Menu

Help me decide which dog breed to get

We would like to get a purebred dog next year (January or February 2010) and I find it harder to decide between dog breeds as it's so important now that I have children. Next year ds will be almost 6 1/2 and dd 2 1/2. I feel this is a good time.

We want a dog that's easygoing, great with kids, fairly easy to train, ready for a romp outside but not too busy indoors, and able to go on bike rides with us (attached to the side) and to swim with the kids in designated dog beaches. My kids are active and would be disappointed if Scooby (tentatively, ds' idea) would be too lethargic to participate.

BTW, this would be mostly "my dog", even though it's the family dog, but I'm the one who would love to get a dog here the most (I think!), and ds has been begging me for one since he was three, dh is great with dogs and loves to hang out with them and takes care of them too, and dd is fascinated by dogs at her tender age -- whenever she sees one at the park she wants to go home with him :)

Here's a list of what we don't want:

-Dh doesn't want any Labs or Goldens

-No small dogs or giant dogs -- medium first preference, large second

-No terriers

-No aggression towards people

-No aggression towards other dogs

-No bully breeds

After much research and consideration, I narrowed down my search to these breeds:

1. Llewellyn English Setter (as opposed to the AKC registered bench or Lavarack English Setter)

2. Field Spaniel

3. English Setter (Lavarack type)

4. English Cocker Spaniel

5. Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever

For important reasons, I'm not planning on adopting from a shelter but either obtaining:

an older puppy or young dog from a reputable breeder (ideal situation);

an 8-week-old puppy from a reputable breeder

or

an older puppy or young dog from a reputable breed rescue

Does anybody have any experience with any of these dogs? Care to offer insight into the day to day living with any of these examples?

Laverack and Llewellin or Llewellyn.

Main differences from the Laverack or bench type English Setter: more hunting ability, more activity level, less coat (much easier to groom), smaller size.

We've ruled out Chessies because of their reportedly more serious and protective instinct and the need for a dominant owner (I don't tend to be very assertive, but I have practice with the kids :))

One thing I would suggest is start contacting breeders now.

I decided early last fall I wanted a Corgi and I hope to have one by March. (the dog is coming from an excellent breeder and will have certain traits I am looking for...ie intelligence and an outgoing personality. I plan to take the dog to nursing homes to visit the residences. You are looking at even less common breeds than a corgi so you could have a long wait, and also expect to pay a pretty penny. I have found the less common the dog the higher the price. Breeders are usually great at matching a pup with a family. Don't be surprised it they want to select the best puppy for your family and needs. Also breeders can probably tell you best if a certain breed (ie they ones you are interested in) match what you are looking for. I have found the best way to find good breeders is to look up the national breed club on the internet or contact the AKC. Also you could try going to a large dog show, just wait to talk to the exhibitors until after they have shown their dogs for the day. Please keep up posted on your search, and best wishes on finding a super dog.

Karen (who bought doggie toys yesterday for her hopefully soon to arrive Corgi - tentitive names...Sparky, Ringo, or Winston or whatever suits him best.

We have a Brittany. I will say, our dog is pretty crazy, but I don't know if that's normal. I've seen several pretty laid back Brittany's, so I do know it's possible. :p He is the friendliest dog I've evern seen though. He shows no aggression to anything whatsoever. We chose him because dh wanted a dog who could go biking with him. Our Brittany certainly fits the bill. As soon as Kenai sees dh putting on his biking clothes, he starts to go nuts. He's a medium size dog with minimal shedding. I think he weighed about 33 pounds at his last vet visit. He is VERY trainable. We just bought him a dog bed. I think we had to tell him twice to go lay down. He now knows we mean to lay on the dog bed, not the couch. :tongue_smilie: I think Brittany's are fairly close to Cocker Spaniels, so if you're only interested in the breeds you listed, that's what I would go with.

I did a lot of research when I was looking for our dog. My dh duck hunts, so we needed a retriever-type dog. I looked at the NSDTR, and they are fairly rare in America - I didn't look to see where you where located, but most of the breeders are up north.

We got a Golden Retriever from Sooner Golden Retriever Rescue and he is the absolute best dog. He is purebred; he's on the young side (almost 2) but house trained, crate trained (although we don't need to) and sweet as all get out. He minds (usually) and we plan to start water training this summer.

I know your dh said no to a golden - but, there are several pure breed rescues out there; try to Google the breeds and see what you can find. I noticed you were willing to go that route.

Just a thought! Good luck, and for the record, I love Brittany's, but they were too expensive. And I really really wanted a NSDTR...:sad:

Edited by BryRon
Re-read OP;

We've ruled out Chessies because of their reportedly more serious and protective instinct and the need for a dominant owner (I don't tend to be very assertive, but I have practice with the kids :))

:iagree:Chessies are very protective and frankly I do not recommend them for young kids usually.

My only two cents: you said you wanted a dog that is "not too busy indoors" and the Cocker may be ok that way but most Setters and Spaniels are very busy, need to work, kind of dogs, not all but most. If you do get a Cocker be aware of all their potential medical issues first. Allergies, KCS, IMHA, etc.

I know this is not on your list, but I just have to plug the Lab. We have a Chocolate Lab. We purchased her from a reputable breeder when she was 8 weeks. Her parents were on the premises. They were registered and from champion lines. And they were gorgeous! When I say this has been the perfect dog for us, I mean it. Right this second she is lying at my feet being completely useless. However, if I make one movement for my walking shoes, she will be up and out the door in a second. She is both the laziest and most energetic dog I have ever seen! She will lay around the house all day and be fine, or she will run laps around us while we play outside. Whatever we want, she gives. She's an excellent swimmer and often joins us (uninvited) in our pool as we swim. Most importantly to us, she is completely gentle with our children. We brought her home when my son was 16 months old. We now have a 20 month old who tortures our animals. Our dog has never, ever snapped at any of my children. She just takes it or walks calmly away. She is even gentle with our chickens. She was curious about them at first, but once we expressed to her that she was not allowed to harass the chickens, she stopped, which is huge since she is a bird dog.

I know some people hate Labs and will tell you they are the most hyper dogs ever. I've heard this from people who leave their dogs home alone for 10 hours a day or never interact with them. I am a busy mom. I don't have time to constantly interact with my dog. But, we took time in the beginning (not a lot) and we are being rewarded. I think the most important thing to remember no matter what breed you choose is that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. If you are willing to train, love, and exercise any dog in the beginning, you will get the perfect dog for your family.

Any of those breeds can be A LOT more excitable than it sound slike you want but with your choices #1 sounds best.

THey are a small to medium size dog, easy grooming, fairly easy training BUT still needs to be done. High energy for the first few years at least but it is that way with most hunting/retrieving breeds.

They also havbe less known health issues than some others.

Now as for the English cocker, just know that is different the the Amercian Cocker and if gotten from a good breeder you will have a great dog as well. As Soph said though ear problems and allergies run rampant with the breed even from a good breeder.

Also again remember that any dog can be aggressive to other animals or people if not socialized often enough and into different situations. You have a pretty good start of breed choices to minimize that chance but now it will also be up to you to make sure that you help the dog not to fail.

Good luck in your choices.

Chessies are wonderful dogs but yes, they can be stubborn and strong willed. I grew up with 3(at the same time):001_smile:

I know this is not on your list, but I just have to plug the Lab. We have a Chocolate Lab. We purchased her from a reputable breeder when she was 8 weeks. Her parents were on the premises. They were registered and from champion lines. And they were gorgeous! When I say this has been the perfect dog for us, I mean it. Right this second she is lying at my feet being completely useless. However, if I make one movement for my walking shoes, she will be up and out the door in a second. She is both the laziest and most energetic dog I have ever seen! She will lay around the house all day and be fine, or she will run laps around us while we play outside. Whatever we want, she gives. She's an excellent swimmer and often joins us (uninvited) in our pool as we swim. Most importantly to us, she is completely gentle with our children. We brought her home when my son was 16 months old. We now have a 20 month old who tortures our animals. Our dog has never, ever snapped at any of my children. She just takes it or walks calmly away. She is even gentle with our chickens. She was curious about them at first, but once we expressed to her that she was not allowed to harass the chickens, she stopped, which is huge since she is a bird dog.

I know some people hate Labs and will tell you they are the most hyper dogs ever. I've heard this from people who leave their dogs home alone for 10 hours a day or never interact with them. I am a busy mom. I don't have time to constantly interact with my dog. But, we took time in the beginning (not a lot) and we are being rewarded. I think the most important thing to remember no matter what breed you choose is that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. If you are willing to train, love, and exercise any dog in the beginning, you will get the perfect dog for your family.

I second this - we got a purebreed Lab after looking for the best dog for kids - one of my son's has autism and needs to be able to HUG and play with a dog w/o breaking the animal ;) and our Lab is perfect! Unlike Marley - an untrained beast with a wild father - our lab is calm and perfectly happy to snooze all day (on the sofa, sigh - never let a puppy on the sofa or the full-grown dog will be there, too!) but ready in a heartbeat to go outside for walkies or a backyard romp. I was raised a cat person - and have four right now - and am very pleased with Captain, our first dog (he is watching me type this with his big brown eyes - who is a good boy? Ah - now the Power Tail of Doom is wagging - no knickknacks at tail level when you have a Lab!)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
When I say this has been the perfect dog for us, I mean it. Right this second she is lying at my feet being completely useless. However, if I make one movement for my walking shoes, she will be up and out the door in a second. She is both the laziest and most energetic dog I have ever seen! She will lay around the house all day and be fine, or she will run laps around us while we play outside. Whatever we want, she gives. She's an excellent swimmer and often joins us (uninvited) in our pool as we swim. Most importantly to us, she is completely gentle with our children. We brought her home when my son was 16 months old. We now have a 20 month old who tortures our animals. Our dog has never, ever snapped at any of my children. She just takes it or walks calmly away.

This is EXACTLY my experience with both of the Labs we've had. Mellow when they need to be. Energetic when you're up for some fun. As far as how they are with children and other animals, my husband and I used to joke about our dearly departed yellow Lab that if we ever entered a room and found anyone injured (our three cats or three kids), we would sooner believe that someone had come in and framed her! :lol:

I know some people hate Labs and will tell you they are the most hyper dogs ever. I've heard this from people who leave their dogs home alone for 10 hours a day or never interact with them.

YES! I can specifically recall three people who say their Labs are hyper troublemakers (digging, barking, etc.) and they are all people who leave their dogs locked out all the time, completely alone! They are pack animals.

The one fault that is (mostly) true is the oral fixation. I think that's probably true of most puppies though and the cure is to give constant and lavish praise when your dog chews on his own toys/treats and scold when he chews things that are not his--oh, and to have your kids not leave their shoes wherever they happen to take them off. :glare:

I think the most important thing to remember no matter what breed you choose is that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. If you are willing to train, love, and exercise any dog in the beginning, you will get the perfect dog for your family.

I'm sure Sagira has her reasons for not wanting a Lab, so I'm not pushing them for her. Other people have valid issues with the shedding. I have a friend who is a total neat freak and the shedding is a deal breaker for her. I have had shedding animals since I was born and so it just doesn't figure into my thought process about a pet. Not every breed is right for every family. I'm just happy to hear someone else defending Labs. I'm worried that after Marley and Me, more people are going to think that Labs are all too much effort. I know there are other great breeds out there but I just can't imagine myself with anything other than a Lab.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Have you considered a retired racing Greyhound? I have researched them and know several people who have adopted them and everyone says how wonderful they are. I really really want to get one, but we have very young kids (4 and 1 years old) and I dont want a big dog while they are little.

They will still be fairly young when you adopt them (usually between two and about five years old) and they are nicknamed the "45 mile per hour couch potato). In the house they are usually very docile and then they have short bursts of energy when taken outside. I've heard they are very gentle dogs who are already housebroken because they are crate trained for racing.

I will definitely be getting a retired racing greyhound one day.

I've been involved with dogs for many, many years now. I'm going to put down a vote for a collie. And, they come in a short coat variety ~ very little grooming.

Right now we share our home with a Collie and a Great Dane. They are both super with the kids. Easy around the house but willing to go on whatever outdoor adventure we can dish up.

That being said...I think most people would agree, even beyond the breed type, it is the training that makes a good dog.

How about a Lagotto? a Portugese Water Dog, or Wheaten Terrier? You have to have 'work" or lots of exercise. Anyway, if I was going to purchase a dog, I would go to dog shows, meet the people who are showing their dogs and get hooked up with a puppy that way.

Carrie:-)

Edited by NayfiesMama

Because I'm right there with your dh in the no labs or goldens camp. Unfortunately, although I admire them, I do not care for, ahem, the reality of most spaniels.

So I vote Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever...

Good golly I love these dogs! We've had the privilege of knowing two of them and even though one owner sucked :001_smile: the dog was still great. Not nearly so hyper as some other retrievers, I saw no dominance or protective issues, both dogs treated my then littles with care, and they were just so gorgeous. Very, very trainable and oh, so smart.

The only issue I can see would be that they need, like all retrievers, a LOT of exercise and I'm guessing they need a lot of chew time.

Can you check out any of these breeds in person? It might make a difference if you could see some individuals in action. And like a previous poster said, it's all about the training.

good luck!

Georgia

I've been involved with dogs for many, many years now. I'm going to put down a vote for a collie. And, they come in a short coat variety ~ very little grooming.

Right now we share our home with a Collie and a Great Dane. They are both super with the kids. Easy around the house but willing to go on whatever outdoor adventure we can dish up.

That being said...I think most people would agree, even beyond the breed type, it is the training that makes a good dog.

Smooth Collies are wonderful dogs and fit you requirements. Although not all love to swim, but then I know a Lab that hates the water.

Also Portugese Water Dogs are great and fit your requirements. They are a less common breed so you can expect to pay more for one.

Karen

Yes, this is what our friends have experienced. High energy too.

eta: Meant to add that unless you're absolutely set on the pedigree, "pound puppies/dogs" tend not to have the health problems that many of the purebreds are experiencing.

I stayed up to research the Llewellyn English Setter and I really like what I see and read. Here's an excerpt:

"Known as "the moderate setter," the graceful English Setter's love of people and easygoing nature can make him a super friend for an active family as well as a fine hunting dog. He's not as rollicking as the Irish setter nor as standoffish toward strangers as the Gordon Setter. Gentle, kind, and affectionate, he's devoted to his family, sociable with strangers, and gets along just fine with kids."

and like the Labs:

"English Setters are quiet indoors, but outside they love to run and play with other dogs and people. A daily run, off-leash play in a fenced area, or an energetic hike through a nearby park or wilderness area will be just this English breed's cup of tea."

So it sounds like this Setter is what we're looking for. I also like the NSDTR, but it sounds like they're rare. The Llewellyn Setter is surprisingly not rare, just not AKC. They are hunting dogs and available from breeders (as an older puppy or young dog) deemed not suitable for hunting.

Field Spaniels are the most docile and independent of Spaniels, and a healthier alternative. They're still my second choice. I like collies too, but the shedding.. ay ay ay :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I like Labs, just not for us ;) I haven't even seen Marley & Me (but I want to!), but I have spent a lot of time observing Labs and reading and researching about them. And then there's the fact that they're just not our cup of tea.

You're right about contacting breeders. I'm in the process now.

To the PP who mentioned she was getting a Corgi, it's exciting, eh? I'm happy for you -- let me know how it goes! Anticipation is half the fun :D

Greyhounds are greyt! We just lost our 13 year old grey, Katie last month. She was a retired racer and we got her when she was 2. She never made money on the track, so they retired her. She was great with my infant son (now 9). I do have to say that she was not a playful dog. Very laid back, and sweet, but not playful. I do however, know other greys who are very playful. We all miss her terribly.

Nan

I can't fathom someone not liking a Lab! :blink: Yes, they can maintain "puppy-mode" for up to three years but they are THE best, most loveable, most family oriented dog I have ever experienced. We have an older lab who is going on 11 years, and a pup who is turning a year in Feb. They are EASY to train because they love pleasing you, and there is a reason most of the eye-seeing dogs are Labs and Retrievers. ;)

Your entire list of desires in a dog would be filled perfectly by a Lab. :001_huh: I would love to know why your dh is so against them as a pet. Not that it's ANY of my business of course. :lol:

I did not read all the posts, but I thought I saw a Cocker Spanial recommended? I personally would not, not, not get a cocker spaniel. Yikes! Yes, they are adorable to look at, but there is a lot of up-keep involved. The one we had, and perhaps we got us a bad one, constantly went potty in the house whenever even slightly excited, was impossible to train, and dumber than dirt. Not to mention the constant ear infections, and dog grooming bills...ugh. He WAS cute to look at though...just not at all practical to own. After owning Labs, I wouldn't even consider another breed of dog unless for some reason I want a small yappy one when I get older. :D

Happy doggie shopping! I hope you find the perfect dog for your family. :)

Have you looked at Vizslas? They are retriever size dogs with smooth coats - no shedding. They love to swim and run, but don't need the extensive exercise that something like a deerhound would. They are good with kids. They are from Hungary, originally bred as retrievers, and the story is that during one of the World Wars (I forget which), there was not enough food. Dogs could not be fed and were killed -- except for the Vizslas that were like family members. These are the one that modern Vizslas are descended from.

I have a friend who has had many Vizslas. The first, acquired before kids were born, was too owner attached and was given (after growling at kids) away as a precaution. All the other Vizlas have been wonderful with children, including visiting kids.

I grew up with a miniature poodle. We trimmed his coat ourselves, so he was not "poodle-like". He loved to run, hunt & swim and was extremely loyal & intelligent. If you can find a breeder who breeds for character and not for looks -- there are some real nut-case poodles out there -- poodles (miniature & standard) can be great dogs.

I guess I like dogs with a certain amount of protective instinct, and ones that have strong-wills and need (and thrive on) positive training. I love working with dogs, and intelligent (strong-headed ones) especially.

I had a Weimaraner for many years. What a great dog he was!

But boy did he need a lot of exercise. Fortunately he went out with the horses every day for long conditioning runs. But that was another life-time.

Currently my "dream-dog" is a " Bracco Italiano" (Italian Pointer). We fell in love with one of these when we stayed in a farm-house in Modena, Italy. Great dogs. Look a bit like a German Shorthair (another favorite) crossed with a Bloodhound (but they are an ancient breed in actuality, although rare in the US).

We are in "pondering mode" ourselves as to what dog might be next.

Good luck finding yours!

Bill

Here's a list of what we don't want:

-Dh doesn't want any Labs or Goldens

-No small dogs or giant dogs -- medium first preference, large second

-No terriers

-No aggression towards people

-No aggression towards other dogs

-No bully breeds

Based on this list, you would probably enjoy a Bernese Mountain Dog, but I see that you are in Florida, and I don't think a Berner could handle that much heat year round. Maybe a different "working class" breed would fit the bill??

We love the temperament of our BMD, and the females aren't too large. Ours is about 80 lb.

Sorry... I'm not much help.

Lori

Have you considered an Irish Setter? They are wonderful dogs and fit your requirements too. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/irishsetter.htm

We had an Irish Setter growing up. There were few things a beautiful as watching him run through green fields. And he got out a lot as my mother was a marathon runner and took him on her training runs.

While a very friendly and loving creature, he did have a certain "neurotic" energy he needed to flare, and he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

But as handsome as the day is long :001_smile:

Bill

I think that's what's wonderful about dogs, that there are breeds for every type of person. The trick is to match your family with the best type of dog for you :)

I like the Canaan Dog and have seriously considered the Portuguese Water Dog, but ultimately decided against the Canaan Dog because we need a dog that's sociable with strangers and dogs (we live in an area that's dog-friendly and I know many people I run into nearly every day), and although tempting, have decided against a Portie because he's known to be strong-willed and somewhat mischievous. Lovely dogs, though. A casual friend of mine just acquired one, and I can't wait to meet him -- his name is Salty, and he's adorable! Committing to clipping every six weeks could be tough for me too. Even my ds' hair gets way too long before I finally take him to the stylist :tongue_smilie:

I love reading about dogs and dog breeds, keep your comments coming! And anyone with experience with English Setters (especially Llewellyn, but doesn't have to be) please share too!

And again, I have nothing, nothing against Labs. I think Labs and Goldens are both great dogs (and I'm not just saying that), and I admire their capabilities and personality. I did consider a Chocolate Lab, but decided against it after dh said he didn't want any retrievers (the only one he'll consider is the Nova Scotia one, because he's different). I also liked Flat-coated Retrievers but reconsidered after I found out they didn't ever mature -- I like dogs that mellow a bit after they age.

Bill, it sounds like the dogs you like are great dogs and very right for your personality. I think my dh could handle dogs like that too. I admire these kinds of dogs, I just don't think I could handle them, I'm a bit of a softie and a newbie at assertiveness :tongue_smilie:

Based on this list, you would probably enjoy a Bernese Mountain Dog, but I see that you are in Florida, and I don't think a Berner could handle that much heat year round. Maybe a different "working class" breed would fit the bill??

We love the temperament of our BMD, and the females aren't too large. Ours is about 80 lb.

Sorry... I'm not much help.

Lori

You got me there -- I would LOVE to own a Bernese Mountain Dog, I've always LOVED this breed -- their looks, temperament, everything. But yes, the weather. I see some people down here with Arctic dogs :confused: and Newfoundlands panting heavily :glare:, but I'm not one to do that to them. Too much heat and humidity most of the year.

I joke with dh that if I weren't married to him I would have had a male Bernie and lived a little bit more up North (like South or North Carolina) to accommodate him :D

I am not sure if any of the breeds you mentioned really fit your criteria.

Honestly, I think you are really missing out by eliminating the golden retriever. With what you have mentioned, a golden sounds perfect for your family. They are puppies for quite a while, but they are SO loving, HIGHLY intelligent and great with kids. They could keep up with you when you're active, but are usually more than happy to lay around at your feet when you're not. Our golden and our golden mix that we used to have were the BEST dogs we've ever had.

An Australian Shepherd is also an active, intelligent breed. They are protective of their families and so easy to train. Our Aussie is a great family dog.

Another breed not on your list is a boxer. These are really good family dogs. They are active, but also LOVE to be couch potatoes. A big plus for the boxer is the ease of care. Their coats don't shed and are so easy to clean. In addition, they rarely smell because of the lack of hair.

I love my small dogs too (we have 7 dogs).

And labs are also WONDERFUL family dogs (of course, they have a LONG puppy phase too). I just hate to see you automatically rule out so many really great breeds.

Cocker spaniels are really quite high strung. If you decide to go that route, be sure and find a really reputable breeder. These have been ill-bred for a long time and are just starting to recover.

Most of the setter/spaniel types are going to be quite active. We had a springer spaniel a long time ago. She was WILD!! I'm sure there are exceptions, but these dogs like to be busy, and are bred to be.

I wish you luck. Whatever you do, do your research and seek out a really good breeder. You will at least get a pet that is true to its type. I just wish you'd reconsider on some of those fabulous family pets!

Laverack and Llewellin or Llewellyn.

Main differences from the Laverack or bench type English Setter: more hunting ability, more activity level, less coat (much easier to groom), smaller size.

We have an English setter, the field setter, not bench setter. We absolutely love her. In fact, she looks like the link you provided. She is the gentlest creature on earth. She never even used to bark, but after we kenneled her while on vacation, she started that. She is also not fond of mail carriers, and will bark as they approach. However, she is the most tenderhearted dog, so good with kids, full of energy. She is obsessed with birds and all other outdoor things. She runs like the dickens. She is a very small dog for her breed. The vet said she's the smallest he's seen, all chest and lungs. She needs lots and lots of activity. She also thinks she's a lap dog. I have heard the bench setters are calmer/less active. The thing to remember with a dog like this is she has very strong instincts about things. She likes to please, and I am sure that with training, setters like mine, can do great with obedience, BUT she has incredibly strong instincts that drive her. For example, she will sit and watch a squirrel for up to 30 OR MORE minutes NEVER moving ALL ALL as far as I can tell. Frozen. I have never seen anything like it. If I call her, she continues to just sit and stare until she decides to go after the squirrel. It's as if she can't even hear me.

I really can't say anything negative about her, other than be ready for a highly active dog who loves attention. Oh, and she really is not too active in the house. It's mostly out of doors.

Best,

Anita

Edited by Violet

I want, WANT, WANT and English Setter. I've been coveting an English Setter for years now. They're very rare here & hardly ever come into rescue in my area of the world. There are several very reputable breeders near me but I'm more inclined to go the rescue route so I wait or ponder the realities of driving out across the continent to pick up a dog or having it shipped, sight unseen......

I like Aces Setter Rescue http://www.englishsetterrescue.org/ & check out their dogs frequently. Their calendar has been gracing my walls for a couple years now.

Illinois Bird Dog Rescue is another one that seems to get loads of really nice dogs. I think most are field & not bench, but I've seen some lovely bench bred dogs there too.

I did want to say that if you like ES's, you'd probably also really like English Springer Spaniels. They're just a bit smaller (in fact big male ESS's can be bigger than some female ES's, esp. bench), come in bench & field as well, and are very similar in temperament - perhaps a teensy bit more goofy from what I understand. They tend to have cropped tails which people with coffee tables appreciate as a happy ES (& they're always happy!) clears coffee tables very efficiently with the tail.

So maybe add an English Springer Spaniel to your list. If you contact the local breed clubs for whatever you decide & ask about rescue, they'll be able to put you in touch with the right people. Often they can also warn you about any mass factory or mill breeders operating in the area.

I want, WANT, WANT and English Setter. I've been coveting an English Setter for years now. They're very rare here & hardly ever come into rescue in my area of the world. There are several very reputable breeders near me but I'm more inclined to go the rescue route so I wait or ponder the realities of driving out across the continent to pick up a dog or having it shipped, sight unseen......

I like Aces Setter Rescue http://www.englishsetterrescue.org/ & check out their dogs frequently. Their calendar has been gracing my walls for a couple years now.

Illinois Bird Dog Rescue is another one that seems to get loads of really nice dogs. I think most are field & not bench, but I've seen some lovely bench bred dogs there too.

I did want to say that if you like ES's, you'd probably also really like English Springer Spaniels. They're just a bit smaller (in fact big male ESS's can be bigger than some female ES's, esp. bench), come in bench & field as well, and are very similar in temperament - perhaps a teensy bit more goofy from what I understand. They tend to have cropped tails which people with coffee tables appreciate as a happy ES (& they're always happy!) clears coffee tables very efficiently with the tail.

So maybe add an English Springer Spaniel to your list. If you contact the local breed clubs for whatever you decide & ask about rescue, they'll be able to put you in touch with the right people. Often they can also warn you about any mass factory or mill breeders operating in the area.

Hornblower, I may have an answer for you! This rescue looks really nice, and they have an excellent and unique transportation system.

We had an Irish Setter growing up. There were few things a beautiful as watching him run through green fields. And he got out a lot as my mother was a marathon runner and took him on her training runs.

While a very friendly and loving creature, he did have a certain "neurotic" energy he needed to flare, and he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

But as handsome as the day is long :001_smile:

Bill

They are pretty, aren't they. As a breed, they are supposed to be quite smart and ours certainly was. She was also very loyal and just a wonderful pet.

They are pretty, aren't they. As a breed, they are supposed to be quite smart and ours certainly was. She was also very loyal and just a wonderful pet.

Perhaps, it would have been or accurate to say he was a bit scattered (as opposed to focused) mentally. He was awfully sweet though, and alway excited to play and run.

He was also a supremely good skunk-hunter, which was a skill that went under-appreciated in our home. :tongue_smilie:

Bill (who was in charge of the "tomato-juice" baths.)

Hornblower, I may have an answer for you! This rescue looks really nice, and they have an excellent and unique transportation system.

hey, thanks for that! Does look like a nice rescue. Not sure if I've seen that one before. Gosh, they have some lovelies. Not fair you made me look......

I know about the transport legs though I don't do much transport myself. I've been on the receiving end of some pretty long dist transports though as some of my fosters have come from quite a distance.

You got me there -- I would LOVE to own a Bernese Mountain Dog, I've always LOVED this breed -- their looks, temperament, everything. But yes, the weather. I see some people down here with Arctic dogs :confused: and Newfoundlands panting heavily :glare:, but I'm not one to do that to them. Too much heat and humidity most of the year.

I joke with dh that if I weren't married to him I would have had a male Bernie and lived a little bit more up North (like South or North Carolina) to accommodate him :D

That's funny! I want to move up North...to Maine!

Edited by unsinkable
b/c I'm isn't I

Cocker spaniels are really quite high strung. If you decide to go that route, be sure and find a really reputable breeder. These have been ill-bred for a long time and are just starting to recover.

I was talking about the English Cocker Spaniel, not the American Cocker :001_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions!