Menu

Care package for college student ideas

Spryte

I do/did one a week or so before Halloween, one a week or so before Valentines Day, one near Easter. Candy/chocolate is always involved, maybe fun socks, new shorts or summery shirt in the Easter one (because both girls are in CA and the weather there is nice enough for that). There might be mac 'n cheese, favorite treats from Trader Joe's, etc.

• Like 2

Looking back at old posts, here are some things that went into care packages sent to my daughter plus a few more ideas:

items inadvertently left at home

bag clips 

a package of stickers 

some humorous comic strips/articles

Command brand picture hanging widgets

a set of juggling balls 

postage stamps and labels with their address if they like to send mail

A magazine

Fun socks

And chocolate!  (One must always send something chocolate.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Hometown newspaper

favorite cookies - homemade or otherwise 

Socks

gift card for fast food

highlighters - sharpie has pretty pastels

post it flags

basic first aid supplies - band aids, Tylenol, neosporin

hobby magazine

soap & hand lotion

favorite candy

You could do a theme - movie night, game night (board & card games), seasonal, game day (for college sports)

Stress relief/sensory package

Stress balls

crazy Aaron’s thinking putty

Air wick scented oil room freshener plug in

pop its

Chewing gum

heavy blanket (weight wise, but not necessarily a weighted blanket

soft socks

Apple gift certificate w/ list of ambient sound pieces (rainfall, ocean, symphony, acoustic guitar)

Example of items for Winter Theme basket- 

throw blanket

Cozy socks w/grippers

hot chocolate mix or coffee

mugs

Uno card game

book or magazine for light reading

Chap stick

hand warmers

wool socks

• Like 4

I did holiday packages last year with treats themed to each holiday (enough to share), and fun stickers for DD.  She really didn't want any more "stuff" in her small dorm room so I was trying to focus on consumables. 

We did send her a fun hat after DH and DS16 took a trip together, since they brought souvenirs home for everyone and that was a hit.  So I could imagine other wearable items for future packages.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kareni said:

And chocolate!  (One must always send something chocolate.)

Unless the weather is very hot where the student lives because the chocolate will melt.  We always sent dd in TX her Easter basket in February to be safe.  

• Like 4

Ok, maybe because my daughter is artsy with artsy friends, but...

I find fun children crafts for the holiday and she and her roommates have a blast putting them together. They always send me pictures of the cute craft. ( Now, I myself hate anything arts and crafts because I am so bad at it, but they love it.)

• Like 2

I would send fun unique stickers that are designed and by artists and bought directly from the artist. 

Maybe a yo-yo.

Mostly, I would focus on consumable treats with a few extra fun things and use $1 bills as packing material.

Since Halloween is quickly approaching I would buy a bag of their favorite candy from the Halloween aisle, maybe grab some small goofy treat toy, like vampire teeth. I would reach out to the local artists I follow and support and see what stickers they have in stock and buy one or two. I would find a box that will barely hold the above and open the candy and treat toys and mix it together with the stickers and individual $1 bills I would probably make that box easy to access and put it in a slightly larger box with air pillows to keep it from moving around too much and so if they use a sharp knife they will not damage the inside package.

• Like 1

Good suggestions so far, and also, basics that are a pain to buy:

Stamps

Sudafed (the real kind)

Bandaids

Aspirin

Also, I often sent holiday themed paper napkins or a dishtowel.  We happened to have trees that bore hardy fruit so I sent some of that (Fuyu persimmons, for example, but not apricots).  Favorite cookies or crackers, sometimes with a holiday theme.  I wanted to make things more festive without an over abundance of ‘stuff’, and also to make it easier to entertain (lightly).  

• Like 1

My freshman year at college when everything was still new and strange, my aunt sent me a really nice pair of PJs .  I'll never forget the delight and happiness I felt when I opened that package.  I wore them out but always felt hugged by home when I wore them. 

So I would vote comfy lounge clothes 🙂

• Like 4

Shipping anything is so $$ anymore, that if I send anything to my college dd, I send if from Amazon.  It’s easy to send their favorite snacks and many of the other things mentioned.  Bonus is I don’t have to find a box or go to the post office.

Edited to add: Her school added the Amazon lockers on campus over the summer, so secure and easy for her to pick up.

Edited by athena1277
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Shipping anything is so $$ anymore, that if I send anything to my college dd, I send if from Amazon.  It’s easy to send their favorite snacks and many of the other things mentioned.  Bonus is I don’t have to find a box or go to the post office.

Edited to add: Her school added the Amazon lockers on campus over the summer, so secure and easy for her to pick up.

I do this too - it's cheaper to have something shipped free from Target, Amazon, Walmart...   The only exception is once a year when I make her an Easter basket. The shipping costs as much as the contents and I don't send much.

When my sister and I were both in college/uni at the same time, my dad sent us both unexpected care packages. The things we remember still? The Coke branded polar bear stuffed animal (he got them free from a vendor at work) and the Pringles. We loved those bears, despite being all grown up and in college. They were so “dad.”

I think what you send means nothing compared to the fact that you send it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, athena1277 said:

You can try using the usps flat rate cardboards boxes. I read somewhere that some moms will put a baked tin of muffin and ship. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The most popular care package I ever sent had just two things in it. Gift cards to Taco Bell, and two cans of silly string for each person, college student plus his 4 friends. Ya. Back then, silly string was like $1.50 a can.

They had a silly string fight and then loaded up on cheap tacos. Apparently this made me "Da Bomb" on his dorm floor. I lost that title to my won mother who sent him for Finals week, a bunch of packets of Swiss Miss, package of marshmallows, and 5 dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies wrapped in bubble wrap so they would not get broken or crushed. He shared with everyone, and my fame sank into oblivion until next semester.

• Like 5