, I guess, but that's the way it was. My eyes have been opened, though, and I do see how this could be a consideration for others.

This is a fascinating thread. By the way, did anyone get the new copy of the Timberdoodle catalog? They've changed some things, and I'm wondering if times are getting tough for them as well.

Ria

I was really hoping the DE price would be a lot lower, given the licensing issue. It's certainly no bargain to spend that much money on something only you can use, kwim?

okay here's my big huge peeve with licensing.

TWICE in the last 4 months I've had to REBUY software materials!

Why?

because the license only let's you register a download ONE time.

so if you get a new computer - gotta buy it again to get it on the new computer

if your computer crashes and gets wipes to unholy heck? - gotta buy it again to get it back ont eh repaired computer.

oh yeah there were not nice words being utterred during that process...:glare:

.... At least if I buy through a place such as Amazon, they back the sale if something goes wrong. I did once have a problem and after unsuccessfully dealing with it through the seller, Amazon refunded my money in full. That is worth the extra money to me.

Have to agree with you again here. Amazon had to deal with a seller for me recently. I just wish they didn't charge the same shipping for all used books in an order.

For books over say $25, I'll do it if the price is right. Under that I don't, especially since the shipping you're paying for is media mail.

What is kind of sad about Amazon lately is that I think they have really jacked their prices up. Every time I buy a book I search high and low for the best price. Before, almost in every single case, the book was cheaper on Amazon (assuming I spent at least $25 to get the free shipping which is no problem for me). Not anymore. I have found better deals from the most unusual sellers (small mom and pop sellers).

I have been driving myself batty trying to find 4 books of equal price to get the full benefit of 4 for 3 promos at Amazon. Then I figured, Why am I doing this? Amazon charges full retail for the books in that promotion. 4 for 3 means 25% off, which I can get elsewhere with no minimum.

Make your curriculum undo able with out your notebooking pages!!! Put needed info on the NBing pages, put some directions in your NBing pages. Make the notebooking pages more valuable to the consumer than the teachers guide!!!! Sell the teachers guide cheaper than the NBing pages. Make sure that your teachers guide says thing like "refer to the notes in NBing pages __" and/or "read the info on NBing page __". Make it when the teacher reads the teachers guide they say to themselves "I can't do this without the NBing pages. I'm going to have to buy them.". That would be my suggestion. People want the think they are getting a value or something free. If they buy the teachers guide for half price used, physiologically, they think they are getting a deal at only having to buy the NBing pages' new!!

What do you think?

Awesome! Thanks. I have a little bit of that with timelines already. I will be sure that I don't duplicate the information in the TM.

• 1 month later...

The thought of selling my materials "for profit" :lol::lol::lol:

Generally speaking, buying used means about 50% from retail (Rainbow Resource retail). Figure shipping, boxing, postage (all have increased in price over the past 2 years), deducting wear and tear and you end up profiting about 25% from the original purchase. I actually profited $0.46 this week on something. The joy there comes from providing a family with quality materials, who otherwise may have gone without.

It's not like I get to keep the money!:confused: I know some do, but not me.

The money goes right back into the "School" fund and is usually used to buy someone else's used books so I can actually teach my children next year!

At the same time, if I know someone who has a need, and my shelves can help, I'm the first one to say, keep this, or borrow it, I'll need it back in 3 years.

Finally, I really do consider resale, especially for big ticket items. Of course, big ticket is very subjective.

OR, I consider the time invested (as mentioned before). TOG works for me b/c it saves me 4-6 hours PER WEEK! Yes, I was spending about 6-8 hours per week just planning out History for my lot! Talk about burn out. So, while I could LP everything myself, I choose to find a curriculum that will benefit the entire household as I can cook more, clean more, be nicer :001_smile:, and get proper sleep. Is TOG worth paying for....totally! Was I glad to pick it up used and save $75 -- you betcha! Will I sell it again when I'm finished -- yup! If I can, anyways. I plan on using it with 5 kids for 4 cycles. By that time it may be too old to sell, but the decade+ of usage would make it worthwhile to buy and never sell. I simply couldn't spend a small $50 on something I will use once and then let it collect dust. Just not in me to do that. Certainly not in the budget.

One final example. I switched to MUS (actually added, not switched). There is no way I would have paid the $400 last year to get everything for everybody had I not been confident I could recoup some of that money. For my family, $400 is a lot of money. If it was a use once, toss out...for $400 -- NO WAY!

I'm a terrible mincer too...my $1 as presented :)

On the original topic: It will take 70 new sells of both pieces of my curriculum for me to make approximately $8 per hour. That does not count any expenses coming out of that money (book purchases, trips for books, website and other advertising needs like software). I am hoping it is worth it. It is rewarding in other ways, but meeting deadlines can put the family under stress. So yes, it is difficult if people actually like the curriculum, but with reselling of the TM, 50 people could use it with the author getting paid only 25 times.

I totally understand considering resell value when purchasing, however. I do.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I think they would great expand their market if they would divide it up by levels. My kids are 5th and 6th grade. I don't need lower grammar level, and I'm far enough away from rhetoric that I don't really need that, either. If they could make it more affordable for me, I would definitely use it.

As far as reselling - if you no longer have a need for it, why should you keep it?? I don't have most of the kid's picture books from when they were little. I kept a few favorites and got rid of the rest. I've also gotten rid of clothes that don't fit and movies and DVDs we no longer watch. I could go on.

I buy curriculum knowing that eventually my kids will no longer need it. Why would I not think about how I will eventually get rid of it?

:iagree:

You are dead on Rhonda. I love the idea of TOG, but it is cost prohibitive. We have had to experiment with different curriculums to find what worked for us. TOG was not one I felt comfortable experimenting with because of the cost. Sonlight, on the other hand, has that FABULOUS return policy. I think that's why their business picked up.

As for selling used curriculum, I do buy certain curriculum with resale in mind. I am more willing to buy something like IEW because I know I can resell it later if it doesn't work. It's not that I'm looking to make money, it's a risk factor that makes it safer to buy.