Menu

Book a week in 2009 - Week 2 update

I saw that Kay didn't post the weekly update, so here it is.

Congratulations - we finished week 2 and ready to go for book 3. How is everyone doing?

Today it's time to start book #3. You can post here, and post a review if you want at the 52 books blog. Check and make sure your name is on the list there as well, whether you are a contributor or a participant. If you want to be a contributor, email me and I will send you an invite.

http://read52booksin52weeks.blogspot.com/

Feel free to join in at any time--Recapping the rules:

1. Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  2. Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  3. School related books don't count (unless you want them to)

I finished If There Be Dragons and two or three other books. Book # 3 for the challenge will be Sandra Brown's Unspeakable.

Weigh in on 6packofun's idea about having a rating system on this thread

Happy Reading

Edited by Mytwoblessings
fixed link for rating system thread

Week #1 - The Alienist by Caleb Carr - An old style serial murder mystery. Okay enough to read it in two days, not great enough to really and truly recommend it.

Week #2 - Total Recall (and NO, not the movie one) by Sara Paretsky - Female private eye. Not fun and funny like the Evanovich novels, and not as plucky and entertaining as Grafton's lead character, but I may try another one or two to see if they grow on me. (Easy to read in a couple of days.)

Anyone else struggling with the ease of reading junk in order to get a book a week done? I need to be reading Dante and Canterbury Tales, but they require a lot more time and energy. Kwim?

Is anyone else working on more than one book at once and overlapping weeks? I completed my first book a few days in (but I had started it before Jan 1) and I'm a few pages away from completing my second book.

But, I have a couple of other books on the go as well - there's a devotional that I started a few days ago and an audio book (Yes - I'm counting Audiobooks!) that I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

My weeks won't be neat and tidy with one book completed in each, but my overall goal is to read 52 books this year.

This past week I finished both Kluge and the Templars. Kluge was fasinating and I reconmmend it to anyone interested in how the brain functions. The Templar while a fasinating story told in an accurate historical way had kind of banal ending, which is unfortunately the case with history sometimes. Good for getting the final answer if you are interested in the Templars. I am currently readin Panic in Level 4. Also quite interesting.

I read Nickel and Dimed this week. Well, I listened to it instead. It was interesting and I am glad I took the time to finish it. Okay, I also read Skinny B**ch. I've been avoiding it but a friend handed it to me and I just could not help myself. It was offensive and funny and I had a lot of fun reading it. There, I feel better now that I got that off my chest. :D This week my PLAN is to read Stumbling into Happiness. However, you never know what my neighbors are going to suggest and derail all my plans!

Is anyone else working on more than one book at once and overlapping weeks? I completed my first book a few days in (but I had started it before Jan 1) and I'm a few pages away from completing my second book.

But, I have a couple of other books on the go as well - there's a devotional that I started a few days ago and an audio book (Yes - I'm counting Audiobooks!) that I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

My weeks won't be neat and tidy with one book completed in each, but my overall goal is to read 52 books this year.

I'm like you Sarah. I am reading Ruth Beecheck's The 3 R's (never read it) and a romance novel at the same time. No matter what I'm reading, I'm also reading a romance novel. I also have a Stephanie Plum waiting in the wings.

My daughter, however, is done with 3 books and is in the middle of "Strawberry Girl," and "A Little Princess." Ah to be a child again and have all of that free time.:glare:

Yes! I can never seem to read just one book at a time, I have a devotional book, plus scripture, and an audiobook in the car going at the moment. Hopefully it will all add up to 52 by New Year's. But I did finish Princess Academy by Shannon Hale for this week. It was a wonderful little story, quick read. I really liked it.

Now I'm into Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire for a bookclub at church. I don't think I would have picked it myself, but I'm only on page 13 so far and can't tell if I'll like it or not.

I'm like you Sarah. I am reading Ruth Beecheck's The 3 R's (never read it) and a romance novel at the same time. No matter what I'm reading, I'm also reading a romance novel. I also have a Stephanie Plum waiting in the wings.

My daughter, however, is done with 3 books and is in the middle of "Strawberry Girl," and "A Little Princess." Ah to be a child again and have all of that free time.:glare:

Aw...Strawberry Girl and A Little Princess - sounds lovely.

I don't know how you keep a romance on the go continually. I really enjoy a good Dean Koontz novel as my light reading, but as soon as I start one I have trouble putting it down so my other books collect dust until I've finished it. I imagine I'd be the same way with a romance novel as I'd just want to get to the end of it and find out what happens!

Week 2 was The Princess and the Goblin (loved it)

Week 3 is The Princess and Curdie. I'm also re-reading Wuthering Heights to prepare for Masterpiece Classic this Sunday.

George MacDonald is a brilliant story teller. I plan on reading Phantastes and giving Lilith another go in a few months.

Edited by Karenciavo

Week 2 was The Princess and the Goblin (loved it)

Week 3 is The Princess and Curdie

George MacDonald is a brilliant story teller. I plan on reading Phantastes and giving Lilith another go in a few months.

I read The Princess and the Goblin for week 1. I really enjoyed that book.

The Princess and Curdie will be a selection for me in a few weeks.

Aw...Strawberry Girl and A Little Princess - sounds lovely.

I don't know how you keep a romance on the go continually. I really enjoy a good Dean Koontz novel as my light reading, but as soon as I start one I have trouble putting it down so my other books collect dust until I've finished it. I imagine I'd be the same way with a romance novel as I'd just want to get to the end of it and find out what happens!

Sometimes I can't put it down and I fall asleep reading:blush: tee hee. But, normally, I pace myself because there is SO MUCH to do - sigh. I think that's why we're going the Sonlight route. All my kids and I want to do is read:D

Well, I fell a little behind this week. I was on the road driving my daughter back to school and stopping for a museum field trip, which ate four days of my week. So, I'm not quite done with my week 2 book, In Cold Blood. I have less that 100 pages to go, though, and may finish it today.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It's what I suppose could be called "compellingly written," in the sense that once I start reading I do feel pulled along to find out what happened. But I'm also finding it a bit depressing to spend so much time with such unhappy, damaged people.

I definitely need something more cheerful for next week.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It's what I suppose could be called "compellingly written," in the sense that once I start reading I do feel pulled along to find out what happened. But I'm also finding it a bit depressing to spend so much time with such unhappy, damaged people.

That's how I feel about Wuthering Heights.

That's how I feel about Wuthering Heights.

Actually, I agree completely. I finally got around to Wuthering Heights in December, after picking it up and putting it down many times over the years. I downloaded the audiobook version and listened to it on one of my drvies up to Virginia. I'm glad I finally got through it, and I did find myself holding my breath to find out what happened in each chapter. But, when it was all over, I just felt emotionally drained. Unlike a lot of tragic novels, this one didn't feel cathartic to me. Instead of allowing me a path to release my own sadness, it seemed to add to it.

I'm still chewing on it, though, waiting for understanding.

Last week I finished "Raising Naia", a book about a family who finds out the baby the wife is carrying will have Down Syndrome. It goes thru their decision about keeping the pregnancy and the first few years of their life with their daughter. A very touching book!

I am starting "The End of the Spear". I've heard so many good things about this book and can't wait to read the whole story.

I am reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks and *really* enjoying it! Brooks won the Pulitzer for March and I plan to read that next.

People of the Book was "Best of the Month" in January of last year and here is the synopsis:

One of the earliest Jewish religious volumes to be illuminated with images, the Sarajevo Haggadah survived centuries of purges and wars thanks to people of all faiths who risked their lives to safeguard it. Geraldine Brooks, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of March, has turned the intriguing but sparely detailed history of this precious volume into an emotionally rich, thrilling fictionalization that retraces its turbulent journey. In the hands of Hanna Heath, an impassioned rare-book expert restoring the manuscript in 1996 Sarajevo, it yields clues to its guardians and whereabouts: an insect wing, a wine stain, salt crystals, and a white hair. While readers experience crucial moments in the book's history through a series of fascinating, fleshed-out short stories, Hanna pursues its secrets scientifically, and finds that some interests will still risk everything in the name of protecting this treasure. A complex love story, thrilling mystery, vivid history lesson, and celebration of the enduring power of ideas, People of the Book will surely be hailed as one of the best of 2008.

I'll grade it after I finish, but so far I'm giving it a B+ !

Same here, that's how I am every year. I've been making 52 books in 52 weeks my goal the last few years.

I've just finished reading "Is there a nutmeg in the house?" by Elizabeth David. This is a fun read for those foodies among us! It's a collection of short articles by the author on all sorts of different food and food history topics. I can't agree with everything she says though, I like my garlic press!

I've also read through my MOTL package, having received that earlier in the week, and am nearly finished "Your Child's Growing Mind" by Jane M. Healy. I must have read too much of this sort of stuff because I'm not finding much I haven't read before. She keeps going on about deaf children or deaf parents and their hampered language ability. That really annoys me. If she means hampered English ability, she should say that. Ok, pet rant there.

This week, I think I'll go for something outrageously academic like a novelisation of "Zorro." :)

Hubby is on the couch finishing an Adrian Plass book. A "blast from his past" discovered in a box in the shed while on a mission to find something else entirely, earlier this week. He also read another chapter of "The China Study." I wish he'd just finish it so we can give it back to the owner!

:)

Rosie

Finished third book late last night - My Antonia by Willa Cather. As another poster said (Sarah), I usually have more than one book going at a time, but as I read My Antonia, I just didn't even think about those other books!

Started fourth book earlier today - O Pioneers! by Willa Cather.

I finished my third in the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, The Indigo King. I really enjoyed it--makes me want to brush up on my Arthurian mythology, as well as ancient Greek.

612zl8ab5FL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is the last published in this series, so I'll have to take a break for a while.

Next week my sister in law is visiting, so I"m looking for some brain candy that I can read in an evening. Therefore, back to an old favorite author, but a new book to me:

51F9J8S5V8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Ugh! I'm a little behind. Dd picked up some books from the Libs and I started to read them instead. I began and finished 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones & Theater Shoes. I know they are children's books but goodness I just enjoy anything by Noel Streatfield(sp?) Fond memories from childhood. I am also halfway through another Gail Levine fairytale. Her takes on well known stories are fabulous. I didn't like her modern stuff as much. Too mature for the intended audience imo. Thus, I am only 2/3 way through the Randy Pausch book, which is wonderful. Will endeavor to finish tonight. Don't know what to start for this week. Hmmm . . .