Menu

What curriculum have you loved but your children didn't respond to?

As I'm sitting here thinking about all the curriculum we've ever tried, I feel regrets for some that I really liked and wanted to use with my children. Unfortunately, not all curriculum is suited for all children. We all know this I think.

Sonlight

RightStart Math

History and Literature Pockets

Powerglide Spanish

Latin for Children

I'm sure there are others but these are the first to come to mind.

I wouldn't say that literature-based history *bombed* exactly, but after a few years of Sonlight and a year of TruthQuest, my dd confessed to me that she really didn't want to do lit-based anymore for history, that she felt she didn't learn well that way, and that she wanted something more textbooky with questions to answer after each chapter, tests, etc.

I had hoped to use TQ and literature for the rest of her high school years, but she did Notgrass American this year and she was right - she liked it better, she retained it better, and it was the perfect fit for her.

I will say that after 3 years of Sonlight, she begged not to use it anymore. "Sonlight kid" but when we looked at sampels online an

I was going to post a L-O-N-G list, but then I realized that my ds's favorite statement would probably cover most of it...

"I hate school!" :glare:

So...

Having previously ditched Calvert School, Sonlight, WinterPromise, Weaver, Switched on Schoolhouse, and lots of different unit studies. we are now in the process of moving away from our BJU DVDs into Oak Meadow. I also just bought year 1 of the redesigned Tapestry of Grace curriculum to see if that might work for us.

Don't even get me started on math and spelling programs... and writing programs...

Honestly, there aren't too many curriculum choices out there that we haven't tried, and it has been very difficult to find a good fit, because while ds is more than able to do the work, he's difficult to motivate.

That said, ds recently announced that he now likes the previously-dreaded "read-aloud time," so I might be able to finally get some use out of those Sonlight and WP books after all...

Cat

Math-U-See - made my older girls use it for 2 years many moons ago. I loved it and they both hated it. I tried again with my younger 2 for a year a few years ago- they also hated it!

Lapbooks - they were bored and annoyed. History Pockets fit here as well. I though they would be fun :glare:

Read Alouds - as a part of school, that is. They all still enjoyed a good read aloud so long as it wasn't school related! As soon as they could read on their own they wanted to do their own reading and felt that it was a waste of time to wait for me to read.

Apologia - General and Physical - too wordy and chatty. We are using Botany this year and my 8 and 10yos feel the same way!

Honestly, there aren't too many curriculum choices out there that we haven't tried, and it has been very difficult to find a good fit, because while ds is more than able to do the work, he's difficult to motivate. Cat

I hear ya! I kept looking for the perfect fit too, even though lots of wise women here told me it was impossible. After 7 years, my kids begged to go back to K12 and my DH decided it was going to be THE curriculum through middle school and National Keystone for high school. I'm not allowed to curriculum hunt anymore, per DH *and* the kids. Hmph! I knew it was bad when my dd11 told me that she loved me and knew I loved curriculum but she was tired of the hopping around and wanted to settle on just one thing. :001_huh:

Curriculum? I now back away... slowly... but with a longing in my eyes. :lol:

Lapbooks - they were bored and annoyed. History Pockets fit here as well. I though they would be fun :glare:

Read Alouds - as a part of school, that is. They all still enjoyed a good read aloud so long as it wasn't school related! As soon as they could read on their own they wanted to do their own reading and felt that it was a waste of time to wait for me to read.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. Anything "crafty" and my ds's especially were whining in two minutes flat. They are just the learn it and move on type.

I always pictured home education as a certain way. We would sit around doing crafts and hands-on projects, then snuggle for some read-alouds and finish the day with some snuggles and kiddos saying what a wonderful family we have.

Not. As soon as my dc's have become independent readers, they have liked reading themselves. They also just want to learn evidently and not create. Oh well, all things don't work out the way we wish.:tongue_smilie:

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone.

Lapbooking, notebooking, creating timelines -- at best, politely tolerated.

Sonlight, Truthquest -- one look at the stack of books and dd was begging for a textbook

Alpha Omega lifepacs -- although dd LOVES workbooks

CLE lightunits -- again, dd LOVES workbooks -- but NOT THESE, lol

We would sit around doing crafts and hands-on projects, then snuggle for some read-alouds and finish the day with some snuggles and kiddos saying what a wonderful family we have.

I was hoping for that, too. Oh well, at least I had my dreams... and they were such happy dreams...

They were a far cry from, "Do we HAVE to do school today?" :glare:

Cat

R&S Grammar

Fortunately, I figured this out ahead of time and didn't have to find out the hard way. Although I LOVE R&S Grammar, I knew my butterfly, creative, distracted, pencil-phobic, social daughter would HATE the cramped type, lack of white space, need to copy exercises out, etc. I knew it would make her hate grammar. So I sucked it up and went with colorful, lots of white space, worktext ABeka, which she really liked. I even hated going to that behemoth ABeka booth to order it. Blech.

Now we use CW and that whole problem has gone away. No more having to fill out that booklet of an order form at the ABeka booth. Hooray!

I always pictured home education as a certain way. We would sit around doing crafts and hands-on projects, then snuggle for some read-alouds and finish the day with some snuggles and kiddos saying what a wonderful family we have.

Not.

Oh this made my day! Too funny and true! I grinned from ear to ear when I read that. I think we all have that same idea in our head! It's those curriculum catalogs to blame I think. They always picture the kids on the sofa all snuggled up to mom while she has a book in her hand and is reading to them while they all look up at her in rapt attention with eager smiles on their faces. hehehehe I was reading to my daughter the other day one of the books required for our language arts curriculum and I hear a noise and look up and she's there asleep and snoring. hehehehe :D

For me it would have to be Sonlight. I loved the idea of reading all those wonderful books, but after one year I realized, this just ain't happenin in this house. hehe ;)

My daughter absolutely HATED Saxon and begged me to switch to something else. We're doing Singapore now. She still doesn't like math, but at least she has less problems to work now. ;) :D

Edited by Ibbygirl

DS hates any and all hands-on activities. Science, art, lapbooks, math manipulatives, you name it, if it's hands-on, he wants no part of it. Can't tell you how much money I have wasted over the years.

Despite knowing this, I'm STILL contemplating buying a science experiment kit. I keep telling myself that somehow things will be different this time..... :tongue_smilie:

Michelle T

I am lucky enough to be able to say that, with my two younger kids, the "snuggle on the couch, soft-focus homeschool love-fest" does kinda describe what we do. We spend most of our school day on the couch and the kids regularly tell me that they love homeschooling and never, ever want to go to school (not even college ... they want to be homecolleged ... I told them no way!).

However, before y'all throw tomatoes at me, let me just say that my experience with my oldest child, who is 14, was a complete nightmare. She and I butted heads on everything, she hated homeschooling, she hated being read to, she hated any kind of mental exertion, and I think that for a good part of our homeschooling adventure, she hated me! She is now in public school and she LOVES it, she thrives there, and the competition factor really keeps her motivated. She is one of the two top students in her grade (the other is one of her best friends) and being in school has been very beneficial for her. I am still anti-school, and I still wish I didn't have a kid in school, but for my dd, school works. She's getting ready to enter an early-college academy for high school, with the opportunity to graduate high school with an associate's degree. For a kid with multiple learning disabilities, I think this is pretty fantastic.

That said, the main curriculum that I thought we would love that we both ended up hating was Singapore Math. I never saw a cross word about Singapore when I researched it, so I was very hopeful, but I found it to be ... weird ... and too fast-paced, with not enough review and really short explanations. If you didn't get the explanation and the one example problem, too bad for you. My dd did 1A-2B (I think) and she learned nothing. What a nightmare.

With my younger kids, I use RightStart Math and we LOVE it.

I guess this is not at all what the OP asked for. Sorry. :001_huh:

Tara

It's those curriculum catalogs to blame I think. They always picture the kids on the sofa all snuggled up to mom while she has a book in her hand and is reading to them while they all look up at her in rapt attention with eager smiles on their faces.

:iagree:

Most of those photos are so obviously staged, but when we're looking for new curriculum, it's so easy to picture ourselves in their places. I wonder how many of the Sonlight families are really that ecstatic every day... and how many of them had to scream at the kids to, "Sit down and be still while Daddy takes the picture of us reading together! NOW!!! I'M NOT KIDDING! SIT DOWN NOW! LOOK HAPPY!!! NOW!!! Do you want your pictures in the catalog or what??? Are you listening to me??? SIT DOWN!!!" ;)

I was reading to my daughter the other day one of the books required for our language arts curriculum and I hear a noise and look up and she's there asleep and snoring. hehehehe :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cat

:iagree:

Most of those photos are so obviously staged, but when we're looking for new curriculum, it's so easy to picture ourselves in their places. I wonder how many of the Sonlight families are really that ecstatic every day... and how many of them had to scream at the kids to, "Sit down and be still while Daddy takes the picture of us reading together! NOW!!! I'M NOT KIDDING! SIT DOWN NOW! LOOK HAPPY!!! NOW!!! Do you want your pictures in the catalog or what??? Are you listening to me??? SIT DOWN!!!" ;)

Cat

LOOOOL too funny. I know, those catalogues make me feel like a horrible mother because I do lose it with my daughter when she's whining and complaining and saying how much she hates math or that school is boring. I keep wanting to tell her, "but your a homeschooler!! You're supposed to be loving this!" hehehehe :D

LOOOOL too funny. I know, those catalogues make me feel like a horrible mother because I do lose it with my daughter when she's whining and complaining and saying how much she hates math or that school is boring. I keep wanting to tell her, "but your a homeschooler!! You're supposed to be loving this!" hehehehe :D

Welcome to my world... ;)

Cat

Hmmm. Well, there hasn't been much that I could say I *loved* and the kids *didn't respond to*... the things like that have been more that I loved something and they just kinda, liked it. Or I kinda liked it and they hated it. :lol:

Ha - the idea of Sonlight.. oh I'd have been so happy learning through literature as a child... I wouldn't even consider that for ours - it's not really possible for ds10, but even with dd12 it would crash badly. The kid really isn't into reading - unless it's something she's terribly interested in, which is the odd non-fiction book and the Cat Warriors stuff. (And even the CW, she prefers in the manga style ;) )...she's capable of reading, she just doesn't really enjoy it much.

hehe - are homeschoolers even allowed to admit that their kids don't really like to read for fun? :tongue_smilie:

Notebooking really bombed with ds. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it would until after I had spent 2 months making a real cool notebook to go with my custom made US history plans.

Trail Guide to World Geography -

Mystery of History - I really wanted to like this but hated doing any of the timeline activities. I finally gave up and bought a pre-made timeline.

Abeka Math 4 - not that I loved it but it was sheer torture for him. We switched after 2 weeks. We got an Abeka flyer in the mail today and he said "Why would anyone want to do that." :lol:

Notebooking really bombed with ds. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it would until after I had spent 2 months making a real cool notebook to go with my custom made US history plans.

Oh that stinks!! I hate it when something like that happens. When you spend alot of time and/or money on a curriculum only to have it tank. Man, I hate that! Then you just keep trying to salvage some part of it to try to make it work to justify the purchase to yourself until you ultimately have to abandon it. Sniff. I feel your pain. :grouphug:

I truly think the realistic photo might be the kid who has fallen asleep with the Landmark History of the American People (I'm told it's dull...). :D

I have that book, and if you'd like, I'll make my ds read a few chapters and take the picture when he dozes off. It shouldn't take long... ;)

Cat

and how many of them had to scream at the kids to, "Sit down and be still while Daddy takes the picture of us reading together! NOW!!! I'M NOT KIDDING! SIT DOWN NOW! LOOK HAPPY!!! NOW!!! Do you want your pictures in the catalog or what??? Are you listening to me??? SIT DOWN!!!" ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cat

ROTFL. This is so me. That and the fact that during read-alouds, I'M the one falling asleep.

...those are very seductive philosophies for me. Unschooling would have worked superbly for me when I was a kid (except for memorization), and the whole 'create a learning environment' idea would have worked, too. But no, I had to do WORKSHEETS! for YEARS!

So I was going to save my poor DD from all that, and guess what. Given a learning environment, she generally doesn't choose to be curious and figure things out. She likes to be TOLD things. And she definitely would not have learned to read or do math without pressure from somewhere.

So we did a WTM-ish approach instead, and it has worked out very well.

Lapbooking - they always get tired of it, but mom just drools over the beautiful lapbooks that moms show off on their blogs. Me, I just get workbook pages. :glare:

Classical Writing - I love the whole idea, not so my daughter.

Spanish for Children

Saxon

Oh, remember when Understanding Writing was all the rage. Cost me like $60+ back then. They hated it.

I should just go check the boxes stacked in the shed. But then again, I might start crying.

Janet

I truly think the realistic photo might be the kid who has fallen asleep with the Landmark History of the American People (I'm told it's dull...). :D

Its not dull at all. Its wonderful. I think the people who run it down generally have children who don't respond to sitting and listening. That's not the book's issue.

I started with SL and my kids happily listen to all of it being read to them. And Im so so glad because I love it. Now, the day my kids beg me to "buy Sonlight, Mommy" like the catalogue suggests their students do will be the day I eat my hat. My kids like books. They dont know anything about "Sonlight" per se.

I dont really care if my kids "hate" something. One of my kids hates everything he is told to do and you know, that's his choice. But Im not switching gears just because he doesnt "like" something.

Things that didnt really work for us: Sequential Spelling, Key To Fractions series, and SL LA and Science.

Its not dull at all. Its wonderful. I think the people who run it down generally have children who don't respond to sitting and listening. That's not the book's issue.

I bought the book quite some time ago, but we haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on whether or not it's dull. I was just joking around about taking a picture of my ds with it. :)

Cat

Its not dull at all. Its wonderful.

I don't actually have the book. I said I was told it was dull because of the (mixed) reviews at Sonlight's own website.

It does look perfect for about 5th/6th grade up. I did notice many of the people commenting positively on it had older students.

I am planning Core 3 this coming up year with a young 4th grader. She'll just turn nine when we start. She has no problem listening to read-alouds (*loves* A Child's History of the World).

For history this coming year, I'd like her little brother (who will be not quite six) to be able to listen in so I chose this as our reader:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Book-American-History/dp/0965273547/ref=pd_sim_b_1

In case it's *too* simplified, I also picked up one by the same author for older kids (A History of the United States and it's People).

Curriculum? I now back away... slowly... but with a longing in my eyes. :lol:

Beth,

Me too! I think we could be twins. :D How do you get through the curriculum withdrawls? I still love to look at catalogs, and browse the curriculum threads. I'm pitiful!

My kids are doing great with K12, though. My oldest dd (10), who HATES to write has written a beautiful 5 paragraph essay comparing and contrasting "trickster" characters from her literature reading. Her VA teacher gave her an A+ (so did mom & dad). She also wrote a really wonderful poem, spontaneously! I'm so excited to see what the years will bring using K12. I'm hoping the curriculum withdrawls will slow down too. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and BTW we've used the following curriculum over the years:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/

Landmark Baptist

Christian Liberty Press

Sonlight

Mish/mash of WTM pics/Ambleside pics/My own pics

Edited by JenniferB

Montessori, if you can believe that. I meant to use Montessori in our homeschool, but DS absolutely refused to participate. I have no idea why. He transitioned fairly happily into a "boxed" curriculum, which we have used for five years now. Go figure.

It's a beautiful sunny day. We pull out the blanket to read in the sunshine because we're homeschoolers, we can do school anywhere, right? Until I find myself yelling because they WILL NOT stop fighting over who sits where on the blanket, after I've already begun to read. :rolleyes: So much for our soft-focus moment, lol.

It's a beautiful sunny day. We pull out the blanket to read in the sunshine because we're homeschoolers, we can do school anywhere, right? Until I find myself yelling because they WILL NOT stop fighting over who sits where on the blanket, after I've already begun to read. :rolleyes: So much for our soft-focus moment, lol.

hehehehe Oh Lord have mercy I could never do school outside. When my son was going to therapy all the time I would try to do school with my daughter while we were waiting. They had a nice play area that was fenced off and had a picnic table. I thought to myself, "perfect! We can do school and then she can play on the playground afterwards. The playground will be the perfect motivator for her to focus."

NOT. She would be so distracted by the wind blowing her paper or the pages of her book, or the passing by of a car, or a bird in the trees or a butterfly passing by or heaven forbid a bee or a wasp came near. Nope. Homeschooling outside didn't work too well for us. hehehe

We wound up with her playing on the playground the entire time that my son was in therapy and my telling myself, "okay, she can have P.E. now and we can do some book work later on." hehehe ;) :D

Beth,

Me too! I think we could be twins. :D How do you get through the curriculum withdrawls? I still love to look at catalogs, and browse the curriculum threads.

Oh my, it takes a great deal of time! :lol::lol: Truly, I've had to find other things to occupy me. And, I've told my DH that sometimes I may add a little something to the kids days if I feel it's something really beneficial to their education. My main focus right now is finding interesting literature to give to the kids for free reading. I offer to talk about it if they want, but I don't assign anything schoolish to the books. My ds12 just finished reading The Martian Chronicles for his K12 literature novel choice and he said it was the best book he's ever read. Wow! That's a high praise indeed from him. So I am going to give him Farenheit 451 next to see what he thinks. :)

I do still look at catalogs and visit the curriculum board, but I try to do it from a different point of view now. And if I come across something that I want to buy, I try to imagine how it would fit into our day. So far, everything I've wanted to buy is really something already being covered by K12 so it would just be too redundant and I had little problem dropping the idea.

Now, I'll confess I've been feeling an urgent need to go to my local homeschool store to browse the used section. Aieee!!! I've been fighting this urge for 2 weeks now and still want to go! If I do go, I might take a small amount of cash with me and promise myself that's the ONLY money I can spend there. :)

Montessori, if you can believe that. I meant to use Montessori in our homeschool, but DS absolutely refused to participate. I have no idea why. He transitioned fairly happily into a "boxed" curriculum, which we have used for five years now. Go figure.

Yes I believe it. I lived it too. When my kids were 3 and 5, I went all out with Montessori materials because I absolutely LOVE the philosophy. I made many materials following patterns and suggestions from a yahoo Montessori homeschool group. I spent hours making the colored bead bars, the individual bead groups on a thin wire from 1 to 9. I had geography cards and place value cards and other stuff I can't recall exactly. My kids had no interest, but instead loved Calvert School (at the time).

Just earlier this week, I sent an inquiry to a Montessori training school asking about their program. I would love to be a Montessori teacher!

- Sonlight. :( My dc love being read to, but this was just. way. too. much.

- LLATL. I loved the literature approach, but my dd couldn't stand it.

- History Pockets. Great idea, not so much for my kids.

I'm sure there's more, this is just off the top of my head. ;)

Edited by Sheila in OK
typos

Different things work with different children. The year I did mostly BJUP (3rd grade for oldest dd) she absolutely hated the science and spelling. Now my youngest is asking to use textbooks next year so that's what she'll use. And I'll adapt even though it may not be my idea of a whole lot of fun. I love Sonlight. My children don't but they tolerate it.Like most of my curriculum choices. LOF is the only curriculum that oldest dd has ever been enthusiastic about.