Menu

What is your fifth grade line up for LA?

ummtafari

I'm contemplating this right now for my ds who will be in 5th next year. Can't wait to read your replies! Right now, we use:

GWG4, Literature from TOG, and a mix of IEW Ancient history lessons and Writing Strands. We also use an old, out-of-print spelling program that I like. I think for next year, we'll do this:

Spelling: continue our current program and add in Megawords, as spelling is a weak area for him.

Grammar: Jr. Analytical Grammar (only 11 weeks!)

Writing: IEW SWI A. When this is done, we'll transition to Writing Aids using IEW concepts. We may also do some more Writing Strands

Literature: from TOG

I also do a read aloud at bedtime, so he will get more literature then too, only it won't be tied to history.

We keep it pretty simple & traditional. She'll be 9/10yo and in 5th grade.

CLE Reading (a first for us as we've used R&S Bible Nurture series 1-4th)

R&S English (this will be our 4th year using)

R&S Spelling

Copywork for handwriting

I may start a Greek/Latin Root program, but I may wait since DD has an excellent vocabulary.

Tons of assigned reading with discussion (don't have my list yet but it changes anyway).

Content writing in history/science.

This is the first year that I've known for sure what we'll be doing for LA the next year!

Greek for Children

English from the Roots Up

Spelling Power

First Language Lessons 4

Brave Writer with The Arrow

Sonlight Core 3 Advanced Readers

The Research Packet the comes with Sonlight Core 3

Writings Strands

My 5th grader's line up will be:

Rod and Staff English 5

Math U See Delta/Epsilon

Latina Christiana II

Spelling Wisdom

My Father's World:Creation to Greeks for Bible, History, Science, Music (composer studies) and Art

Mind Benders and Logic Games

Piano Music Lessons

Drama Co-op

Literature with My Father's World and some independent reading literature

My DD will be using....

Spelling Power

Michael Clay Thompson (Grammar Voyage, Essay Voyage, and Practice Voyage)

IEW - Medieval History Based Writing Lessons

A traditional handwriting workbook of some sort

Math-U-See Epsilon

SOTW2 with AG and various library books

Apologia - Astronomy (we are starting this spring & finishing up in the fall) and Zoo2

Independent reading

Independent creative writing

And whatever read alouds we do together

I'm up in the air about MCT's vocab and poetry still.

I think it's in my signature

spelling: megawords

grammar: growing with grammar 5

Literature with various guides (like progeny press and a couple I got for free) various novels including: Anne of Green Gables, Island of the Blue Dolphins, The Bronze Bow, and Midsummer's Night Dream

writing: outlining work for 9 weeks, then start on WriteShop

All of our choices seem to be going well. I'm impressed with the work dd has produced with WriteShop. We've only just started the 3 unit though.

Honestly, I lose track of the whole grade thing. I usually remember only because my son's best friend is about a year older, so I subtract a grade to figure out where my son would be.

For language arts this year, he's doing:

• CW-inspired writing: I'm doing only the writing portion of this and using my own samples to coordinate with our history agenda.
  • English Prep 2 (Galore Park) for reading comprehension, grammar, punctuation, etc. We're skipping the writing assignments, because we're doing the modified CW.
  • Word Roots B1 for vocabulary
  • Lots of reading coordinated with history

I think that's it.

I am still thinking about this. My older son will be 5th next year. Here is what I am leaning toward:

So you really want to learn English by Galore Park

Reading list Anciants from the WTM

I am looking at incorporating Outling, Teaching your children how to read Non-Fiction and Diagramming.

I just have a real dislike for most Grammar and Spelling Programs. I love Galore Park English. So I think that's what I am going for.

Susie

We're in 5th grade this year and for LA we use Rod and Staff 5 for grammar, Spelling Workout E (about to start F), dictation from The Harp and Laurel Wreath, readings from the booklist from WTM (Ancients), and some poetry memorization/copywork--free choice.

5th Grade LA next year:

R&S 5

SWO F

Vocabu-Lit F

WWE 3 (More for reading comprehension and articulation than writing)

Write Source 5

Latina Christiana I

Reading will be the books from History Odyssey MA II and an additional list of classics/Newberry winner's I've yet to put together.

And I'm thinking of using the Andrew Pudwea poetry program or something like it.

Reading will be the books from History Odyssey MA II and an additional list of classics/Newberry winner's I've yet to put together.

Dd is in 5th this year.

R&S Grammar

Spelling Workout finishing E then F

WTM reading lists.

Reading from science and history

Reading Detective/Building Thinking Skills/Logic puzzles

Latina Christian II

Also have her enrolled in Classical Conversations where she does IEW and more grammar.

I have two 5th graders this year, and this is what we've been doing for LA:

Grammar - Easy Grammar 6 (planning to use this over 2 years), Editor in Chief, Punctuation Puzzlers

Spelling - dd#1 - Sequential Spelling, dd#2 - Spelling Wisdom 2

Vocab/Roots - Word Roots

Writing - Outside writing Class

Lit/Reading - Lots of assigned books from history/science, Monthly book club w/ discussion

Poetry - Monthly poetry memorization, Sporadic Poetry Teas

Handwriting - Getty Dubay F

Also 2 foreign languages

Here is ours:

GWG5

Jump In!

Evan Moor Building Spelling Skills Daily Practice 5 (EMBSSDP)

Vocab. Workshop Orange (Sadlier-Oxford) Just because I have it.

WTM Ancients Reading list and others

Reading Detective:A1

Interesting reading.

I wonder if we're doing enough?

Spelling--SWR

Grammar--Rod and Staff 4

Writing--switching to CW Homer

Outlining--chapters and exerpts from various weekly recommendatins in the AG for SoTW3 1x/week

Book Summary (answering questions from WTM) for selected books (yet to be selected). 1x/month

Dictation 3x/week

Narrations (based on History) 2x/week

If Latin is considered part of Language Arts--then Lively Latin, too.

Classical Writing Beginning Poetry and Homer A

Spelling only from Writing Road to Reading, and Spelling City for independent study

Growing with Grammar 5

Latin for Children B

Spanish for Children A

Independent reading for History, Science, and Fiction

Read-alouds in the same categories

This is what I have planned for Gr. 5 for next year.

Writing: CW Homer A, CW Beginning Poetry

Spelling: Bartons Reading and Spelling--dd is mildly dyslexic, she can read well but has problems with spelling

Grammar: Mother Tongue I

Vocab: Vocab-U-Lit 5

Literature: we use the book list at AO, we will also be using Bullfinch's Mythology and Lamb's Shakespeare. My dd and I read the selection then just discuss.

This year, for fifth grade, I am using Spelling Workout (continuing the series we started in first grade). It is really functioning as a word study, too, at the level we're doing, but I've also added in some other miscellaneous workbooks for extra word study/dictionary skills work this year.

My son finished up a Getty Dubay Italics workbook earlier, and now he's doing some copywork in italics for reinforcement.

I've done some outlining, summarization, and other writing work with him and he has now started working in Wordsmith Apprentice.

He is working in Abeka grammar "God's Gift of Language" series, level B. This is a continuation from last year, when he did the level A book. It's nothing if not thorough.

I put together my own reading list related to our history studies. I'm also covering literary elements this year, using some things I found online (worksheets, etc.). I also still read literature aloud and discuss.

Some people count Latin studies in with their language arts. We have started Latin Primer I this year, after playing around with the Minumus series prior to this. My older son worked through that series so I already owned the teacher guides, videos, etc. That's mainly why I'm using it again. My son studies Spanish, as well.

SL Core 3 advanced readers

Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales from IEW for writing

Sequential Spelling for spelling

Rewards Secondary for reading

Winston Grammar for parts of speech

Daily Grams for grammar review

http://www.spellingconnectionsonline.com/game3.php for proofreading exercises

My dd is dyslexic, so she still needs reading instruction even though she is reading at grade level now. I would prefer to use Fix-it Grammar for proofreading, but the lowest level is too difficult for my dyslexic dd. I plan to have her work through all the proofreading exercises on spellingconnectionsonline and then switch her over to Fix-it.