Menu

Settling in

heartlikealion

Ok this is my new thread about life post move for those that were interested. I’m going to have the other thread deleted for certain reasons. 

Today I tried the washer/dryer for the first time. After filming this video I did manage to open the washer door but it took all me strength and two hands. 

I wish I could just use my own W/D. This set is a headache! 

https://youtu.be/8nwfA6kqjoQ?si=bBikSTTRJlGM0Axt

WWYD? I guess for economical reasons I should suck it up but for mental health I don’t know. 😵‍💫

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Ok this is my new thread about life post move for those that were interested. I’m going to have the other thread deleted for certain reasons. 

Today I tried the washer/dryer for the first time. After filming this video I did manage to open the washer door but it took all me strength and two hands. 

I wish I could just use my own W/D. This set is a headache! 

https://youtu.be/8nwfA6kqjoQ?si=bBikSTTRJlGM0Axt

WWYD? I guess for economical reasons I should suck it up but for mental health I don’t know. 😵‍💫

Glad your getting settled in! Put a call in to maintenance and ask them to fix it. It shouldn't be a problem for them to repair/replace a washer that comes with the unit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tap said:

Glad your getting settled in! Put a call in to maintenance and ask them to fix it. It shouldn't be a problem for them to repair/replace a washer that comes with the unit.

There’s no maintenance lol it’s a duplex and the landlord said he didn’t buy the machine. It belonged to the previous tenants. 

Now I see even though I did not use the bleach or fabric softener compartments they are full of liquid and I can’t even get it all out with paper towels. This thing is a hot mess. 

I’m gonna measure the closet later (my tape measure didn’t make it into my tool bag) and see what it would cost to buy a cheap set (perhaps using money from selling the old set). 

I don’t want to pull my hair out everytime I need to do laundry. And they did not maintain the unit. I found so much lint outside the lint trap. 

Did your lease mention a washer dryer in thr unit? It would the. Be his responsibility to maintain them.
If he won’t, then I would ask the landlord to remove the unit . I would hope you  could sell your w/d and get a unit to fit. 
That looks like a one piece unit. They can be speedy. Sorry. 

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 1

Just now, KatieJ said:

Did your lease mention a washer dryer in thr unit? It would the. Be his responsibility to maintain them.
If he won’t, then I would ask the landlord to remove the unit . I would hope you  could sell your w/d and get a unit to fit. 

The w/d isn’t in the lease and he said it was my choice. But I didn’t know how badly it functioned til I got here. I just liked the layout of this one better than the home that would have fit my side by side units. That other home had no space, doorways on 3/4 of the living room walls, no space for a dining table.

The set for sale is in my storage unit. I don’t want to haul a set to my place from there. 

I’m very leery of buying from individual sellers. That home with the room I rented had a used W/D like new and it kept messing up and they finally got it serviced after I moved our. Cost like $200 for the repairs. 

It’s not like buying something you can easily test. 

Washed 2 small loads … one was dish towels. Dried on high heat setting. It’s taking both loads more than one drying cycle to actually be dry. I can’t imagine with full size bath towels. And I’m pretty sure the neighbor can hear every dang beep this thing makes. You cannot disable the beeps. It beeps loudly at end of cycle. 

Been perusing W/D options. I may end up at laundromat soon. I’m used to a wash cycle costing 3.00 min. Here it’s $4.25 min. 

I put the elec into my name but it doesn’t go into effect for a few days and they assured me I won’t lose power. I did not owe a deposit.

10 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I’d rather not try, especially in winter lol and with my limited space. I actually got rid of my portable clothing rack due to space. 
In summer wet items tend to mildew quickly. 

My clothes horse takes up my whole kitchen. It isn't ideal, lol

The missing knob on your machine...it reminds me of an old tv set we had years ago. We used to use pliers to turn the silver post in the  middle...and it worked just fine! 😄  Just had to say that small adaptations can be made.  But I hope the rest of it will work out for you.  Take a deep breath and try to enjoy the rest of your place. I saw the pics and it looks super nice!!

Edited by *****
spelling

Heart, if you can slide the dryer out and remove the hose that vents it, you can check to see if it is plugged which prevents proper air flow and is also a fire hazard. It might need to be cleaned. You can also take a stick and feel around in the wall opening and see if there is lint clog in there. That does happen.

• Like 4

Ok I’m gonna try to fight with the dryer today but it looks pretty tight in that closet. 

my road flooded. We had a storm last night. I asked about flooding before moving in. They said it was rare. No way I can realistically get to work so I emailed them saying I can’t make it can we schedule make up hours. 

I took a colleague’s suggestion about a safe Walmart and drove there last night. So at least I have some groceries. 

I found a note from Amazon inside the mailbox saying they didn’t leave the cat furniture package the other day because it was oversized 🙄 There is plenty of room to set it on my porch though. 

I have a huge window on my front door. As a temp fix I covered it in Christmas gift wrap lol 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

I love the Christmas gift wrap window covering solution!

And I'm sorry about the flooding. 

I hope you make progress with the dryer. I hate dealing with tight spaces. I think sometimes those compact stacked units run from a regular electrical outlet rather than a 220 outlet; that means they don't draw as much power so they do usually take longer to dry things.  But you definitely want to check for a clogged vent pipe.

• Like 2

Heart, since you are a brand new employee, I would also send photo documentation of the road being flooded or a link to an online news source stating the road is flooded and shouldn't be traversed. This way they don't think the new employee is just being a flake and trying to get out of working on the weekend already. 

I am going to take a wild guess that the thermostat on that dryer is going up which is why the previous tenants didn't take it along. But just in case they didn't know about lint blockages in the hose and vent, it is probably worth checking out before declaring the dryer worthless.

• Like 3

I sent all the documentation 🙂 it was a photo and my street name. I spoke to my supervisor on the phone after she replied to the email. I can’t make up the hours on a separate week so they said if the water goes down I can find in late but when I explained the turbines are offline they said oh ok might be better to stay home. 

My neighbor cautioned me that even if it goes down I may see accidents on the way and some flooding covering potholes which I could land in and submerge my car. 

As of now I’m in no rush to get just a few hours. 

I put on my boots to get my charger out of the car and soaked my socks and had to dump water out of my boots when I took them off. 

The washer dial is so finicky and with all the other issues it’s no surprise the last tenants left the unit here. I do intend to replace it but would like money from the old one. I might have to do another price drop. No interest so far. 

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

“No longer available” lol 

https://www.frigidaireapplianceparts.com/Layer/NLA-Where-Can-I-Get-My-Part

the Amazon ones don’t look like a match 

Oh, bummer. It's worth checking ebay just in case.

ETA: I would totally use a wrench or similar for the short term so as not to have to deal with replacing. I have done this successfully, although it can be a little annoying.

Edited by Longtime Lurker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I might try to MacGyver a handle lol 

My friend had a pair of channel locks on her washer knob spindle for years to start the washer. But you can probably just do this with a pair of pliers. At least you can figure out if the knob is the problem and not something else.

Can you tell why the pliers don't work? Is it that the plastics thing is fitting in to a few spots in the metal plate behind it, or that it turns that whole internal white plastic thing and not just the metal knob inside?

Either way, in your shoes I would not pay $43 for a knob. Would one of those grippy rubber jar openers make the knob easier to turn?

If the dryer eventually becomes inoperable, I'd guess a small dehumidifier is cheaper than replacing the whole unit (until you can manage to sell your set or trade it), and then hang drying should work okay. 

Just now, thatfirstsip said:

Can you tell why the pliers don't work? Is it that the plastics thing is fitting in to a few spots in the metal plate behind it, or that it turns that whole internal white plastic thing and not just the metal knob inside?

Either way, in your shoes I would not pay $43 for a knob. Would one of those grippy rubber jar openers make the knob easier to turn?

If the dryer eventually becomes inoperable, I'd guess a small dehumidifier is cheaper than replacing the whole unit (until you can manage to sell your set or trade it), and then hang drying should work okay. 

The dryer is ok. I was able to dry towels today. I couldn’t get to a hose but I put on gloves and removed as much loose lint as I could in the door and lint trap area. 

The knob is for the washer. I think normally the button turns all together but the center is just where you hold. If that makes sense. I even tried fitting it with the stove knob that doesn’t work lol 

58 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

My friend had a pair of channel locks on her washer knob spindle for years to start the washer. But you can probably just do this with a pair of pliers. At least you can figure out if the knob is the problem and not something else.

My mom did that for years!  I had forgotten about that until this thread. I think it stayed like that for the life of the machine.

2 minutes ago, *LC said:

Check walmart.com. They sell Frigidaire knobs for around $10. Not sure if have your model.

We have used a wrench in past. 

The part on the middle isn’t what needs to turn. Just the outer ring. So a wrench or pliers won’t work. The knob must connect to the ring. 

Edited by heartlikealion

On a tight budget and only doing laundry for one person, I'd try to do a small load each night and just hang stuff on coat hangers with an oscillating fan aimed at them.    Hanging a day's worth of clothing to dry might be less stressful than fighting with that dryer right now or feeling pressed to sell the machines you have sooner.  You can hang light stuff from your shower rod and anything heavy from the doorknob or towel rack in your bathroom.  If you do it right after you shower,  it'll have 24 hours to get dry before you need the shower again.  The bonus is that the humidity in the air will protect you from dry winter skin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I think the dryer just doesn’t work well on certain settings but ok on others. My towels dried. But my low heat delicates were completely damp. 
The bigger issue is locking the door and setting the washer. Plus all this liquid appears in vessels I don’t use (bleach & fabric softener sections). 

It may have a sensor on that setting that doesn’t dry it completely.  A lot of dryers come with this sensor and not everyone likes that dang sensor.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

It may have a sensor on that setting that doesn’t dry it completely.  A lot of dryers come with this sensor and not everyone likes that dang sensor.  

I’ve had a sensor go out the the dryer lived a long time afterwards. We just had to use the timed settings instead of the other ones. 

• Like 1

I don’t think this machine is high tech but who knows if it has a sensor. 

I have no idea how they got the machine in the closet to begin with. I cannot even slide it. My landlord warned me it might leak. I noticed water at the base so I am gonna ask him to move it and look. Using a pole I fished out some misc stuff living on the sides of the closet (abandoned clothing, more lint, a dollar bill, and empty laundry containers).

I hit my goal weight this week but want to lose a bit more/tone. Some of my clothes are too big on me and some clothes are not in town with me. I will probably need to shop soon for more pants, but I had no luck the other day when I tried. 

• Like 1

I air dried everything for my large family for about four months this past year before I was able to replace my dryer that went out. That was annoying but wouldn't be as bad for one person. Things do take longer in a humid climate, though I've dealt with that before as well. 

It sounds like the dryer is mostly working, so hopefully that won't be necessary and you can save up for a new unit eventually. I would want to get the potential leak checked though.

11 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

On a tight budget and only doing laundry for one person, I'd try to do a small load each night and just hang stuff on coat hangers with an oscillating fan aimed at them.    Hanging a day's worth of clothing to dry might be less stressful than fighting with that dryer right now or feeling pressed to sell the machines you have sooner.  You can hang light stuff from your shower rod and anything heavy from the doorknob or towel rack in your bathroom.  If you do it right after you shower,  it'll have 24 hours to get dry before you need the shower again.  The bonus is that the humidity in the air will protect you from dry winter skin.

One can just line dry all laundry, even for a family. A dryer isn't a necessity. There are folding racks that hold an entire load.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1