Menu

How do you transport your kayak/canoe?

alisoncooks

I'm thinking of getting a 3-person canoe (originally, I wanted kayaks but with 3 of us -- me + 2 tweens -- I'm now leaning toward a single canoe). 

I do have kayak and boating experience but never owned my own. My main concern is transport and loading. This will likely be a "mom and kids" hobby, and I can only carry/lift but so much (and the kids -- even less). 😉 

If you canoe/kayak, what is your setup? Rooftop transport or trailer? Do you use any lift assists to load it to the vehicle roof? How about a dolly to get it from car to water?  

My 9th grader got two  inflatable SUPs last x-mas.  I also got an inflatable kayak (two man) for me to provide on water support.  I think we will carry them in the trunk whenever he finally has time to get  on the water.   BTW all are pretty good, but not top notch quality. I think the kayak is 40-50 deflated, and the paddle boards somewhat less. 

• Like 1

We canoe a lot, and transport our canoes a lot.  We use standard roof bars.  We also have a set of wide bars for when we need to transport 2 canoes.

The easiest way to load and  unload is from the back of the vehicle **:  portage the canoe up to the back of the vehicle, place the bow on the rearmost roof bar and the stern on the ground behind the vehicle.  Then get out from under the canoe, lift the stern from behind, and slide the canoe forward into  position on the racks.  I can do this by myself with a 60 pound canoe.  Anything heavier takes a helper.

We tie down with 2 standard canoe cinch straps (NOT rachet straps - too much force can crack your hull),  over the hull and around each bar, and a y-strap at the front attached to the car's tow hooks, or to hood loops bolted to the frame (super easy to install).  I also tie down the stern to the back of the vehicle with a simple rope (not tight) to prevent forward excursion of the boat if we were to stop suddenly.

I have also used a foam car-top kit for a car without racks similar to this one.  It was secure.  The canoe rests on the roof on foam pads.  The cinch straps encircle the hull and encircle the car's roof (travelling a path inside the passenger compartment).  The only problem with this was that rain would wick through the straps into the car, so it was for sunny weather only.

We also have a cart for when the walk from parking to launch is far.  It's great for level ground.

I have only seen trailers used for mass canoe transport (think 6 - 8 canoes).  I have never seen a trailer used for a single canoe.  I think it would be a hassle.  It would definitely limit your parking options.

** ETA:  I am able to get the canoes onto DH's giant SUV solo with this method.  I have seen other paddlers pack a folding step stool to reach the strap fasteners.  I just open the doors and climb onto the seats to reach.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

I love canoes.  So versatile.  You can go solo, or pack in a bunch of kids.  You can pack in a lot of stuff (coolers, lawn chairs) if you want.  You can take along weak paddlers or passengers who don't paddle at all.  And when you get tired, you can switch to paddling on the other side.  In a kayak, when you're tired, you just have to suffer!☺️

• Like 2

We went the inflatable SUP route but still want kayaks.

My Forester has the bars, but at 5'3 I'm literally unable to get them on top. I'm plenty strong, just not tall enough. 

We are looking at inflatables--they make some really good ones now--but we aren't sure how suitable they are for sea kayaking and we don't want to feel limited.

• Like 1

Well, right now I have one kayak wedged under and between the 2 jet skis on the trailer and the other one will go on top/between the 2 jet skis for our trip tomorrow.

I have transported 2 kayaks INSIDE my minivan and got the hatch closed.  I have taken kayaks in my horse trailer when I had that.  Right now I have a small utility trailer that I can pull behind my minivan that will hold the kayaks.  My idea is to have a bike trailer for my kayak as well.

I love kayaks and wouldn't want a large canoe in case I wanted to just go out alone or meet friends with their kayaks.  I think though that it depends on when and where you are going, types of water, length of trip, etc.

I found that my Old Town kayak is great on our local spring fed bayou that is large and has lot of weird currents.  The sit on top kayak I tried was much harder to use on that water.  Then my friend finds that her 8 ft kayak is easier than my 11 foot one on smaller streams with lots of tighter turns, logs in the way etc.  If though we wanted to go out on Lake Michigan, we would want bigger sea type kayaks.

The inflatables look really interesting but i haven't seen one in person yet.

• Like 2

If you don't want to go with inflatables, choose lighter kayaks. We did not really pay attention to weight but mostly to stability and each kayak (2) weighs 50lbs. This is not super heavy for beaching and dragging in and out of water but when you have to lift it overhead onto the rack, they get heavy.

We have a small SUV with a factory rack and added special kayak racks to it. Not sure if those would work for a canoe.

Ours look very much like these:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/malone-j-loader-kayak-rack-16mauujldrxxxxxxxpsr/16mauujldrxxxxxxxpsr

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments. 

I'm leaning towards a canoe -- it seems the easiest (and most affordable) way to accommodate 3 of us. But they are heavy (80ish+ pounds), which is why I ask about loading and transport. 

We live very near a large lake. In the past, I've used a tandem, sit-on-top ocean kayak. I like that a lot, but I'd need two and that prices me out. 

8 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Thanks for the comments. 

I'm leaning towards a canoe -- it seems the easiest (and most affordable) way to accommodate 3 of us. But they are heavy (80ish+ pounds), which is why I ask about loading and transport. 

We live very near a large lake. In the past, I've used a tandem, sit-on-top ocean kayak. I like that a lot, but I'd need two and that prices me out. 

If it's you and two kids, could you get a smaller kid kayak (for the older or more experienced paddler) and one tandem kayak for you and less experienced / smaller kid? However, eventually the tandem kid will want his/her own probably. If you are just flat water kayaking (which is what we do), some of the less expensive kayaks should do fine. Just look at tracking reports. I don't like it when they don't track straight.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

We went the inflatable SUP route but still want kayaks.

My Forester has the bars, but at 5'3 I'm literally unable to get them on top. I'm plenty strong, just not tall enough. 

We are looking at inflatables--they make some really good ones now--but we aren't sure how suitable they are for sea kayaking and we don't want to feel limited.

Inflatable ocean kayaks:  https://www.boatstogo.com/ocean-inflatable-kayaks.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6s615qah4wIVk8DACh0e5Q3LEAYYAyABEgLOwvD_BwE

Not sure how tough they are. Perhaps depends if you have a lot of rocks near shore. 

• Like 2

My parents have Kevlar canoes by Wenonah, they are surprisingly lightweight and I can put them on an SUV or minivan by myself. They aren’t cheap but last forever.  Theirs are from the 90’s and still get used several times a summer.  I have seen used ones on Craigslist from time to time. 

• Like 1

We have 6 kayaks--2 adult-sized red ones, and 4 kid-sized yellow ones.  My dh invented this ingenious carrier for them whose base is a trailer thing (but it doesn't actually go on the ground) that goes into our hitch.  I blogged about it several years ago, back before we bought the second adult sized one.  It's easy to get onto the back of the big van, and I can load the kayaks by myself, although it's easier if a kid helps me.  Here is a post where I have pictures.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, AFwife Claire said:

We have 6 kayaks--2 adult-sized red ones, and 4 kid-sized yellow ones.  My dh invented this ingenious carrier for them whose base is a trailer thing (but it doesn't actually go on the ground) that goes into our hitch.  I blogged about it several years ago, back before we bought the second adult sized one.  It's easy to get onto the back of the big van, and I can load the kayaks by myself, although it's easier if a kid helps me.  Here is a post where I have pictures.  

That looks like an ingenious solution. How is it hitched onto your tow package ball? Does it have a coupler like a trailer?

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Liz CA said:

That looks like an ingenious solution. How is it hitched onto your tow package ball? Does it have a coupler like a trailer?

No, we took the ball part out. The base is supposed to be for you to drive a scooter or maybe a riding lawnmower up onto, so there's a ramp on one side (that flips up when not being used as a ramp), and then a flat base with a slight lip around it.  It has a long square part that fits into the hitch with a pin to secure it.  Bob just bought some longer pieces of metal to construct 2 more corners, with pieces connecting those corners to the existing ramp corners.  

We have another thing, a big "Stow-Away" box that we use when camping, that also hooks into our hitch the same way--a long square part and then a pin to hold it in.

This is the sort of thing he used, but ours was cheaper--about $100.  I think he got it from Lowes, but we're off to church, so this is the first thing that showed up in my search! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AFwife Claire said:

That really is fabulous. If canoes don't work out and we go the kayak route, that is on my Definite Possibility list. 

I found this YouTube video that looks promising (for easily loading  heavy canoes): 

• Like 1

We went with extremely light weight kayaks.  

Current Design has very expensive (for my budget—no biggie for some people probably) excellent hard fiberglass ones, very lightweight. 

. Seyvlor (? Spelling?) has less expensive inflatables.  

Around 20 pounds.  

At around 20 pounds and one person size kayak, the transportation issue is less a problem.  (Roof rack, large trunk, pick up bed...) 

• Like 1

We just became a two (single) kayak family, with everyone wanting more.  Our lake is nearby, so they’ve been going *inside my minivan with the back hatch open and most seats down.  Not a long-term solution!  We also have straps and wedges for one to go on the roof, but it isn’t worth the time for just going down the road.  We will need a better solution.

We do like single person kayaks, though. Everyone likes to do their own thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

We just became a two (single) kayak family, with everyone wanting more.  Our lake is nearby, so they’ve been going *inside my minivan with the back hatch open and most seats down.  Not a long-term solution!  We also have straps and wedges for one to go on the roof, but it isn’t worth the time for just going down the road.  We will need a better solution.

We do like single person kayaks, though. Everyone likes to do their own thing.

Dh and I contemplated getting a two seater but he likes to fish and I like to explore. I am very glad we got two kayaks.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

We have the standard roof bars too, and those are easy to use.  When you say a three-person canoe, I assume you mean the standard size?  That would fit, as would a single kayak for sure.  (We've done both of those.)  I think loading it on the roof top is so much easier than lugging a trailer.

• Like 1

All my thinking on this has me swinging the total opposite direction now; maybe I should just get three 1-person kayaks. I like the idea of transporting a small kayak inside the vehicle (seats down)...which would be fine for the trip to the lake (only a few miles).  But what about the ride back home? Isn't it wet and drippy? 

(But anyway, an 8-10 footer is light enough to put on the roof -- question is, can *I* easily/quickly strap down 3...)

• Like 2

Sit on top kayaks often go on sale or clearance towards the end of the summer.  We got a 2 for 1 deal 2 years ago, labor day weekend.  We drove to a store like Bass Pro Shop (but it wasn't that), in Wisconsin (not our state), just to pick them up after we found a great deal online.  I want to say it was a Cabela's, and we checked there only because DH got a Cabela's gift card in some raffle he entered.

So I would say if what you REALLY WANT is a kayak not a canoe, wait until you find a good deal.  Check Craigslist.  Check local stores that buy and sell them. Be patient.  Several times when I wanted something but saw no practical way to get it I said a prayer to get exactly what I wanted and then someone either gifted them to me or I found them for 90% less than I was planning on spending at an estate sale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

All my thinking on this has me swinging the total opposite direction now; maybe I should just get three 1-person kayaks. I like the idea of transporting a small kayak inside the vehicle (seats down)...which would be fine for the trip to the lake (only a few miles).  But what about the ride back home? Isn't it wet and drippy? 

(But anyway, an 8-10 footer is light enough to put on the roof -- question is, can *I* easily/quickly strap down 3...)

With a little practice with ratchet straps, yes you can strap them down easily.

And most of the water drains off them when you're carrying them from the water to the car, but yes, your carpet will get a little damp unless you have a good tarp down.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, alisoncooks said:

I think trailers are more expensive than kayaks, so I don't think that's a solution. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I’d say they’re “sort of” wet and drippy.  Not a whole lot more than the people, lol.  I will say that my van is starting to smell a tad bit lake-y, but it usually smells a tad bit chlorine-y in the summer from wet pool kids, and that’s always gone away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’d say they’re “sort of” wet and drippy.  Not a whole lot more than the people, lol.  I will say that my van is starting to smell a tad bit lake-y, but it usually smells a tad bit chlorine-y in the summer from wet pool kids, and that’s always gone away.

That is a good point (bolded). And we'd likely beach the kayaks and explore/splash around a bit (not to mention the wash over that you get with sit-on-top canoes).

6 hours ago, katilac said:

I think trailers are more expensive than kayaks, so I don't think that's a solution. 

Well, we have a trailer (just a regular flat bed thing, quite ancient) that I believe can be outfitted to carry kayaks. (But idk if my SUV will pull it...and it's a bit of a hassle to get, stored in the back yard, inside a fence...)

10 hours ago, Katy said:

So I would say if what you REALLY WANT is a kayak not a canoe, wait until you find a good deal.  Check Craigslist.  Check local stores that buy and sell them. Be patient.

Good reminder! Likely, we wouldn't even use them until after Labor Day (that's when our lake's summer fees end, and we can go for free during the week, lol).  Maybe we can catch something cheap at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

You didn’t ask this, but since you are leaning toward kayaks here’s a video review I found. This guy owns a kayak shop and did reviews on kayaks he bought from Dicks Sporting Goods. He has videos with other price points too. 

• Like 1