Menu

"The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating" (or are you?)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to add that if you aren't a fan of beets, try tossing them with olive oil and vinegar. We do this with quite a few vegetables: beets (and the tops after steaming them), cooked carrots, zucchini (balsamic vinegar), and others.

I grew up in a family where vegetables were steamed or boiled and served. No salt or anything else to enhance their flavor. And they were usually overcooked. My dh is Italian and his family uses a lot of olive oil, vinegar, salt, and herbs to flavor everything. I LOVE vegetables now. :001_smile:

a cookie or dessert recipe that incorporates the healthful foods?

I have to admit I haven't figured out a way to incorporate cabbage or swiss chard into any desserts.;) Blueberries, of course, are easy: I use frozen blueberries in pancakes, muffins, gingerbread, coffee cake, cheescake (topping). You probably have a lot of recipes for those things. Cinnamon and canned pumpkin are easier, too. We do tend to eat a fair amount of fresh, baked squash, which I imagine is a better source of nutrients than anything canned. But as long as you're making desserts (and I make a lot of them!), it's nice to toss in a few healthy ingredients like oats and canned pumpkin. This cookie recipe is a good example. Cindy is a friend who used to post on these boards, btw.

Cindy's Pumpkin Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups softened butter

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup sugar*

1 15-oz. canned pumpkin

1 egg

1 t vanilla

4 cups flour*

2 cups oatmeal

2 t baking soda

2 t cinnamon

1 t salt

2 cups chocolate chips

Combine flour, oats, soda, cinnamon, & salt. Cream butter & sugar. Beat in pumpkin, egg, & vanilla. Add dry ingredients to and cream together. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop onto ungreased sheet (or use parchment paper) and bake 10-12 minutes at 350.

*I use the 2 cups brown sugar along with a 1/2 cup or so of agave nectar. For the flour, I tend to use a variety, e.g. whole wheat pastry flour along with a cup or so of whole wheat. I almost add a spoonful or two of things like wheat germ and/or ground flaxseeds to most baked goods.

This recipe for Date Bars doesn't include any of the ingredients on the list I shared, but I thought I'd share it anyway in case you're interested:

Date Bars

1 lb dates, pitted and chopped

2/3 c packed brown sugar

2/3 c orange juice

1 t vanilla

1 T lemon juice

1 1/2 c rolled oats

1 1/2 c flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup butter

In a small saucepan, combine first five ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar & baking soda in large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture becomes crumbly. Press half of crust evenly into greased 9x13Ă¢â‚¬ pan. Spread date mixture in and top with remaining oatmeal mixture (pressed slightly into filling). Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

I'm out of time for the moment. I have a yummy blueberry gingerbread recipe from Heidi of Mt. Hope (a poster here); I'll try to rustle that up and share it later.:)

Most of the foods mention we eat on a regular basis. I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many here do, too! I am always saddened when I visit friends/relatives and there's not a fruit or vegetable around. :( I think of the typical American diet as fast or processed food, Wonder Bread, and plenty of that "other" food group: anything that ends in "itos" (a.k.a., the nacho cheese group LOL). Maybe things are turning around! I hope so...

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful recipes, Colleen-- I can't wait to try some!

PS. I don't find Turmeric very strong flavored at all... though it is a component of curry I don't find it tastes like curry...:confused: Maybe it's my brand? Anyway, I add it to lots of dishes with great success. YMMV

...of the canned variety (shudder), as was asparagus (double shudder)...

Canned asparagus should never, ever have been allowed. What a repulsive, repugnant thing! Those lovely, lovely asparagi reduced to a stringy, mushiness so vile I hate to even contemplate it...

Some things can tolerate being canned: pumpkin, beans, stewed tomatoes... But not asparagus.

Oh, I think I'm going to be *ill*...

YES!

Well, you could make a beet & sardine pie and it wouldn't be a yucky as Swiss Chard. No, I've never had it and never will. It just sounds yucky. :ack2:

....... I was overcome with visions of dh eating pickled beets right outta the jar. :ack2: ...........

.... Sorry. All I know is that after dh eats the entire jarful of them, he HAS to kiss me. That in and of itself is enough to make me swear off the things for LIFE!!! :blink:...

You really are making me :drool5:.......Pickled beets straight out of the jar! MMMMMM........You should give that man two kisses just to get a taste!!!!!

I'm no cook. (Dh does our a lot of our cooking.) Does the process of pickling involve heat? The article says beets lose some of their antioxidants when heated.

The vinegar probably either destroys some nutrients or causes some to migrate into the juice too, I guess. :glare:

Edited by Blessedfamily

One tip for those who like (or would like to like) sardines and to cook with them. Try Sprats. Sprats are sardines that have been lightly wood smoked prior to being tinned. The smoke add a wonderful complexity to the flavor and makes for a subtle improvement in the texture.

We enjoy broiling Sprats in a oven-proof dish in their own oil in a toaster oven until they get slightly crispy. Delicious accompanied with rice.

Sprats are also delicious sauteed (and roughly mashed) with lots of garlic and good olive (squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end) as a sauce for spaghetti (no tomatoes). Mmmm.

Bill

tThanks, Bill. That sounds delicious. Actually, I am imagining something like the pasta sauce, but maybe with halved grape tomatoes just warmed at the end... :drool5:

A small amount of "umami" can go a long way toward enhancing other flavors and creating an exciting taste sensation.

I commonly mash an anchovy into my homemade salad dressings, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard individuals (who would loudly and vociferously declare how much they hate anchovies) tell me that it was the best salad they've ever had. :lol:

I agree. I actually don't care for anchovies, themselves, but do enjoy the flavor they lend to many things, in the same way that I like fish sauce. Maybe their taste is just "too" when they're not melted into something else.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/the-11-best-foods-you-arent-eating/?em

Since karenciavo posted a list the other day of foods that are serial killers (;)), I thought I'd offer this list of the 11 Best Foods You [supposedly] Aren't Eating. I'm wondering, looking at the list, if people really aren't eating most of these things regularly. Pretty much all of them are standard around here, with the exception of sardines. I should buy them more often. The other thing on the list that we don't eat too terribly often is turmeric. I use it in some dishes ~ like a delicious mixed vegetable curry ~ but I can't say it's a daily staple. Take a look and see what you might consider adding to your food mix in 2009!:)

Thanks so much for that article, Colleen - I've absolutely NEVER seen beets down here but I'll look. Tumeric is never available - I've looked. :) Poms I can't ever remember seeing either. My kids love them though and we always get them when we come back to the US as it is usually Fall and they are in season. Holy moly. Cabbage we get, swiss chard we get (but don't eat - spinach is much easier to find in the mercados so we eat it instead), prunes are spotty as they are very expensive and blueberries are always fresh, always incredibly expensive (like $70/kilo) so we don't eat those either. We never get canned pumpkin (just can't find it here) but eat lots of it cooked and fresh. It is very common but not canned. We even eat it candied - this is very common. Pumpkin seeds are very common but we don't eat them - I'm going to start getting them though. Sardines we (except me) eat a decent amount of. I do fish oil capsules. Cinnamon we eat a decent amount of in french toast.

My kids eat oatmeal with cinnamon or sliced bananas with cinnamon nearly everyday. The chard, beats, and sardines we don't eat. I've tried to make chard and other greens and I don't know how to do it right- they always come out soggy. However, we eat fresh fish twice a week for the good fats, so I think we're okay on the sardines. And we eat other greens and fruit regularly.

Well, you could make a beet & sardine pie and it wouldn't be a yucky as Swiss Chard. No, I've never had it and never will. It just sounds yucky. :ack2:

Time for a swiss chard story. About twelve years ago, I shared a CSA membership with a neighbor. Every week, the box seemed to contain massive quantities of kale and swiss chard. My friend loved kale and wasn't too keen on chard so she ran off with the former while I took the latter.

We ate sauted chard with ginger and garlic, chard leaves wrapped around a rice stuffing... What else was I to do without a world of Internet recipes? I decided that if a recipe called for spinach, I would make it with chard. Chard quiche? I made it. Then I made calzone with chard/ricotta/mozzarella filling, calling it "spinach calzone" because my then four or five year old son had had his fill of chard two or three times a week.

I'll never forget. The calzone was tasty so I blurted out without thinking, "Chard Calzone is not half bad." I cannot describe my son's face. It was not so much revulsion at what he was eating but a reaction to the realization that His Mother Had Lied to Him.

My son now pretends that chard is despicable, but if you saute it with garlic and ginger, I promise The Boy will have more than his share.

Bon Appetit,

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

Beets are my children's favorite!!

The only item we don't have regularly around the house are sardines. We love fish but I don't much care for it canned.

We eat a HUGE amount of dark greens including swiss chard, kale, turnip greens, beet greens, mustard greens, etc. Just throw them in soup. Yum. I even add some to normal trashy old canned chicken noodle soup.

Edited by Daisy

I love sardines from Vital Choice Seafood. They are so worth the money! I pay 3.40 per can ( I always get free shipping because I order them with my omega-3 vitamins or something else) and my supermarket isn't much cheaper.

I need to put prunes and pumpkin seeds on my Trader Joe's list.

Everything else I already eat.

Pomegranate, I like the fruit but am not thrilled with the juice. I love pomegranate season!

Tumeric, I usually sprinkle on fish.

If you have a well stocked Indian or Asian market you might find fresh turmeric (often labeled with its Indian name "Haldi"). It looks roughly like a carrot-colored ginger root, but is more petite.

I find it much more pleasant to cook with than ground turmeric, which can be about as interesting as "dust" once its sat on a shelf. I suspect fresh turmeric has more nutritional benefit as well. It sure tastes better!

Bill

We eat just about everything regularly - pomegranate juice is something of a treat (we just don't do juice a lot), tumeric appears in places, prunes are a rarity just because we eat a lot of other dried fruit. I can't seem to develop a fondness for sardines; that's really the only thing we don't eat.

Pumpkin is great in muffins, tea breads, pancakes. Beets generally get wedged, tossed in olive oil, salt & pepper, then roasted in a hot oven (~400-450 depending on what else I'm making), sometimes with other root veggies, so that may be an option for those who have beet-adverse family members. (I've also found that growing just about anything or getting it from our CSA turns aversion into excitement - my kids love hakuri salad turnips, too)

So, does anyone have a technique or cooking method for me to try with sardines or kippers? I'm open to anything, love all cuisines... obviously, I just need inspiration in this area.

We're running maybe 50/50. Beets, cabbage, cinnamon, sardines (not the kids), pumpkin seeds (meh...not loads), and frozen blueberries are all consumed rather frequently. But, not prunes, pomegranate juice, turmeric, or Swiss chard. Spinach and beet greens show up on our plates more often than chard -- I wonder why chard is singled out here?

Angela ;) -- we don't do anything very special with our sardines. We serve them with good crackers or crusty bread, hard cheese(s), thin sliced apple, olives. Often a few tbsp. of salsa or hot sauce on the sardines to liven them up. And, always a bottle of wine. The only thing special about the meal is that it is definitely an "Adult Only" meal (sardines have a way of clearing out any nearby kids), so we have calm, peaceful surroundings, and generally the opportunity for some nice ambiance - candles, good music, quiet conversation. Sardines are the makings of our happy meal!

Can someone suggest a variety of ways to prepare beets?

We had a chef cook at our home for a dinner party once and he took the whole beet (it was small) washed it, trimmed the greens and baked it for about an hour at a high temp (400)...i can't remember if he covered it? Anyway, my dh loved it (garnish for the salad) and he HATES beets...

edit~~~I see cooking them reduces the nutrition (logical)...but hey if you wouldn't eat them uncooked then perhaps you still come out ahead by cooking them so you will?

Edited by homeschoolmomtutu

We're running maybe 50/50. Beets, cabbage, cinnamon, sardines (not the kids), pumpkin seeds (meh...not loads), and frozen blueberries are all consumed rather frequently. But, not prunes, pomegranate juice, turmeric, or Swiss chard. Spinach and beet greens show up on our plates more often than chard -- I wonder why chard is singled out here?

Angela ;) -- we don't do anything very special with our sardines. We serve them with good crackers or crusty bread, hard cheese(s), thin sliced apple, olives. Often a few tbsp. of salsa or hot sauce on the sardines to liven them up. And, always a bottle of wine. The only thing special about the meal is that it is definitely an "Adult Only" meal (sardines have a way of clearing out any nearby kids), so we have calm, peaceful surroundings, and generally the opportunity for some nice ambiance - candles, good music, quiet conversation. Sardines are the makings of our happy meal!

Heh heh. I see you people with your hoards of sardines... and think you might be a little mental. Or wonder why everyone is hoarding canned fish. :001_huh: Now I know.

Actually, I think that's the only way I've ever had them - on crackers - and seem to recall being more skeeved out by the little bones and skin than the actual flavor. It's been 25 years or so, though. I may have to dive in for a can the next time they hit the splits.

We will not even wander into the evil that thought to can asparagus. I'm sure that's a crime against nature.

The only thing special about the meal is that it is definitely an "Adult Only" meal (sardines have a way of clearing out any nearby kids), so we have calm, peaceful surroundings, and generally the opportunity for some nice ambiance - candles, good music, quiet conversation. Sardines are the makings of our happy meal!

Always the odd man out, I'll have you know our young William loves sprats.

He's especially fond of them rolled with rice in a sheet of seasoned laver sea-weed (similar to sushi nori) that Koreans call "kim". :D

And I have the nerve to think some of you all have weird ideas :lol:

Bill

Ok, I just have to ask: why on earth would they put "canned" pumpkin on the list instead of just pumpkin? Is there a reason? I don't even think we have canned pumpkin in Australia, plenty of the fresh stuff though.

And for the record, I would like to align myself with the beet AND sardine lovers :) And I guess all our Russian grandmothers were right to make us eat Borscht at least one a week :lol:

Does anyone know if the golden beets are as nutritious as the red ones? We grew the golden ones in the garden last year and turned everyone around here from beet haters to beet lovers.

I honestly don't know, though I imagine you can find the nutritional stats with a quick google. But regardless, if the choice is "no beets at all" versus "golden beets only", the latter option wins, hands down. Enjoy!:)

Can someone suggest a variety of ways to prepare beets?

I love beets and I know I should eat them a lot but all I ever do, is peel them and bake them slow at F250. If you eat them raw, you peel and slice them into salad? Or...?

Sometimes I do just roast them, along with other root veggies. In the summer, I grate them raw into salads. My favorite way to eat beets, though, is Harvard beets-style. Boil them until just tender. When they're cool enough to handle, peel and dice them. Toss them with a splash of vinaigrette (sp?): heated butter, brown sugar, & red wine vinegar. Delish!

Prunes are good. We eat them. I think it is silly to call them dried plums.

Oh, now we were saying just the opposite at dinner tonight. Dried apples are called dried apples. Dried apricots are called dried apricots. Why are some foods~ prunes and raisins, for examples ~ are commonly known by a different name than just "dried (fill in the fruit)"? These are the burning questions that keep me awake at night!:tongue_smilie:

Beet recipe also has pumpkin seeds - and occasionally I'll add pomegranate seeds! It is sooooo good and healthy. Although the beets are cooked, I love that it uses the whole beet, greens and all. It comes from the Feeding the Whole Family cookbook.

Luscious Beet Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

Salad

4 large beets

1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted

1 bunch beet greens

2 scallions, finely chopped

1/4 lb. feta cheese (I use goat cheese) - optional

Dressing

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon finely chopped basil

Wash beets and remove tops. Place beets in a large pot filled with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until beets are tender (about an hour). Set aside to cool for an hour. Note: I occasionally roast them in the oven instead.

Toast pumpkin seeds by placing seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat. Move the skillet back and forth over the heat with one hand; stir the seeds using a wooden spoon with the other hand. This will toast the seeds evenly and prevent burning. When seeds begin to pop and give off a nutty aroma they are ready. Remove seeds from the skillet and set aside.

To prepare beet greens, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Wash beet greens by submerging the bunch in a sink full of cold water. Shake off water and chop the bunch into bite-size pieces. Drop greens into boiling water and let it cook for about 30 seconds, just enough to make the stems tender. Place greens in a colander and run cold water over them to halt cooking.

Place all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Peel beets and cut into small cubes. Note: The best way I have found to peel beets is to take a paper towel and rub off the peel. It makes the job less messy and hands don't turn red.

Squeeze excess water out of the cooked beet greens. Put cubed beets, beet greens, pumpkin seeds, and scallions in a salad bowl. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently. Crumble feta or goat cheese on top if desired. At this point, sometimes I will also add pomegranate seeds. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Give it a try - even all you beet detesters. It's sooo yummy - I eat leftovers for breakfast!

Why are some foods~ prunes and raisins, for examples ~ are commonly known by a different name than just "dried (fill in the fruit)"? These are the burning questions that keep me awake at night!:tongue_smilie:
Well, we call poultry what it is (e.g. chicken, duck, goose) but not the larger mammals... pork, beef... but then, we call lamb "lamb" unless it's old, then it's mutton, and goat is referred to as goat. What's that about?!?!

Maybe "prune" is onomatopoeic. We use it because that's the French word for plum.

And raisins... don't the French call them raisins, too? "Raisins sec"? It's their fault. We'll blame the French for these inexplicable euphemisms.

Ack. You're not the only one that will be kept awake by culinary linguistics. The meat thing really is inexplicable.

Well, we call poultry what it is (e.g. chicken, duck, goose) but not the larger mammals... pork, beef... but then, we call lamb "lamb" unless it's old, then it's mutton, and goat is referred to as goat. What's that about?!?!

Yes, one wonders. My boys have often asked, "Why don't we just say 'We're eating cow' instead of 'We're eating beef'?" (Hmmm....Let's take that our for a marketing spin: "Beef. It's what's for dinner." versus "Cow. It's what's for dinner." I think we know which one goes over better.:tongue_smilie:)

Maybe "prune" is onomatopoeic. We use it because that's the French word for plum. And raisins... don't the French call them raisins, too?

That's what we surmised. It's a frog thing.;)

"Culinary linguistics"...I like that! I could enjoy a whole class in culinary linguistics ~ assuming the lectures were accompanied by food & wine.:)

Yes, one wonders. My boys have often asked, "Why don't we just say 'We're eating cow' instead of 'We're eating beef'?" (Hmmm....Let's take that our for a marketing spin: "Beef. It's what's for dinner." versus "Cow. It's what's for dinner." I think we know which one goes over better.:tongue_smilie:)

Except, Colleen (dear wife of a dairy-farmer) aren't cows only female cattle? And could beef not just as well be "steer"? Wouldn't we have to say, "Bovine. It's what's for dinner"? :D

Bill

That's what we surmised. It's a frog thing.;)

"Culinary linguistics"...I like that! I could enjoy a whole class in culinary linguistics ~ assuming the lectures were accompanied by food & wine.:)

I have heard that this DID come from the French. French was high class in England so our word beef came from their French words instead of the Saxon/OE words.

I dont get canned pumpkin. I've never had it. The real thing is not expensive and available year around around here. Must admit that it can be a pain to cut.

The rest...well, I cant say I eat them all regularly, but they are all a part of my varied diet!

And I am sure I could add plenty more to that list too. I feel its kind of arbitrary. However, I wont be picky, anything that gets people eating well is good in my book.

Sometimes I do just roast them, along with other root veggies. In the summer, I grate them raw into salads. My favorite way to eat beets, though, is Harvard beets-style. Boil them until just tender. When they're cool enough to handle, peel and dice them. Toss them with a splash of vinaigrette (sp?): heated butter, brown sugar, & red wine vinegar. Delish!

Thank you! I needed some *beet inspiration*! This thread reminded me to buy some beets so we had them grated in salad tonight. :001_smile:

Boeuf.

Ok, and further investigation points to the French for pork ("porc"... English is so vulgar, sticking ks and zs everywhere) which got to them from the Latin "porcus".

Though "poisson" to "fish" is a stumper. "Piscis" to "fish" really seems to imply a mass speech impediment somewhere.

I love the word etiology game!

I commonly mash an anchovy into my homemade salad dressings, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard individuals (who would loudly and vociferously declare how much they hate anchovies) tell me that it was the best salad they've ever had. :lol:

I also mash it in with the garlic paste in my spaghetti sauce, esp. when it's a meat-free sauce. (Unless it's meat-free because I'm serving vegetarians, in which case I would only do it if I knew they ate fish.)

We're doing pretty good. Lots of beets during the summer since we grow them, but I don't buy them out of season. Pomegranate juice is really expensive; I would have more if it didn't cost so much.

Sardines are awful. The smell alone would drive me out of the house. Brings back memories of my mom eating sardine/cracker sandwiches. Barf!!!

Janet

I also mash it in with the garlic paste in my spaghetti sauce, esp. when it's a meat-free sauce. (Unless it's meat-free because I'm serving vegetarians, in which case I would only do it if I knew they ate fish.)

Now I know what I'm adding to tonight's dinner menu :D

Bill

I sort of like pickled asparagus. I love fresh asparagus, but I don't think pickled is so bad. Is it?

Wow. I've never even heard of pickled asparagus!

My first reaction is "ick!", but on further contemplation, maybe it wouldn't be so bad... I still expect I'd *prefer* it fresh. But I'd give pickled a shot.

When I was referring to "canned", but the way, I really meant the "in a can" stuff. I haven't tried home canned (jarred). It's possible that wouldn't be *quite* as vile as the commercial stuff.

Aside from curry, are there other dishes you make that use turmeric?

Here's one I've posted before:

Persian Lime Chicken

Basically, you marinate (overnight, or a day or so) chicken in lime juice, turmeric, onions, grape tomatoes, garlic. Then grill the chicken, onions, and tomatoes.

Serve with lavash bread and melted butter mixed with more lime juice (to drizzle over the grilled chicken). Sort of middle Easternish, so I serve with basmati rice with raisins/almonds, tzatziki, fruit salad.

Hmmm. Someone will want amounts.

Well, enough lime juice to half-cover the chicken (maybe a couple of cups? - at least a cup). Keep squishing it around in the bowl or plastic bag you marianate it in.

Maybe a tablespoon of turmeric - so that the lime juice is good and bright yellow/orange.

Chunks and chunks of onions.

Several cloves of garlic (maybe 3-6?).

Here's one I've posted before:

Persian Lime Chicken

Basically, you marinate (overnight, or a day or so) chicken in lime juice, turmeric, onions, grape tomatoes, garlic. Then grill the chicken, onions, and tomatoes.

Serve with lavash bread and melted butter mixed with more lime juice (to drizzle over the grilled chicken). Sort of middle Easternish, so I serve with basmati rice with raisins/almonds, tzatziki, fruit salad.

Hmmm. Someone will want amounts.

Well, enough lime juice to half-cover the chicken (maybe a couple of cups? - at least a cup). Keep squishing it around in the bowl or plastic bag you marianate it in.

Maybe a tablespoon of turmeric - so that the lime juice is good and bright yellow/orange.

Chunks and chunks of onions.

Several cloves of garlic (maybe 3-6?).

Mmmm. That sounds good.

Do you ever use the dried limes called "Omani limes" that Gulf Arabs and Persians are so fond of? I bet putting just a little finely chopped Omani lime into the marinade would make this dish out of this world.

Bill