Menu

Were YOU homeschooled?

Not me, but a gal at our church is a single mom with four little ones. She was homeschooled until high school and is currently working on a degree while working. Her kiddoes are amazing. She is a nice encouragement to my teenager. She gets what bugs him about homeschooling, understands what he enjoys, and asks intelligent questions.

I was homeschooled for 6th grade up basically. I have to say, things were harder then. Not as much outside support. My parents are very educated but somehow it didn't leak down. I would have been the perfect student for Sonlight! I did love to read.

I did have fun corresponding to "Grandpa and Grandma Moore" for a while when I was a teen. I got to meet Gregg Harris, Phyllis Shaffley, Edith Schaeffer, and a few other known people...all while I was young, because I was homeschooled. Fun, but too bad I didn't really understand who they were. I was just too young...

I am trying to give my kids the education that my parents wish I would have been willing to receive.

Carrie:-)

I went to public school but graduated at 16 (10th grade) with the help of college courses. I realized that public school isn't for everyone. I was easily bored with the busywork the teachers tried to give me and it didn't take long for me to come to the decision that I would educate my children at home. This way, irregardless of their learning pace, I can keep them at a level where they need to be and cater the education to each child- which, IMO, is how an education should be. One size doesn't fit all!

I only wish this decision would have came to dh that easily.:glare:

PS all the way. I thought homeschoolers were weird, but secretly wished I could have been. School was such a waste for me. My senior year, my English teacher gave us a syllabus for the 9 weeks. I did all my work in a week and read novels each day in class instead of doing the work each day. I pray my kids get a better education than what I got.

I forgot to add why we homeschool now. My now dh asked me the second time we were together how I felt about home schooling. by that point, I felt home schooling was the only way for me to go with my own (future) kids. We've planned since before we had them to home school them. I thank God that Chris' job enables us to have me home with the kids and home school them with out struggle. We are blessed.

Edited by RebeccaS

What did you use to attach that swing in your house (and how heavy are your kids?)

Our swings gets a lot of attention. :001_smile: The "swings" are actually woven baby wearing wraps from Germany. The are attached in door frames and hung from lag screws and soldered rings 3/8 inch thick.

I get mostly positive comments about it, but I had to take the vid off of youtube because I got two "someone should call CPS" comments that pissed me off. DD gets pretty daring but has never had an injury that a kiss and an ice pack didn't cure.

The kids are 20pds, 45pds and 65pds. Though dh (165) and I (175) go in them too....but we don't swing so high-:tongue_smilie:

The movie is from last year. My toddler is really cute now, she come up to the low on and swings from her armpits :lol:

Does unschooled count? I skipped most of highschool and spent 75% of my school hours at my local library reading. I hated highschool.

Michelle

Of course it counts! But despite your unschooling education you choose to educate classically. I find that interesting!

I get mostly positive comments about it, but I had to take the vid off of youtube because I got two "someone should call CPS" comments that pissed me off. DD gets pretty daring but has never had an injury that a kiss and an ice pack didn't cure.

:lol:

My only call would be to see where I could get one. Wait, those wraps are really spendy(what are those wraps called?)....so I'm not sure I'd sacrifice them for a swing, but it looks like a blast!

Looks alot like the chair my husband's ex has...kids do all kinds of dangerous things....my mom always reminds me that you can "safety" worry yourself to death!

Glad they can have fun!

Carrie:-)

My only call would be to see where I could get one. Wait, those wraps are really spendy(what are those wraps called?)....so I'm not sure I'd sacrifice them for a swing, but it looks like a blast!

Oh yeah, they are a pretty penny, but the are durable and the swinging just makes them soft and floppy and broken in, and they have been worth every penny seeing as I got babywearing out of them too. These things are built to last! Besides, my kids are asleep before 8pm every night guaranteed, even if the whole day was spent inside! Best investment I ever made.....

I use two long ones regularly now, a Hoppediz and a Bebina I got them both used from thebabywearer.com forums.

No we went to Catholic till middle then public. I asked my mom if she ever thought of it and she calmly said I don't think so, and I have no idea why you think you should either. She said this very firmly in a no nonsense kinda way as if to say I should shut up!! My mother never had much patience and we were raised children were seen not heard kinda family. She once saw a picture of my daughter sitting on my table playing with play dough and still talks about it three years later. We hardly agree but we have a great relationship.

I was not homeschooled, but we moved every year or so and I missed an awful lot of school -- several weeks per year, I'm sure. It was the 1960's & 1970's so I don't think my schools cared or kept track of it. For what it's worth, school was an absolute waste of time until I got to high school. I zoned out and finished all my work in class early so I could daydream. I would read books like crazy at home (often a dozen at a time), do my own projects, and help my inventor dad with projects. In that sense maybe I was homeschooled, if somewhat unconventionally.

If nothing else it probably explains why I'm such an odd-ball even now and why I want to homeschool my own kids.:D

Nope public school right through. I wish my parents homeschooled me though, PS was a nightmare. They are so against hsing though, that my mom has told me that a horribleps experience was still better than being homsechooled. I hope that if/when my children have children they decide to homeschool them.

I wasn't homeschooled but my mom's best friend's dd homeschooled her kids while I was growing up in the 70's. The dd graduated highschool and got her RN licence both when she turned 18.

My dh's best friend was homeschooled in the 80's and 90's. It wasn't a happy homeschool situation and honestly the mom (a freind of mine) really shouldn't have homeschooled.

So, dh and I both grew up with a freind who was homeschooled. ONe for the better, one for the worse. I was really surpirsed that dh was supportive of the notion of homeschooling from the get go, with the horrible example he had seen.

We homeschool because the kids want to. They asked to do it, and they push for it every year. Ds 14 is in a hybrid homeschool with the public school (formatted like college classes). Dd10 is only homeschooled.

I went to public school and my mom worked. It was horrible to come home to an empty house when you're 8 years old. Yuck! I had never even heard of home schooling until my oldest 2 were in school. At first I thought those people must be crazy. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way!

PS all the way. ....... School was such a waste for me. My senior year, my English teacher gave us a syllabus for the 9 weeks. I did all my work in a week and read novels each day in class instead of doing the work each day. I pray my kids get a better education than what I got.

That's me. I actually had a good time socially, but learned nil at school.

I will not let me kids' brains waste away.

I was not homeschooled, but was in an alternative learning environment for 7th and 8th grades. There, I accelerated big time. I loved getting to go my own pace and study things of interest and such also. It really was great for me. This was a big change from when I started school several grade levels ahead of my age but made to go the same lock-step grade system of every other student. That drove me batty.

My hubby did homebound for most of 6th grade due to a health issue. He really noticed a difference in the social aspects for a kid like him.

Public school for me.

How we came to homeschooling--

Dd started to read very early, and I didn't want to give up my time with her--K is all day here. A friend was going to homeschool, and she was my inspiration. I was able to teach preschool when my boys were little, and they came to the same school (it was a co-op, in that parents came every day to help--it was multiage grouping, so I was literally their teacher); I did not take the same opportunity with dd, and I thought, Homeschooling seems like a good idea for her AND for me!

At the same time, eldest son was working as a page in the VA Senate as an 8th grader. He would come home on the weekends and live in a hotel in Richmond the rest of the week. I was driving him back to Richmond one Sunday evening when he leaned over and switched off the radio. He said, "I've been thinking about something. I've been thinking I want to be homeschooled."

I was very careful in my reply. I basically said, tell me about that. He then went on to vent a bit about his school experience. He wanted to read "something that mattered." He said, "If I have a question, I want to ask you and Dad, not some stranger." He said, "I want everything in one place" (hated changing classrooms at school). Because I knew he's got some Aspie characteristics, I could fully understand his POV.

I said, "Well, I would love to homeschool you, but I want you to pray about it. I want you to pray 3 things--First, I believe in asking God for what you want, so go ahead and ask him to let you homeschool. I want you to ask him to give great discernment to me and Daddy, and I want you to ask him to help you accept whatever answer we give you."

He said, "The thing is, I HAVE prayed about it." (Music to my ears--wow, my son actually has a spiritual life? Yea!)

"...And it's like when Dad became a priest--I feel called to homeschool."

Everything worked out from there.

Public schooled and after-schooled here... though, in the 1970s, we didn't call it that, either. I seem to recall my dad commenting recently that we just called it "living". With the time spent in my childhood on history, literature and scientific exploration, it is hardly any wonder that Classical homeschooling spoke to me when we were first investigating homeschooling as an option.

Growing up with a single working mom in the late 70s and 80s, homeschooling was basically unheard of. I had started school when I was 4, having been tested as a "genius" by a psychologist.

Well, it all went downhill from there. I got picked on in elementary school for being fat, had a really bad attitude about myself in Jr High and so my schoolwork totally went by the wayside (not to mention my self-esteem) and high school was a colossal joke (I had fun, don't get me wrong - but oh my gosh)

Suffice it to say I didn't go to college; I ended up going to Job Corps and working in the administrative assistant field up until 2006. I did excel in that field and was very good at it.

Then we decided that I should stay home. My dd ended up with the same "smart gene" that I had (have?). She is incredibly sensitive and would come home upset frequently. She also was not getting the education she needed to flourish. So I pulled her out and am now homeschooling! And you know what? I enjoy it! Well, for the most part....we have our days!:001_smile:

Public schools are awful! I totally sympathize with you. Maybe she'll come around when she sees what well-educated and well-adjusted kiddos you have. If not, oh well - she's from the "old-school" (no pun intended. Ok - yeah there was!) way of thinking.

;)

Nope public school right through. I wish my parents homeschooled me though, PS was a nightmare. They are so against hsing though, that my mom has told me that a horribleps experience was still better than being homsechooled. I hope that if/when my children have children they decide to homeschool them.

I was homeschooled for grades 9-12. My youngest brother was homeschooled for grades 2-12.

Snow White, you sound just like my dc. My high school son has been homeschooled since 9th grade but my younger ones have been homeschooled since 1st grade.

I wasn't homeschooled but I wish I had been or at least given the opportunity to attend a private school. I love my ps education through the elementary years up to 2 or 3rd grade. I didn't learn a thing in comparison to what my children are learning. :lol: I'm educating myself along with them. My dc couldn't believe I had not been taught formal geography, roman numerals or even how to measure with a ruler in ps. I had to figure those out later on my own. Pitiful!

Public school here...my mom wouldn't have considered it even if she'd heard of homeschooling! I'm old enough and I grew up in a smaller town...ps wasn't so bad. (I remember my 5th grade teacher crying as she announced we were no longer allowed to pray at school--then she led us in prayer!) By 8th grade I was bored...so bored that I asked the principal to send me to high school. He immediately had my teachers organize a special group of kids who did accelerated materials. I probably learned more in the last months of 8th grade than most of my high school years. Then I attended a small, private university for undergrad and a large, public university for my grad degree.

I went to ps k-12 and private college.

Want to hear a funny? My senior research paper was anti-homeschool! I just didn't see any good in it. Yet as my dd neared school age, there was never any question about it - we would hs! Funny what time and age will do to change your opinion of things!

Public School K-12. The worst years of my life. I wish my parents had done something to help me. Back when I was a kid no one we knew homeschooled. If you heard about it at all it was in relation to some wacky fundamentalist/anti-establishment wackos.

How we came to homeschooling:

The idea first got planted when we bought our house. The people we bought it from homeschooled. They had sent their kids to a local catholic school and she told us of the problems her dd was having, etc. Dh and I thought they were nuts homeschooling 4 kids when there was a perfectly fine elementary school down the block.

Fast forward a number of years-I become involved in a parenting website which had a homeschooling forum. I would glance at it every once in awhile but I still thought these people were loco. I worked full time and my kids attended the greatest day care. It was phenomanol. The teachers there were fantastic, the groups were small, they had an art studio, a gym, and numerous enrichment classes-gymnastics, dance, etc. My kids thrived all the way through Kindergarten.

Then came public school. My oldest started 1st grade at the wonderful school down the block. His first grade teacher. I love her. She was fantastic and I am grateful my dd had her too. He had a great first year in public school. Then came 2nd grade. The experience started going downhill. Ds had a good year but there were problems and I started thinking about alternatives. 3rd grade-another great teacher and academics wise-all was fine. Those other problems were still there and not improving. 4th grade-the teacher was very nice but not the greatest. My ds learned in spite of the teacher. Those other problems-worsened. To the point where ds developed trichotillomania and started talking about wanting to take shooting lessons. Dh and I knew we had to do something. But what? I mentioned homeschooling back in 2nd grade-no go. Again in 3rd-still no. So we explored our options -private school, another elementary school in the district, or homeshcooling. After I did all the research we went with homeschooling.

PS--Enjoyed school and the social network it provided. I would not have been a good kid to homeschool. Dislike being at home (tough for homebody parents ) for long and need lots of social stimulation.

I believe there's a good place for each child. PS isn't for everyone. Private isn't for everyone. Homeschool isn't for everyone, either. Thus far most of my children enjoy homeschool. When they need to spread their proverbial wings, we'll probably use the ps system and private high school.

Oh yeah, they are a pretty penny, but the are durable and the swinging just makes them soft and floppy and broken in, and they have been worth every penny seeing as I got babywearing out of them too. These things are built to last! Besides, my kids are asleep before 8pm every night guaranteed, even if the whole day was spent inside! Best investment I ever made.....

I use two long ones regularly now, a Hoppediz and a Bebina I got them both used from thebabywearer.com forums.

Looks like you could use a net-style hammock as well?

Hmmm.... I'm thinking it looks like great fun! Maybe we'll try it. :-) Thanks for the idea.