Menu

Finally! The dream, 6+ years in the making!

alisoncooks

For those interested in the details: the trailer is a Malone MicroSport. It has the shorter crossbars, but I can order the wider ones for ~$160 (that’ll allow me to fit four kayaks). 

The kayaks are Wilderness Systems: a sit-on Tarpon 100 (orange) and a sit-in Pungo 120 (yellow). 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, TarynB said:

I think this is wonderful! You waited a long time for this dream to come true. And I bet your granddad would be very happy about this too. 🥰

25 minutes ago, Kassia said:

So happy for you!  I think you definitely made the right choice and agree that your granddad would be very happy. 

Thanks!  I’m so excited. 
Honestly, my granddad was a penny-pincher, thrifty to a fault…so I have no idea what he’d think. He’d probably tell me to put it in the bank, haha. But…I have no regrets. 😂

• Like 8

Yay! Congrats to you! May this bring you years and years of joy!

FWIW, as a young adult I received a tiny amount from my own Granddad, and used it all to buy the very best camping and backpacking gear I could. It brought years and years of use and joy, and we still use some of it. I know my Granddad would be happy to see me so happy, and hope that yours would feel the same.

• Like 6

On 8/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, alisoncooks said:

Thanks!  I’m so excited. 
Honestly, my granddad was a penny-pincher, thrifty to a fault…so I have no idea what he’d think. He’d probably tell me to put it in the bank, haha. But…I have no regrets. 😂

Maybe he was pinching his pennies so you could enjoy some of his money now! 

Congratulations on your fun new stuff!!!!!

• Like 1

I’ve been daydreaming about getting a kayak for a long time too. 🤣 I know I want one you sit in and I know anything 8 feet or less would fit in my van and I wouldn’t even need a trailer. My hold up is the need to try-before-you-buy. I just haven’t managed those logistics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’ve been daydreaming about getting a kayak for a long time too. 🤣 I know I want one you sit in and I know anything 8 feet or less would fit in my van and I wouldn’t even need a trailer. My hold up is the need to try-before-you-buy. I just haven’t managed those logistics. 

Do you have a kayak store in the area that is near a body of water? When we got ours, DH drove to a store an hour away that is by a river where you can try them out before purchase.
We have 10 ft kayaks that fit on top of our cars. If you are serious about kayaking, I strongly recommend splurging for extra good seats.

Thanks for celebrating with me!!  Part of the long-time holdup was the question of how to transport 3-4 kayaks.  This spring I started watching YouTube videos about converting small utility trailers to carry kayaks. And that led me to looking at actual kayak trailers ($$$!!!), and I loved the idea this particular model. Then (*chorus of angels*) one popped up in my town (so rare!), including the two kayaks, for $1500 less than trailer-alone list price. And lots of things fell into place to make it work out. 

I’ll do an update once we get on the water.  My plan is to sell the sit-in kayak that came with it (we all prefer sit-on) and use that money to buy a couple entry-level models for the kids. 

• Like 3