Menu

Book-A-Week in 2009: Week 3 update

Today it's time to start book #4. You can post here, and post a review if you want at the 52 books blog.

http://read52booksin52weeks.blogspot.com/

Feel free to join in at any time--Recapping the rules:

1. Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  2. Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  3. School related books don't count (unless you want them to)

I finished "Over My Dead Body" by Rex Stout--an easy genre read, but I'm soooo busy. Of course, I read another mystery too...

This week I'm travelling to Arizona to care for my grandmother, so I want something relatively easy again. My dh has suggested : Wild Cards, Volume 1, ed. by George R. R. Martin. Here goes!

by Kim Edwards. This turned out to be a beautifully written book with a rather strange, sad, yet ultimately hopeful plot. I recommend it!

Week 4 will be an old, very old, fave - the Black Stallion by Walter Farley. Must have read it 10 times between the ages of 8 and 12. Had fantasies of being shipwrecked and finding my own horse. Didn't let the fact that (a) I had never once been on a ship and (b) would have no place to keep a horse if I found one stop me

I read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and it was fabulous!! I can see reading it again.

Tomorrow I start Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill. Then I am going to read Persuasion by Jane Austen.

I love seeing what everyone is reading and adding to my list of "books to be read".

Nakia, I just noticed this line in your signature:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh crap, she's up".

I LOVE it!!

I wish I could take the credit, but I can't. It's on my favorite piece of flair on facebook. I have no idea where it came from originally, but I LOVE it too!

This week I read:

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks - eh, kind of cheesy

Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner - not great

A Thomas Jefferson Education - a good read, but didn't speak to me really

I'm surprised at my reaction to the first two on my list. I usually like books like this. I'm wondering if my homeschool reading is starting to creep in and make more commercial simply written books less appealing - both of those just seemed so predictable and not well written at all.

I read two books this week: Joy in the Morning (a re-read from way back) and Sister Carrie (Dreiser).

I very much enjoyed visiting with Carl and Annie after all these years. I had forgotten what a "book person" Annie is. It was a lovely, warm read after the two rather depressing books I read just prior.

I enjoyed Sister Carrie, too, although it's not what one would call a happy book. I found Carrie, herself, a frustrating character because there's not much depth to her. So, it's hard to understand why she makes the choices she does. But I found the writing evocative of an era and enjoyed following the story to its end.

I'm currently re-reading Sense and Sensibility, which I'll probably finish in a day or two. I've promised myself I won't do two re-reads in a row. So, after that I have my choice of Barchester Towers, Utopia or Wings of the Dove. I'll have to see what I feel like once I finish the Austen.

I read two books this week: Joy in the Morning (a re-read from way back) and Sister Carrie (Dreiser).

I am still plowing through "Beekeeper's Apprentice". It has not been holding my attention for long - not necessarily the book's fault.

I am also reading "Over the Edge" by Ghiglieri.

The book is about the French Revolution. I am always amazed at how much I learn from living history books. How I would have loved to have learned history this way as a kid. My ds also really enjoyed the book. We spent a lot of time talking about the American Revolution compared to the French Revolution. We can spend several hours on discussion of this nature, he is a great kid! Next week Dr. Jenner and the Speckled Monster. I am also slowly reading Dragonfly in Amber, the second book in the Outlander series.

Karen

I just finished Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama. I enjoyed it, but given the way the board has been lately, I think that's all I'll say about that. ;)

I haven't decided if I'll read Jane Eyre next or The Thirteenth Tale. I wasn't planning to read Jane Eyre again, but I checked it out from the library when I was reading The Eyre Affair because my memory was a little fuzzy. (It's been about 25 years since I read it.) The Thirteenth Tale has been on my list for about a year.

I haven't decided if I'll read Jane Eyre next or The Thirteenth Tale. I wasn't planning to read Jane Eyre again, but I checked it out from the library when I was reading The Eyre Affair because my memory was a little fuzzy. (It's been about 25 years since I read it.) The Thirteenth Tale has been on my list for about a year.

Oh oh! Jane Eyre. and then watch the version with Orson Wells. :svengo::001_tt1:

"Unspeakable" by sandra brown was book # 3 for 52 books, plus I read 3 more that applied to winter reading challenge and 100# challenge. We haven't been spending too much time on the internet this week. This is a technology free week for my son, so limiting my time as well.

Book # 4 which will be starting tomorrow (or maybe tonight since hubby off a meeting) is Split Second by David Baldacci.

Happy Reading!

I'm still trying to finish Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire.

But I did finish listening to A Little Princess in the car with my children and I'm counting it! We had to drive out of town for a funeral last week and while you can't read in the dark (at least not with a burned-out book light) you can always listen!

I read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon. An interesting snoop into Aspergers Syndrome, recommended by dd's godfather who has it himself. I also read "Vanilla: Travels in Search of the Luscious Substance" by Tim Ecott. A fabulous read for any foodies out there. I started Antonia Fraser's biography of Marie Antoinette last night and have revised my ill informed opinion of her a bit.

Dh has been terribly slack on his reading, but did manage to read a bit more of the never ending (for him) "China Study."

:)

Rosie

I am on my 7th book of the year - 1066, which some of you recommended! It's been very interesting so far. When I finish it, I plan to read The Wordsworth Book of the Kings and Queens of Britain. Since I read Roman Britain from Usborne just after Christmas, apparently I have decided to do a chronological study of the history of Britain this year!

This week I read Angler by Barton Gellman. It won the 2008 Pulitzer Prize and it's both an interesting and surprisingly readable book. Obviously, it might make some WTMers bp rise, but it did give me a newfound respect for John Ashcroft.

Next week I'll be continuing the recent history theme with The Dark Side. Can you tell I ordered books on the end of the year top 10 lists from the library? And I got them all at the same time?

This week I will be reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I haven't read any of her books before but my niece said she was assigned to read this in her ethics class in her nursing program so I thought I'd give it a whirl too.

I've read several of her books, and My Sister's Keeper is the only one I've liked. Actually, I loved it.

Week 1: The Nice and the Good by Iris Murdoch

Week 2: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Week 3: The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch

Blessings

Zoraida

I love Iris Murdoch. I believe I spent an entire year reading only her books. My favourite is 'The Sea, The Sea'.

This week I read 'David Copperfield' by Charles Dickens. In fact I took two weeks because it was over a thousand pages (and I should spend some time with the children too ;)). My review is on our blog and the book-a-week blog.

I am still deciding on next week's book.

I am about 75 pages into The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood for my week 4 book. I don't know if I'll make it though .... having a hard time getting into it. :thumbdown:

I am with you on this one too. I made an extra special effort with it because I usually like her books and my mother bought me it as a Christmas present one year. D- from me.

First week: Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale by Gillian Gill -- Learned a lot and much was interesting about her family and life but not a quick read

Second week: finished up the above and read something just for fun, The Body in the Kelp by Katherine Hall Page -- loved this and her first the Body in the Belfry, got a bunch more for Christmas and am stringing them out like special sweets

Third week: The Faith Club by Idilby, Oliver and Warner -- food for thought and I learned a bit more about Islam and Judaism but left me wanting somehow

This week: Mosaic by Amy Grant

I am really enjoying seeing the eclectic mix on the lists and especially appreciate those who take the time to give a hit or miss review--my author to check out list is growing!

This book a week challenge is a good excuse to pick up some of the things collecting dust next to my bed. I read "I Should Have Stayed Home: the Worst Trips of Great Writers" and found it to be less than great. There are many essays on insect encounters, choppy seas, lost gear. Not as amusing or interesting as one would hope.

This week I am reading something completely different for me, a modern Russian short story writer, Victor Pelevin. The collection is called A Werewolf Problem in Central Russia. Pelevin is supposed to be a "brilliant satirist" but whether I will be able to understand Perestroika absurdity is yet to be determined. New literary waters will be tested.

Happy reading to all.

Jane

by Kim Edwards. This turned out to be a beautifully written book with a rather strange, sad, yet ultimately hopeful plot. I recommend it!

I loved the Memory Keeper's Daughter. That definitely went on my list of favourites. I was fascinated by the fact that even though the son and wife didn't know there was a secret that it still had such a profound effect on their lives.

I wasn't expecting that ending and I'm still trying to make sense of it. I need to go back and reread the last couple of chapters - I tend to speed up when things get exciting and then I miss the subtle nuances.

I have nearly completed my third book as well. A Life that Says Welcome: Simple Ways to Open Your Heart and Home to Others. I have a couple of others on the go as well which makes the one book per week thing tricky. I'm sure I'll have some weeks where I don't complete anything and some weeks where I complete more than one book in a week.