Menu

Do you decorate for Valentine's Day?

MercyA

I went to dollar tree and got 10 or 12” valentines hearts to hang on the kids bedroom doors. Pink for girls, red for boys. I also got wooden hearts for them to paint and wood heart vase filler to either make a garland with OR glue to the wood hearts. And I went to TJ Maxx and got enough valentines towels for each of the bathrooms and kitchen to have 2-3 each. And I have at least one valentines wreath in the garage but DH has so many projects out there right now I don’t know where it is. I think there’s a smarties themed felt garland too, but again idk where it is. 

I really miss my last house sometimes. I knew where everything was there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't decorate seasonally, except for Christmas, but I watch Youtubers like Do It On A Dime (& others) that demonstrate how to take Dollar Tree items and combine them into low cost decor.   I just searched Youtube, & there are all kinds of tutorials.

• Thanks 1

I made this bunting to hang Valentines that dh’s mom saved from when he was in 2nd grade in 1965.  
It’s sweet that she saved them, and he still is in touch with a couple of the friends who gave him a card. However, it’s also a perfect example of ‘oh my gosh that woman never threw anything away and going through her stuff after she passed was a nightmare I’ll never forget’. 

IMG_4508.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I made this bunting to hang Valentines that dh’s mom saved from when he was in 2nd grade in 1965.  
It’s sweet that she saved them, and he still is in touch with a couple of the friends who gave him a card. However, it’s also a perfect example of ‘oh my gosh that woman never threw anything away and going through her stuff after she passed was a nightmare I’ll never forget’. 

IMG_4508.jpeg

Wow!  What does your DH think of it?  It brought back memories for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

Wow!  What does your DH think of it?  It brought back memories for me.

He adores it. It goes up for two weeks in February, and as his birthday is Feb 13 it’s just something nice I like to do for him.  The valentines are adorable. 

• Like 6

A little. Enough to be a bit of cheery-ness in dull February. Something on the front door, something on my dining table, something on my mantle, towels in the kitchen and hall bath. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I haven't dressed up Sid yet. I'm kind of torn between doing Valentine's day or the Lunar new year, since it's the year of the dragon. 

That's a tough choice!

I would like to do a few things, but alas with the painting upstairs, things still aren't all put together. Maybe I will get out my felt heart garland and hang that . 

• Like 1

I used to, when the kids were little. Now, no. 

One year my husband and I cut out bunches of construction paper hearts in various sizes and wrote a word or phrase on each -  yes, just like the little heart candies, but more personalized for our kids. We hung them up all over the place, including hanging from crepe paper outside their bedroom doors so when they got up and opened their door to come out, there was a curtain of valentines. That was fun. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Annie G said:

He adores it. It goes up for two weeks in February, and as his birthday is Feb 13 it’s just something nice I like to do for him.  The valentines are adorable. 

It is adorable! I love the look of vintage cards. At first, I thought you must have used internet images but the fact that you used your DH's actual cards, I mean, just wow. You did such an amazing job on that.

• Like 2

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. Means a lot. My sisters think it’s stupid and don’t mind telling me so.  I think it might be because one has a loveless marriage the other is a widow whose dh died in a surfing accident. So neither are really thrilled w outward displays of real affection. 

• Sad 8

I don't do classically Valentine's type things like hearts and roses. But I have a lovely white tablecloth, a ruby colored table runner, and my grandmother's Kings Crown Ruby Thumbprint glassware. We were given a glass candleabra, not too tall, as a wedding gift. So I put that in the center with white candles, set the table with the glassware, and make a nice dinner. When we still had kids at home, I did the same, and put a small box of chocolates and a note from us at their plates. I do need to replace the cloth napkins I normally use. Years of laundering have made them rather ragged and faded. So I need to go through my fabric stash and find something suitable to make new ones. The current ones need to become wash rags.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Annie G said:

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. Means a lot. My sisters think it’s stupid and don’t mind telling me so.  I think it might be because one has a loveless marriage the other is a widow whose dh died in a surfing accident. So neither are really thrilled w outward displays of real affection. 

Wow, that's awful!  I'm sorry.  Don't let them ruin your fun!  

• Like 3