Menu

What are your favorite/most helpful parenting books?

Here are my favs from a long-ago thread:

My favs:

The Discipline Book by William and Marth Sears

The Sears' gave me so much more confidence in my ability to parent through connection and relationship. They allowed me to see that non-punitive, non-corporal punishment did not have to mean out of control brats. but could result in loving, well-behaved children. Their experience with a wide range of ages spoke to me. The fact that their adult children are so accomplished and speak so highly of their parents was the proof that I needed. When Bill shared that doctors do not learn parenting and childcare in medical school, I felt so much more confident to ditch the baloney that my then pediatrician was feeding me. I also like their Christian parenting book because it helped me feel more confident that my way of parenting was NOT unbiblical, in opposition to what I was hearing from some very judgemental "friends."

Loving Your Child is not Enough: Positive Discipline that Works - Nancy Samalin

Gave me tools and actions to use with my kids to keep from falling into the yell, scream, spank mode that I was raised with. Very sensible approach.

How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk - Faber and Mazlish

Opened my eyes to using language to effectively communicate with my kids and to understand where they were coming from. Gave me words and tools to be an effective parent and reduce my frustration. This one is an oldie, but goodie and I try to re-read it every couple of years.

Siblings Without Rivalry - Faber and Mazlish

Boy howdie, do I wish my mother had read this. I think my siblings would be much closer if my folks had understood what effect their parenting had on the relationships between children. I learned so much about how to foster good relationships and how to avoid the traps that create rivalry.

Kids Are Worth It: Giving the Gift of Inner Discipline - Barbara Coloroso

I just LOVE this book. Her philosophy makes sense. Not so much a method book, but a parenting philosophy book. But - lots of examples that helped me come up with my own tools. Another book worth re-reading time and again.

Mothering and Fathering - Tina Thevelin

I have not actually read this book, but I heard the author speak on this topic. She addressed the roles that parents play and how both are valuable. Children need the nurturer who kisses boo boos and teaches caution, but children also need the encourager to push children beyond their perceived limitations. I realized that I was treating my husband's parenting as wrong rather than a healthy counterpoint to mine.

Raising Your Spirited Child was a life-saver for me and my 2nd son who was terribly high need. It helped me eliminate some of the battles we were having and I learned ways around it and how to conciously love this child that I often wanted to toss out the window.

Two others I have fallen in love with are

Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peer

Parenting with Love and Logic

Hope this helps.

I am reading Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn right now, and so far it has been nothing less than life changing!

I haven't read that one, but since his books have been very influential to me I will have to look it up.

I also read What Does It Mean to Be Well Educated and The Homework Myth. Most people I tell about his books have never heard of him.

Gentle Measures in the Management and Training of the Young, by Jacob Abbott. I like anything written by him, author in the 1800's. Other titles include: Training Children in Godliness and The Mother at Home.

http://books.google.com/books?id=o-Y3Uuf3niYC&dq=gentle+measures+jacob+abbott&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=K48k0t_j6v&sig=PQsWRcD-m8poLTj_lBzfq_ZzGNo&hl=en&ei=gqDkSY3CH96Mtgfp37WtDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

by Neufeld and Mate. It is not a "manual" so mcuh as it is a treatise on why childrearing is so difficult in modern day America and what you can do to change that for your own family. He does not endorse any method of education but mentions homeschooling in a positive light, if that matters.

This book changed my life.

Thanks, :)

Sharon- Do you mind if it's a Christian book? Reb Bradley's Child Training Tips turned our house around. And Lisa Whelchel (I know, I know, Blair from the Facts of Life:D) wrote a book called Creative Correction that is great at offering crime fitting punishments and rewards. They are both pretty heavy on scripture.

Good luck!:001_smile:

Little House on the Prairie

Francis Books

Swiss Family Robinson

Shakespeare

Curious George

...actually any classic work of fiction depicting relationships. I like to see parenting in action through stories. I have one especially difficult child and one especially sweet child...hence the names Kate and Bianca....but I have read and applied many helping books and would now gladly burn them all. Authors write for a reason and I look for that now as I read to my children the classics and other such books. The girls see the books through the eyes of children and I see them through the eyes of a parent. We are all looking for different things in what we read.

Examples:

Swiss Family Robinson...Kate sees adventure and wants to try every experiment, Bianca sees relationships and loves the bonding, and I see parenthood in action and lots of hard work ethics, try and try again, never give up.

Francis books...children figuring out conflicts, parents give guidance.

Little House...a devoted wife, even if she privately doesn't agree with her dh; childhood conflicts with parental guidance...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, hard word ethics.

Shakespeare...I am somewhat new to him, but it doesn't appear that he misses much in his evaluation of the human persona. We like him.

Curious George...mischievous children are what they are...always keep an eye on them. Don't get mad when you leave them unattended...they do what children do without understanding adult values yet.

The list goes on.....

Thanks everyone, I have already reserved a few of these online through the library so thank you for the great suggestions!

Sharon- Do you mind if it's a Christian book? Reb Bradley's Child Training Tips turned our house around. And Lisa Whelchel (I know, I know, Blair from the Facts of Life:D) wrote a book called Creative Correction that is great at offering crime fitting punishments and rewards. They are both pretty heavy on scripture.

Good luck!:001_smile:

No I don't mind if it's Christian, I'm just looking for effective. :)

Little House on the Prairie

Francis Books

Swiss Family Robinson

Shakespeare

Curious George

...actually any classic work of fiction depicting relationships. I like to see parenting in action through stories. I have one especially difficult child and one especially sweet child...hence the names Kate and Bianca....but I have read and applied many helping books and would now gladly burn them all. Authors write for a reason and I look for that now as I read to my children the classics and other such books. The girls see the books through the eyes of children and I see them through the eyes of a parent. We are all looking for different things in what we read.

What an interesting approach! While the parenting books I have read have helped me for a philosophy of parenting and some tools to use, I, too, glean much from classic fiction. We learned so much from our study of the Little House books loosely using the Prairie Primer. I like to point out good character in books or characters who develop admirable traits.

Now you have me excited to study Shakespeare again:).

Honestly, I tend to steer clear of parenting books. The few I tried to read focused primarily on how to change the behavior or attitude of someone else (the child), and just seemed more like training manuals than truly helpful books on how to navigate a challenging relationship (parent) and season of life. Maybe the general tone has since changed, or maybe I just picked a bad batch .. I don't know .. I just know they rubbed me the wrong way, and I committed to not going down that road.

That said, the two books that really spoke to me as a parent are THIS one and THIS one, both of which I found at a thrift store. Best $1.00 I have ever spent. What I liked best about both of these books is that the focus was on ME (not the child) and how I could examine and change my own behaviors and attitudes in navigating the waters of motherhood. Don't be turned off by the titles; the content will speak to ALL mothers from ALL backgrounds.

Both books are light, easy reads ... good bathroom material, or any other time you have just 5-10 minutes to spare. Both are more philosophical than spiritual, and have really resonated with both my secular and my Christian friends (who overwhelmingly favor the second). I'm always loaning them out - good, good reads.

Strong-willed child or Dreamer has been the one book that has affected my parenting the most. The subtitle "understanding the crucial differences between a strong-willed child and a creative-sensitive child" say it all.

Shortly after reading it we tweaked our school routine and ds started responding so much better to school. In fact I think I need to re-read.

Honestly, I tend to steer clear of parenting books. The few I tried to read focused primarily on how to change the behavior or attitude of someone else (the child), and just seemed more like training manuals than truly helpful books on how to navigate a challenging relationship (parent) and season of life.

Many books are exactly that. One of the reasons I like "Raising Your Spirited Child" is that it's about UNDERSTANDING why your child does what s/he does. It's recognizing non-verbal signals your child gives to prevent unwanted behaviour and encourage desired behaviour, while respecting that children are people too.

Raising a Thinking Child and the John Rosemond's Six Point Plan on Raising Happy, etc.

I think John R. would get old very quickly (I read two books, got the message, and didn't want to sour my take by getting hit over the head with more books, or more reactionary books) if over done, and I wish he'd include the word "Please" from the parents (he expects obedience, but I never saw one solitary please from the parents). But indeed, I like the idea of managing by hanging around and also letting the child bear the consequences of their disobedience. Also, the two books I read were for the general public, and I haven't read a word of his spiritual stuff.

Raising a Thinking Child give ME something to do when I'd like to raise my voice. Could also be called Prompting the Parent to Think.

I've said it many times - if you can only ever have ONE parenting book, Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka is the one to get.

I agree with this too.

My other favorites are:

Parenting with Grace by Gregory and Lisa Popcak

This is a Catholic book, but most of the book could be used by any Chirstian.

The Fussy Baby Book by the Sears

This book describes my ds to a T. The thing I liked best about reading this book is that I knew I was not alone and that I could successfully parent my son.

The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell

You overwhelmed yet?? :lol:

I love Don't Make Me Count to Three: A Mom's Look at Heart-Oriented Discipline by Ginger Plowman. It takes the principals from Shepherding Your Child's Heart (I have a love-hate relationship with SYCH; I tend to become quite legalistic when I dwell on this book...but I know in my heart it is a Biblical way to child-rear...I guess it's my problem, huh!?) and gives practical day to day application. She also has written a handy chart (like a small calendar) called Wise Words for Moms. The reviews on Amazon are evenly split between 5 stars and 1 star! Ha! People either love it or hate it, as it is strictly from a Biblical perspective. For a wrong action, she provides a "correction" Bible verse, an "encouragment" verse and heart-probing questions. Some of the wrong actions include lying, whining, selfishness, etc.

I also have several friends who have read and LOVE Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining and Bad Attitudes...in You and Your Kids by Scott Turansky. It is an "honor-based" parenting philosophy.

Well, I have read some parenting books here and there, but I usually get more out of articles, or books that are not specifically geared towards parenting, but talk more about principles, and morals, etc.

The most recent book, I guess you could consider that falls under parenting category is "Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion". It isn't so much a "how to" book as it is a collection of excellent essays from secular parenting experiences, etc. I don't agree with everything in the book, but over all it has been a good read.

Other books I have found helpful is "Six Pillars of Self Esteem" .It is not a parenting book, but is very good about explaining what self esteem really is, and has a good bit on how to help your child develop good self esteem. (While the first book above is target towards the atheist/agnostic parent, Six Pillars is a book I think anyone one - religious or not - would get a lot out of.)

Gentle Measures in the Management and Training of the Young, by Jacob Abbott. I like anything written by him, author in the 1800's. Other titles include: Training Children in Godliness and The Mother at Home.

http://books.google.com/books?id=o-Y3Uuf3niYC&dq=gentle+measures+jacob+abbott&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=K48k0t_j6v&sig=PQsWRcD-m8poLTj_lBzfq_ZzGNo&hl=en&ei=gqDkSY3CH96Mtgfp37WtDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

After your recommendation I searched for his book online because I was curious to see his perspective. Michigan State University has a copy that you can read online for free. You can read just the text, or you can see actual pages from a first edition of the book. http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/ssb/display.cfm?TitleID=556

I am enjoying this book so far. I like his writing style. He has such a beautiful way of saying things. Thanks for introducing me to this author. :)

And to the OP, I like Parenting on Purpose by Dr. Bob Barnes. This is actually a parenting course to be honest, but for someone wanting a book his book Who's in Charge Here has alot of the same info. His advice has helped me tremendously with my own children. :)