Menu

Book-A-Week in 2009: Week 0 Update

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked Thomas Moore's 'A Life At Work' from my bookshelf. Bought it sometime last year and never found a chance to read it. I'm enjoying how he describes our work as an artistic pursuit--an 'opus.' Makes ya feel noble while scrubbing the sink out. ;)

I read Marley and Me yesterday and started Dead Before Dark (Southern Vampire Series) today. I plan to make up for the fluff with Catch 22 after that. Also on the list are Something from the Oven (Reinventing Dinner in 1950s America) and The Faith Club. Hmmm, do cookbooks count? Hubby bought Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day when we ventured to the bookstore today.

Well, I had already planned to read some children's classics this year (that I somehow never read as a child) so my book is A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. :D

LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! Next to Heidi, it's my favorite book from childhood! I read it many times.

Well, I had already planned to read some children's classics this year (that I somehow never read as a child) so my book is A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. :D

I loved this book as a kid, and some of my favorite memories are of reading it aloud to my daughter when she was about four. The language is so rich compared to most contemporary children's books, just a pleasure to read.

I have one Burnett that I've never read on my list for this year, too. I want to read Little Lord Fauntleroy.

I'm in. My books *will* include school-related books at various times throughout the year.

First up: The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald.

I read The Princess and the Goblin for the first time this past year and loved it! I saw where there is a collection of George MacDonald Christmas stories that I would love to track down for next Christmas!

I've read only excerpts from Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan), so that's what I'm tackling this week. As a child I was always fascinated with the leather different-colored editions of the book that Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy got for Christmas from Marmee in Little Women.

I am reading The Meaning of Recognition; New Essays 2001-2005 by Clive James: the book is comprised of essays on Shakespeare, Primo Levi and Yeats but also include commentaries on pop culture such as on The Sopranos and The West Wing. I have been surprised by, and enjoyed with great pleasure, their meatiness so far.

A quote from the introduction:

'The essayist must be free to pause, finish reading Joseph and His Brothers, sleep in the afternoon, spend a whole hour on a single paragraph, watch CSI:Miami in the evening, and then work far into the night, until finally he produces a piece of writing that shows no more signs of strain than the easy outpouring of some dolt who bungs down the first thing that comes into his head.[.........] I hope the pieces in this book, when they look simple, do so without seeming light-minded, because most of them were written with a heavy heart.'

With all my hopes for the New Year I am hoping that some of his good writing rubs off on my own.

I'm reading (well listening to) The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. It is read by the author and his delivery is so dead pan that it makes his dry humor even funnier. I keep bursting out laughing, leaving my kids and dh wondering what the heck is so funny. It is a memoir of growing up in Des Moines during the 1950s and 60s. He is the same age as my older brothers, and while I wasn't around in the 50s, it reminds me of so much of my early childhood and the family stories. He is a delight to read or listen to.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thalassa+ali&x=0&y=0 (The first three on the list)

I read the first in this series a few months ago, randomly picked up the third the other day, realised it was so ran back down to find the second. Don't you love it when all books in a series are in the same branch of the library! I read the second two in the same day, they were that good!

About a colonial Englishwoman and her accidental marriage to an Indian man. You should all read them!!

:)

Rosie

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thalassa+ali&x=0&y=0 (The first three on the list)

I read the first in this series a few months ago, randomly picked up the third the other day, realised it was so ran back down to find the second. Don't you love it when all books in a series are in the same branch of the library! I read the second two in the same day, they were that good!

About a colonial Englishwoman and her accidental marriage to an Indian man. You should all read them!!

:)

Rosie

Rosie,

Those look great! I am going to find out if my library has them. Thanks!

I'm reading (well listening to) The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. It is read by the author and his delivery is so dead pan that it makes his dry humor even funnier. I keep bursting out laughing, leaving my kids and dh wondering what the heck is so funny. It is a memoir of growing up in Des Moines during the 1950s and 60s. He is the same age as my older brothers, and while I wasn't around in the 50s, it reminds me of so much of my early childhood and the family stories. He is a delight to read or listen to.

That is next on my list. I've read everything else from him.

This sounds like fun, Kay!

For week one, I just finished reading the Essential Soapmaker, by a "fats" chemist. Lots of great information.

My husband gave me a soapmaking class as a gift this fall and I am addicted. I have a few of these I want to read in January to lock in the information before I move on to other topics.

Book two will be the Everything Soapmaking book.

Amy

I read Marley and Me yesterday and started Dead Before Dark (Southern Vampire Series) today. I plan to make up for the fluff with Catch 22 after that. Also on the list are Something from the Oven (Reinventing Dinner in 1950s America) and The Faith Club. Hmmm, do cookbooks count? Hubby bought Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day when we ventured to the bookstore today.

Dead Before Dark finished last night. Moving on.... :)

For those of you who just finished reading your first book and going to do a review, don't forget to post it to the blog. Or if you reviewed on your blog, send me a link to your review and I will post it on the blog. Or, just send me a few thoughts and I'll have a wrap up of thoughts about books for the first week.

Have fun reading.

Does it count if we read plays? I have been wanting to read Othello.

I'm having issues with posting on the blog so here's my review for Endless Night by Agatha Christie. Do with it what you will!

I don't normally read mysteries, but my oldest son does and we watched the movie together, so I wanted to read the book. My son describes it as "Christie's creepiest mystery," and it certainly is. A poor man and a rich girl meet and fall in love, but danger lurks everywhere. I can't say too much about it without giving anything away, but I wish that I didn't know how it ended while reading the book. I did enjoy both the book and the movie, but of course the book was better. The title refers to a poem by William Blake called "Auguries of Innocence."

Finished first book earlier this evening - Joy in the Morning, by Betty Smith. While it was a nice story and the characters showed determination through hard things, I was disappointed with some of the language (mild by today's *standards*) - I didn't remember that from my first read MANY years ago. Was also surprised that the only thing I remembered from the story (Annie getting her hair cut) happened differently and much earlier in the story than I recalled. Oh well.

Onto my next book: Pioneers of Faith, by Dr. Lester Sumrall.

Oh, I second that, but I'm going to give it a go, since I've been really bad about reading for me. It's always about the kids you know...

I will start with From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury.

If you have an opportunity please listen to the audio as every nuance, every melancholy scene leaps off the pages when "read "as an audio book. Somewhere a Band is Playing is also just wonderful. I had to give a shout out to another Bradbury reader.

I haven't read it in a couple of years. I read half of it yesterday and am saving the other half for later in the week. I had almost forgotten how good that book is even though it is forced on highschool kids.

I re-read a few of those dystopian novels last summer when my daughter got into them: Fahrenheight 451, Brave New World, 1984, This Perfect Day. I hadn't read them in years and was shocked at how wonderful some of them (especially 451) were.

Edit: By the way, I'm about 14 pages from the end of my first-week book, Bel Canto. I bought my son a copy of The Little Prince a few days ago. It's the new translation I've never read, so I think I'll do that next.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Does it count if we read plays? I have been wanting to read Othello.

I'm having issues with posting on the blog so here's my review for Endless Night by Agatha Christie. Do with it what you will!

Yes, plays count. Whatever you want to read - whether it is nonfiction, fiction, plays, essays, etc. The goal is to read, plus have some fun doing it.

What kind of problem are you having posting to the blog? You are listed as okay to post. Let me know.

Wuthering Heights by Bronete. I read this about 8 years ago and keep wanting to re-read it. After reading the Twilight series I figured I really needed to read it again. I just bought it today so I plan to start it tonight.

I actually am trying to start this but I have a copy from my senior year in hs. Now, I think I am going to have to go get another one because the print is sooo tiny. Guess things do change:tongue_smilie: Even with my glasses it is giving me a headache.

I read The Iliad last week. I started on New Year's Day and dh did all these really sweet tasks around the house while I just sat on the couch with the cat and read and read and read. I finished it Friday night.

This week I am reading Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay. I love all of his books and this one was just as good as the rest!

So I finished my first book. Is it alright if I start my second? Ok, I already did, but that's cool right? It's the Last Lecture book by the guy who was dying(now dead I believe). So far 10 pp in I like it.

Hi Pam,

Oh, the Last Lecture. Now that's an interesting one.

Yes, the rules are very flexible. If you start reading a book early, you just need to finish it during the next week. Otherwise, it will be a bonus book. The average is one book a week, but if you manage to read more than that, that's a plus. Saw your post review on the blog - good job. I wrote a comment on it.

Happy Reading