Menu

Intelligent romantic novels? The equivalent of Sayers' Gaudy Night?

I like to read a romance occasionally, but have high standards: the characters have to be intelligent human beings who think and articulate their thoughts. The writing needs to be literate and interesting.

Does anyone have an author or book to recommend? Modern, historical, or period are all fine.

Thank you

Laura

Well, it's hard to live up to Gaudy Night & Harriet and Peter.

"Placetne, magistra?"

.....swooon......

& I don't really think Gaudy Night is a romance, technically speaking. But I know what you mean :D

I think you might like Elizabeth Peters.

Her books are mysteries but with a hefty dose of romance. The Amelia Peabody books are the best known but I like her Vicky Bliss & Jacqueline Kirby books too.

She also writes under Barbara Michaels & those books tend to be 'gothic' romances.

The thing about Elizabeth Peters is that she has a PhD in Egyptology and is a very smart lady. I find that her intelligence is evident in all her books, no matter how light they may appear to be. They're also very funny.

Also, Laurie R King's series which starts with The Beekeeper's Apprentice & continues with A Monstrous Regiment of Women plus a bunch more..... Again, King is a scholar (theology in her case) and that really enriches her writings. Again mysteries but with romance - which is what I think is more in line with Gaudy Night.

Well, it's hard to live up to Gaudy Night & Harriet and Peter.

"Placetne, magistra?"

.....swooon......

& I don't really think Gaudy Night is a romance, technically speaking. But I know what you mean :D

Lord Peter fan club members please check in here! :lol: Swoon.

Have you read the most recent Sayers that was completed after her death? It was full of relationship depth. Thrones, Dominations....I think that is what it is called.

Jo

Ah, I love Busman's Honeymoon.

I hated the one they finished after her death ... I've read her theological stuff and she was a hopeful woman; I've read other things by Walsh (who finished her book) and she isn't a very hopeful woman ... the book came out depressing.

I love the Amelia Peabody mysteries too. Even my husband enjoyed the one we read aloud together.

Guest Katia

Also, Laurie R King's series which starts with The Beekeeper's Apprentice & continues with A Monstrous Regiment of Women plus a bunch more..... Again, King is a scholar (theology in her case) and that really enriches her writings. Again mysteries but with romance - which is what I think is more in line with Gaudy Night.

This is exactly what I was going to recommend. I LOVE the Mary Russell novels. King does an excellent job.

Also, books by Marcia Willett (a British writer) are good. A Week in Winter was one I remembered, although The Children's Hour struck me as well. These are sappy romance novels; just well written.

The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig was terrific. Not your ordinary romance.

The Marjorie McClelland Mysteries by Amy Patricia Meade are comical romances. The first is Million Dollar Baby and I laughed all the way through it. Good read for a good laugh.

These are my favs.

I also enjoy Elizabeth Peters, although some are better than others. The Amelia Peabody series is my favorite of hers. Also, Daphne duMaurier is another favorite. I had another one on my mind just a minute ago... Geez, how long do these senile moments go on???

Janet

Friends and Lovers by Helen MacInnes

Appleby's End by Michael Innes (Hope I've gotten right title - if not, it probably doesn't matter because the other mysteries are fun, too. I especially like Hamlet's Revenge.)

Neither of these is as romantic as Gaudy Night, but at least the characters are fairly intelligent.

-Nan

I like to read a romance occasionally, but have high standards: the characters have to be intelligent human beings who think and articulate their thoughts. The writing needs to be literate and interesting.

Does anyone have an author or book to recommend? Modern, historical, or period are all fine.

Thank you

Laura

The only romance-y book I think I've ever liked is 84 Charring Cross Road. Yes, it's a movie, too, but the book... so much better.

I was also going to say Elizabeth Peters. The Amelia Peabody books are great...especially the first few. They aren't high literature but they are fun and intelligent.

And someone else mentioned Laurie King and the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. They are also very good.

I would recommend The Harvester by Gene Stratton Porter. (Swoon, for sure!!)

If you don't mind some (or a lot) of theology mixed in with your romance, I highly recommend novels by George MacDonald, such as The Baronet's Song. C. S. Lewis often mentions George MacDonald as being an inspiration to his life. Here is a little bit about him from the Amazon page I linked:

"George MacDonald (1824-1905), Scottish poet, preacher, novelist, and mystic, was one of the most original and influential writers of Victorian Britain. His books have sold in the millions of copies, and he was one of the most popular authors of the day on both sides of the Atlantic.

Drawn to the pulpit early, MacDonald eventually left to pursue his writing. Numbered among Dickens, Trollope, and other giants of the age as a novelist, MacDonald ended his career with over fifty books ranging from fantastical literature, to children's stories, to critical essays, and numerous novels. In addition to writing, MacDonald lectured extensively.

MacDonald's fiction combined the man's immense spiritual understanding with his innate storytelling ability. His works have influenced writers like C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and many others."

Guest Virginia Dawn

Daphne DuMaurier is my favorite for old fashioned Gothic romance that isn't stupid. Some of Mary Stewart's books are very good- Airs Above the Ground is one I really enjoy. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness D'orczy is the beginning of a series that takes place during the French Revolution.

I don't normally read romances, so I can't compare the series I'm currently reading with other books.

I noticed a book club discussing the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon... highly rated at Amazon, so I gave it a try.

It's an interesting story and quite the romance!

Outlander Series

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Outlander books! My favorite series EVER!

And not to hijack this thread, but can someone elaborate on Gaudy Night? I've never heard of it.

Some of Mary Stewart's books are very good- Airs Above the Ground is one I really enjoy.

I enjoy Mary Stewart as well, but wasn't sure she'd be "smart" enough as I haven't read Sayers. I checked my first Sayers novel out of the library today (Whose Body?) at the rec of some other friends.

I haven't seen Airs Above the Ground before, I'll have to see if my library has it.

And not to hijack this thread, but can someone elaborate on Gaudy Night? I've never heard of it.

You should really read them in order: Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon.

One of the other characters describes the pair as 'two equally irritable intelligences' and says that a marriage between them would be disastrous because they have such a capacity to hurt each other. They come together through reason as well as passion. My kind of people, my kind of marriage.

Laura

I enjoy Mary Stewart as well, but wasn't sure she'd be "smart" enough as I haven't read Sayers. I checked my first Sayers novel out of the library today (Whose Body?) at the rec of some other friends.

I haven't seen Airs Above the Ground before, I'll have to see if my library has it.

But if you find it rather slight, don't give up on Sayers. For the beginning of the romantic story go for Strong Poison. Another magnificent read is The Nine Tailors.

I read Mary Stewart's romances as a teenager, but I should probably try her again - I just re-read The Crystal Cave to see if I should give it to Calvin.

Laura

You should really read them in order: Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon.

One of the other characters describes the pair as 'two equally irritable intelligences' and says that a marriage between them would be disastrous because they have such a capacity to hurt each other. They come together through reason as well as passion. My kind of people, my kind of marriage.

Laura

Thanks. I just requested Strong Poison from my library!

I would recommend The Harvester by Gene Stratton Porter. (Swoon, for sure!!)

You know, I own this book, but haven't yet read it. Never would I have thought it was romantic! I don't know why though, as GOTL was romantic in a sense, as was Laddie (kind of). I'll have to work on getting it read over the summer. It's one of my Dad's favorites -he's read it more than once in the last 3 years.

My first thought was Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles (the final book is the more romantic of the series, but the books have to be read in sequence - and, for me, there is a lot to skip/skim... but they are intelligent, incredibly well researched, and crammed full of literary references (so much so that there are companion volumes which try to reference as many of the quotes as possible).

As a Dunnet fan, I would second Eliana's recommendation with the caveat that these books are extraordinarily dense. The companion volumes to Dunnett's works are a necessity for me.

You may also enjoy the Scottish/English borderland setting to which Lymond regularly returns!

Jane

Lord Peter fan club members please check in here! :lol: Swoon.

Have you read the most recent Sayers that was completed after her death? It was full of relationship depth. Thrones, Dominations....I think that is what it is called.

Jo

Gaudy Night was the first Sayers book I read. I think that it is totally a romance. There are some great moments in Have His Carcasse too.

Thrones, Dominations is a nice book, although you can sort of see where the bits from Walsh are. I don't think you could make openly uncritical comments about Hitler's Germany knowing what was to come (there are a few such lines in Gaudy Night that help place the book in the 1930s rather than later).

There is one more Peter & Harriet book that Walsh finished up, A Presumption of Innocence. It isn't quite as good, but it is far better than much of what is out there.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Outlander books! My favorite series EVER!

Yup, I'm ripping through those books like there's no tomorrow. Just starting the 5th one today! I'm going to have to slow down and re-read them before the 7th book comes out in September, lol.

Have you read any of the Lord John Grey books? Are they as good?

Yup, I'm ripping through those books like there's no tomorrow. Just starting the 5th one today! I'm going to have to slow down and re-read them before the 7th book comes out in September, lol.

Have you read any of the Lord John Grey books? Are they as good?

I'm getting the series from paperbackswap.com slowly but surely! I plan to reread them this summer.

I've read all the Lord John Grey books, and they were ok. I love the time period and the Lord John character. There was a lot of s*x in one of the books between Lord John and other men. I don't remember which one, but I had to skip that part.

Thank you

Laura

More like a coming of age story, but there is a hinted romance in Lucy Gayheart.

I write romances so my suggestions are more of what you'll find currently in the romance section of your bookstore. Many of these authors are also available in the libraries.

I second the recommendation of historical romance author Eloisa James and would also add Jo Beverly as another historical writer to check out. Susan Wiggs writes fantastic contemporaries. If you like paranormals, Virginia Kantra has a intriguing selkie trilogy that's based on ancient legends/folklore.

(this thread was tagged as "is this a kissing book?" TOO funny!!)

Meanwhile, I'd like to add my voice to those that love the Outlander series. (Although edited to add that despite the time travel there was a point where I was feeling some of the relationships themselves were far fetched...about the third book for me)

For a sweet old fashioned (30's) romance I always like Mrs.Mike. I'm not so sure about "intelligent" but it's sweet.

I think that Gillian Bradshaw is an amazingly intelligent author. I love all her books, although her first, Beacon At Alexandria is one of my favorites! Island of Ghosts by same is also big on my list. Great reading, dialogue and the perfect amount of romance without over selling it, ykwim?

Those are my favorite kissing books.

Meanwhile, I just watched Wives and Daughters on DVD. I thought it very romantic in an Austen sense, but have no idea what the book would be like. Just a thought....

Great post..I've got my wish list ready!

P.S. Just re-reading and have to second Eliana's suggestion of Prisoner of Zenda and Rupert of Hentzau~it's been literally 20 years since I read those two books, but I LOVED them so much!

Edited by Maria/ME
spelling!! Hello? I homeschool, I should know how to spell!

My first thought was Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles (the final book is the more romantic of the series, but the books have to be read in sequence - and, for me, there is a lot to skip/skim... but they are intelligent, incredibly well researched, and crammed full of literary references (so much so that there are companion volumes which try to reference as many of the quotes as possible).

Eliana's here!

*squeal!*

But if you find it rather slight, don't give up on Sayers. For the beginning of the romantic story go for Strong Poison. Another magnificent read is The Nine Tailors.

I read Mary Stewart's romances as a teenager, but I should probably try her again - I just re-read The Crystal Cave to see if I should give it to Calvin.

Laura

I just looked on a Dorothy Sayers website, and it looks like there are several books before Strong Poison that are about Lord Peter. Do I need to start at the very beginning?

No, you don't. The other books are also good, but the only ones with a clear and necessary chronology are the series of Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon. The rest of the Wimsey chronology can be constructed by Sayers geeks, but it's not very important.

Have fun!

Laura

I thought it was a great read. Some language and sex, but it doesn't dominate the story at all. The whole story line is intriguing, thoughtful and intelligent for sure. Intelligent on the Sayers level though...probably not. ;)

I found it rather predictable.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Laura

No, you don't. The other books are also good, but the only ones with a clear and necessary chronology are the series of Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon. The rest of the Wimsey chronology can be constructed by Sayers geeks, but it's not very important.

Have fun!

Laura

Thanks!!

I've found an author who weaves Greek mythology, modern day and vampire hunters all in one huge series of books. It is very well written. Her name is Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Just another idea and I belive that there are more than 20 books in this series right now including Archeron which is huge but in that she created a pantheon for Atalantis.:001_smile:

I've found an author who weaves Greek mythology, modern day and vampire hunters all in one huge series of books. It is very well written. Her name is Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Just another idea and I belive that there are more than 20 books in this series right now including Archeron which is huge but in that she created a pantheon for Atalantis.:001_smile:

Hey! I've met Sherrilyn Kenyon! She was keynote speaker at a conference put on by the local RWA chapter in Vancouver.

Great speaker, but wrong genre for me. I don't like vampire stuff....