Menu

Are there places you wouldn't travel to right now, for safety reasons?

SKL

Generally I go with not level 3 and above. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/ Unless I know what the level 3 entails for that country and there is compelling reason to take the risk. Level 4 starts to get iffy for me.

Yes I would suggest you follow your own country's precautions. (The one linked is for the US.)

• Like 5

We also follow the official travel guidelines. I’d feel fine going to Argentina—especially if you are sticking to touristy and safer places like Cordoba, Salta, Buenos Aires, etc. I’d stick to bottled drinks that you open yourself if you hit the clubs at night (which I don’t see you doing), but that’s about it. I’d probably also Uber over doing a general taxi, but I tend to be a cautious traveler. 

Argentina’s crime rates are lower than Brazil. There are parts of the US rougher than a lot of Brazil. 

Happy Travels!

• Like 2

I don't think most of what's going on in Brazil would bleed over into normal touristy things for cautious travelers, but I haven't been recently. DH was last there a few months back, and didn't say anything. We still get the security alerts, and nothing's popped up any different than normal, and DH hasn't said anything about the folks he works with over there worried about stuff. 

I'd imagine Argentina probably similar-ish though I'm not as familiar. 

I *would* check the travel advisories and not go to the specifically mentioned *areas* of either of those countries, though. 

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Thinking about our upcoming Christmas break trip.  Brazil and Argentina.  Stuff going on there right now.

Stuff is going on in so many places right now.

Brazil has crime stuff.  Argentina just has rampant inflation.  But who knows how it will be in Christmasw lresident  since the presiden comes in on Dec 10th.

Middle East, Ukraine or Russia for sure. Probably others but I haven’t given it thought as overseas holidays are not in our budget. We do have friends in Middle East right now and I feel less stressed than when they left because the situation seems to be stabilising a little bit maybe.

Edited by Ausmumof3

For US citizens, I recommend STEP (Safe Traveler Enrollment Program) at step.state. Gov (intentionally made a broken link). I think I looked at Brazil recently and it was level 3. I would not personally feel good about that. 

My kiddo was tentatively planning Argentina and Chile for next year, so I’ll be keeping an eye on it on her behalf. 

There are a number of places that I have little interest in going to anyway that I would not want to travel to due to safety concerns.  Of places that I would perhaps go if it weren't for safety concerns--there are many parts of Mexico I would not travel to.  We were at a doctor's appointment for DH last week and the doctor, who is Colombian, was home visiting family the week before and told us about having a gun pointed at his head, being robbed, and listening to his stories convinced me I didn't want to travel to Colombia.  Then, last night I had a student from Venezuala talking about issues in her home country, and she did not recommend that anyone visit.  

• Like 1

I'm in Israel right now but they are in a "ceasefire" (there have been isolated issues in Gaza). I feel fine but I speak enough Hebrew and know where not to go.

As a Jew I'm (sadly) not going to a bunch of places in Europe and obviously the Middle East any time soon. 

Edited by YaelAldrich
Spelling is a thing
  • Sad 8

On 11/28/2023 at 6:23 PM, TravelingChris said:

Argentina just has rampant inflation

I was in Chile last week.  One of my Uber drivers was strongly encouraging a trip to Argentina as he said it was so cheap to travel there right now.   Chile was inexpensive IMHO.  He mentioned a wonderful steak dinner for about $10USD.  Really nice accommodations for less than $80USD.   

• Like 3

On 11/29/2023 at 5:19 AM, YaelAldrich said:

I'm in Israel right now but they are in a "ceasefire" (there have been isolated issues in Gaza). I feel fine but I speak enough Hebrew and know where not to go.

As a Jew I'm (sadly) not going to a bunch of places in Europe and obviously the Middle East any time soon. 

Did you fly into Tel Aviv or another airport? 

Yeah, we saw a lot of flags in the kebab shops we went into on a recent trip. I felt conspicuous as a boring american, though no one was overtly impolite.

• Like 1

We were invited back to Egypt. The DWB clinic needs Mark to do more IT work for them. He would love to go. But given the unrest in the region, and the fact that Egypt is in the thick of this in terms of refugees, border security, etc. we are opting not to go at this time.

I have decided to avoid Paris for a while. I would love to go back, but man that place has been riled up messy, and since sis lives in Nice` now, I can fly there and bypass Charles de Gaulle by choosing a layover in London or Amsterdam. About the only international travel we are currently considering is Denmark, possibly a trip back to Iceland, and Nice` plus potential Carribean beachy thing next winter. As for people coming to the US from other countries, I don't know why unless you live somewhere like El Salvador. We have so much darn gun violence, I just don't see what the allure could be. Go hang out in Barabados, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Norway, Canada, somewhere else. I can't recommend my home country to anyone.

We nearly decided (and then only changed our minds because tickets got expensive) a winter trip that would include Bosnia and Herzegovina, an impossible idea not so very long ago. DS is of the mind that certain places need to be experienced NOW, before they become off limits again. And while he doesn't share our lived history with the various wars in certain areas that defined our growing up (including on the island where he currently lives), he does have a realistic understanding of world history and current events. He listens to me, thank goodness, when I veto areas of interest that I feel are a bit too close to current conflict.

Most places in Western Europe don't concern me any more than most places in North America. Too close to Russia or the Middle East I start to have concerns, but  DS he has friends from both and I have to admit that changes the metrics. I'm often in the enviable position of learning through him and through his friends realities that I wouldn't otherwise have opportunity to better understand. He makes me excited to see and understand places I could have never previously imagined.

5 hours ago, zimom said:

I was in Chile last week.  One of my Uber drivers was strongly encouraging a trip to Argentina as he said it was so cheap to travel there right now.   Chile was inexpensive IMHO.  He mentioned a wonderful steak dinner for about $10USD.  Really nice accommodations for less than $80USD.   

This. Relatives were in Argentina this year and were very happy about what they could buy with $. They loved everything about Argentina, and can’t wait to go back, but won’t be returning to Chile.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zimom said:

I'm heading to Argentina next week and have been told the same thing!  

• Like 1