Menu

Cat end of life

El...

Stay out if this is going to break your heart. Sorry. 😞

My cat is 19, maybe a little older. A year ago we thought she was dying (gasping for breath, lying still on the floor) but she started Solensia injections every month and perked back up. Now she's not doing well again. She's not due for a shot.

She appears to be in pain when she walks, more than her usual arthritis. Last night she vomited foam. Then I saw her crawl into the cat box and kind of lay down. I got her out gently and put her in the soft cat bed. She got up twice this morning, but didn't jump up for tap water, which is normally her routine. She breathes hard when she walks a little; her sides suck in a bit more than normal. She has not defecated. She's shut in the pretty bathroom with everything she needs, so the dog won't bother her, and is not asking to be let out. She's lying curled in her cat bed. 

I'm thinking this is the end of the line. I'm considering taking her to the vet to be put down tomorrow. 

How do I decide? I've never had a pet this long before. If she defecates in the litter box, do I reconsider?

The kids are going to be very sad. Me too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

Some people say you'll somehow just know when it's time, but that's not really been my experience. It's always such a hard decision, with lots of second guessing. I think a lot of the second guessing is really wishful thinking. My feeling has always been that it's better to err on the side of being a little too early than waiting too long.

It's very, very hard. But I think she's telling you that she's ready to go.

Hugs. It's hard.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Some people say you'll somehow just know when it's time, but that's not really been my experience. It's always such a hard decision, with lots of second guessing. I think a lot of the second guessing is really wishful thinking. My feeling has always been that it's better to err on the side of being a little too early than waiting too long.

It's very, very hard. But I think she's telling you that she's ready to go.

Hugs. It's hard.

I agree with all of this.  I'm also very sorry and sending hugs.  

• Like 1

Hugs. I’m sorry. 
When we were worried day and night and our cat was behaving like you mentioned, it was time. Definitely time for him, though it happened fast enough that we weren’t emotionally ready.  Your plan to call the vet tomorrow sounds reasonable.  I doubt your kitty will poop,  it even if it happens, it’s not enough to reconsider. Quality of life appears to be low. 
‘I’m sorry. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. Yes, it is much better to err on the side of too soon than too late. From what you've described, it is time. Again, I am so incredibly sorry! This is such a hard thing to do but it will be the last best act of love you can do for her.

• Like 1

Many many hugs.  I am very sorry.    Our sweet furry family members simply do not live long enough.   I have had to make the choice to let 2 of ours go and I always say that it is the last loving and kind thing I can do for them.  It hurt like hell, but I have never regretted my decisions (made, of course, with the guidance of our vet).   

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. Yes, it is much better to err on the side of too soon than too late. From what you've described, it is time. Again, I am so incredibly sorry! This is such a hard thing to do but it will be the last best act of love you can do for her.

I just read this after I posted.  I agree with you fully on all points.  

• Like 1

Agreeing with everyone else. We had one we waited too long for and I always regret that. Are there any services in your area that come to your house and do it? That’s what we have done (except for the time when we waited too long), and it’s a nice way to make it more peaceful if it’s a possibility in your area. There are several around here that get recommended.

I'm so sorry. Deciding when it's time is so so hard. 

I agree with everyone else that sooner is better than later.

I had a vet tell me once that drawing out my cat's life would be for me and not for her.  He wasn't being judgemental; just very matter of fact. And it really helped with the decision to euthanise. It was 100% the right decision, even though it broke my heart.

Is there a home visit vet that could come and euthanise peacefully at your home?

thinking of you 🌻

• Like 2

Specifically, old cats not eating go into rapid kidney failure and that is apparently a very painful death for humans so also for cats, I believe.  We have had to put down a few. Our second to last one was because he stopped eating after already being old and rather frail at that point. He was a 16 year.Siamese