Menu

What's the WORST place in America to live?

I need to be where the New Yorkers are. When I say New Yorkers I don't mean the Dutch of upstate, I mean NEW YORKERS. I don't know what it is, the tell it like it is attitude? The sense of humor? It's just funny no matter where I've lived I've always gravitated toward those people. I live in South Jersey now and my closest friends are from Yonkers, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and Bayonne (North Jersey counts :D) Some people who aren't from NY have a New York state of mind so to speak and I enjoy being with them too. I had a close friendship with a woman from Appalachia who had this type of personality, she's great! Other than that, as long as I don't have to check my shoes in the morning for scorpions I think I'm good.

Then you ought to move to NC!:lol::lol::lol::lol: I know TONS of New Yorkers.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, Indiana...I lived just outside of it growing up and going into it was a bundle of nerves for everyone..."Roll up your windows, lock the doors, and don't look at anyone" was the common line when driving through it...Every day it seemed someone new was shot, robbed, etc...I would never, ever, ever move there...I don't even know if there is a good place in Gary anymore...

Small, not-even-on-the map towns are awful, IMO. Lived in Nebraska for 10 months in a booming town of 500 people, flashing yellow light, and three bars, surrounded by fields and cow dung. Nearest grocery store and library was 20 min. drive. Closest mall was 2 hours. It was H*LL. Worst place is any tiny town where everyone knows everyone else (and everyone else's business).

I love Austin, TX but it's been listed as the worst place to live if you have allergies.

I need to be where the New Yorkers are. When I say New Yorkers I don't mean the Dutch of upstate, I mean NEW YORKERS. I don't know what it is, the tell it like it is attitude? The sense of humor? It's just funny no matter where I've lived I've always gravitated toward those people. I live in South Jersey now and my closest friends are from Yonkers, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and Bayonne (North Jersey counts :D) Some people who aren't from NY have a New York state of mind so to speak and I enjoy being with them too. I had a close friendship with a woman from Appalachia who had this type of personality, she's great! Other than that, as long as I don't have to check my shoes in the morning for scorpions I think I'm good.

We moved to our particular neighborhood when DH heard it nicknamed "Yankeeville..or worse, Texas 'New York'." We found our home :) Dh is such the NYer. There are more native NYers here than native Texans.

I love Detroit. Grew up near Detroit. My dad worked downtown and I went to a university on the east side. Cool town.

But, there are parts of Detroit that give me deep anxiety just driving through...days and days worth.

I moved to NYC in the early '90's. Shortly after Bernard Getz had shot several "youths" on the subway because they had attempted to mug him. The Centeral Park Jogger had just been raped and left for dead. There were riots in both Bensonhurst and Howard Beach. Some toursist from Utah, I think, visiting for the US Open where attacked and one of them killed on a subway platform in Manhattan. All of this to say, NYC is a very different place today than it was back then. Crime has dropped percipitously. The city is a kinder, gentler place these days. There are a lot of reasons for that, good government being one.

I'm hoping that Detriot and other similar cities experience their own rebirth. Even if that doesn't seem likely right now, who knows what the future will bring. Suprising things to happen.

It's a lie. There are definitely bad assignments:)

But I know what you mean - sometimes places that you wouldn't objectively think you will enjoy turn out to be great periods of your life for reasons unrelated to the landscape. We started our marriage at a tiny logistics base in southern GA that everyone warned us was dreadful. It really wasn't. We had three nice years there and made friends we still love.

That said, I had a good attitude about Georgia and a good attitude about San Diego, and if you are going to have a good attitude anyway, you might as well live somewhere you love and find to be beautiful.

Edited by Danestress

I had to live in Casper, Wyoming for a year and a half. If I never go back, it will be too soon.

First of all, it was boring, boring, boring. There was no where to go. At least I didn't have to worry about going out shopping and spending too much.

Second, the wind. The wind! Oh, the wind. Casper has the worst wind. When we first moved there, we were warned about how windy it was, and how the wind played a big factor in suicides there. "Normal" wind there would be gusts anywhere else, and the gusts there were scary. I would lay awake in bed at night, not being able to sleep because of the wind rattling the windows, and when it was gusty, I would wonder if the windows were going to break, or if the house would stay standing. Seriously.

Third, while it was called a "city" it was a small one, the downtown area was laughable...and any of the nearby towns were much smaller. To get to another city of similar size, we had to drive 3 hours. To get to a larger city, we had to drive 5 hours. I don't like small towns, or small cities... I like the options that a larger place brings.

Wow. See I had no idea that Casper was that windy. Maybe they should rename it the Windy City. Chicago just isn't THAT windy.

Where would I least like to live? Southern Minnesota, where I do live.

Oh my goodness, I live about an hour south of New Ulm. No offense, but I find this neck of Minnesota anything but pleasant. The winters are absolutely miserable, cold and nasty ice storms and the summers the air is so thick and wet and hot, plus you can't enjoy the outdoors because of the mosquitoes.

Since moving from Rapid City, South Dakota to Minnesota I have developed horrible SAD. The winters darned near do me in every year. Gray days are abundant here.

I have also noticed that people are not very friendly here. Yes, there are very nice and friendly people, but compared to the west where I'm from: Wyoming, Colorado and South Dakota, I notice a huge difference. Back home (west) people would smile at you and say hello at the grocery store or while you're out and about. Here? Nope. It's very cold in that regard.

Whenever we go "home" I always tell my son to pay attention to people, and he has noticed it--they're just friendlier and quick with a smile.

Even our neighbors are not friendly. I never see neighbors out talking like I have everywhere else I've lived.

Now, there are some positives: Housing costs are very low, and it's a very safe place. My husband loves his job, so moving isn't an option.

New Ulm is a pretty place, and we enjoy going there, but whenever we want to do something, we have to get in the car and drive, drive, drive.

We live in the middle of nowhere, with no bookstore. Oh, the horror. :tongue_smilie:

New Ulm is a nice town but it is really small, about as small as I can stand.

Minnesotians can be pretty reserved. I hope you find a few friendly's, though. :001_smile:

If you haven't already, please go to the Heritagefest/Octoberfest that New Ulm hosts every summer. It's a blast and you'll meet plenty of friendly people, drunk, but friendly.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
more

Well, since I grew up in Kansas City, not too far from TWA headquaters...:glare:. I loved that you could be in the city in 20 minutes and still drive around the country not too far from the airport. It was a great place to grow up, not a bad place to live as an adult, whatever.

My least likely place to move would be anywhere where ice and snow are a major factor in the winter.

Kansas City had it's positives. I remember eating at an excellent steak house. Different strokes for different folks? :001_smile:

Warner Robins/Macon, Georgia area!

I have to agree with you on this one. Not a whole lot there to recommend it.

My dad lived there in when he was in high school and really liked it. WR was a booming city then, though, because of Vietnam. When we used to visit there in the early '90s it just seemed so run down.

To those poor inmates living in these areas, no offense meant.

Inside the city limits of Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago or DC..... never never never! (Yes I have lived in two of the aforementioned and travelled extensively in the other two).

Remember... God's Country is South of the Mason-Dixon and East of California (well maybe East of Las Vegas) :-)

Well, obviously, you're not a city fella. I enjoyed Chicago very much, although I lived there for less than a year. I've visited DC several times and wouldn't mind living there at all. I'll put up with a certain amount of dirt, rudeness and crime to live in a large city.

I like NY'ers, too. My husband is one. :D Some of the best cooks I've ever met were ladies from NYC of a certain age. Especially if they were of Italian decent. Seven fishes on Christmas Eve, Yummy.

I'm agreeing with cathmom about Cary and New Yorkers. Most of the people I've met here are from NY or NJ. I had no idea when we moved here (Cary, NC) from Kansas City that I would be living amongst New Yorkers!

I still prefer NC to KS though as we have found so much to do here, and found it very difficult in Kansas City. Plus, I just can't give up my 2 hours drive to the beach!

--Laura

I live in Cincinnati which is an allergy haven (seriously, look in the phone book under ENT/Allergists!) and I would live anywhere that the air is DRY. The desert looks fabulous to me. But then, I take allergy medicine EVERY. DAY. OF. MY. LIFE. I would love to live in a place that has definite seasons. (Over the past 2 weeks we've had temps ranging from 16-70, the pollens and molds NEVER die!). Aside from that, Cincinnati is a fabulous place to live.

I think anyplace has it's good and bad points. Even cities have their nicer nooks and their crime-filled neighborhoods. There are a couple of areas here in Cincy that I avoid. PERIOD. And a few that I don't drive thru at night.

I am not a CITY person. But I also am not a country gal. So give me a suburban neighborhood in a dry area and I'd be delighted.

Detroit.

But I guess it depends on how you define "worst" - worst for crime, schools, jobs, beauty, people, weather? Detroit hits a negative on all of those for me (my apology to anyone who lives there :tongue_smilie:).

Worst means, worst for YOU, depending on your priorities, your needs, your likes and dislikes.

Ugh yes, Waterbury... we went to visit a friend who settled there once and it was awful. Bridgeport too. But, IMO most of the old mill towns in CT (and NE in general) have turned into armpits. I love the countryside and smaller towns though.

Anyway, MY worst place to live would be Florida-- a friend of mine used to live there and I visited frequently... hot, humid, buggy... NOT my cup of tea! Los Angeles would be a close second.

Worst means, worst for YOU, depending on your priorities, your needs, your likes and dislikes.

Well, in that case: For me, the worst place I ever lived was Missouri. It was a little better once I moved to Columbia (near the university), but I was just miserable there.

I should say this was 20 years ago, but at the time the racism and bigotry and general lack of both sense of humor and intellectualism drove me to tears on a regular basis. It was during that stage of my life that I started carrying a book everywhere and reading in any spare moments, largely because it protected me from having to engage in conversation with strangers.

I think the thing that made me madder than anything was the assumption that I was on board. I suppose I mostly look like your typical WASP, which I mostly am. However, it drove me insane with fury that people therefore felt it was "safe" to say things to me that I know they would never say directly to the people about whom they were speaking. I used to say that I needed a t-shirt that said, "I am not a member of your club."

Argh.

Add to that the lack of arts opportunities, and it was just miserable for me.

Well, I'm sure to offend someone, but I *loathed* Ithaca, NY. The town was so striated -- Cornell and Ithaca College up on the hills, the townies down below -- and the people were unfriendly, the food was awful (except for the seemingly endless chicken wing varieties, lol), the gorges were pretty and good for perpetrating the huge number of suicides that happened there... Everything was gray. Everything. The people, the sky, the ground. Except in summer when they had mosquitoes instead. (shudder).

On the other hand, other people in this thread have mentioned hating Los Angeles (where I lived for a decade and grew to love it!) and Albuquerque (where I wouldn't choose to live, largely because of the allergies, but I think there are lovely things about it too)...

I would have to say Florida. It's even hotter than here, there are MORE varieties of disgusting bugs, there are ALLIGATORS, it never snows, and there are a lot of hurricanes!

The snow is pretty, and it makes the cold winters up here worthwhile.

I hadn't thought about the bugs...

Florida.

I would rather live on the surface of the moon.

Astrid (don't throw anything--- JMHO!)

You know, I think it depends on where you live in Florida. We're in Orlando, and we find it tolerable. The weather is too warm for my taste and there are too many bugs, but it's not a bad place to raise kids. There are still enough open, green, wild areas to run around in, and there are enough educational and arts opportunities to make it livable for us. For now.

Of course, my daughter can't wait to finish her undergrad and move to NY for grad school. And I'm already starting to hint that maybe we should go with her, but . . .

I live in the capital district of NY. Prior to that I lived in Connecticut for 32 years. If you think Waterbury is bad, you haven't seen bad. I didn't live in Waterbury, but not far from it. The way some parts look where I live now makes the worst part in Connecticut look pretty darn nice.

I should also add that dh and I were "kids" from the country (NH/ME) when we moved to Waterbury (it was right after we got married). Talk about culture shock!

I know what you mean. I love New Yorkers! :001_smile:

ETA: I have loved visiting New York, and I hope to make another trip this year. It is high on my list of places to visit, but I don't think I would want to live there. I am still a country girl at heart.

Edited by beansprouts

You couldn't pay me to move back to the New Orleans area. Grew up there and every time I go back it gets worst. It's hot, crime is awful, the area is so run down. I'm sure I don't need to mention the little problem they have with hurricanes. The humidity is the worst.

I have fond memories of living near New Orleans as a child. I remember playing in flooded streets, catching beads at the parades, eating beignets in the French Quarter, ducking the large flying cockroaches... okay so nothing is perfect... :lol:

We seem to have a lot of threads related to moving. Of course, everyone wants to live in an ideal location, but that's not always possible.

So, in your experience, what's the worst place you've lived or visited? The place no amount of love or money could induce you to move to?

I've been really lucky. I've lived in some pretty nice places; Minnesota (St. Paul and New Ulm), Chicago, NYC, London and the beautiful Garden State - New Jersey.

When I worked, one of my clients was TWA, located in Kansas City, MO. Sorry if I'm offending any folks who love Kansas City, but boy, would I not want to live there.

Now, I loved living in NYC, but I completely understand if you think the Big Apple would be a living h*ll.

Where would you LEAST like to live and why?

I loved Kansas City!! One of the main reasons I love KC, is because it's close to my family. We moved to NC 8 years ago, and I have been trying to get back to KC ever since. I miss the snow and the barbeque. Dh is from NC and the kids consider NC home, so here we will stay.

Ugh yes, Waterbury... we went to visit a friend who settled there once and it was awful. Bridgeport too. But, IMO most of the old mill towns in CT (and NE in general) have turned into armpits. I love the countryside and smaller towns though.

I do see many of these old mill towns beginning to turn around now. At one point I lived in an old mill town in NH, which had a worse reputation than it deserved, IMO. It has cleaned up a lot since we left, and its residents are beginning to show some pride in their city.

Phoenix, AZ is on my do not live there list. We went in the summer one year to visit friends on the way to Flagstaff. Loved Flagstaff! But Phoenix was 120 in the shade and I felt like a turkey in the oven. When my friends started talking about summer habits of shopping and living before daylight then staying in all day, I knew I wasn't a vampire LOL.

I will not live in Philadelphia again.

If you have lived in Philly you'll understand.

Yeah. That. Exactly.

I would also never in this life or any other live in Atlanta. Dh was offered a job there last year that would have relieved a lot of financial pressure but I. will. not. live. in. Atlanta.

Tara

because of the wind and the heat. In the summer, I could feel the heat waves emanating from the Death Valley. In the spring, we were cooped up inside for weeks due to the winds. Long Beach was a lovely place to grow up in and Northridge was a great place during my college years, but the last time I drove through there with my little kids, it was scary with the gangs glaring at us. Minnesota was not friendly. I'm quite happy in Columbia, MO and I have to say that though there is still a lot of racism, there are quite a few mixed racial couples living here. I don't know of any homeschoolers besides me teaching Latin though.

Yeah. That. Exactly.

I would also never in this life or any other live in Atlanta. Dh was offered a job there last year that would have relieved a lot of financial pressure but I. will. not. live. in. Atlanta.

Tara

Yes, think something nice for us poor slobs stuck here... I think forever I fear. :tongue_smilie:

Not the "Garden State" part, but the armpit of America part right outside NYC.

I wouldn't mind living in Kansas City. I grew up in CT- but not Waterbury! Parts of Bridgeport are bad also.

I agree about Casper WY. Most of Wyoming is too windy for me most of the year.

I couldn't live away from the coast in the southeast- too hot. I love Arizona in the winter and spring, but I could not handle the heat in the summer.

No Nevada for me either.

Well, lets see...

Moving from California to Georgia... I really hated living in Lilburn -- but at 16, I probably would have hated any place my parents moved us :D

That said, I have absolutely ZERO desire to move back to Ft. Lauderdale. I have some fond memories of FBC and the choir/youth group -- but nothing else. I'm not a fan of being hot all. the. time.

In Ft. Smith (the smallest town I've ever lived in), I just felt trapped. I'm a suburb girl... need a city close by :D

The place no amount of love or money could induce you to move to?

Where would you LEAST like to live and why?

No amount of money: Las Vegas, NV, Los Angeles or anything around San Francisco, CA, New York, NY. For sheer weather related issues: Seattle, Washington (too much rain), Alaska (too dark and cold).

My husband and I drove through Garlic World in northern California (in a convertible), and believe me when I say, it does NOT smell anything like garlic smells when you're cooking with it! It was horrible; we had to stop and put the top up! :eek:

We've been to many places in this wonderful country, but Garlic World was not one of them!

And by the way, I live about 40 minutes northwest of Detroit, and although Detroit gets a bad rap all the way around (some of it is deserved, of course), this city also has a lot to offer. I wouldn't want to live in the CITY of Detroit, but its surrounding suburbs are great places to live. Michigan is just about the easiest place to homeschool in (regarding laws and regulations...there are none) as well as offering so many things to do, as a homeschool family. And you definitely can't beat all the parks, lakes, dunes, and lighthouses to visit! Just my two cents...

PAM

there are places we lived we did not like. Houston, TX being one of them. oh what a horrible place. great restaurants but we were miserable there.

there there is the list of places that dh knows even if his dream job was there I *could* not consider.... NYC, Detroit, Ohio, Florida, anywhere in TX, AZ, NM, NV....I am sure there are more but those stick out in my mind. but I haven't lived there so it's not fair to judge.

I swore I would never live in VA, but it's growing on me. not retirement kinda love, but it's good for the kids right now. so I do think you can make the most of wherever you live. I remember when Charlotte had some scary places to drive through(drove through one part of town in high school running 8 lights straight hoping police would pull me over so they could direct me to the way home!) but it's a nice place now....

We once had a car break down there and spent two days of a cross country trip hanging out in Yuma. I thought it was pretty awful, and felt sorry for the people who live there. Of course, maybe I missed all the nice parts.

Nope, you didn't miss the nice parts. :lol:

Small, not-even-on-the map towns are awful, IMO. Lived in Nebraska for 10 months in a booming town of 500 people, flashing yellow light, and three bars, surrounded by fields and cow dung. Nearest grocery store and library was 20 min. drive. Closest mall was 2 hours. It was H*LL. Worst place is any tiny town where everyone knows everyone else (and everyone else's business).

I love Austin, TX but it's been listed as the worst place to live if you have allergies.

I know that town! :lol: Actually I grew up in a town of about 3500 in central NE so we had TWO grocery stores and a library in town. Actually it was a nice place to be a kid, lots of freedom if you had a bike. But I wouldn't go back. And there's the reality of being surrounded on three sides by feed lots, not very fragrant.

There are plenty of small towns in the midwest that wouldn't suit me, but I can imagine they're perfectly nice places for some people and probably okay for raising kids (unless they're Meth capitals). Texas wouldn't have been on my radar at all, but here I am. ;)

I met dh in Texas and before I decided to move to NJ, he wanted me to see it first. So, one year after Christmas (he was already up here so I rode the bus here) the bus made a stop in Camden and the bus driver told me "young lady DO NOT get off the bus at this stop, just stay on the bus until time to leave".

After, I moved up here, I got a job with Enforcement at NJ Dept. Of Environmental Protection and of course (being that I am barely 5 ft short and have always looked quite young and innocent) got assigned to investigate abandaned hazardous waste sites in some of the worst areas of NJ. I believe that the scariest was in one of the Oranges (I think it was East Orange but it could have been West also ) where the area I had to go to was surrouunded by barbed wire fences and was patrolled by "junkyard" dogs. Scary. My state car had a radio where I could contact the state police at any time.

Another time, I took a co-worker with me. We went to our assigned abandend building, he went in first and came racing out and told me to jump in the car and we drove off. He had found an active meth lab (we called the police and reported it)

Another time, I was assigned to work several weeks in Jersey City overseeing the removal of contaminated soil. I was assigned my very own police escort. He was a BIG, very friendly Italian policeman that had grown up in JErsey City. He loved his hometown and I actually enjoyed it also.

I also spent quite a bit of time in Bayonne. The best part about being assigned to some of these areas is that I used to take a picnic lunch to LIberty State Park and eat my lunch with a view of Manhattan and of course the Statue of Liberty.

I lived in Trenton at the time and there were some areas to be wary of but overall I enjoyed the city. I left my job while awaiting my first child and now leave on one of the barrier islands and love it.

Detroit.

But I guess it depends on how you define "worst" - worst for crime, schools, jobs, beauty, people, weather? Detroit hits a negative on all of those for me (my apology to anyone who lives there :tongue_smilie:).

No apology necessary. I live in (near) Detroit and can't wait to get out. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Edited by Heather in NC

I agree with whomever posted that small towns are the worst. Funny thing is I thought they would be nicer, but if you haven't lived in one forever or had relatives that did....you are and will forever remain an alien.

Worst towns in my opinion in order of 'worst' ranking:

New Providence, Iowa

Steamboat Rock, Iowa

or any town in this general area with a population similar to the above. The people here are the worst, most nasty people I have ever met anywhere in my 49 years (and I have lived in 7 different states and in several locations within those states)

To whomever said that southern Minnesotans were 'cold', well, don't travel south into Iowa. They are the worst.

Now, to be fair, Iowans in the cities are 'ok' nice. Not the friendly types you'll find in Kansas or Oklahoma that love you, take you in and make you a part of their family type....but they are a zillion times better than their counter-parts found in small town Iowa.

I also didn't care much for:

Phoenix, Arizona

But, it was the heat and nasty critters there. The people were really nice.